PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Immigration Innovation Act introduced in the Senate

Administrator2
01-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Immigration Voice applaud Senator Hatch for introducing Immigration Innovation ( I d) Act of 2015.

This is a bipartisan bill and we are also grateful to Senators Klobuchar, Rubio, Coons, Flake, and Blumenthal for being original co-sponsors to I d Act.

The bill includes following provisions:

Green cards
1.) Elimination of per-country limits
2.) Recapture of unused green cards since 1992 and not to waste green card numbers
3.) Exemption from numerical limit:
4.) Spouses or children of EB visas holders
a.) Masters in STEM
b.) Extraordinary abilities
c.) Outstanding professors & researchers

Quality of Life
1.) EAD for H-4 (dependent spouses)
2.) 60 days grace period after expiry of H1
3.) Visa Re-validation in US (for H, E, L, O, and P visa)
4.) Dual intent for student visa

H-1B Visa
1.) No caps on H-1 for US Masters or higher degree
2.) Market based H1 Quota increased from 65K to 115K
3.) H-1B quota within 115K (minimum) and 195K (maximum)

Other provisions
1.) Education funding provisions

greyhair
01-13-2015, 01:11 PM
GREAT NEWS I was waiting for this bill because you said a few days on the conference call that this bill get introduced

THANK YOU

DMX17
01-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the news! Thank you IV team for the great work. Hope that 2015 will indeed be a great year for EB folks!

shyamps
01-13-2015, 01:25 PM
Great Going IV.

It seems everything high skilled immigrants can hope for is in this bill. This couldn't have happened without all your diligent efforts!!! Keep up the good work. i've registered to attend the Feb 8th, 9th and 10th Advocacy event.

hil3182
01-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Immigration Voice applaud Senator Hatch for introducing Immigration Innovation ( I d) Act of 2015.

This is a bipartisan bill and we are also grateful to Senators Klobuchar, Rubio, Coons, Flake, and Blumenthal for being original co-sponsors to I d Act.

Green cards

Elimination of per-country limits
Recapture of unused green cards since 1992 and not to waste green card numbers
Exemption from numerical limit:

Spouses or children of EB visas holders
Masters in STEM
Extraordinary abilities
Outstanding professors & researchers

Quality of Life

EAD for H-4 (dependent spouses)
60 days grace period after expiry of H1
Visa Re-validation in US (for H, E, L, O, and P visa)
Dual intent for student visa

H-1B Visa

No caps on H-1 for US Masters or higher degree
Market based H1 Quota increased from 65K to 115K
H-1B quota within 115K (minimum) and 195K (maximum)

Other provisions

Education funding provisions

Is I-d going to be on IV's agenda on in Feb or HR 213 or are you in wait and watch mode i.e. wait to see which gets more traction?

bennyd20
01-13-2015, 02:21 PM
This is great. It has almost everything that we need. Keep up the good work...

rupen
01-13-2015, 02:21 PM
Is I-d going to be on IV's agenda on in Feb or HR 213 or are you in wait and watch mode i.e. wait to see which gets more traction?

Green card provisions are always on IV's agenda. So when we go in Feb, we will surely be talking about that. There are enough reasons now to join for advocacy event.

DMX17
01-13-2015, 02:58 PM
HATCH, KLOBUCHAR, RUBIO, COONS, FLAKE, BLUMENTHAL INTRODUCE HIGH-SKILLED IMMIGRATION BILL - Press Releases - United States Senator Orrin Hatch (http://www.hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/releases?ID=1ea86b6c-27f0-47e6-985b-ee45ee15671d)

rupen
01-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Is it coincidence that Session's authored 25 page thesis and I d came at same time ? :)

127Karthi
01-13-2015, 03:05 PM
There is another rule that i heard for applying EAD for those who got 140 approved without waiting for the date to be current. Is that bill also passed? or was it ignored?:confused:

rupen
01-13-2015, 03:12 PM
There is another rule that i heard for applying EAD for those who got 140 approved without waiting for the date to be current. Is that bill also passed? or was it ignored?:confused:

I guess you want to ask if it is part of this bill. Good question. Let me search

DMX17
01-13-2015, 03:18 PM

You may be talking about the Executive Actions by the President. Hope you read this long but very informative thread:

Questions Clarification and Answers about President's Executive Action on Immigration - Immigration Voice (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/3096068-questions-clarification-and-answers-about-presidents-executive-action-on-immigration.html)

ChaseMyDreams
01-13-2015, 03:21 PM
I'm new to this group but have been following such threads in the recent past. This will definitely benefit people from China & India.

