PDA

View Full Version : ACTION ITEM: Please call to oppose H-1B amendment to the budget bill in the Senate

Administrator2
03-25-2015, 04:43 PM
THIS IS VERY VERY URGENT AND TIME SENSITIVE ACTION ITEM.

PLEASE MAKE CALLS TO SENATE OFFICES RIGHT NOW TO REGISTER OPPOSITION TO HATCH H-1B AMENDMENT #1025 TO THE BUDGET RESOLUTION

Senator Hatch has introduced an amendment #1025 to the Budget resolution. This Hatch amendment will:

* increases in the annual H-1B cap
* exemptions for advanced degree holders from the H-1B cap

Although Senator Hatch's Immigration Innovation bill (also called I - S Q U A R E D act) had fixes for eliminating per-country limits. Immigration Innovation bill also adequately increased green cards and had many other good fixes to overhaul the system. Here is a thread for summary of Immigration Innovation bill.

Breaking News: Immigration Innovation Act introduced in the Senate - Immigration Voice (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/3096109-breaking-news-immigration-innovation-act-introduced-in-the-senate.html)

But it seems some companies don't like employees getting green cards. So this Hatch amendment #1025 has stripped almost all the green card fixes from Immigration Innovation bill and retained the H-1B increase to unlimited number by exempting all advanced degree holders from the H-1B cap. In the past, the idea was to exempt all advanced degree holders from green card count. But companies have twisted that idea to now push for exempting all advanced degree holders from the H-1B cap.

According to our calculations, this hatch amendment #1025 will increase the current 1 million green card backlogs in in 10 years to 10 million people waiting in the green card backlog. And because the per-country limits will not be removed, most people in the current backlog will continue to wait for decades, rather rest of your life.

Hatch amendment #1025 does propose recapture of unused visas. But the recaptured visas will be subject to 7% per-country limits and it will have keep 98% of everyone from backlogged countries in the decades long green card backlogs.

We strenuously oppose any amendment to increase H-1B visas without adequate green card fixes. That is why we ask you to call every Senate office to say the tell them that you OPPOSE Hatch amendment #1025 to Budget Resolution bill.

Here is a link to find the contact information of your Senator:
U.S. Senate: Senators of the 114th Congress (http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm)

This is a message you can relay:

"Hi, I am ________ and I am calling from ___________ and I am calling from Immigration Voice to speak with Immigration Legislative Assistance to the Senator."

If the person at the reception asks the reason for the call, then say:
"I am OPPOSE Hatch amendment #1025 to Budget Resolution bill and I would like to know Senator's position on this amendment."

When transferred to the Immigration Legislative Assistance (or their voice mail), tell them that:

"Hi, My name is ________ and I am calling from ___________ and. I am member of Immigration Voice. I am calling to register my opposition to Hatch H-1B amendment #1025 to Budget Resolution bill .

What is the position of your boss on Hatch's H-1B amendment #1025 to the Budget Resolution bill? This amendment will increase H-1Bs to unlimited number.

I am/was on H-1B visa and even I oppose increasing H-1B in the manner Hatch amendment is increasing. H-1B visa do not create jobs. Green cards create jobs.

I want to start a company but I cannot do that without a green card.

If Congress wants to create more jobs, then please pass bill to increase green cards and eliminate per country limits on Employment Based Green cards.

Hatch H-1B amendment will increase green card backlog and exploitation of immigrants, which leads to discrimination against Americans in the job market.

This is H-1B amendment wrong at so many levels.

Please tell the Senator to oppose Hatch H-1B Amendment because it WILL FOR SURE hurt Americans and will create an environment of exploitation of more H-1B workers who have to wait in backlogs for decades.

I will encourage you to please consider supporting removing per country limits on EB system and increasing green cards"

I am counting on Senators oppose any attempt to not throw U.S. workers and immigrants workers under the bus. Please tell the Senator to OPPOSE Hatch's H-1B amendment #646 to the Budget Resolution bill.

Thank you for speaking with me."

rajarak
03-25-2015, 05:09 PM
Just called Senator Durbin and Mark's office.

Surprised how this became a priority all of a sudden, thought this would go nowhere when Senator Sessions and Grassley are in charge.

gulute
03-25-2015, 05:11 PM
Called CA senators Dianne Feinstein and Barabara Boxer's office.

Administrator2
03-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Just called Senator Durbin and Mark's office.

Surprised how this became a priority all of a sudden, thought this would go nowhere when Senator Sessions and Grassley are in charge.

