PDA

View Full Version : What steps after receiving GC?

karthikgk
09-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Friends,

My wife and I got our GC recently. (PD: Jul, 2003, EB3-India).

Now that we have thanked our stars and celebrated the possession of the cards, what are the next steps?

We informed our respective employers of the change in status.

Do we need to do anything else?

AnnaRamdev
09-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Friends,

Now that we have thanked our stars and celebrated the possession of the cards, what are the next steps?

Next steps are as follows.
Change your drivers license to permanent one
Get new ss card with no restrictions printed.
Countdown to how many days left to you can apply for citizenship.
Visit and pay your respect to your temple.
Go to your favorite restaurant and order a nice bottle of champagne without thinking how expensive it is.
Adopt a child in India to pay their school till grade 12
Hope this helps.

sac-r-ten
09-24-2013, 04:17 PM
i am already doing the last point. so 1 thing off my list when (when-ever) i get my GC. anna-ji dhanyavad.

jay1
09-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Any idea about what should be done with the last I-94 after getting GC? Should it still be handed over when travelling abroad?

krishmunn
09-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Any idea about what should be done with the last I-94 after getting GC? Should it still be handed over when travelling abroad?

Keep it as a Souvenir .

I have added one more item to my list of to do --- trip to India .. no headache of Transit Visa , no tension of US Visa, no wait in Secondary Inspection for AP ...... I am travelling in December (paying through the nose though).

jay1
09-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Sounds good Krishmunn!
Have a great trip!

Keep it as a Souvenir .

I have added one more item to my list of to do --- trip to India .. no headache of Transit Visa , no tension of US Visa, no wait in Secondary Inspection for AP ...... I am travelling in December (paying through the nose though).

katta
09-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Chill out with some beer :)

unluckydude
09-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Friends,

Thank IV :)

karthikgk
09-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Thank IV :)

Thank you all. We are doing some of the things mentioned here, but a reminder never hurts on our responsibilities to the world!

Thanks!

karthikgk
09-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks! :)

Have been following and will follow the advice below - always good to be reminder of our duties and responsibilities.

One question though: What needs to be done for the Driver's License? I don't see anything that says it is temporary. I see the following:
Restr: B (because I wear glasses)
Type: R (don't know what this means)

Any help is much appreciated,

Next steps are as follows.
Change your drivers license to permanent one
Get new ss card with no restrictions printed.
Countdown to how many days left to you can apply for citizenship.
Visit and pay your respect to your temple.
Go to your favorite restaurant and order a nice bottle of champagne without thinking how expensive it is.
Adopt a child in India to pay their school till grade 12
Hope this helps.

mk6803
09-25-2013, 10:07 PM

Have been following and will follow the advice below - always good to be reminder of our duties and responsibilities.

One question though: What needs to be done for the Driver's License? I don't see anything that says it is temporary. I see the following:

In NJ at least they print TEMP IMMIGRANT STATUS on the DL... check yours closely.

desi3933
09-26-2013, 12:42 AM

Class R covers all vehicle types minus motorcycles and commercial

krishmunn
09-26-2013, 08:51 AM

It is state specific. Looks like in some states they give a DL based on duration of the Visa.

In MA, DL is not tied to Visa -- it has a 5 year validity.

karthikgk
09-26-2013, 12:14 PM
We live in Maryland and our our licenses expire every 5 or 6 years. My license does not seem to be linked to my visa status.

However I remember, the rules have changed for newer temporary immigrants coming on work visa. If I remember correctly, some of my ex-colleagues (who came on H1/L1) had to wait while the Motor Vehicle Administration checked their legal status with USCIS.

When I got my license, I just had to show an address proof (* I think* - it was back in 2001!)

It is state specific. Looks like in some states they give a DL based on duration of the Visa.

In MA, DL is not tied to Visa -- it has a 5 year validity.