PDA

View Full Version : Medical Insurance- A problem for Immigrants

BABUG
06-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Hi
I recently experienced a situation where I need to pay fine for not having insurance to my Dependents when they are out of the country. Most of us know that these insurances will not be accepted outside the country and there is no point in paying the insurance when there is no coverage. I was doing this from some time but last year because of the Affordable care act I was told by my tax paying company that I need to pay fine which is around 1.5 of the taxable income and for this year its going to be more than 2%.
This rule sounds dumb. Anyone had these experiences.

jsd123
06-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Could you please explain the situation in detail ? Were your buying insurance from...State/Federal health Exchange or Covered by your Employer ? etc etc.

BABUG
06-24-2015, 03:42 PM
I am getting insurance through my employer. So bascially when they flew out of country say for 5 months i will take them out of my insurance and when back i will add them to my insurance.

jsd123
06-24-2015, 04:16 PM
As per PPACA residents of USA have to be insured at all times. If you claim somebody as your resident dependent when filing taxes, you also have to purchase insurance for them. If your dependent joined you later during the year after the enrollment period, you may avoid penalty.

Please visit following links:

Obamacare: Visitors, International students, immigrants & US citizens (http://www.visitorguard.com/obamacare-for-usa-visitors-and-immigrants/)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/health-care/2601279-my-wife-came-to-u-s-in-july-2014-only-that-s-when-we-started-her-health-insurance-from-what-reason-shall-i-provide-for-not-having-her-health-insurance-till-june-2014

BABUG
06-25-2015, 12:22 AM
Thanks for sharing the info.

I just called the healthcare.gov support line to check if i really need to pay fine when out side the country.
They asked me check the excemptions list on their website. When checked here is what i found You are excempted if "You’re not lawfully present in the U.S"
Even the support staff conveyed the same message.