PDA

View Full Version : Immigration Voice Advocacy Event September 7th-10th, 2013 & August Townhall Meetings

Administrator2
08-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Greetings!

Immigration reform is at a critical juncture in the U.S Congress. As you may be aware, the Senate recently has passed it's immigration bill with an overwhelming bi-partisan majority. Now, the House leadership is expected to bring its own bill, H.R. 2131, for a vote on the House floor. This bill passed the House Judiciary Committee on 27th June this year.

But given the trend of immigration bills under consideration in the House of Representatives, it will be naive to believe that employment based green card backlogs will be automatically resolved. As shared in our previous newsletter (http://www.getresponse.com/archive/ivnewsletter/11699492.html), the House bill H.R.2131 (http://immigrationvoice.org/media/SKILLS_Visa_Act_Summary.pdf) will result in a ten fold increase in the existing backlog and a wait time of 300 years from the current 30 years, which is impractical.

We have to ensure that we are not forgotten, as we carry the burden of speaking up and sharing our stories. Either we can sit on the sidelines and watch a small handful of groups obfuscate our issues, or, we have the option to stand-up now and speak up to help craft a fair policy - the most American thing to do.

If you ask us, we say let's step-up and join hands, meet lawmakers, speak up in town halls, come to DC for the advocacy event, donate air miles, help fund someone else's travel, donate towards the organization of the event, make phone calls and spread the message.

The IV core team cannot do this alone. We need your help urgently to focus on 3 Action Items.

* Lobby Days in Washington, D.C.: Register for DC advocacy event (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=132) on September 7 - 10. Make travel plans in advance and join your fellow IV members, to meet and advocate our fixes with more than 300 Members of Congress. You can be a part of making history and have the satisfaction of doing something for yourself and your family.

* Contribution: As you may know, we have paid advocacy efforts ongoing in DC on a continuous basis and we receive professional counsel from lobbyists. In order to keep those critical efforts going they must be well-funded during this important period. We need your help to pitch in and contribute (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/misc.php?do=donate) towards this cause. You have the opportunity to see the wonderful work being done for yourself by attending our advocacy event in DC on September 7-10.

* Townhalls in August: Look through these documents (by State (http://immigrationvoice.org/media/TownHall_Meeting_Schedule_By_State.pdf) or by Date (http://immigrationvoice.org/media/TownHall_Meeting_Schedule_By_Date.pdf)) to find a Congressional town-hall meeting near your home. We ask you to take 1-2 hours from your schedule and attend the town-hall to tell your Member of Congress that US economy needs more green cards and a bill like H.R.2131 will hurt US workers, immigrant workers and US economy.

Although we all love Democracy, nothing happens by itself. The onus of speaking up and participating in the political process always lies on the people seeking a change. Each one of us has the capacity to do his/her share. The question is not - can we make a difference; the real question is - WILL WE STEP-UP TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

Please do not assume or take it for granted that green card backlogs will be automatically solved in the final package of immigration reform.

Life is too short. You can either spend your time on the sidelines, or, you could join others in the good fight, which we all will remember for rest of our lives. Put your time, money and effort on the table. You will not be doing it for anyone else. This is about you and your families. We hope that each one of you will make the right choice, so that you can look back at this moment, one day, with pride not regret.

We look forward to seeing you in Washington, D.C. on September 7th - 10th (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=132).

Thank You,
Immigration Voice

Administrator2
08-08-2013, 12:29 AM
What is Advocacy Days?

Advocacy Days does not involve rallies or protest on the streets. Instead Advocacy Days involve working collaboratively with the office of the Members of Congress in meeting format. This is more of the meeting in which you explain issues affecting you and the community. Members of Congress are not fully aware of our issues, which is why events such as - Advocacy Days - is needed to create awareness on our issues. Members of Congress want to listen and learn about the hardships faced by immigrants, they want to fix the broken system. The question is, are you willing to step up to make your voice count and actively participate to make the difference.

This time around, after August recess, The House is expected to bring up smaller immigration bills which are likely to be conferenced with Senate bill. To make sure that our provisions make into the final Conference committee package, it is important that our provisions are part of the House bill. In that sense, September 2013 is going to be the most consequential advocacy event until now.

Why is this 3 day event?

The way we organize advocacy days is - we ask that you arrive in Washington, D.C. either on the 7th night or 8th September early morning. Whole day on 8th September, we will go over how to tell your unedited personal story effectively. You may think you know everything about advocacy, but the fact is, if you have not been to meeting with your representatives in the past, chances are you will not be able to make the best out of the face time with the Congressional offices. That is why attending this training is very very important and mandatory for effective and successful advocacy meetings so that you could articulate the issue, problems and solutions/recommendations to fix the system.

Have you done Advocacy Days before?

