PDA

View Full Version : Power of Attorney - again!!

boston_guy147
12-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I took a loan in India to buy a flat, and had got a Power of Attorney document made to grant my father the power. The loan was approved and the builder started to build etc.

Now the flat is ready to be registered and when my father tried to register it with the local government office, they want a Power of Attorney document. They are not accepting a photocopy of the original POA doc that we had submitted with the bank.

Is this usual? That I need to get ANOTHER POA doc made just to get the flat registered??

To add to my woes, I have recently moved from NY to SFO. So now if I get a POA made again, I have to follow the rules of SFO consulate, which unlike the NY consulate, requires Apostille Certification - which makes the process even more slow and tedious:(

Any advise would be much appreciated!

dsairam
12-10-2013, 09:52 PM
I took a loan in India to buy a flat, and had got a Power of Attorney document made to grant my father the power. The loan was approved and the builder started to build etc.

Now the flat is ready to be registered and when my father tried to register it with the local government office, they want a Power of Attorney document. They are not accepting a photocopy of the original POA doc that we had submitted with the bank.

Is this usual? That I need to get ANOTHER POA doc made just to get the flat registered??

To add to my woes, I have recently moved from NY to SFO. So now if I get a POA made again, I have to follow the rules of SFO consulate, which unlike the NY consulate, requires Apostille Certification - which makes the process even more slow and tedious:(

Any advise would be much appreciated!

Having gone through POA process in SFO last week, I can vouch for it being unnecessarily long unless you are in the area and willing to drive 200 miles. I got my document notarized a day before and drove to Sacramento in the morning, got it apostilled in 10 minutes, and drove back to SFO before noon to submit for attestation. Got the attested POA at 4:00 PM.

Document that you need:

Notarized and apostilled POA & copy
Passport Copy & Original
GC/EAD/H1B/some proof of legal presence original and a copy
Misc service form with a picture

don't forget the copies for everything.

nrmarrivada9
12-11-2013, 12:02 PM
You DO NOT HAVE TO GO to Consulate for producing POA. You could use any public notary. I did that couple of times and never faced any objections.

All the Best,
Naveen Reddy

dsairam
12-11-2013, 12:44 PM
You DO NOT HAVE TO GO to Consulate for producing POA. You could use any public notary. I did that couple of times and never faced any objections.

All the Best,
Naveen Reddy

You are right that you don't have to go to consulate, however, just getting notarized is not enough - not sure what kind of POA you had made and where you used it. POA notarized by a public notary in the US must be apostilled to be valid - this is per Hague convention for document simpilifiation agreement among countries which India was part of. Getting attested by Indian consulate is optional. However, most people take the attestation from consulate because those signatures and seals are readily recognizable in India when you sell/buy property or something big like that.

nrmarrivada9
12-11-2013, 04:37 PM
You sure don't know where and how I used the POA.

I used the POA notarized by a public notary (1) sell a property (2) buy a property (availing loan from a bank) and get it registered, (3) to get a property registered. In all the instances, I was engaged with the registration department and no issues surfaced. Incidence of aforementioned was in 2011 and early 2012.

- Naveen Reddy