PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Action Item: #FighbackVBGate

hil3182
10-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Dear Friend,

We write to you with a follow up Action Item to push for a restoration of the September 9th Visa Bulletin (http://newsletters.getresponse.com/archive/ivnewsletter/BrokenPromises-226036205.html). Thank you for participating in October 1 flower campaign. It helped us attract the attention (https://www.facebook.com/ImmigrationVoice/posts/1014258235307067) to the Visa Bulletin Fiasco. We were told that Secretary Jeh Johnson was made aware of our Flower Campaign and that everyone in the DHS leadership is now aware of the Visa Bulletin Fiasco.

Even if you are not directly impacted, October Visa Bulletin fiasco will result in delaying the timeline when you and your family will file for Adjustment of Status. Therefore, it is time to press the accelerator so all of us are directly involved in making our voices heard.

Members of Congress (both Senators and Representatives of the House) have the ability to reach out to the Legislative Affairs office at the White House. The purpose of this action item is to persuade your representatives in Congress to reach out to their legislative point of contact at the White House and advocate on your behalf. If the legislative affairs office at the White House gets enough calls from Members of Congress, the matter will be escalated to a level from where an order to reinstate the September 9th Visa Bulletin can be issued.

Here is a broad script you could either personalize or use as-is. This is just a sample and we suggest you take the time to re-write and personalize this for your situation. You will be using your script at-least three (3) times - for your Representative in the House and two (2) Senators from your State. When you do personalize this message, the main theme is “Adjustment of Status” and how the inability to file Adjustment of Status caused by the reversal of visa bulletin change has affected you. Just filing for Adjustment of Status confers many benefits (including EAD-AP) to those with “approved immigrant petition” and we want you to use a clear message to let Hill staffers know that you feel let-down and cheated for being denied the legitimate opportunity to file for Adjustment of Status after years of waiting.

Click here (https://www.opencongress.org/people/zipcodelookup) to lookup your Members of Congress (in Senate and House of Representatives)

Here is a sample message:

Hi, I am ________ and I am calling from ________(city), ___________(state) and I am a member of Immigration Voice. I would like to speak with Legislative Assistant handling Immigration.

When transferred to the Immigration Legislative Assistant (or their voice mail), tell them (or leave a voicemail) which says:

Hi, my name is ________, I am a member of Immigration Voice calling from ________(city), ________(state). I have approved Immigrant petition since ______ and I am calling to share with you the effects of the recent unprecedented reversal of Visa Bulletin by State Department. This Visa Bulletin reversal [prevents me from filing Adjustment of Status] OR [has caused delay in my timeline when I will be able to file for Adjustment of Status] - something my employer and I have already paid thousands of dollars. Filing Adjustment of Status will allow me to change jobs, invest and/or start business, save many children from aging out and having to leave the country. Filing Adjustment of Status will also allow my dependents to benefit from in-state tuition and let my family to buy a house to put down roots to live our American Dream. I am calling to request you to please reach out to your Legislative point of contact at the White House to ask them about the real reason for the reversal of visa bulletin by State Department - and when the Administration plans to fix this Visa Bulletin, just as it was done in July-2007 so that my family and I can file for Adjustment of Status.

It is also very important that all Immigration Voice members actively participate in this Action Item to call your Senators and Representatives. We have been promised specific fixes by the Administration of which this Visa Bulletin modernization was supposed to be a significant part. We have been let down for this supposedly most easy fix and we need to be vocal about it - or we run the risk of losing or watering down our other upcoming fixes. Everyone waiting in backlogs is directly or indirectly impacted by this the Visa Bulletin Reversal. Therefore, it is important we all fight against this injustice together to restore the September 9th Visa Bulletin.

Thank you for your active participation!
Team IV
Immigration Voice

PS: Encourage your family & friends to actively participate in this #callcampaign to #FightbackVBGate

hil3182
10-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Fixed the lookup your Senators and Rep link, thanks for pointing it out: https://www.opencongress.org/people/zipcodelookup

DMX17
10-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Called my senators. One voice mail is full. The other staff asked me send email. Sending now.

Administrator2
10-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Called my senators. One voice mail is full. The other staff asked me send email. Sending now.