How long it is going to take for implementation? What happens to those who have filed for 485 and waiting for GC based on ROW chargeability with very recent PD (Mar 2014)?

dhakaldoo
01-13-2015, 03:31 PM

From what I understand,

The EAD for approved 140 rule is part of executive action. It is in making and will be implemented by October 2015. Please refer to another thread on the forum where Admin has answered questions. This does not need congressional action as it is not a Bill and it need not be passed. Please read the thread thoroughly and carefully to understand what was covered in rule making.

This bill - the (I d) act is introduced in congress. It will need passing in both Senate and House. However, not sure if the EAD for approved I-140 needs to be included as it is already in rule making process.

127Karthi
01-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks Rupen. It will be much helpful.

hil3182
01-13-2015, 04:20 PM
Is the SKILS visa act dead or will it be resurrected?

My fear is that the SKILS visa act passes the house, I^2 passes the senate and all the GC's get dropped in conference (of-course the H1's will stay).

If I remember correctly IV was against the SKILLS visa act because it increased the H-1's way more than is increased Green Cards and the net effect was more backlog.

rupen
01-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Is the SKILS visa act dead or will it be resurrected?

My fear is that the SKILS visa act passes the house, I^2 passes the senate and all the GC's get dropped in conference (of-course the H1's will stay).

If I remember correctly IV was against the SKILLS visa act because it increased the H-1's way more than is increased Green Cards and the net effect was more backlog.

I think house will still do skills visa act. That's why it is important to increase profile of our issue by taking part in advocacy

rupen
01-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Can something on immigration pass? - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2015/01/13/can-something-on-immigration-pass/)

rupen
01-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Boehner Announces Broader Immigration Effort To Colleagues - Breitbart (http://www.breitbart.com/immigration/2015/01/13/boehner-announces-broader-immigration-effort-to-colleagues/)

hil3182
01-13-2015, 06:09 PM
From Rupen's links above it looks like the House is hot for border security while the Senates main concern is High-Skilled immigration (I^2).

One possible outcome is the house passes border security (and hopefully HR-213) which gets reconciled with I^2 in conference and the whole kahuna goes through both houses.

A scarier outcome is if the SKILS visa act gets re-introduced because that strips out the GC's and has no recapture.

rupen
01-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Thanks Rupen. It will be much helpful.

I do not see this as part of the bill. Keep in mind though it is part of EO

harishps123
01-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Hearing that H4 for EAD and EAD for I140 will be announced simultaneously sometime soon. Apparently all the other modernization rules will take time.

rupen
01-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Hearing that H4 for EAD and EAD for I140 will be announced simultaneously sometime soon. Apparently all the other modernization rules will take time.

If true, that is great news. I was thinking I140 ead will take longer

rupen
01-14-2015, 05:47 PM
http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/618633

rupen
01-14-2015, 11:05 PM
House GOP blocks Obama immigration plan, but there's an asterisk - CSMonitor.com (http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/2015/0114/House-GOP-blocks-Obama-immigration-plan-but-there-s-an-asterisk)

rupen
01-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Ad asks if Dr. King would be anti-immigration (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/15/martin-luther-king-anti-immigration-ad/21794063/)

greyhair
01-15-2015, 09:32 AM
Ad asks if Dr. King would be anti-immigration (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/15/martin-luther-king-anti-immigration-ad/21794063/)

Anti immigrants will use any argument to push their agenda. Dr. King stood up for people who did not have rights.

When some people has less rights than others in the system, then it hurts the people who have less rights and the people who have more rights.

The people who have less rights are unable to live up to their full potential (like all types of immigrants in US because they have less rights, right to change employer, right to start business, right to live free as others in the system can).

The people who have more rights than other tend to lose because they are at disadvantage in the job marketplace as they demand and expect more wages (compared to those who have less rights). So this group of people with more rights are at disadvantage in job marketplace. Which is why Americans or green card holders tend to lose job opportunity to immigrants.