We have conducted over 11 advocacy days till now. Due to various reason, many of these events were not unannounced on the forum. Each Advocacy event involves constituents coming in from across the country, as far as Alaska and Hawaii, representing each State/district. Most Advocacy days are attended by around 100-125 members. This time we are expecting around 350 Congressional meetings in two days. In these meetings we will explain our issues and providing meaningful suggestions to fix the systematic problem with the system.

How many meetings will I go to?

After all day training on the 8th September, your entire day on 9th and 10th September will be packed with Congressional meetings. You will be going to Congressional meetings in small groups with others attending the Advocacy days from your State/other States.

How many IV members are you expecting in this Advocacy Days? Who has already signed up?

We are planning on conducting around 350 meetings in 2 days. So we would like around 150 members to attend this event. If you can imagine, scheduling 350 Congressional meetings, matching with the schedule of 150 different people coming in and leaving from out of town, making sure everyone is comfortable and well placed, it's a complex task to plan and execute such an event. Which is why, we prefer no more than 150 members. The question is, are you willing to step up to make your voice count and actively participate to make the difference.

Some of the IV members who have already signed up include PHDs, Medical doctors, employees to large tech companies, university professors etc. We would like to invite everyone who aligns with our stated goals of elimination of EB backlogs.

What are you supposed to do to be part of Advocacy days? What Do I need to do in advance?

You do not have to do anything in advance. If you have the burning desire to stand-up for you and your family, to speak up and have your voice heard in a democratic process, have lawmakers listen to your issues so that there could be a meaningful reform, then this is your chance to make a difference.

Just sign-up and show up on time. We will setup meetings with Senate offices and specific House offices for you. When you arrive, we will hand you your meeting schedule, training material, advocacy folders for each office, provide you with specific training on how to meaningfully and effectively communicate your personal story, plus we will go over how to explain our problems and issues when you go for the meetings with Congressional Offices.

Sign-up for the Advocacy days here (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80)

I've Secret clearance required for my job, will attending Advocacy Days affect my clearance?

Speaking-up and making your voice heard in a civilized manner is the most American thing. In Advocacy events, we are meeting with Congressional offices to tell our stories and recommend solutions based on how things work on the ground. There is nothing wrong with participating in Advocacy days. In fact, at the meeting you could probably end up getting picture with your Senator or Member of Congress. None of this should negatively affect your security clearance of any other part of your job or immigration process.

Please read below for the experience of others who attend past IV Advocacy Days:

1) redds777 sharing his story and highlighting the importance of the IV platform.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/1598012-live-updates-advocacy-day-event.html#post1962756

2) devang777 shares his inspiring experience and the power feeling of visiting Capitol Hill.
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/1598012-live-updates-advocacy-day-event-2.html#post1962889

3) needhelp has flown across the country to be at EVERY IV advocacy event, even after getting her GC. She is one of our respected lead volunteers and has been involved with the behind-the-scenes logistics and preparations for every IV advocacy event. Below is her experience -

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/1598012-live-updates-advocacy-day-event-3.html#post1963685

4) Advocacy day experience by Starsun, another major driving force behind coordinating all our advocacy events

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/1598012-live-updates-advocacy-day-event-3.html#post1963702

5) http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/1598012-live-updates-advocacy-day-event-3.html#post1963852

6) gsc999 shares a very important perspective and his experience with advocacy.
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/1598012-live-updates-advocacy-day-event-3.html#post1963883

7) logiclife sharing his IV advocacy experience in an inspiring way
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/1598012-live-updates-advocacy-day-event-4.html#post1964344

8) goosetavo sharing his experience and highlighting the importance of advocating for our cause

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/1598012-live-updates-advocacy-day-event-4.html#post1964381

9) Longtime IV member santb1975 providing a detailed description about the 3-day event in April 2010.
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/1598012-live-updates-advocacy-day-event-4.html#post1965259

Administrator2
08-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Here is the latest newsletter for the event: Newsletter - 12th August, 2013 (http://www.getresponse.com/archive/ivnewsletter/11961834.html)

deeshin
08-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Can somebody let me know How I can donate airmiles.
Thanks

psagarn
08-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Can some one please point me to the discussion where it was summarized why we should oppose it? As I see, it would add another 55K immigrant visas for STEM graduates which if go unused, would come down to EB2. Also, it proposes to eliminate the country cap too. May be I am missing some important thing here, can some one please clarify?

waitingnwaiting
08-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Can some one please point me to the discussion where it was summarized why we should oppose it? As I see, it would add another 55K immigrant visas for STEM graduates which if go unused, would come down to EB2. Also, it proposes to eliminate the country cap too. May be I am missing some important thing here, can some one please clarify?

