PDA

View Full Version : Action Item Alert: Call your Member of Congress for Recapturing Unused Green Cards

Administrator2
03-04-2015, 04:45 PM
ACTION ITEM ALERT: This action item is VERY important given that it could help us get 200,000 green cards if Members of Congress (House Representatives) request the President.

We are reaching out to seek your help with getting Congressional support for recapturing of unused green cards from the previous years.

Representative Scott Peters (CA-52) and Representative Joaquin Castro (TX-20) are requesting congressional signatures on a 'Dear Colleague' letter calling on the President to pursue green card recapture from years past.

We believe that with sufficient support from the Congress, there might be a way to recapture unused green cards through an Administrative action.

Here is what we ask from you:

1. We ask that you please call the DC office of your Member of Congress. Please go to Find Your Representative House.gov (http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/) to find your Member of Congress and their phone number.

2. Ask the person at the reception: "My name is ______ and I am calling from the district. I am a member of Immigration Voice and I would like to speak with the Legislative Director (LD) or Legislative Assistant who handles Immigration."

Most offices know Immigration Voice. So when you say you are member of an organization and that you are calling from the district, it adds more weight to your call.

3. If they are unavailable, then leave the following message: "Hi, my name is _____ and I am a resident of _______ in the district. I am a member of Immigration Voice and I am calling to discuss a 'Dear Colleague' letter being led by Rep. Peters and Rep. Castro. This letter is requesting the President to pursue recapturing of unused green cards from previous years. It is estimated that such a measure will help over 200,000 tax paying law abiding skilled immigrants, who after receiving their green cards will be able to start their companies throughout the country, and in the district. This letter and idea already has support of many Congressional offices. And I would like my member of Congress to support this initiative."

Ask how you can be helpful in assisting the Office to make their decision, and let them know that you will call back later to find out if your Representative was able to look at your request. Thank the staffer for his service.

Thanks for doing your share!

shining
03-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Thanks, will call for sure --

Have a QQ

Can you provide more details on what changed and why only 200K --

Administrator2
03-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Thanks, will call for sure --

Have a QQ

Can you provide more details on what changed and why only 200K --

We provide response if we have the information and if we are not asked by the other party not to share openly. The most expeditious way to lose trust of anyone is to put everything online. We do not violate the trust of people who trust us with certain information. That depends on what details you seek.

What do you mean by what changed? Could you please elaborate your question? And need some context of your questions, what do you mean by why only 200K?

Administrator2
03-04-2015, 08:57 PM
At this time we have following Members of Congress as Cosigners to the letter -

Representatives Vargas, DelBene, Swalwell, Cardenas, and Veasey.

We believe that following offices are more included to sign the letter. Please call the Member of Congress of your area. But if you have a friend or an acquaintance in the district of following Members of Congress then please reach out to your friend or acquaintance asking them to make phone calls:

Representative Bera
Representative Blumenauer
Representative Bonamici
Representative Cardenas
Representative Castor
Representative Castro
Representative Chu
Representative Cicilline
Representative Cleaver
Representative Cohen
Representative Connolly
Representative Conyers
Representative Susan Davis
Representative DelBene
Representative Deutch
Representative Doggett
Representative Duckworth
Representative Eshoo
Representative Fattah
Representative Foster
Representative Garcia
Representative Al Green
Representative Gene Green
Representative Grijalva
Representative Alcee Hastings
Representative Himes
Representative Honda
Representative Horsford
Representative Huffman
Representative Jackson Lee
Representative Jeffries
Representative Kilmer
Representative Kind
Representative Lewis,
Representative Matsui
Representative McGovern
Representative Moore
Representative Neal
Representative Negrete McLeod
Representative Norton
Representative Scott Peters
Representative Pingree
Representative Pocan
Representative Polis
Representative Quigley
Representative Tim Ryan
Representative Linda Sanchez
Representative Loretta Sanchez
Representative Schiff
Representative Schneider
Representative Schrader
Representative Swalwell
Representative Takano
Representative Mike Thompson
Representative Van Hollen,
Representative Vargas,
Representative Veasey
Representative Vela
Representative Waters
Representative Waxman
Representative Welch

namitxyz
03-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Is there any particular emphasis that needs to be made when we call the representatives with respect to the number of republican co-signers vs the number of democratic cosigners?

Basically, my question is whether we need more support from republican representatives as compared to democratic representatives or we are looking to cash in as many signatures as possible irrespective of which aisle they belong to?

Administrator2
03-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Is there any particular emphasis that needs to be made when we call the representatives with respect to the number of republican co-signers vs the number of democratic cosigners?