Any H-1B bill will have to to though the committee. But since this is amendment on Budget bill, it will be voted directly on the Senate floor and will not need to go through the regular process.

The way amendment is structured, it increases some fee on H-1B and is designed to show that the H-1B fee is bringing in revenue. So it has been added to the Budget Resolution bill.

hil3182
03-25-2015, 05:31 PM
This is most important!!!

I called my guys.

mkrishnam
03-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Any H-1B bill will have to to though the committee. But since this is amendment on Budget bill, it will be voted directly on the Senate floor and will not need to go through the regular process.

The way amendment is structured, it increases some fee on H-1B and is designed to show that the H-1B fee is bringing in revenue. So it has been added to the Budget Resolution bill.

Is it possible to get any senator to propose a similar amendment to increase GCs (By recapture\ not counting dependants\ raising the number of GC's)?

May be they can raise the fee and show it as bringing in revenue?

Administrator2
03-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Actual amendment is also attached to the original post.

Administrator2
03-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Is it possible to get any senator to propose a similar amendment to increase GCs (By recapture\ not counting dependants\ raising the number of GC's)?

May be they can raise the fee and show it as bringing in revenue?

In politics, public opposition is expressed after there is no way to salvage anything.

At this point, we have to first call to prevent damaging amendment from going in.

Folks here need to understand that you are up against a well massively funded well oiled lobbying machinery of many companies.

While in the immigrant communities some folks are busy fighting with each other, world will not wait for until they can restore their sanity. Please guys, stop wasting your time on these internet forums. Do yourself and your families a favor and not waste your time on forums, rather invest your time in speaking up and making a difference.

Please continue to make phone calls until you speak with Immigration Legislative Assistance in the Senate office.

rajarak
03-25-2015, 05:42 PM
As i read through the amendment, i see there is a mention of "recapture of unused green cards"

May be i am missing something?

Administrator2
03-25-2015, 05:46 PM
As i read through the amendment, i see there is a mention of "recapture of unused green cards"

May be i am missing something?

You are. Please read the first post of this thread.

rupen
03-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Called

rajarak
03-25-2015, 05:48 PM
sorry, got little excited there

greyhair
03-25-2015, 05:52 PM
My wife and I just called both the Senators from our State. I will now start calling every Senator. Can someone post the list of all 100 Senators with their phone numbers. My wife and I will call every Senator.

braveone
03-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Thank you for posting this and keeping us abreast about what is going on. Cannot find this anywhere online. I will call Senators.

sengs
03-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Done. I also posted my comments on Sen. Warren's FB page, and tweeted to both Sens. Markey and Warren.

Do we need to tweet/call/email Sens. Sessions and Grassley? An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

Administrator2
03-25-2015, 06:04 PM
sorry, got little excited there

No worries at all. And before anybody else will jump the gun, this is not a decision between recapture or getting nothing at all . This is about getting recapture PLUS OTHER FIXES v/s just getting recapture.

If we call to register our opposition then we have a better chance to get much needed fixes to address the backlogs. When other groups (companies) are getting everything they want, this amendment is throwing bread crumbs at us. We need to speak up and ask for proportionate fix for the immigrants in backlogs.

Some people have the tendency to act foolish and they will start jumping up and down by saying - "IV is against recapture". And as always nothing can be further from the truth.

When no one is getting anything or every group is getting some fixes, then we will take recapture. But if companies are getting sun and the moon, it is be foolish to support such a deal because that doesn't work for us.

Any amendment or bill that increases H-1B bill must proportionately increase green cards. Or else we are left with no choice but to oppose such amendment or bill.

anshu
03-25-2015, 06:08 PM
Done. I also posted my comments on Sen. Warren's FB page, and tweeted to both Sens. Markey and Warren.

Do we need to tweet/call/email Sens. Sessions and Grassley? An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

Don't west your time to Mr. Grassley, senators & house of Representatives playing hide and seek game.

Administrator2
03-25-2015, 06:11 PM

Whatever you do or not do, DO NOT send any message to Sen. Sessions and Grassley. Anything you send them will only come back to hurt the cause. We kept on telling everyone the same thing back in H.R.3012, but some idiots would not listen. They would get into the face of Sen. Sessions and Grassley. Is there anyone here who believes that you can convince or change Sen. Sessions and Grassley's mind? If not, then you will only end up hurting the cause. We have been advised professionals to stay away from Sen. Sessions and Grassley.

