PDA

View Full Version : Query regarding B1 cancellation on getting h1.

jaggu
08-16-2009, 03:56 AM
Hi,

I am currently holding L1 and B1 visa from a company A. Now some company B has applied for my H1 Visa. If I get H1b visa, does both L1 and B1 get cancelled.

Thanks.

snathan
08-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi,

I am currently holding L1 and B1 visa from a company A. Now some company B has applied for my H1 Visa. If I get H1b visa, does both L1 and B1 get cancelled.

Thanks.

Yes...When you go for stamping H1...other visas will be cancelled.

rameshvaid
08-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi,

Thanks.

My son was on B1 and then on H4. B1 was stamped in 2000 for 10 years. He was with me in US for 4 years and had 1 stamping of H4 in his passport after 2000. He moved to Canada in 2005 but still visits me on B1 which was issued to him before his H4 stamping and B1 was never cancelled. I am not sure about L1..

RV

snathan
08-16-2009, 01:35 PM
My son was on B1 and then on H4. B1 was stamped in 2000 for 10 years. He was with me in US for 4 years and had 1 stamping of H4 in his passport after 2000. He moved to Canada in 2005 but still visits me on B1 which was issued to him before his H4 stamping and B1 was never cancelled. I am not sure about L1..

RV

When I went for H1B stamping my B1 was cancelled and I was told one can not have more than one visa at the same time.

rameshvaid
08-16-2009, 01:40 PM
When I went for H1B stamping my B1 was cancelled and I was told one can not have more than one visa at the same time.

You might be right but my son is with me as of today on the same old B1. H1 might be a different scenario.

jaggu
08-16-2009, 02:41 PM
I had L1 stamped first and then B1 and both for the same company. Because the company was same in both these cases, thats why there doesnt seem to reason for cancelling my B1. But this time, i am going for H1 stamping from some another company. It is sure that my L1 will get cancelled(because this is company specific visa) but have a doubt about B1.
Is there any way/process that i can have B1(which i got from existing company) and H1(from new company) at the same time.

neverbefore
08-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi,

Thanks.

My experience at H1B stamping was that they canceled all my previously stamped visas and wrote/stamped "CWP" or "Canceled without prejudice" on them

wandmaker
08-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi,

Thanks.

Your L1 will be CWPed for sure. I went for H1B stamping multiple times, my B1 was not CWPed

txh1b
08-17-2009, 10:47 AM

That is totally wrong on whoever said that to you. One can have B1 and work visas on their passport without any problems and use it based on the nature of the trip. Only conflicting visas will likely be cancelled. Eg would be L1 and H1 at the same time for different employers. The VO could cancel the one that isn't being used.

Either the VO that took your case wasn't well versed with the law or made a mistake.

rajsenthil
08-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi,

Thanks.

I have got valid H1 and B1 (expires 2013) stamped. The consulate did not cancel my B1 when I went for H1. Again it depends on the interviewer, for few of my colleagues, they cancelled the B1 and issued the H1.

kondur_007
08-17-2009, 12:31 PM
It's a flip of a coin:

1. Some VO cancel your all previous visas when stamping new one. If that happens, of course you can not use any of the previous visas.

2. Some VO are "lazy" to so; if they leave your B1 as it is (and do not cancel it), you can use it in future.

You can not "ask" them to leave your B1 alone (as legally they are required to cancel them). If you raise the questions during stamping, chances are that they "will cancel" it. So best option: Go for stamping and see what happens!

good luck.