PDA

View Full Version : HR 213 - bringing it to vote

Jambo
10-09-2015, 03:46 PM
I understand there are 57 cosponsors now. How many cosponsors are needed before it comes to the floor for a vote?

Bhishma
10-09-2015, 10:41 PM
Good Question. Let me get my calculator

aswami
10-12-2015, 02:46 PM
I understand there are 57 cosponsors now. How many cosponsors are needed before it comes to the floor for a vote?

Bringing a bill to vote in the House of Representatives doesn't depend on the number of sponsors. It depends on the Speaker of the House of Representatives. If he wants to bring it to vote, he can do it even if the number of sponsors is in the single digits.

aswami
10-12-2015, 02:52 PM
In 2012-2013, the Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill, which was already passed by the Senate, had plenty of sponsors in the House of Representatives and many more who were willing to vote for it. In fact, if it had been put for a vote, it would have passed with most of the Democrats and a few Republicans voting for it. But Speaker Boehner simply refused to even bring it to the vote. And the bill sunk! It was a sad thing to see.

So, yeah, even though a majority of Congressmen may be willing to vote for a bill (which means a majority of the country actually supports it), one man, the speaker can simply refuse to even allow a vote on it.