Administrator2
03-25-2015, 06:15 PM
They are working on increasing H1s. That's what this is about. We have been part of the discussion sitting in the room. That is why we are sharing this. You can continue to understand whatever you want.

If companies get unlimited H1 increase, you can pretty much kiss any green card bill good bye.

Administrator2
03-25-2015, 06:45 PM
You seem to have a tendency to come across as if you know more and everything that IV is doing is wrong. If that is the case then why don't you start your organization and do what you think is right? Were you sitting in the room when discussions for this amendment? And rather than attacking us that we are wrong, why don't you first do your due diligence? Frankly you have no clue what you are up against and always come across as if "IV is the enemy".

We already shared before If companies get unlimited H1 increase, you can pretty much kiss any green card bill good bye. This is the truth. What part of this do you not understand?

You can believe what you want to believe. Officially IV is not for or against H-1B increase. But we do want immigrants to have same rights as US workers. If immigrants have the same rights to change employers then bad employers will not have the incentive to hire immigrants for the wrong reason, and that will prevent discrimination against Americans in the job market. And one way to get those rights is to give immigrants green cards and resolve green card backlogs. This is our position.

Now if you disagree, you can go elsewhere. We are not going to argue with you on this thread. This thread has a specific purpose and we are not going to be distracted by what you as one single person understand or not understand. This is a lot bigger than your ego.

Administrator2
03-25-2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. We already said that this is exactly what we have been saying in the meeting rooms. Now when they have not listened, they have to hear from public (which is the reason for these calls).

You cannot ask everyone to call to negotiate with every Senate office. That is not how it works. These public calls for putting in pressure on Senate office for not doing what they are doing, so they do green cards.

This is going to be the last post on this topic from you on this thread. You are free to open another thread to discuss this. You as one person is not more important than everyone waiting in backlogs, so this ought not be limited by what you understand or know. Just because you don't know what is being discussed in the backrooms doesn't mean that this action item is wrong, which is the impression that you are trying to create.

waitingnwaiting
03-25-2015, 06:55 PM
I guess I may be living in a dream world or just too naive to understand politics. Instead of just opposing increase in H1B Quota, we should say H1B Quota should not be increased without a corresponding GC Quota increase, Per Country limits are removed, Recapture, Dependents not counted etc..

I don't claim to be an expert but based on my limited knowledge here is what I thnk--You are 6 month late for saying that. You missed advocacy meetings. Did not make any political contributions or attended the raising dinners etc. We were all Busy on forums or Facebook discussing and criticizing. I still see some people tweeting everyday from their fake anonymous usernames begging to get greencard or EAD. That is so funny and idiotic by the so called high educated people.
Anyways it is too late to come in with ideas. Each bill takes several years of work in prepping lawmakers of your issue by spending lot of money. Our 100 dollars each every month to IV can help achieve it . We are late in the game and are in yes and no stage and cannot negotiate.

dhakaldoo
03-25-2015, 07:02 PM
I don't claim to be an expert but based on my limited knowledge here is what I thnk--You are 6 month late for saying that. You missed advocacy meetings. Did not make any political contributions or attended the raising dinners etc. We were all Busy on forums or Facebook discussing and criticizing. I still see some people tweeting everyday from their fake anonymous usernames begging to get greencard or EAD. That is so funny and idiotic by the so called high educated people.
Anyways it is too late to come in with ideas. Each bill takes several years of work in prepping lawmakers of your issue by spending lot of money. Our 100 dollars each every month to IV can help achieve it . We are late in the game and are in yes and no stage and cannot negotiate.
Called my senetors. I know there is no time! Its going through tomorrow. Please call ur offices and leave mesaages. Its okay if your office is closed. They do encourage you to comment on issues on a vm.

spulugur
03-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Same here. Calling and leaving voice messages. Every call counts.

waitingnwaiting
03-25-2015, 07:18 PM
I don't see how being 6 months late to anything is relevant to this specific amendment. Are you saying that this amendment was being crafted 6 months ago by Hatch? Stop being over smart or just plain silly.

I know you are active on a lawyer website kissing a$& and in the past attacked IV
So I want to alert everyone about your intentions

If you are so smart why don't you negotiate with Senator and get a greencard amendment ASAP
Why are you wasting your time arguing with people here who know you are an anti immigrant ( because you have some other motive or get something for opposing the effort of the only organization of immigrants). Or you are plain dumb and want to go cut the branch of tree you are sitting.

sengs
03-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Please let us not get carried away from the main intention of this thread.