When sending email, you may want to send link to this document to provide background of the issue:

http://immigrationvoice.org/media/Immigration_Voice_October_2015_Visa_Bulletin_Fiasc o.pdf

DO NOT send emails without first talking to staffers. Emails without speaking or meeting with the staffers/policy makers are ineffective and not useful.

stuckinline
10-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Called mine. They already knew about it.

Is it ok to call offices from previous states I have lived in?

Bhishma
10-05-2015, 11:16 AM
I spoke to Congressman Kevin Yoder's office assistant (Kansas 3rd district). His office assistant made notes about everything I had to say and took my email and phone number and told me that their office will get in touch with me today.

Please let me know if you would like me to do anything else in the mean time

hil3182
10-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Called mine. They already knew about it.

Is it ok to call offices from previous states I have lived in?

Yes, if you have ties to a state, you should feel free to call, just make sure you have an address handy before you call.

hil3182
10-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Just got done calling the first two of 19 numbers today - ya I moved a lot :D

legalimmi11
10-05-2015, 11:40 AM
I called PA Senators. Toomey's office is aware of it and taking action to contact already. My congressman's office asked me to sign a form before they can reach out ? I tried to explain them that they need to contact the WH not the inquiry ? Let me know what I need to do in this case.

hil3182
10-05-2015, 11:42 AM
I called PA Senators. Toomey's office is aware of it and taking action to contact already. My congressman's office asked me to sign a form before they can reach out ? I tried to explain them that they need to contact the WH not the inquiry ? Let me know what I need to do in this case.

Jump through whatever hoops they want you to jump through to get the job done.

BABUG
10-05-2015, 12:11 PM
I Called the Below Offices for IL-8

Tammy Duckworth- Email sent( Unable to speak to the person handling immigration)
Mark Kirk- Email sent( Unable to speak to the person handling immigration)
Richard J Durbin Voice Mail(Their Office not willing to share email)

Thanks

racoon786
10-05-2015, 12:19 PM
I Called the Below Offices for IL-8

Tammy Duckworth- Email sent( Unable to speak to the person handling immigration)
Mark Kirk- Email sent( Unable to speak to the person handling immigration)
Richard J Durbin Voice Mail(Their Office not willing to share email)

Thanks

You can send email to Sen. Durbin's office through his website: Contact Dick Durbin | Contact | U.S. Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois (http://www.durbin.senate.gov/contact/email)

BABUG
10-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Thank you, I just sent the email from his website.

dkshitij
10-05-2015, 12:46 PM
I reached out to my two senators and congressman (all Rs) from Oklahoma. None of them transferred me to the legislative assistant. Noted what I was calling about and that was that.

monto1
10-05-2015, 12:50 PM
I called congresswoman/respresentative Bonnie Watson Coleman office ,senator's office of Cory Booker and Bob Menendez and spoke to the immigration assistant at their offices and to my surprise they are not aware of this issue and said they will pass on this message to the respective policticans.

I also emailed them as follow up.

Guys around Central Jersey/NJ please pick up your phone and call and make them aware of how important is this issue for us.

john_jony
10-05-2015, 12:51 PM
This is a good action item and will call them now. Anyone called CA senators .. I guess I will stall call them .. that way more calls means the message will go across as to how the people are suffereing.

I had already sent emails and paid office visit last week. So today a round of call and then hopefully some time we do a physical meeting with them ...

Thanks.

hil3182
10-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Done with 12 phone numbers, feel like a telemarketer :D

hopingForFreedom
10-05-2015, 01:39 PM
I am from Atlanta, GA and I just called both the Senators as well as Representatives. Two calls were forwarded to voice mail, and one front desk person gave me an email address of the Legislative point of contact for Immigration, emailed that person as well. I am encouraging my friends also to do the same....Thanks IV!! You rock!

DMX17
10-05-2015, 01:40 PM
I had one of the best experiences just now..... I talked to Bill Wilkinson at the DC office of Congressman Michael T McCaul of TX and have this channel open. He was nice and listened to my concerns.

He said he will follow-up directly with WH (based on an e-mail I am about to send him and the link of the IV page that Admin2 shared). He will also send my e-mail to all others that he think can help best. Feels good!

nchoontharu
10-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Called California senetor Dianne Feinstein,explained the issue , They are aware of the issue.I was asked about my zipcode.

crackjack9
10-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Called PA senators office. Explained the issue and will follow up again in a few days.
Putting polite pressure ! If most of us affected resident do this much, I am sure DHS will feel it and do something about it.

hil3182
10-05-2015, 02:06 PM
I had one of the best experiences just now..... I talked to Bill Wilkinson at the DC office of Congressman Michael T McCaul of TX and have this channel open. He was nice and listened to my concerns.

