PDA

View Full Version : Allowable items by Indian Customs

boston_guy147
12-08-2013, 10:58 AM
I am flying to India for vacation for the first time since I came to the US in 2003. I have bought a Samsung Tablet to gift to a close friend there. I really don't want to take it out of the box as it doesn't look 'new' that way.

How smart is it to carry it in the box it came in, through Delhi airport customs? I bought it for about $400. Isn't there a maximum $$ amount of new stuff that a person is allowed to bring in?

Also, I have bought some clothes. And I really don't want to take off the tags for the same reason.

I am probably being naive here - would appreciate some first hand advise!

Thanks!!

Murthy
12-08-2013, 12:21 PM
I am flying to India for vacation for the first time since I came to the US in 2003. I have bought a Samsung Tablet to gift to a close friend there. I really don't want to take it out of the box as it doesn't look 'new' that way.

How smart is it to carry it in the box it came in, through Delhi airport customs? I bought it for about $400. Isn't there a maximum $$ amount of new stuff that a person is allowed to bring in?

Also, I have bought some clothes. And I really don't want to take off the tags for the same reason.

I am probably being naive here - would appreciate some first hand advise!

Thanks!!
Look here you will get the answer.
Baggage Rules, 1998 - CBEC (http://www.cbec.gov.in/customs/cs-act/formatted-htmls/bgge-rules1998-ason-aug13.htm)

boston_guy147
12-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks Murthy - I had found this info on the web too. But I am not sure how well these rules are followed by indian customs officers.

I was looking for some practical, first hand advice on carrying electronics worth $385 (according to purchase receipt). Should I take it out of the box and carry it as personal, in use item?

Or will I have no issues carrying it new, in box. ( I would prefer to keep it that way as it is a gift)

Would REALLY appreciate somebody's input!

groyne
12-10-2013, 07:01 PM
I flew into Chicago -> Bombay in September this year, and faced a similar dilemma. I'd heard horror stories about customs enforcement being a lot stricter of late, and i was carrying back a fair number of devices.

I had two tablets (nexus 10, nexus 7), one phone (iphone 4s) and a kindle. I carried one tablet and kindle in my shoulder bag, one tablet in one check in bag, and the phone in my carry on. I did, however, take the kindle and tablet out of the box, because i figured if i was stopped i could claim they were mine.

Just walked straight through customs and wasn't stopped or questioned. My flight also landed a lot later than other flights coming in from Europe etc, so general consensus among my friends was that by then they've lost interest in stopping passengers.

I don't think they care about the clothes at all - it's the electronics and big ticket items that may matter. But it any case, seems like a combination of confidence and timing should do the trick.

YMMV.

Murthy
12-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks Murthy - I had found this info on the web too. But I am not sure how well these rules are followed by indian customs officers.

I was looking for some practical, first hand advice on carrying electronics worth $385 (according to purchase receipt). Should I take it out of the box and carry it as personal, in use item?

Or will I have no issues carrying it new, in box. ( I would prefer to keep it that way as it is a gift)

Would REALLY appreciate somebody's input!

Never carry the item in the original box. I advice keep the empty box in checkin baggage and the item with your carry baggage.Always carry the original receipt as a proof of cost.Better print out rules page from web site in case.Usually they will not go against rule. Problem might come at valuation if you don't have the original receipt.But as some one pointed out it is all depends all your luck and time .Sometimes no questions and you can walk over.But my friend told me custom officials alert by flights.If flight is from Singapore or Gulf and they are very alert. from Europe not that much.
Always one single item no issues.
Good Luck