Administrator2
03-25-2015, 08:54 PM
A few members sent in messages saying some lawyer is suggesting that this budget "resolution" meaning nothing. Here is a response to that -

Oh ya, then why are companies willing to give away arm and a leg to get this through? If this doesn't mean anything, then no one should be spending energy to push this through correct? Lawyers just want more immigrants to come and get stuck in the system, that way lawyers make more money. That is what most immigration lawyers want. This is not a secret. We don't trust any immigration lawyer with policy advice.

rupen
03-25-2015, 09:01 PM
A few members sent in messages saying some lawyer is suggesting that this budget "resolution" meaning nothing. Here is a response to that -

Oh ya, then why are companies willing to give away arm and a leg to get this through? If this doesn't mean anything, then no one should be spending energy to push this through correct? Lawyers just want more immigrants to come and get stuck in the system, that way lawyers make more money. That is what most immigration lawyers want. This is not a secret. We don't trust any immigration lawyer with policy advice.

It was not long ago to remember what those lawyers were saying in uscis call

agopal
03-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Called and left messages for both senators from the state of Missouri

rupen
03-25-2015, 09:16 PM
If you are leaving voice mails today, try calling them again tomorrow

maxy_77
03-26-2015, 09:16 AM
called NJ senators. urge everyone to jump on this please.

bobby123
03-26-2015, 09:43 AM
Called both IOWA Senators Chuck and Joni.

moon_walker333
03-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Called the two Texas senators yesterday and left message.

mayhemt
03-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Called both Florida Senators offices and registered my opposition.

anshu
03-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Called both IOWA Senators Chuck and Joni.

Why u call Chuck? He is no 1 anti immigrants. Don't call chuck and session.

Suva
03-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Called one NJ Senator's office and left a voice mail.

tsnaresh
03-26-2015, 09:50 AM
I called Senator Brown and Senator Portman offices and registered my opposition to the amendment.

Thank you

rajarak
03-26-2015, 09:53 AM
Why u call Chuck? He is no 1 anti immigrants. Don't call chuck and session.

remember your calling to oppose amendment 646 ,so its ok to reach out to anti-immigrant senators too

mayhemt
03-26-2015, 10:02 AM
I googled for Amendment 646, nothing relevant is coming up. Is there Bill or Amendment text available somewhere? Not that I am skeptic about the message, I just want to read the contents..

The closest I got is this:
https://www.congress.gov/amendment/114th-congress/senate-amendment/646

bobby123
03-26-2015, 10:03 AM
I'm on the same page, even Chuck is anti immigrant this time he may oppose it.

hil3182
03-26-2015, 10:04 AM
remember your calling to oppose amendment 646 ,so its ok to reach out to anti-immigrant senators too

The goal isn't to kill the amendment.

The goal is to get our provisions in the amendment (Per-country cap removal, dependent exclusion etc) - not kill it.

The strategy is to call until we get what we want - and then stop calling.

So, please play along and call.

Someone on IV's facebook page posted the following:

In preparation for today's calls I created a spreadsheet with the senators name, party, state and phone numbers.

I suggest printing it out before you start calling and strike names off the list as you get done.

http://tiny.cc/k4u3vx

mayhemt
03-26-2015, 10:07 AM
I googled for Amendment 646, nothing relevant is coming up. Is there Bill or Amendment text available somewhere? Not that I am skeptic about the message, I just want to read the contents..

Never mind, found the attachment in the original post..

hil3182
03-26-2015, 10:16 AM
The only way we are going to beat this is if we call, call and call.

sengs
03-26-2015, 10:34 AM

Please read the first post on this thread. Everything is listed there, including the PDF copy of the amendment and IV's explanation.

sengs
03-26-2015, 11:08 AM
Thanks for guiding us through this. Hopefully all the concerned stakeholders i.e. all of us will be doing/done our part and calling/called the senators and voice/d our disagreement. However, I am bit scared-

Understanding that politics is a dirty game that is played under the table, how badly is this going to affect the President's EO that we are waiting for to happen? :confused :(

hil3182
03-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Understanding that politics is a dirty game that is played under the table, how badly is this going to affect the President's EO that we are waiting for to happen? :confused :(

We can figure that out over the weekend. For now, its time to act - things are moving quickly. Call numbers on the below list and register your opposition to Budget amendment #1025.