Basically, my question is whether we need more support from republican representatives as compared to democratic representatives or we are looking to cash in as many signatures as possible irrespective of which aisle they belong to?

Rep Peters and Castro are Democrats. There cannot be a bipartisan letter for any Administrative action. When Republicans are in Majority they would not like to see the President of the other party do Administrative fixes. Politics run deep on Admin fixes and we need to mindful of this fact.

The letter will be signed by only Democrats. Calls to Democratic offices will help in getting support for the letter. When 100 Members of Congress sign a letter, that help gives cover to the Administration to make a change. This is what are assisting to achieve.

Republicans House members are not expected to sign the letter. However, calls to Republicans offices will help for adding to the tally to show support for the fix to help push back for any opposition to recapture Admin fix.

Hope this explains.

namitxyz
03-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Thank you for a clear and concise explanation. The point is well understood. My representative is a democrat. I will call her tomorrow and urge all my friends to do the same.

shining
03-05-2015, 12:20 AM
Sorry --Please ignore my question (I was misinterpreting it with not counting derivatives vs. recapture)
Best
Shining

We provide response if we have the information and if we are not asked by the other party not to share openly. The most expeditious way to lose trust of anyone is to put everything online. We do not violate the trust of people who trust us with certain information. That depends on what details you seek.

What do you mean by what changed? Could you please elaborate your question? And need some context of your questions, what do you mean by why only 200K?

prince_nagi@yahoo.com
03-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Rep Peters and Castro are Democrats. There cannot be a bipartisan letter for any Administrative action. When Republicans are in Majority they would not like to see the President of the other party do Administrative fixes. Politics run deep on Admin fixes and we need to mindful of this fact.

The letter will be signed by only Democrats. Calls to Democratic offices will help in getting support for the letter. When 100 Members of Congress sign a letter, that help gives cover to the Administration to make a change. This is what are assisting to achieve.

Republicans House members are not expected to sign the letter. However, calls to Republicans offices will help for adding to the tally to show support for the fix to help push back for any opposition to recapture Admin fix.

Hope this explains.

Now I get it , as I called my district representative David Schweikert and didn't get a good response from his office. He is republican :(

rupen
03-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Called

moon_walker333
03-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Now I get it , as I called my district representative David Schweikert and didn't get a good response from his office. He is republican :(

Republican for me too. I guess no use calling then.

rsr_am
03-06-2015, 03:10 PM
as someone mentioned earlier in this thread or on facebook, if you have a democrat congressman, talk about the letter, if its a republican seek their support on HR 213

konerusai
03-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Left a message. As IV mentioned.

slysurfz
03-06-2015, 05:57 PM
I am all for doing this and will do my part.

I am a bit confused... so this is going to be in addition to existing Admin Action. if so
1. Was he not considering this when he did the first one ?
2. How does a letter from congress members enable him to do something which he did not do in his major reform action?
3 Does the President have the authority to recapture without congress passing a bill?

Please share some wisdom

looivy
03-06-2015, 08:53 PM
What is the timeline? Assuming Mr O signs how long would it take to be applicable.

ACTION ITEM ALERT: This action item is VERY important given that it could help us get 200,000 green cards if Members of Congress (House Representatives) request the President.

We are reaching out to seek your help with getting Congressional support for recapturing of unused green cards from the previous years.

Representative Scott Peters (CA-52) and Representative Joaquin Castro (TX-20) are requesting congressional signatures on a 'Dear Colleague' letter calling on the President to pursue green card recapture from years past.

We believe that with sufficient support from the Congress, there might be a way to recapture unused green cards through an Administrative action.

Here is what we ask from you:

1. We ask that you please call the DC office of your Member of Congress. Please go to Find Your Representative House.gov (http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/) to find your Member of Congress and their phone number.

2. Ask the person at the reception: "My name is ______ and I am calling from the district. I am a member of Immigration Voice and I would like to speak with the Legislative Director (LD) or Legislative Assistant who handles Immigration."

Most offices know Immigration Voice. So when you say you are member of an organization and that you are calling from the district, it adds more weight to your call.

3. If they are unavailable, then leave the following message: "Hi, my name is _____ and I am a resident of _______ in the district. I am a member of Immigration Voice and I am calling to discuss a 'Dear Colleague' letter being led by Rep. Peters and Rep. Castro. This letter is requesting the President to pursue recapturing of unused green cards from previous years. It is estimated that such a measure will help over 200,000 tax paying law abiding skilled immigrants, who after receiving their green cards will be able to start their companies throughout the country, and in the district. This letter and idea already has support of many Congressional offices. And I would like my member of Congress to support this initiative."