Getting back to Mr. King, if he would have been around, he would have asked for equality and equal rights (meaning equal opportunities) for everyone, just has he did in 1960s.

In the end, the goal of any civil rights movement is to have equal rights which will prevent any environment of exploitation of immigrants, and, it will prevent putting US workers at disadvantage in the job marketplace.

Anti-immigrants usually just focus on one slogan - "if immigrants come they will take our jobs". For a simple mind who is not paying as much attention to the subject, such bumper sticker slogans sound convincing. But in reality such slogans and follow up (wrong) action always end up hurting the native population.

WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC
01-15-2015, 12:00 PM

Green cards

Elimination of per-country limits
Recapture of unused green cards since 1992 and not to waste green card numbers
Exemption from numerical limit:

Spouses or children of EB visas holders
Masters in STEM
Extraordinary abilities
Outstanding professors & researchers

Quality of Life

EAD for H-4 (dependent spouses)
60 days grace period after expiry of H1
Visa Re-validation in US (for H, E, L, O, and P visa)
Dual intent for student visa

H-1B Visa

No caps on H-1 for US Masters or higher degree
Market based H1 Quota increased from 65K to 115K
H-1B quota within 115K (minimum) and 195K (maximum)

Other provisions

Education funding provisions

IV has helped a lot of people in getting the relief that one is waiting for. I applaud IVs Effort.
I believe that all the points mentioned by the Senator hatch might not go through.
Hope for the best

sanjosedesi
01-15-2015, 12:55 PM
Keep up the good work IV....

Payment Receipt
Receipt ID
2347-3935-8150-1928

rupen
01-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Immigration Reform 2015: High Hopes For High-Skilled Immigration Reform, Even As Congress Battles Obama (http://m.ibtimes.com/immigration-reform-2015-high-hopes-high-skilled-immigration-reform-even-congress-1783946)

bims_patel
01-15-2015, 04:12 PM
I really hope that this bill passes in this year and become law! But with this bill,

1. What will happen to HR 213? 2. Would both proceed on their own ways i.e. this one to senate first and then to house and HR 213 to house first and then senate?
2. Would 213 die in between as this bill already covers that and few other issues or will this bill get amended if HR 213 passes house and senate?
3. When H4 to EAD becomes rule, will that make this bill to be amended again to remove that from this bill?
4. For such amendments, would bill have to go through the whole process again i.e. going through house and senate?

- B

ramappu
01-15-2015, 04:34 PM
Good news, let us hope for the best.
I just donated USD 100.00
Transaction ID for this payment is: 4C746180TR791981P.

rupen
01-15-2015, 05:34 PM
I really hope that this bill passes in this year and become law! But with this bill,

1. What will happen to HR 213? 2. Would both proceed on their own ways i.e. this one to senate first and then to house and HR 213 to house first and then senate?
2. Would 213 die in between as this bill already covers that and few other issues or will this bill get amended if HR 213 passes house and senate?
3. When H4 to EAD becomes rule, will that make this bill to be amended again to remove that from this bill?
4. For such amendments, would bill have to go through the whole process again i.e. going through house and senate?

- B

At this point of time, it is not clear which bill would move first. But regardless of which bill moves first, we should be ready from our end. That's why there is an advocacy event in feb 8 to 10 which is strategically placed timewise. Please plan to attend if you have not already registered.

Bills do not have to go through rulemaking. So, if h4 ead which i d bill has passes, it will become effective from the effective date of the bill

PK1Reddy
01-15-2015, 07:09 PM
Following are my observations
In House:
H.R. 213 was introduced in house and it is referred to the judiciary committee where Mr Goodlatte acts as the chairman of that committee. Mr Goodlatte co-sponsored the Rep. Issa's Skills visa act in last congress which was placed on the union calendar on 12/26/2014. Skills visa act is more comprehensive high skill immigration bill and includes the H.R.213 provisions.
Given these things and current climate of the immigration discussion, I believe they will take up the Skills visa act and that bill will face some resistance because it contains all the h1 and family based changes, but it does not over reach in its goal.
Tidbit: Chaffez replaces Issa in house oversight committee chairman.

In Senate:
Sen. Hatch will put all his efforts into Immigration Innovation bill and he will make sure it will be placed for voting. He is a senior senator of Republican Party and Majority leader McConnell showed openness to deal with these issues as soon as possible. But this bill over reaches in its goals.