The simple one minute script that I am using goes something like: I am calling to oppose Senator Hatch's budget amendment#1025 because it increases the cap on the number of H1's without dealing with serious issues in the H1-B program like multi-decade long green card waits for some H1 holders which drives down wages for both Americans and Guest workers.

checklaw
03-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Called Sen.Booker office and conveyed opposition and reached VM at Sen. Menendez office with same message

Ramalingam
03-26-2015, 12:56 PM
We can figure that out over the weekend. For now, its time to act - things are moving quickly. Call numbers on the below list and register your opposition to Budget amendment #1025.

The simple one minute script that I am using goes something like: I am calling to oppose Senator Hatch's budget amendment#1025 because it increases the cap on the number of H1's without dealing with serious issues in the H1-B program like multi-decade long green card waits for some H1 holders which drives down wages for both Americans and Guest workers.

Every time they tried to do some attachment of immigration related to budget or other spending bills but failed. But this time could be different as GOP is majority in both houses after 8 years. Majority of democrats will oppose but still Hatch has clout in both the parties. Hatch very well aware that he cannot pass his bill in committee without adding some restrictions as Grassley will ask compromise any immigration legislation. So he is going short cut way. If he succeeds to add the amendment then nothing can be done. But still Mitch Mcconnell may have some power to prevent the amendment. I think effort by IV could be used to change the mind of neutral Senators if it comes for Voting.

agopal
03-26-2015, 01:00 PM
Went to voice mail and left another message

hil3182
03-26-2015, 01:26 PM
If you have the time, feel free to call Senators in other states.

These guys aren't making laws just for their states but for the whole country.

hil3182
03-26-2015, 01:28 PM
If you have the time, feel free to call Senators in other states.

These guys aren't making laws just for their states but for the whole country.

There is a convenient list here: http://tiny.cc/k4u3vx

Takes me around 2 minutes per phone call.

Message I usually go with goes something like:
I am calling to oppose Senator Hatch's budget amendment#646 because it increases the cap on the number of H1's without dealing with serious issues in the H1-B program like multi-decade long green card waits for some H1 holders which drives down wages for both Americans and Guest workers.

rupen
03-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Called 25 offices so far. Please try to call all offices, not just your state's

hil3182
03-26-2015, 02:09 PM
IMPORTANT: Hatch #646 is now Hatch #1025.

If you called anyone earlier please call them back and let them know.

That b@st@rd changed the bill number on us.

sengs
03-26-2015, 02:28 PM
IMPORTANT: Hatch #646 is now Hatch #1025.

If you called anyone earlier please call them back and let them know.

Keep calling guys. This is a poison pill. We must kill it before it kills all our efforts.

sengs
03-26-2015, 02:48 PM
" More than 600 amendments had been filed as of Thursday morning, some aimed at creating tough calls for the Republicans eyeing presidential runs or defending their Senate seats in swing states. Only a fraction of those will come to final consideration but the so-called vote-a-rama will last into the night." "The budgets themselves are nonbinding and do not require a presidential signature. Once each chamber passes its version, the House and Senate will try to agree on a common plan, something that last happened in 2009. Then lawmakers will draft separate legislation to implement the programs."

Senate up next after House passes bold conservative budget (http://news.yahoo.com/senate-next-house-passes-bold-conservative-budget-070825074--finance.html)

Looks like if Hatch amendment is passed, although non-binding there are enough reasons for Hatch to draft a legislation to implement his resolution.

Please keep calling. I think it is also important to call the Republican offices more, because these resolutions do not have to go through 60-40 vote but simple majority is enough. If Republican senators vote against this amendment, it will be easier to kill.

skal
03-26-2015, 03:51 PM
Called VA Senator Mark Warner & Tim Kaine's office to oppose.

agopal
03-26-2015, 06:04 PM
From the top of the list. In most cases they took a message and said will pass it along.

I got to speak with the immigration legislative assistant at senator Boozman's office (Arkansas). She agreed that it is unrealistic expectations to increase H 1 cap without any increase in the GC number and said will pass the message along to the senator

The offices are now closed (6pm ET). Will resume calling tomorrow morning

P.S. They hung up on me at senator Blomonthal's office. Not sure why. I just announced my name and the organization.

agopal
03-26-2015, 06:06 PM
From the top of the list. In most cases they took a message and said will pass it along.

I got to speak with the immigration legislative assistant at senator Boozman's office (Arkansas). She agreed that it is unrealistic expectations to increase H 1 cap without any increase in the GC number and said will pass the message along to the senator

P.S. They hung up on me at senator Blomonthal's office. Not sure why. I just announced my name and the organization.