Ask how you can be helpful in assisting the Office to make their decision, and let them know that you will call back later to find out if your Representative was able to look at your request. Thank the staffer for his service.

Thanks for doing your share!

rupen
03-07-2015, 12:21 PM

I am a bit confused... so this is going to be in addition to existing Admin Action. if so
2. How does a letter from congress members enable him to do something which he did not do in his major reform action?
3 Does the President have the authority to recapture without congress passing a bill?

Please share some wisdom

You are right. It Is confusing. But rather than worry about why they did not choose to say tthis ealier and why now, we should be happy that they are considering this now and hence the need of the letter. What we wanted seems to be happening. So, we should just jump on this rather than doing past analysis.

sengs
03-07-2015, 12:59 PM
You are right. It Is confusing. But rather than worry about why they did not choose to say tthis ealier and why now, we should be happy that they are considering this now and hence the need of the letter. What we wanted seems to be happening. So, we should just jump on this rather than doing past analysis.

Well said Rupen.

rsr_am
03-07-2015, 01:15 PM

+1 - we want the output. we will do what ever is asked for!

sengs
03-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Performed the action item with due diligence and follow-up calls. Now waiting with lots of hope to get the backlog cleared. :)

hil3182
03-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Done. Called my Rep and sent a followup email.

Asked for both signature on Dear Colleague letter and co-sponsorship of HR.213.

spicy_guy
03-10-2015, 01:57 PM
Done!

rupen
03-10-2015, 02:41 PM
There were many offices listed from california as most likely to sign. If you have friends in California who stay or work in democrat districts, please ask them to make a call

sengs
03-10-2015, 02:47 PM
There were many offices listed from california as most likely to sign. If you have friends in California who stay or work in democrat districts, please ask them to make a call

I have asked my friends and family in CA to call and I know they have done because many of them are lingering in the same situation. It would be interesting to know if these representatives have already signed or not.

I don't know why anyone would not perform this action item. This is the strongest action item from IV (other than the Capitol advocacy sessions). This is our best chance to get out of this misery.

rock581
03-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Called my Rep .

rajarak
03-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Earlier today, i had a meeting with congressman Mr.Foster's(D) office director. Hope they find out more on the Dear Colleague letter initiative.

Do we know if any other reps have expressed support so far?
on FB, i see update from March 4th but nothing afterwards.

rupen
03-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Earlier today, i had a meeting with congressman Mr.Foster's(D) office director. Hope they find out more on the Dear Colleague letter initiative.

We do not have update but we just need to keep calling democrat house offices. If they have already signed, they would say so when someone calls. Can't hurt to call though

sengs
03-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Just finished my call with my representative's legislative assistant. This is the third call in 7 days, fifth call including my wife's. Everytime we have called he said that they are aware of the letter but would not confirm if the congressman has signed or will sign it. He is a democrat and very supportive of immigration action and has previously acknowledged the perils of green card backlogs. I would like to believe that our actions would result in a positive news.

On a separate note, has the delay in publishing of April 2015 visa bulletin anything to do with this?

hil3182
03-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Thank you. Please do your part.

The DHS recommendations for reforming the legal immigration system to the President isn't due until March 20th. DHS and DoS started working on those recommendations, their lawyers were probably busy with the undocumented part of the EO.

So, if you read between the lines, it wasn't considered by the admin, because they weren't looking at it in great detail until they started getting the recommendations together for the President (probably in the last month or so).

Think of it as a two phase process, phase one was relief for the undocumented and phase two is reform of the current (so called "legal") immigration system.

This is about politics. There have been "Dear Colleague" letters both for and against the EO. Getting support from Congress is useful for President Obama politically.

Administrator2 said it best:

If the lawyers in the WH think that they have the authority, then they probably do. It all depends on how they want to interpret the law, and the Admin has a great deal of latitude in how to (re)interpret the law. Changing the interpretation of the law is politically risky, which is where the "Dear Colleague" letter comes in - it gives the President the political support he needs to to this.

Aram
03-11-2015, 12:38 PM

Called and sent an email to Rep.Foster's(D, IL) legislative director yesterday and received email this morning from LD that Congressman Foster has agreed to sign onto this letter.

konerusai
03-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Called and sent an email to Rep.Cheri Bustos(D, IL) 17th District of IL.
Sent letter to legislative director. waiting to hear a reply from her.

rajarak
03-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Called and sent an email to Rep.Foster's(D, IL) legislative director yesterday and received email this morning from LD that Congressman Foster has agreed to sign onto this letter.

Great buddy,

Did you contact Maria?
I met with her yesterday, will follow up to just confirm on the same.

