PDA

View Full Version : Unfair Taxation

jsd123
04-12-2015, 09:48 AM
I have been pondering about this issue since quite some time and what better time to bring this up than Tax week !!

I believe IV has a very pragmatic approach towards bringing fairness to employment based immigration and expedite the process. The ground reality so far has been that there has been some wins along the way and its slowly gaining momentum (I hope) and is still far from being fair.

In the meantime there are thousands of individuals (families) who have worked in the USA for a number of years and contributed towards social security and medicare while waiting for GC. With the current situation of skilled immigration system a number of these families (are forced) go back to their home countries after spending a very long time of their careers in the USA (much more than 40 quarters required to be eligible for SS & Medicare benefits).

The individuals who go back to their home countries which do not have a totalization agreement with USA, stand too loose a significant support towards their retirement security. Not to mention that by that time the spouses of these (H1B) visa holders who were prevented from working for so long have almost become dependent on their earning spouses for their retirement life too.

I believe that the current system is very unfair to individuals and families who fall in the above category. As per my rough calculation an average skilled worker would end-up being taxed to the tune of $ 80,000 on a average (in 10 years) with no claim on the benefits.

I was hoping if IV can shed some light on what's their opinion about bringing fairness to these would-like-to-be immigrants who ended up to be non-immigrants due to the delays in the system. Where does this issue stand on IV's long list of agenda ?

jsd123
04-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Here is an article from forbes explaining the issue more clearly and approaching it from the trade treaty perspective...

The India, US Totalisation Agreement; Difficult To Argue Against Really - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/11/24/the-india-us-totalisation-agreement-difficult-to-argue-against-really/)

As the article clearly mentions, this issue mainly affects immigrants from India (considering the EB3 priority date for China is Oct 2011) since India is the only major country with which USA does not have a totalization agreement and that has a decade long GC backlog. Note that getting a GC does not solve this issue. YOu are not eligible for receiving SS cheque overseas unless you are a citizen or there is a totalization agreement.

Murthy
04-12-2015, 04:44 PM
After contributing 10 yeas to SS, you will be eligible to get SS benefits even if you are left US . No agreements are needed. Please read old IV blogs on this subject Yes you will lose,if you leave US before 10 year contribution to SS. It is a donation. Medicare Taxes always donation for any one, if you are not planned to settle in US.
Here is an article from forbes explaining the issue more clearly and approaching it from the trade treaty perspective...

The India, US Totalisation Agreement; Difficult To Argue Against Really - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/11/24/the-india-us-totalisation-agreement-difficult-to-argue-against-really/)

As the article clearly mentions, this issue mainly affects immigrants from India (considering the EB3 priority date for China is Oct 2011) since India is the only major country with which USA does not have a totalization agreement and that has a decade long GC backlog. Note that getting a GC does not solve this issue. YOu are not eligible for receiving SS cheque overseas unless you are a citizen or there is a totalization agreement.

Suva
04-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Can you please share any link? I am interested to know.

After contributing 10 yeas to SS, you will be eligible to get SS benefits even if you are left US . No agreements are needed. Please read old IV blogs on this subject Yes you will lose,if you leave US before 10 year contribution to SS. It is a donation. Medicare Taxes always donation for any one, if you are not planned to settle in US.

jsd123
04-12-2015, 05:34 PM
You can open an account with SSA at The United States Social Security Administration (http://www.ssa.gov/)

Once you have an account it is easy to see if you are accumulated enough credits and what is your estimated ss or disability income.

I too would like to see a link that says that you are eligible irrespective of your citizenship and residency at the time of your eligibility.

jsd123
04-12-2015, 05:45 PM

I found this thread...Thanks Murthy !!

Social Security benefits awareness - Immigration Voice (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum107-interesting-topics/3026199-social-security-benefits-awareness.html)

Murthy
04-12-2015, 06:18 PM
International Programs - Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States - Country List 4 (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/international/countrylist4.htm)