I meant senator Bloomenthal (CT)

rbusgc
03-26-2015, 06:12 PM
If #958 gets through H1B will be dead for all practical purposes.... :confused: .... Anyway will call Senate offices tomorrow regarding Hatch #1025.

rupen
03-26-2015, 06:12 PM

I was under the impression that they will wind this up by tonight

amulchandra
03-26-2015, 06:19 PM
If #958 gets through H1B will be dead for all practical purposes.... :confused: .... Anyway will call Senate offices tomorrow regarding Hatch #1025.

I cannot find the text. Can you please let us know what the amendment is about or provide a link.

Thanks
Amul

hil3182
03-26-2015, 06:22 PM
I was under the impression that they will wind this up by tonight

They are winding this up tonight. If you can reach an office which is open, It is now or never.

rupen
03-26-2015, 06:42 PM
They are winding this up tonight. If you can reach an office which is open, It is now or never.

Vote happening in few mins

whiteStallion
03-26-2015, 08:31 PM
Any updates on the vote ?

rupen
03-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Any updates on the vote ?

Has not happened yet. Stillv waiting

Viskon
03-26-2015, 08:50 PM
Live blog for anyone interested.

Budget Tracker | Senate Republican Policy Committee (http://www.rpc.senate.gov/budgettracker)

agopal
03-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Is listed as #1029 in the blog. Am I missing something?

rupen
03-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Is listed as #1029 in the blog. Am I missing something?

That one is different. It is on tax rate

sengs
03-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Looks like in the final hours before voting started 646 was split into 646, 1017 and 1025, with same or smilar content. Either to confuse callers or to take the chance to get one of three passed. I cant beleive these people are so cunning.

rupen
03-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Looks like in the final hours before voting started 646 was split into 646, 1017 and 1025, with same or smilar content. Either to confuse callers or to take the chance to get one of three passed. I cant beleive these people are so cunning.

I agree ! First lawyers on uscis call and now this. Wee are seeing too much too fast !

sengs
03-26-2015, 10:41 PM
I agree ! First lawyers on uscis call and now this. Wee are seeing too much too fast !

I am worried about the trickling effect of this poison pill on president's EO. Nothing has been announced yet, and USCIS can take these precedents into account and give adverse recommendations and jeopardize the entire process. This is s#it scary.

Administrator2
03-26-2015, 11:36 PM
Seems like all the phone calls did have the intended effect. Hatch amendment doesn't seem to have enough votes and it appears that Sen. Hatch may not press for vote on his amendments to increase H1 visas.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this extremely important action item.

We WILL Win!

whiteStallion
03-27-2015, 12:24 AM
Yay....thats a great victory of all of us. Thanks IV for keeping us informed !

rupen
03-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Seems like all the phone calls did have the intended effect. Hatch amendment doesn't seem to have enough votes and it appears that Sen. Hatch may not press for vote on his amendments to increase H1 visas.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this extremely important action item.

We WILL Win!

Great work and congratulations to all

braveone
03-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Someone online said that

Congress is only working on budget resolutions. It is basically a roadmap for spending and revenue generation. This does not even need the President's signature. The Hatch amendment was basically a place holder for future revenue generation by increasing H1B cap. After that, they will have to work on the actual budget and the specific items will still need to be voted on as separate legislation.

UPDATE:

The Budget resolution did pass by a vote of 52-48 strictly along party lines. But this budget also has provisions of repealing the ACA so it is not going anywhere. I think yesterday's issue was made a mountain out of a molehill. Congress has not passed a budget for a while and this is not passing either.

I trust IV and come here get the true story. Was H1B visa increase vote about nothing?

namitxyz
03-27-2015, 10:52 AM
This was an important effort because it sends a very strong message to all the senators and house representatives that the companies cannot influence increase in H1Bs without support from grassroots organizations which support increase in green cards - ie Immigration Voice and AFL-CIO.

Any legal immigration reform bill which comes under consideration going forward WILL have language which increases the green cards because standalone H1B increase bill would never pass senate as demonstrated yesterday.

hil3182
03-27-2015, 11:03 AM
The Budget resolution did pass by a vote of 52-48 strictly along party lines. But this budget also has provisions of repealing the ACA so it is not going anywhere. I think yesterday's issue was made a mountain out of a molehill. Congress has not passed a budget for a while and this is not passing either.
I trust IV and come here get the true story. Was H1B visa increase vote about nothing?