He said he will follow-up directly with WH (based on an e-mail I am about to send him and the link of the IV page that Admin2 shared). He will also send my e-mail to all others that he think can help best. Feels good!

This is the kind of stuff that moves the needle.

The bashing that takes place on other threads (and forums for that matter) is fun and might educate people, but is just talk. This is action.

DMX17
10-05-2015, 02:19 PM
This is the kind of stuff that moves the needle.

The bashing that takes place on other threads (and forums for that matter) is fun and might educate people, but is just talk. This is action.

Thanks man! You still rock with the number of calls you have made. Notwithstanding the talk!

namitxyz
10-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Contacted chuck schumer, kirsten gilibrand and carolyn maloney office. they were accommodative and said they with contact their peers in WH.

bnaik
10-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Contacted Congressman Bob Dold office IL-10 and spoke to the legislative assistant handling immigration. They were aware of the issue and are working on escalating it. Also sent followup email with the pdf link.

Going to visit their office later this afternoon.

john_jony
10-05-2015, 02:38 PM
I have been calling to the states where I have still the links .. one state where I still own home while another where I work. Yet another where I pay taxes. So I guess, it is better if we call the states where we have any past and thus there is some links established to call them. Some of them are awrare and just taking messages. I have tried to condense the messgae that I am ..... calling from ... am a grassroots member of an organization Immigration Voice. Recently there was an visa bulletin issued with July 2011 dates ... got retrogresed to July 2009. ... Medical bills and uncertainity .. please reach out your contact line from the original email .. then I add something that I feel too since it should be real and not scripted. I think everyone should do the same and it is fine to add aa, umm etc .. thats normal and obama uses aa a lot in sentences to sound real and human .. so use all that and call them all you can today. Some of them also gave me the emails which I plan to send across tomorrow. one thing to note is that this not personal case as some of them tell you, it is a general case which is impacting thousands of people across states and you are calling your local rep. to let them know of your grievances and to push the white house to have it reversed to july 2011 date. It is just adjustment of status after all not actual green card.... anyhow that need to be addressed using similar calls like this.

hil3182
10-05-2015, 02:41 PM
I am doing quite a few calls today, so I did hit the personal case confusion often - one way to expedite it is to ask to someone about Immigration Policy.

amit.vasp
10-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Hi

I have called

NC senators
Thom Tillis & Richard Burr
I was asked to fill privacy authorization form by Senator Thom Tillis office.
NC Representative

David E Price

Also was asked to email.

Currently sending emails along with attaching the pdf document provided in this forum.

missedthecut
10-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Called both senators of maryland and the representative of Maryland 7th district of congress.

Left a voice message for both the senators and sent and email to the House representative.

Jambo
10-05-2015, 03:48 PM
I live in the bay area. I called Congresswoman Jakki Speirs office, and it doesn't look like they were aware of this issue. I introduced myself as a member of immigration voice and told them that I was impacted by the reversal of this Visa bulletin. The staffer asked for my name, address, and email address.

I called Senator Boxer. Her DC phone mentioned that we could call her Oakland office as well, and so I did. The staffer seemed to be familiar with the terms "visa retrogression" and the like. She also mentioned that if I wanted a response, I should mail or fax a letter to their LA office.

Finally, I called Senator Dianne Feinstein's office. The first time I called the line was busy, but the second time somebody actually picked up. They did not seem to be familiar with what I had stated, but took down my grievances. They did not ask me for my name, but only for my ZIP Code. They mentioned that the senator gets a call report every day that she looks at. They also mentioned that if I wanted to email the center, I could fill out a form on the website.

shyamps
10-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Called both senators of maryland and the representative of Maryland 7th district of congress.

Left a voice message for both the senators and sent and email to the House representative.