I think there was a newsletter for it some weeks ago. You should also like the IV facebook page to see updates. They had a conference call for all IV members last week.

psagarn
08-08-2013, 01:09 PM
I think there was a newsletter for it some weeks ago. You should also like the IV facebook page to see updates. They had a conference call for all IV members last week.
I looked at one newsletter that was linked to, in the OP but that letter does not say why, it just says "according to some .... the wait would increase from 30 to 300 yrs..". But how? adding 55k additional GCs and removing the country cap are IMHO, a very good thing for the over all wait time for GC.

forever_waiting
08-08-2013, 01:18 PM
remember that hr 2131 increases h1B to 195K so 3 times more ppl are added to the queue.

I looked at one newsletter that was linked to, in the OP but that letter does not say why, it just says "according to some .... the wait would increase from 30 to 300 yrs..". But how? adding 55k additional GCs and removing the country cap are IMHO, a very good thing for the over all wait time for GC.

psagarn
08-08-2013, 01:22 PM
remember that hr 2131 increases h1B to 195K so 3 times more ppl are added to the queue.

true, but would all of them choose to apply for GC? What is the current number i.e. how many H1Bs choose to apply for GC every year. Also, 55K new GCs would be added so some of that effect would be neutralized. I do not intend to start the discussion all over again, just looking for the place where all this research and analysis has been done.

forever_waiting
08-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Ok the main reason for the backlogs today is the temporary increase in H1B count in the late 1990s. Most immigration policy experts point this out.
And remember H1B count does not include dependents whereas GC count does. So technically 195K * 2.2 applicants (I agree all dont apply but fact is MOST do..which is the reason for the current backlogs) are added to the GC queue.
true, but would all of them choose to apply for GC? What is the current number i.e. how many H1Bs choose to apply for GC every year. Also, 55K new GCs would be added so some of that effect would be neutralized. I do not intend to start the discussion all over again, just looking for the place where all this research and analysis has been done.

greyhair
08-08-2013, 01:44 PM

Let me try to clarify. I was under the same impression that HR2131 is good because I was only thinking about my application. I was on one of those calls mentioned in this thread. The bigger picture is that HR2131 increases green cards by a very small number, and increased H1 to 195K. And the bill doesn't add 55K green cards for us, it make Eb-1/2/3 number to 165K. This means backlog will increase over time when more people come into the system than the number of people that can be processed by the system. For those with 2010 EB-2 date (like yours) this may be sufficient to get a green card. The way system will work, over time you will see more people stuck in the backlogs, and those people will be more attractive for your employer.

At this moment most of us seem to think that we are invincible and getting green card will land us in a better or secure jobs. However, the way the system will work under HR2131, we will be less attractive for employers because of our green card. And we will have less chance to land a job. We may think that we are smart, intelligent, talented, special, so this will not happen to us. But this is how the system largely works for most part. I just recently understood that reducing backlog doesn't mean someone who is close to being current has to get their application processed. Reducing backlog means, making green numbers available to those who are waiting in the backlog and making green numbers more than the new applicants coming into the system.

People doing this know well that removing per country caps is in the bill because IV is the brain child of this idea and pushing removing per-country limits. Removing per country limits is means to an end. The objective is to reduce the time of application processing. If HR2131 increases H1 numbers to 195K without adequately increasing green cards, removing per country limits will not be as much helpful.

Others are free to jump-in.

psagarn
08-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Let me try to clarify. I was under the same impression that HR2131 is good because I was only thinking about my application. I was on one of those calls mentioned in this thread. The bigger picture is that HR2131 increases green cards by a very small number, and increased H1 to 195K. And the bill doesn't add 55K green cards for us, it make Eb-1/2/3 number to 165K. This means backlog will increase over time when more people come into the system than the number of people that can be processed by the system. For those with 2010 EB-2 date (like yours) this may be sufficient to get a green card. The way system will work, over time you will see more people stuck in the backlogs, and those people will be more attractive for your employer.

At this moment most of us seem to think that we are invincible and getting green card will land us in a better or secure jobs. However, the way the system will work under HR2131, we will be less attractive for employers because of our green card. And we will have less chance to land a job. We may think that we are smart, intelligent, talented, special, so this will not happen to us. But this is how the system largely works for most part. I just recently understood that reducing backlog doesn't mean someone who is close to being current has to get their application processed. Reducing backlog means, making green numbers available to those who are waiting in the backlog and making green numbers more than the new applicants coming into the system.

People doing this know well that removing per country caps is in the bill because IV is the brain child of this idea and pushing removing per-country limits. Removing per country limits is means to an end. The objective is to reduce the time of application processing. If HR2131 increases H1 numbers to 195K without adequately increasing green cards, removing per country limits will not be as much helpful.