There are several issues with that analysis:

1. There is always the possibility that when the House and Senate actually do compromise with the White House and pass a budget that the President signs that contains the H1 increate -- would you want us to take that chance?
2. Even if (say) the measure passed the Senate, but did not make it into law, it would send the Republicans and Corporations a message that an H1 increase only bill is politically possible. Momentum will shift from bills that could help us, like HR.213 to bills that would hurt us like the SKILS visa act.

rupen
03-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Someone online said that

If it was for nothing, why did companies put their weight behind this? Why did they not include green cards ? Why did ALIA requested support for this ? Why did many other organizations take position and make lot of phone calls ? If you were making calls yesterday, you might have realized that they were receiving lots of phone calls for many provisions including this one. I do not believe they were doing it for nothing. Most likely those who are dismissing this now would have worked overtime yesterday.

hil3182
03-27-2015, 11:21 AM
If anyone has any doubts about AILA's (and other immigration lawyers) sensitivity towards our issues (namely the backlog), you can see their recommendation in the following link:

AILA - AILA Vote Recommendations to the Senate Budget Resolution (http://www.aila.org/advo-media/tools/take-action/aila-supplemental-vote-recommendations-senate)

If these votes were that inconsequential, why were AILA lobbyists pushing for this?

This is a huge win and for us. It is very clear that the only bill with any possibility of passing is HR.213.

rupen
03-27-2015, 11:23 AM
If anyone has any doubts about AILA's (and other immigration lawyers) sensitivity towards our issues (namely the backlog), you can see their recommendation in the following link:

AILA - AILA Vote Recommendations to the Senate Budget Resolution (http://www.aila.org/advo-media/tools/take-action/aila-supplemental-vote-recommendations-senate)

If these votes were that inconsequential, why were AILA lobbyists pushing for this?

This is a huge win and for us. It is very clear that the only bill with any possibility of passing is HR.213.

It was not long ago to remember what they had to say in uscis conference call

hil3182
03-27-2015, 11:25 AM
It was not long ago to remember what they had to say in uscis conference call

Good point --- though casual observers might not have listened to the call.

shyamps
03-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Someone online said that

If you are in a boxing match, and your opponent sees your weakness, then he will try to maximize his effort to exploit your weakness so he can defeat you :). In the Same way, if companies heavily lobbying for increase in H1 visas yesterday had gotten a hint of a clue that they could get away by sneaking in a stand alone H1B legislation through the hatch amendment in the budget resolution bill, then they might be more emboldened to use the same tactic in future to circumvent the Senate Judiciary committee. That would also give these companies less incentive to support our cause, since they know there is room for them to manuver away from addressing green card backlog issues.

Yesterday's failure to garner enough votes for companies lobbying for H1 visas is a clear indication to them and congress leaders that they have to come back to the bargaining table and follow the due process to pass immigration legislation. That means they will have to address green card backlogs if they want to see increases in H1B visas and not just stand alone H1B increase bills which will be harmful to America. My thoughts are that H1 visas may not increase at all and it is likely they may have to fix green card backlogs instead. But as you know, anything can happen in politics...

rupen
03-27-2015, 11:47 AM
If you are in a boxing match, and your opponent sees your weakness, then he will try to maximize his effort to exploit your weakness so he can defeat you :). In the Same way, if companies heavily lobbying for increase in H1 visas yesterday had gotten a hint of a clue that they could get away by sneaking in a stand alone H1B legislation through the hatch amendment in the budget resolution bill, then they might be more emboldened to use the same tactic in future to circumvent the Senate Judiciary committee. That would also give these companies less incentive to support our cause, since they know there is room for them to manuver away from addressing green card backlog issues.

Yesterday's failure to garner enough votes for companies lobbying for H1 visas is a clear indication to them and congress leaders that they have to come back to the bargaining table and follow the due process to pass immigration legislation. That means they will have to address green card backlogs if they want to see increases in H1B visas and not just stand alone H1B increase bills which will be harmful to America. My thoughts are that H1 visas may not increase at all and it is likely they may have to fix green card backlogs instead. But as you know, anything can happen in politics...

Things are usually not how they appear, in this case just as someone said that it is not binding etc, when we look at above points, it is clear that it is important. Now person who is saying that it is not important, there might be 2 things. He is either ignorant or do not want you to know the truth. LoOking at how dirty politics is, i would like to believe the later.

shyamps
03-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Things are usually not how they appear, in this case just as someone said that it is not binding etc, when we look at above points, it is clear that it is important. Now person who is saying that it is not important, there might be 2 things. He is either ignorant or do not want you to know the truth. LoOking at how dirty politics is, i would like to believe the later.