"missedthecut" We have a local chapter group in Maryland. Please click this link & join us in the Maryland local Chapter to actively participate: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IVStChapterMD/

apurva2
10-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Left a message for Congressman Rodney's office, they said someone will call back.
Left a message for Senator Booker's office they said someone will call back.
Left a voicemail for Senator Menendez's office.

gchungry
10-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Left a message for Congressman Rodney's office, they said someone will call back.
Left a message for Senator Booker's office they said someone will call back.
Left a voicemail for Senator Menendez's office.

Called House of Rep office (Robert Pittenger) and left detailed Voice Message.
Called Sen. Thom Tillis's office and left voice mail as well as send message through his website.
Called Senator Richard Burr office and talked to His Immigration point person, explained situation. He asked for my name and address and requested email about issue. Send him email with PDF file URL.

dvsj
10-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Called and emailed offices of Sen. Barbara Boxer , Sen. Dianne Feinstein, and Rep. Anna Eshoo. I had called before emailing and addressed those emails to the person I spoke to.

ucf_sam1
10-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Called Sen Ron Wyden and Sen Jeff Merkley and Congresswoman.
Left a voicemail for all of them.

amit.vasp
10-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Hey GCHUNGRY

I have called and sent emails to Sen.Thom Tillis to his Immigration person.
and also called and sent information to Sen. Burr through his website.

Do you have an email address for Sen.Burr representative so that I will email him as well.

Thanks

vicky23
10-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Called Sen. Robert MenÚndez, the guys was aware of the problem along with Immigration Voice and he was like it is better if some one directly from IV shall contact them and they can work with them. Asked to send out email regarding the same.

gchungry
10-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Hey GCHUNGRY

I have called and sent emails to Sen.Thom Tillis to his Immigration person.
and also called and sent information to Sen. Burr through his website.

Do you have an email address for Sen.Burr representative so that I will email him as well.

Thanks

Hey Amit.vasp
I went to Home | U.S. Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina (http://www.burr.senate.gov) and chose Contact Us link. In there I mentioned "Attn: Ben" in message body and I referenced our phone conversation.

hil3182
10-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Called Sen. Robert MenÚndez, the guys was aware of the problem along with Immigration Voice and he was like it is better if some one directly from IV shall contact them and they can work with them. Asked to send out email regarding the same.

:D The guy who deals with Mendez's office is going to get a nice laugh out of that.

haranrk
10-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Called Anna Eshoo's office again. They are aware of the issue and they noted down my concern. They didn't connect me to the immigration staff unlike last time (Fri). I will call again tomorrow.

Called Dianne Feinstein's office and they noted down my concern. They said they are aware of this issue as well. Will followup with them again soon.

Called Barbara Boxer's office. No one at the DC office answered (busy for a long time). Called her Oakland office and left a voicemail for the immigration staff.

I will followup with all offices again tomorrow. Until they provide an answer.

bhargavsrinadh
10-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Called up Sen. Diane Feinstien and Sen.Barbara Boxer offices and in both the cases we were requested to open up a case which has a privacy statement. Until it's open they won't be able to discuss the issue. Has anyone else faced the same issue?

john_jony
10-05-2015, 08:32 PM
I called the ca senators office this morning and was able to explain the whole situation in the full. They did not ask for any privacy statement or any other thing that jacob was asking.
When they ask for case - tell them that this is not your specific individual case and for thousands of people. Even if they take your case number all they will do is ask USCIS and then let you know the same thing that you can get by accessing the USCIS website in the first place. So always say it is not your specific case. They are never of help in such cases anyway. Make it clear that its is legislative issue and you would like their support in getting White house legislative contact to probe this issue and get to the root cause of why this happened, how to fix , when will it be fixed and to revert it .. tell all this!

I am planning on calling the senators office from CA tomorrow. There seem to be a good number here from LA and also in facebook there was interest for meeting LA lawmakers.
There are two senators office in LA downtown and there is one local congresswoman in San Pedro Downtown - I have been to the San Pedro one and I am thinking if there is enough support we can visit all three offices and will also support if you want to go to nearby ones like Longbeach etc. We can coordinate that on facebook and figure thta out .. please join the FB group of CA chapter. Lots going on there.

Others - the negativity has gone down off late .. lets continue to keep it that way .. read up all posts and all views before commenting .. let us go with IV and also if you like other routes, execute them silently no need to advertise. Others will do as they feel well. Everyone here is a mature adult with families and kids and let us all act like one too.

john_jony
10-06-2015, 12:48 PM
that they got my message and they are looking into it .. got couple other senators from other state where I reside also .. today will continue calling few more senators and congressmen... I implore other folks also to call their resident state lawmakers as well as one where they work or had previos relationships ..