Are you around the area, we could go together next time if possible

Aram
03-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Great buddy,

Did you contact Maria?
I met with her yesterday, will follow up to just confirm on the same.

Are you around the area, we could go together next time if possible
I contacted Amy Kelbick(Legislative Senior Assistant) who's incharge of Rep.Foster's immigration related positions and this was her email reply to me.

rajarak
03-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Cool thanks.

I will reach out to her as well, could you provide her email address?

sengs
03-11-2015, 07:55 PM
After listening to you people, I sent a personalized email to my representative's office requesting him to co-sign the letter. Whatever helps.

Administrator2
03-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks to everyone who made phone calls. Right now there are 62 cosigners to the letter, which is AWESOME. The goal is to have a few more offices to sign on by tomorrow morning.

Here are the list of brave House Members that have signed on in support:
Current Cosigners (62): Reps. Peters, Castro, Conyers, Lofgren, Vargas, DelBene, Swalwell, Cardenas, Veasey, Norton, Cohen, McGovern, Polis, Lieu, Doggett, Connolly, Tonko, McCollum, Farr, Murphy, Honda, Kilmer, Rice, McDermott, Hastings, Jackson Lee, Lowey, Kirkpatrick, Kind, Welch, Eshoo, Rangel, Bera, Davis, Moore, Bonamici, Blumenauer, Speier, Pingree, Takano, Clarke, Quigley, Beyer, Sinema, Schrader, Schiff, Deutch, Lewis, Aguilar, Yarmuth, Foster, Larsen, Nadler, DeLauro, Carney, Johnson, Li. Sanchez, Delaney, Himes, S. Maloney, Israel, Capps

PLEASE PLEASE call your member of Congress (specially if you have a Democratic Representative) if your member is not listed here. This action item will end at 11am EST tomorrow (3/12).

If you live in the district of any of the following member of Congress then please make sure you call the DC office before 11am EST tomorrow:

Rep. Castor FL 14th
Rep. Chu CA 32nd
Rep. Cicilline RI 1st
Rep. Cleaver MO 5th
Rep. Susan Davis CA 53rd
Rep. Duckworth IL 8th
Rep. Fattah PA 2nd
Rep. Al Green TX 9th
Rep. Gene Green TX 29th
Rep. Grijalva AZ 3rd
Rep. Honda CA 17th
Rep. Horsford NV 4th
Rep. Huffman CA 2nd
Rep. Jackson Lee TX 18th
Rep. Lewis, GA 5th
Rep. Moore WI 4th
Rep. Neal MA 1st
Rep. Pingree ME 1st
Rep. Quigley IL 5th
Rep. Tim Ryan OH 13th
Rep. Linda Sanchez CA 38th
Rep. Schiff CA 28th
Rep. Takano CA 41st
Rep. Mike Thompson CA 5th
Rep. Van Hollen, MD 8th
Rep. Vela TX 34th
Rep. Waters CA 43rd
Rep. Welch Vermont

Thank you for speaking up for your cause!

rajarak
03-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Great,

May be we should all be calling irrespective of a constituents or not.
At least to raise awareness

Thanks for the update

sunrl
03-12-2015, 09:55 AM
I have tried calling Rep Matt Cartwright's office. I never got to legislative aid but left the message. I called one more time for support but not sure if that's happening

sengs
03-12-2015, 10:03 AM
Left a message and sent an email to David Cicilline's office requesting him sign the letter. Although I am not his constituent but my workplace falls in his district. His name is on the list, so I took the chance. Hopefully he will co-sign the letter.

prince_nagi@yahoo.com
03-12-2015, 03:17 PM
called Rep. Grijalva AZ office and sent email, as per the staffer Raul suports the letter , but he was not able to tell if he signed it or not.

ajitravindran
03-13-2015, 11:01 AM
I got a call from Congressman's Ashfords Legislative Assistant Jen Piat in response to my email on the 'Dear Colleague' letter to them. Was informed that they were supportive of the initiative but the cogressman was more in favor of comprehensive immigration reform. I also mentioned about H.R 213. Apparently they were not aware of it and mentioned that they would look into it.

dhruva12
03-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Hello IV....

Do you guys privy to any progress on this?

rupen
03-17-2015, 10:36 PM
Hello IV....

Do you guys privy to any progress on this?

Check update on facebook page.

sengs
04-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Check update on facebook page.

Any news on this front? Does this one looks feasible at all?

sengs
04-13-2015, 04:06 PM
Another visa bulletin and still no mention of recapture. :( :(

advik20
04-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Another visa bulletin and still no mention of recapture. :( :(

For the recapture it has to first approved by the congress

business lobby like fuckrosoft, IBM, Satyam will never allow it.