Yes rupen, i agree with you, its hard to say what the intentions of the person who says this is not important is. He maybe conspiring behind your back to prevent people from knowing the truth. That is quite possible.

spinupol
03-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Hope that the columbusdude sees above AILA recommendations, the transcript of USCIS's call and the lawyer's statements in another forum to connect the dots.

hil3182
03-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Hope that the columbusdude sees above AILA recommendations, the transcript of USCIS's call and the lawyer's statements in another forum to connect the dots.

What lawyers statements?

waitingnwaiting
03-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Someone online said that

Must be some lawyer who said that and you worship a lawyer? :D:D:D:D

Ramalingam
03-28-2015, 11:01 AM
If it was for nothing, why did companies put their weight behind this? Why did they not include green cards ? Why did ALIA requested support for this ? Why did many other organizations take position and make lot of phone calls ? If you were making calls yesterday, you might have realized that they were receiving lots of phone calls for many provisions including this one. I do not believe they were doing it for nothing. Most likely those who are dismissing this now would have worked overtime yesterday.

Same in the line. If nothing why numbersusa was active in opposing Hatch amendment. Also why Grassley was trying to put amendment 960. If Hatch would have pressed his amendment Grassley would have tried 960. So it was right thing done by IV. Any bill which includes H1B raise without protection will be opposed by Grassley. I think Grassley and Sessions are retiring on 2016 and need to see how anti H1b immigrants react after that.

Administrator2
03-28-2015, 08:20 PM
someone online said that

i trust iv and come here get the true story. Was h1b visa increase vote about nothing?

Braveone, This is the outlook of someone who is naive or has very superficial understanding of the process and politics of immigration. Whosoever this is, you want to ignore this entity because it is not advocating a credible response.

Politics is not linear. And no one can parachute at the last minute in the middle of an immigration bill to stop a bill. Immigration bills needs a lot of work to set the stage. But once the stage is set, it is difficult to change/add/stop a bill by parachuting at the last minute. That is why we have to get involved in a strategic manner every step of the way. We have eyes and ears on the ground to provide most accurate information of what is happening, and when we need to respond. I don't believe that this person/entity has deployed any such assets. That is why their information/understanding is wrong, and IV is right. If Hatch amendment were a molehill then why would company lobbyist deploy all their assets (including direct call to Senators from CEOs of large tech companies). Clearly the person/entity you are quoting doesn't have the grasp of what is happening on the ground.

This amendment was setting up the stage and marker as to how many Senators support H1 increase. If this would have passed, the House members would be emboldened to introduce and pass SKILLS Visa Act to increase H-1 visa without proportionately increasing green cards. Now that the amendment did not come up for vote (because they realized that there weren't enough yea votes) it sends a clear message H1 increase visa bill from the House has less than slim chance of passing in the Senate. And no one wants to take over the risk of putting their name for a bill that won't attract positives (because the bill would not pass), but could sure attract whole lot of negatives (from the constituents who did not like the vote). Just because the amendment did not come up for vote doesn't mean no body has taken a notice of how this played out. Everyone had their eyes on Amendment #646 (later 1025). So the result did matter.

Additionally, there were other reasons for getting everyone involved. Even though we would like to share, we cannot share everything on the open forum. If this amendment had no meaning then why are immigration lawyers mourning the demise of this amendment?

Immigration peculiar subject and it has strange partnerships. Many other groups also opposed this amendment for their own reasons. We did for our reasons. But the end result is relevant.

You may want to further read this thread:
https://www.facebook.com/ImmigrationVoice/posts/893237120742513

dhruva12
03-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Admin ... Whats the most likely positive development in this direction? The most frustrating thing for me is that Mar 20th has passed, and there is no credible information on what USCIS has recommended for EO... I want to switch jobs but wary of the whole PERM process re-start ..

1.) USCIS starting the rule making process
2.) H.R 213 moving forward?
3.) I^2 moving forward..

Administrator2
03-28-2015, 08:56 PM
Please post your question is relevant thread. This thread is about Action Item for the Hatch amendment.

stan1IV
04-29-2015, 12:53 PM
I oppose this rule of increasing H1 quota and stripping out GC possibilities.

braveone
04-29-2015, 04:22 PM
i oppose this rule of increasing h1 quota and stripping out gc possibilities.

+1