What will happen:
Sen. Hatch’s bill has no caps on lot of things which will not work in house as conservative republicans will not bite the bullet, they will go for the hard caps on all categories it may be H1, or GC for STEM. In light of this Skills visa act will be more manageable and more acceptable to all the parties.

In near future Obama’s state of union address and republican response to that speech may contain some hints on republican agenda for near this congress.

rupen
01-15-2015, 07:39 PM
GOP Mulls Immigration Strategy at Annual Retreat - NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/gop-mulls-immigration-strategy-annual-retreat-n287231)

"The Congress has people who draw a hard line and has people who want amnesty for everyone, so I think somewhere between those two extremes we've got more than 218 votes to pass some immigration bills," Chaffetz told NBC News, "I'm very optimistic about it, more optimistic than I have ever been."

konerusai
01-16-2015, 07:58 AM
McConnell to House GOP: Don’t expect miracle on immigration | TheHill (http://thehill.com/homenews/house/229726-mcconnell-to-house-gop-dont-expect-miracle-on-immigration-fight#.VLh99cHiSgY.twitter)

konerusai
01-16-2015, 04:13 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/opinion/the-cruel-waste-of-americas-tech-talent.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

rupen
01-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Immigrant Founders Need Policy Reform To Keep Creating Tech Jobs | TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/18/immigrant-founders-need-policy-reform-to-keep-creating-tech-jobs/)

immigrant2007
01-19-2015, 06:02 AM

- B

Don't worry noting is going to happen. thy ar just token bills. Only thing that will move ahead will be the H1bs minus any relief to Backlog. HAve been seeing this drama since I started observing these bills.

rupen
01-19-2015, 08:04 AM
Don't worry noting is going to happen. thy ar just token bills. Only thing that will move ahead will be the H1bs minus any relief to Backlog. HAve been seeing this drama since I started observing these bills.

There are several things about your post that don't add up.

-> First you are saying this since you are observing these things from a long time, you have pretty good idea about what is happening. So, in a way, you are also implying that people who are suggesting that there is a good chance, are either lying or have lesser knowledge than you which includes Admin.

--> Next you are saying that only thing going to happen will be H1B minus backlog. Is there any H1B bill proposed which does not have this particular provision ?

--> If you are so sure that nothing is going to happen, why are you visiting this forum where you know these bills would be discussed which you have already discounted ?

bims_patel
01-19-2015, 11:03 AM

Even though you look like an expert(LOL), I believe there is a fair amount of chance that this time one or other way relief is on the way for most of us who is suffering by being in a very long queue and don't know when will their turn would come! For you, I would say, if you don't give anything positive, at least don't spread negative :rolleyes:.

immigrant2007
01-19-2015, 05:27 PM
There are several things about your post that don't add up.

-> First you are saying this since you are observing these things from a long time, you have pretty good idea about what is happening. So, in a way, you are also implying that people who are suggesting that there is a good chance, are either lying or have lesser knowledge than you which includes Admin.

--> Next you are saying that only thing going to happen will be H1B minus backlog. Is there any H1B bill proposed which does not have this particular provision ?

--> If you are so sure that nothing is going to happen, why are you visiting this forum where you know these bills would be discussed which you have already discounted ?

--no everyone Is guessing. Don't want to make demeaning comments just for sake of replying to your comments. I can reply with reason.

----Only thing industry is interested in H1Bs. Lets wait. I will be happy to be wrong.

---You don't like my reply don't read it. Or have me banned (that's the best you can do).

rupen
01-19-2015, 06:05 PM
--no everyone Is guessing. Don't want to make demeaning comments just for sake of replying to your comments. I can reply with reason.

----Only thing industry is interested in H1Bs. Lets wait. I will be happy to be wrong.

---You don't like my reply don't read it. Or have me banned (that's the best you can do).

If industry gets everything it wants, they would have got increase in h1b long time back. They have spent millions and have not received a single increase in h1b. In executive action announcement there were many good things for job portability. Do you think they were part of executive actions because industry wanted it?

It is not about me not liking your commen which from my reply is clear that i do not, you are also trivializing effort of many members here who are donating, taking part in advocacy and spending hours on this.

greyhair
01-19-2015, 08:57 PM

Industry is only interested in H1B. But how does that matter what industry wants?