I somehow get the feeling that this time around people are less enthusiastic compared to 2007 when andhra population and gujus and tamils and marathis and practically everyone who also did not have any interest in the game - citizens, gc or students or someone down the line .. everybody pitched in ..this time around sadly I see some are keeping quite or maybe as IV says they are contributing and working in the background.

john_jony
10-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Is this thread dead ? No one is partcipating .. we are still calling the lawmakers today also right ? One thing I noticed is the big states of WA CA NY NJ VA TX and so on .. there are standard responses .. we need the more middle states such Ohio .. that is important , then Iowa, nebraska, maybe montana wyoming etc .. oregon or some places where we have less presence but the people there are willing to listen more. They understand the situation and do by the book and follow up. NC or SC might also fall in that category .. this listen to you. Florida or IL or MA etc might be higher on desi population but not sure if they are aware of this and participating at all . But if you worked in these states previously please use that .. look up the old zipcode and address and then call the local lawmakers from there .. Vermont, New Hampshire .. these are all good listeners same with any of the obscure states .. Not sure if anyone called Hawaii - there is an Indian origin senator right there .. there is also New Mexico and I dont know obscure states that are still follow the textbooks. If noise comes from all corners then at least we can be sure that we are being heard.

sengs
10-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Thread is not dead. We are discussing this issue in all different places including Facebook. Please keep calling.

ucf_sam1
10-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Called again today for the Oregon senators and congresswoman.
Spoke to the congresswoman's staff. She said they are aware of it and are getting multiple phone calls. She said they will look into it.

Left voicemails to the senator's office. Will call in the local office and see if we can get an appointment to meet in person to explain our cases.

Requesting my friends and family to call in as well.

TheSane
10-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Called Law makers from Oregon yesterday and followed up today with few more calls. Also, trying to make appointments with local offices for in person meetings.

Bhishma
10-06-2015, 03:54 PM
I just got a call back from Congressman Yoder's office. They are asking me to send them a waiver with these questions.
1. What concerns are you having with a federal agency?
2. What specific action are you seeking from our office?

Hil/Admins,
Can you please be specific about what should my reply be. I do not want to say something that may sound different when it comes to a larger audience

Thanks

nid15
10-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Called Rep Pallone. The staffer was really irritated and rightaway told me is this regarding the new DOS issue? Then asked me if it personally affects me. When I said yes, she asked me to call the local office and not DC office. I wonder what difference it makes.

john_jony
10-06-2015, 08:22 PM
It seems from the mail above some people get asked questions:
1. does it personally affect you ?
answer: it is not about my individual case .. this is about a legislative matter and impacts thousands of people. And we need the congressman/senator support in gettting the visa bulletin reversed back to the dates mentioned on september 9
2. Privacy statement: same as abvoe .. you dont need any privacy statement .. I got emails back from CA, DE, NJ .. all states that I am currently resident, working, paying taxes etc .. and all of them talked smoothly that they will take it up with the person who is handling this matter.
If you say individual you will get screwed. There is nothing they are gonna do about it in that case anyway. So if they take you in that direction or say privacy statement etc, you need to backtrack and say that this is a standard legislative issue. You and thousands like you are affected. Whether you are personally affected .. no need to say this as you could be a green card holder or a citizen and they dont care about that .. the law is law for all and it is same. The issue here is the unwarranted retrogression and just like in 2007, they need to address it and address it quickly .. not after another decade.

john_jony
10-06-2015, 08:28 PM
.. it is all there in the first page and besides you should know this if you are talking about it :)

in the interests of spoon feeding, the issue we are talking about is the visa bulletin reversal. The legislative branch in white house is what we are trying to reach thru the lawmakers.
The federal branchs are State Department, mainly Department of Homeland Security and then the USCIS .. mention all three. Dont get sidetracked.

Solution: Just like in 2007, please help us revert back to the September 9 bulletin or have it addressed in November bulletin .. either way, thousands of people are getting affected by this, folks who studied here, bought home here and families here and all are impacted due to the reversal. Spent thousands in processes required by september 9 vb. Help us get the vb reverted back or addressed in new bulletin .. mention the above branches and repeatedly tell them to use their considerable influence in the legislative contact in the white house.