Others are free to jump-in.
Makes sense, except that it gives an impression that we do not want more non-immigrant visas coz that will create more competition for us. Not sure if that is what we (IV) want.

waitingnwaiting
08-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Makes sense, except that it gives an impression that we do not want more non-immigrant visas coz that will create more competition for us. Not sure if that is what we (IV) want.

I think bringing more H1Bs is ok as long as greencard quota is also increased proportionately. Companies and lawyers just want H1B quota increased so that they have more workers available to work for less and for a longer duration of time. They all know that once a person gets greencard, there is no lawyer income and he leaves the company for better salary elsewhere. We have to choose sides here in favor of immigrants and not in favor of greedy companies. Imagine how much abuse will happen in consulting companies if H1B quota is increased to 195K and greencard is not increased 2 times H1B increase to balance the load and keep it at current backlog levels.

psagarn
08-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Companies and lawyers just want H1B quota increased so that they have more workers available to work for less and for a longer duration of time.
This is a dangerous statement....are we saying that H1B program is a means to have cheap foreign labor available to US companies (at the expense of US citizens?).

waitingnwaiting
08-08-2013, 02:31 PM
This is a dangerous statement....are we saying that H1B program is a means to have cheap foreign labor available to US companies (at the expense of US citizens?).

It is not dangerous. We cannot close our eyes from reality and say everything is good with immigrants and employers. Many companies are good, but many are bad too for people who do not have green cards.

Almost all abuse of immigrant employees happen on non-immigrant visa. If you look at the salaries paid by such abusive employers you will find them lower than market wage. Ask your friends if you do not know. It may be as per DOL wage but DOL wage and prevailing wage in real market is different for bright people like us working for good companies. You will see that such consulting companies hire mostly Indians. Have you thought why. Even big desi consulting companies have 90% employees on L1 and H1 visa, 6% on EAD, 2% greencard and citizenship? It is because Indians have the highest waiting time for greencard. No other reason. If people from UK had highest waiting time in USA many employers would rather be interested in hiring only UK citizens. So in a way in the current scenario ROW is being discriminated in getting H1B jobs and their jobs are being given to Indians by companies. As immigrants we should stand up for what is good for immigrants.

psagarn
08-08-2013, 03:21 PM
It is not dangerous. We cannot close our eyes from reality and say everything is good with immigrants and employers. Many companies are good, but many are bad too for people who do not have green cards.

Almost all abuse of immigrant employees happen on non-immigrant visa. If you look at the salaries paid by such abusive employers you will find them lower than market wage. Ask your friends if you do not know. It may be as per DOL wage but DOL wage and prevailing wage in real market is different for bright people like us working for good companies. You will see that such consulting companies hire mostly Indians. Have you thought why. Even big desi consulting companies have 90% employees on L1 and H1 visa, 6% on EAD, 2% greencard and citizenship? It is because Indians have the highest waiting time for greencard. No other reason. If people from UK had highest waiting time in USA many employers would rather be interested in hiring only UK citizens. So in a way in the current scenario ROW is being discriminated in getting H1B jobs and their jobs are being given to Indians by companies. As immigrants we should stand up for what is good for immigrants.
Thanks for the explanation! Are there any more reasons?

waitingnwaiting
08-08-2013, 04:08 PM

Are you still not convinced? I have spent valuable time for you. My client pays me more than $100 per hour. You can now at least contribute for the lobby day. :)

psagarn
08-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Are you still not convinced? I have spent valuable time for you. My client pays me more than $100 per hour. You can now at least contribute for the lobby day. :)
I am sorry but you are right...I am not convinced. If, as an immigrant community, we are supposed to think about us (immigrant community) then why should I not just think about myself?

My stand is that in order to have some weight to what we say, we need to add numbers to our group. Increasing the H1B visa numbers is not necessarily a bad thing as it increases the output of US economy...this is the first part of the journey. Second part is converting the H1B holders into citizens and that has even better pay offs for US economy as people then start spending money on housing/cars instead of sending it back to India. The first part is taken care of by HR2131, we need numbers to convince law makers to act on second part. Part of the problem is that we are not a big enough group to make an impact (read a considerable vote bank). Once there are enough people in this mess and law makers see that with just one stroke of a brush they can win considerable votes, they will act on the second part. Not being able to do both parts in one go does not mean that we should not even start the journey. We can start it, achieve the first milestone..give it a break and then continue onto the second leg. Like I said this is my stand as of right now unless some one comes forward with any more reasons.

forever_waiting
08-08-2013, 04:36 PM
A half baked solution is no solution at all. What we need now is to push for ALL our provisions to be included in the House version...similar to how most made it into the Senate version thanks to IVs collective efforts. Otherwise the late 1990s/early 2000s will repeat itself and the GC queue will only grow longer. