PDA

View Full Version : Skip the AP renewal

jonnalagedda
06-24-2009, 08:11 PM
I do not want to renew the advanced payroll, since I do not foresee travel within the next 18 months overseas. Is there a way I can skip the renewal this time around (1-year extension) and renew it the next time? If there is an emergency, I can still go to India and have the Visa-stamped since we have a valid H1/H4 right?
Are there any risks here?

vin13
06-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Advance Parole is not a requirement to maintain status. AP is used to get back into the country based on a pending 485. If you have a valid H1/H4 and just want to stay with it and get back on H1/H4 that is totally fine. AP is optional in your case.

cinqsit
06-24-2009, 08:36 PM
You can extend apply for AP (Advance Parole) ;-) at anytime provided you have your 485 pending so there should be no "risks"

only risk i see is that what if you have to travel and for some reason your H1 stamping gets delayed (if you have a AP you will be safe there)

Also their processing times keep on fluctuating - what if you later down the road are
in need of AP apply for one and then dont get it approved by the time you want to travel

Personally I prefer to just keep things simple and apply for AP renewals even though
I wont use them - just so that there is no "divergence" from the norm
Just so when USCIS officer is processing your case they wont have to think or
issue query to get clarification etc etc

cinqsit

kshitijnt
06-24-2009, 08:44 PM
I do not want to renew the advanced payroll, since I do not foresee travel within the next 18 months overseas. Is there a way I can skip the renewal this time around (1-year extension) and renew it the next time? If there is an emergency, I can still go to India and have the Visa-stamped since we have a valid H1/H4 right?
Are there any risks here?

As I read from your post, you are saying that you do not have H1 visa stamped in passport. These days consulates in India are pretty tough and they are issuing 221(g) etc for H1/H4 visa. And you could be denied visa for no fault of yours. It happened to my wife and it took 3 months for the consulate to get the clearance. So think about it. Personally for me AP is a very important document it allows you to travel in case of an emergency.