Given that most of you understand IT, this is like a production issue and you throw all the available tools on the fire :) .. like someone said, dont allow some outside vendors to control the narrative .. wehther it is the lawyers or the staffer with the lawmakers.

You pay honest taxes dont you ? So ask them and keep persuading. Similar to what IV does on a day to day basis with them. This is a long haul game .. not a one day 20-20 game.

pandhi
10-07-2015, 11:58 AM
1) I called Senator Toomey's office and they said they have received many calls regarding this matter and senator is working with his staff on how to contact white house, they did not give any timeline on their plan of action

2) Senator Bob Casey's office did not pickup phone so left VM

3) Congressman Rothfuss office staff said no one has time to come on phone right now, best way to talk to legislative assistant is send email @ david.goldfarb@mail.house.gov

DMX17
10-07-2015, 03:10 PM

Hil/others - What is the estimated number of people affected again? 100,000 total and 30,000 families?

Here is what I am trying answer to my Rep's office (just recieved e-mail):

"Any idea how many individuals this affects in our district or Texas as a whole? This information could be useful for gathering support from other offices."

I am going to say no idea about my destrcit, but texas as a whole about 5K-10K people?

Need help.

john_jony
10-07-2015, 03:10 PM
One of my previous work and live state was Texas.

I called the local Republican congressman who was super receptive

In general I found republicans to be more receptive for legal immigration matters compared to democrats. One republican from TX was asking about number of people impacted etc. He wants that data.. can anyone from IV help on this .. I can pass the phone number then. Also, it would be good if TX chapter also chips in since it was TX senator. One person from national chapter, one from CA and one from TX can band together and get data and talk to this person in his DC office. He seems very supportive and needs more info ..

So we need leadership from IV to move in on this and get in touch with guy too to give him data.

Meanwhile now i am in CA and trying to go to office of local congressman as well as the two senators in downtown LA.

FB post: So I was talking with local congresswoman from San Pedro district ( near torrance, long beach area ) and trying to set up a schedule for about 4/5 of us to go meet her .. anyone interested in joining me in meeting her?
Am also free to meet up the two senators from CA in their downtown CA office .. when are we going to meet them in person ?

I guess we can coordinate that with CA FB chapter and if anyone interested please join int .. this is the right time ..

john_jony
10-07-2015, 03:36 PM
I got the same question from the Texas congresman

I said nationwide it is easily more than 50,000 but I dont know the exact numbers and someone from IV is always in DC at white house and they have better estimates on the number. For TX alone, I said I dont have the numbers. In any case they were likely focussing only on their district but I said it could be in thousands but its hard to say and that this is not something local but rather nationwide ... so wanted their support in legislative matter and force the state dept to revert it back like they did in 2007 july. Which btw also seem to be something he did not know so I had to explain that to him in full detail. But these guys - republicans were better receptives and better listeners .. I think we need to get them on our side and TX republicans are always good to have on our side for this.

It will be good if there is a wiki or something which puts the numbers impacted etc. Estimates only .. better yet, we need to have ONE person who will be always in touch with this staffer/congressman from this district. That way . for life . anything happens on this thing, we can just activate that one person via social media and he can start a dialogue. I volunteer to do that for south LA since I already spoke with the local congressman. Next up we are planning to meet them in person which I have put in CA fb chapter. Need about 5 people or so. Anyone from LA area till Irvine can join in though local would be easy to coordinate. We need people and numbers - thats how anything gets done here.

hil3182
10-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Regarding the questions about TX, can you join the IV TX facebook state chapter and ask them over there?

They are best equipped to give you the info.

If you don't get the info you need, feel free to harass the "Admins" there until you do - if you don't get what you need, they aren't doing their job.

hil3182
10-07-2015, 03:58 PM
Just got a reply back, there are approximately 60K H1-B's stuck in backlog in TX as per USCIS data.

You can make the argument that all were affected since a more generous reading of the VB affects all (directly or indirectly).

You contact in the TX chapter will provide more detailed info if they want more details.

DMX17
10-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Regarding the questions about TX, can you join the IV TX facebook state chapter and ask them over there?

They are best equipped to give you the info.

If you don't get the info you need, feel free to harass the "Admins" there until you do - if you don't get what you need, they aren't doing their job.

Thanks. Already posted on facebook there.

DMX17
10-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Just got a reply back, there are approximately 60K H1-B's stuck in backlog in TX as per USCIS data.

You can make the argument that all were affected since a more generous reading of the VB affects all (directly or indirectly).

You contact in the TX chapter will provide more detailed info if they want more details.

Here is my response....

Bill,

Thank you again!

While it is difficult to speak about our district other than my friends, I would say about 5,000 to 10, 000 people directly affected in Texas. This crisis indirectly affects, by delaying their edibility, about 60,000 applicants in Texas, per USCIS data.

Note that various news media have already highlighted this important and urgent issue. They estimate nationwide more than 50,000 people are directly affected NOW. Here are few articles:

Immigrants protest with flowers after green card mixup - Oct. 5, 2015 (http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/05/news/economy/green-card-mixup/index.html)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2015/10/06/blooming-protest/ox6ngC3HpxgjHW7l9zKgKL/story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/us/incorrect-count-on-visas-disrupts-lives-of-highly-skilled-immigrants.html?ref=topics&_r=0

Regards,

DMX

jleo9
10-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Here is my response....

Bill,

Thank you again!

While it is difficult to speak about our district other than my friends, I would say about 5,000 to 10, 000 people directly affected in Texas. This crisis indirectly affects, by delaying their edibility, about 60,000 applicants in Texas, per USCIS data.

Note that various news media have already highlighted this important and urgent issue. They estimate nationwide more than 50,000 people are directly affected NOW. Here are few articles:

Immigrants protest with flowers after green card mixup - Oct. 5, 2015 (http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/05/news/economy/green-card-mixup/index.html)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2015/10/06/blooming-protest/ox6ngC3HpxgjHW7l9zKgKL/story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/us/incorrect-count-on-visas-disrupts-lives-of-highly-skilled-immigrants.html?ref=topics&_r=0

Regards,

DMX

You've got a typo, I think you mean eligibility not edibility above

DMX17
10-07-2015, 05:00 PM
You've got a typo, I think you mean eligibility not edibility above

Thanks I noticed....:D Does not matter now. They already know those 60 people are not edible right now.

nid15
10-07-2015, 06:06 PM
I came across an article which says faxing is better than email.
How to be effective about contacting your senator: What Really Happens When You Call? (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/02/10/91524/-How-to-be-effective-about-contacting-your-senator-What-Really-Happens-When-You-Call#)

It is 10 years old so not sure if it still holds because they might be receiving faxes in emails.
However, there are free services which will send out faxes.

Send a Free Fax | My Fax Online Faxing Service | MyFax (http://www.myfax.com/free/) (2 free faxes / day)
Free Fax • Online Fax Service (http://www.gotfreefax.com/) (2/day)

hil3182
10-07-2015, 06:11 PM
I came across an article which says faxing is better than email.
How to be effective about contacting your senator: What Really Happens When You Call? (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/02/10/91524/-How-to-be-effective-about-contacting-your-senator-What-Really-Happens-When-You-Call#)

It is 10 years old so not sure if it still holds because they might be receiving faxes in emails.
However, there are free services which will send out faxes.

Send a Free Fax | My Fax Online Faxing Service | MyFax (http://www.myfax.com/free/) (2 free faxes / day)
Free Fax • Online Fax Service (http://www.gotfreefax.com/) (2/day)

If you act and think like a spammer, then yes.

But we are all high-skilled immigrants - and activists! We don't send unsolicited emails. We know that we need to do a phone call and only followup with an email after that conversation, don't we?

nid15
10-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Hi,

That is why I mentioned "after call" in my subject "Fax instead of email after the call"

Thanks.

hil3182
10-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Hi,

That is why I mentioned "after call" in my subject "Fax instead of email after the call"

Thanks.

Sorry, don't really read the title.

I think you are misunderstanding the problem.

The problem fax vs email is trying to solve is, how do you get their attention. The answer is neither since with a phone call they already have their attention. If they ask you to followup with an email, then you really really have their attention. It is also much easier for them to respond to an email than a fax.

nid15
10-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the explanation.
I was looking at numbersusa site and their actionboard is heavily designed for faxing and that is why I started looking deeper.

Sorry, don't really read the title.

