PDA

View Full Version : 12 + 5 year masters for EB2

curiousmind
12-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Is there any risk of applying for an EB2 using 5 year integrated MS from an accredited institute in India as US equivalent? I need to decide on using 5 Yr MS + less than 5 years exp from my existing employer Vs moving to a new and using BS and 5+ yr exp. At this point my current employer got an evaluation stating it is equivalent to US masters, would that be sufficient? Gurus please advise.

Thanks in advance

stillhowlong
12-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Is there any risk of applying for an EB2 using 5 year integrated MS from an accredited institute in India as US equivalent? I need to decide on using 5 Yr MS + less than 5 years exp from my existing employer Vs moving to a new and using BS and 5+ yr exp. At this point my current employer got an evaluation stating it is equivalent to US masters, would that be sufficient? Gurus please advise.

Thanks in advance

I would recommend you to treat your education as maximum bachelor degree, not the master degree. IN USA, the master degree is 16+2 years, so they will not consider your education as equal to US master degree.

curiousmind
12-17-2013, 12:58 PM
I would recommend you to treat your education as maximum bachelor degree, not the master degree. IN USA, the master degree is 16+2 years, so they will not consider your education as equal to US master degree.

Thanks for the response. I do see some US universities offering integrated 5 year MS degrees, would they count? Does the education evaluation not sufficient?

stillhowlong
12-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the response. I do see some US universities offering integrated 5 year MS degrees, would they count? Does the education evaluation not sufficient?
Even though few universities offer, USCIS may or may not consider as they might think in general like how many years of study it takes to complete master degree, which is 18 years. If you have 5 plus years of experience, then I would recommend don't take any chances with USCIS as they are very unpredictable. The safer bet would be to consider your education as equal to US bachelor and try it. This is my advise. I would always be better to consult a good immigration attorney like murthy law firm before taking any decision.

curiousmind
12-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Even though few universities offer, USCIS may or may not consider as they might think in general like how many years of study it takes to complete master degree, which is 18 years. If you have 5 plus years of experience, then I would recommend don't take any chances with USCIS as they are very unpredictable. The safer bet would be to consider your education as equal to US bachelor and try it. This is my advise. I would always be better to consult a good immigration attorney like murthy law firm before taking any decision.

Thanks. I do have over 10 yrs of experience. I was debating myself, what my chances are going this route vs moving or getting some company to apply in parallel. I did see in some forums ppl who got eb2 using 12+3+2 not sure if that is using 5yrs exp or without. Thought I would have better shot with 5yr integrated MS from a reputable institute, USCIS does not care anyway I guess. I may have to pursue other alternatives like you said. Thanks again for your advise.

stillhowlong
12-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Thanks. I do have over 10 yrs of experience. I was debating myself, what my chances are going this route vs moving or getting some company to apply in parallel. I did see in some forums ppl who got eb2 using 12+3+2 not sure if that is using 5yrs exp or without. Thought I would have better shot with 5yr integrated MS from a reputable institute, USCIS does not care anyway I guess. I may have to pursue other alternatives like you said. Thanks again for your advise.
You are welcome. In the other forums that you are referring " I did see in some forums ppl who got eb2 using 12+3+2 not sure if that is using 5yrs exp or without. ", I am 100% sure those successful cases are the ones who equated their education as equal to US bachelor degree.