If industry always got what they wanted then obviously they should have gotten H1Bs, lots of H1Bs by now. Did they get any?

Since 2000 (i.e. for last 15 years) industry did not get any H1Bs. So how does it matter what industry wants? But if people like you keep on focusing on what industry wants and if according to you industry always get what they want, then what are you doing here?

gten
01-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Industry is only interested in H1B. But how does that matter what industry wants?

If industry always got what they wanted then obviously they should have gotten H1Bs, lots of H1Bs by now. Did they get any?

Since 2000 (i.e. for last 15 years) industry did not get any H1Bs. So how does it matter what industry wants? But if people like you keep on focusing on what industry wants and if according to you industry always get what they want, then what are you doing here?

To bring balance to the argument and to be fair, H1B quota was not an major issue until 2008. Then there was recession. Industry started to feel the pinch in last couple years. Economy and hiring picked up in 2013 and 2014 after the recession. H1B quota dried up quickly in the last few (4-5??? -- thanks to TCS and Infosys) years. Hiring was slow until 2013 due to recession and FWD.us was formed in April 2013. I assume Industry was not actively asking for increase since 2000.

rupen
01-22-2015, 04:57 PM
Obama, Immigration Reform, H-B1 Visas, and Silicon Valley - Bloomberg View (http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-01-22/obama-immigration-reform-h-b1-visas-and-silicon-valley)

rsr_am
03-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Don't know if this hearing is in relation to the i-d act, but senate judiciary cmte is holding a hearing on march 17 on h-1b abuse.

https://twitter.com/ImmigrationGOP/status/575056823625072640

rupen
03-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Don't know if this hearing is in relation to the i-d act, but senate judiciary cmte is holding a hearing on march 17 on h-1b abuse.

This is not related to i d

hil3182
03-09-2015, 11:45 PM

This hearing sounds like a hit job by Senator Sessions against H1B's timed to occur just before the recommendations from the DHS on March 20th

rsr_am
03-10-2015, 03:26 PM
This is not related to i d

good to know that - thank you!

amulchandra
03-16-2015, 06:54 PM
I came across this today. Even though the article sounds negative, looks like some momentum is picking up.

H-1B battle to take center stage in Senate on Tuesday | Computerworld (http://www.computerworld.com/article/2897208/h-1b-battle-to-take-center-stage-in-senate-on-tuesday.html)

rupen
03-16-2015, 07:28 PM
I came across this today. Even though the article sounds negative, looks like some momentum is picking up.

H-1B battle to take center stage in Senate on Tuesday | Computerworld (http://www.computerworld.com/article/2897208/h-1b-battle-to-take-center-stage-in-senate-on-tuesday.html)

Ya, I also came across this. This looks like h1b bashing hearing.

rsr_am
03-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Sen. King, Angus S., Jr. [I-ME] as 11th cosponsor.

Total count =12 (incl. Hatch, the sponsor).

advik20
03-24-2015, 08:47 AM

Green cards
1.) Elimination of per-country limits
2.) Recapture of unused green cards since 1992 and not to waste green card numbers
3.) Exemption from numerical limit:
4.) Spouses or children of EB visas holders
a.) Masters in STEM
b.) Extraordinary abilities
c.) Outstanding professors & researchers

Quality of Life
1.) EAD for H-4 (dependent spouses)
2.) 60 days grace period after expiry of H1
3.) Visa Re-validation in US (for H, E, L, O, and P visa)
4.) Dual intent for student visa

H-1B Visa
1.) No caps on H-1 for US Masters or higher degree
2.) Market based H1 Quota increased from 65K to 115K
3.) H-1B quota within 115K (minimum) and 195K (maximum)

Other provisions
1.) Education funding provisions

Any movement on this or HR 231

hil3182
03-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Any movement on this or HR 231

I think you mean HR.213.

For HR.213 we need more republican co-sponsors. If you live/work in or near a Republican district, call their DC office, ask to speak to the staffer who deals with immigration policy and ask them to ask them to talk to their boss about co-sponsoring HR.213.

If you know anyone who does live in a Republican district, spread the word.

If you want to do even more, drive down to their office in their district and do the same thing (you might need to make an appointment).