I think you are misunderstanding the problem.

The problem fax vs email is trying to solve is, how do you get their attention. The answer is neither since with a phone call they already have their attention. If they ask you to followup with an email, then you really really have their attention. It is also much easier for them to respond to an email than a fax.

GCTopDream
10-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Do we still need to call regarding VB reversal? Or is this already a lost cause? There are no updates on the action items on any IV channel. I have completed my action items.

DMX17
10-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Do we still need to call regarding VB reversal? Or is this already a lost cause? There are no updates on the action items on any IV channel. I have completed my action items.

Let's not give up! I believe and trust that our side of efforts are still on. I think putting pressure through our reps is still an action item. Follow up etc.

max4438
10-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Should we focus on the HR213 front? 57 cosponsors now, we need to get the bill introduced,

GCTopDream
10-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Would one of the admins pls respond? Should we be expecting more action items or this is it?

parmodsatija
10-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Reply from Anna G. Eshoo, Member of Congress

I'm working with my colleagues to determine what can be done to help those who were planning to file under the new guidelines but were left out when the bulletin was revised. It's possible that the Administration may be able to provide some discretionary relief to those affected and it is my hope that the relevant agencies will correct this error. I will continue to update you as this issue progresses.

monto1
10-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Called the politicians offices again this morning lets not lose hope just because of TRO being denied. Admins,do you have action item to do peaceful protest /rally/campaign in DC?

sengs
10-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Reply from Anna G. Eshoo, Member of Congress

I'm working with my colleagues to determine what can be done to help those who were planning to file under the new guidelines but were left out when the bulletin was revised. It's possible that the Administration may be able to provide some discretionary relief to those affected and it is my hope that the relevant agencies will correct this error. I will continue to update you as this issue progresses.

Thats a strong response. Not every Congress member responds that positively.

john_jony
10-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Not in writing but via talking with staffer from TX and VA .. they were good the repubs heard while the demos from CA kinda took for granted but some from NJ were good like the booker one but the menendez one was a black woman likely ...words fell in deaf ears there i think.

Long timers in gc line may know this but what exactly is the nitty gritty of this. In the sense that I saw for EB2, those from before September 2008 PD have got gc and the rest are waiting. They cant file the EAD too till the date becomes current. However due to recent bulletin changes, those until Sep 2009 will be able to file for EAD and still wait in the GC line correct ? For those after september 2009 till july 2011 .. they will still wait now till AoS line gets current and then file for EAD. Then they will join the above group in GC line. Is my understanding correct for EB2? Please forgive the dates as I might have messed it up. But for EB2 the above is the general story right ? All too often I find someone in EB2 from 2009 or 2010 saying they got it. Maybe they are in NIW category. My understanding was that only EB1 is current and the remaining two have to wait .. and same story for family visas too unless you are spouse .. this whole things seems to be a mess. No neatness at all and it is as if someone let it become a mess and fix bandaid since they know its only the big lines in china and india that might suffer. Funny thing is chinese also seem to be getting it faster than the indians. their eb2 and eb3 is comparatively faster. I mean, whats really going on here ??

deshpsj
10-08-2015, 05:11 PM
Contacted Bob Dold (10th district of Illinois), Richard Durbin, Mark Kirk.

In both senators office, legislative assistant handling immigration was not available but the person who spoke with me did note down my message. I followed by sending an email to both senators from their website by including the link posted by Admin.

When I called Bob Dold's office, person on the phone told me to send an email to David Stern which i did after the call.

Hope they are now taking these messages seriously! If not, I guess time to move to HR 213 action items.

Thanks!

pulpfiction
10-09-2015, 12:08 AM
Called 2 senators offices (Mass) and left VMs last few days. Yet to hear back. Spoke to the district reps staff. She was very sympathetic about the situation but said they may not be able to do much this time because the VB was reversed before becoming effective. Have requested for a meeting appointment wth the congressman (Stephen Lynch MA-08). If I get the appointment, will reach out to friends and others around Boston who may be interested in joining. I wish there is more I could do at this time.

On a side note, it is disappointing to see people trolling forums and picking fights with each other even though everyone is desperate for the same thing. Around 30000 impacted just by this fiasco, there's gotto be a way to organize ourselves synergize and do much more as a community.I hope IV has not given up the fight yet.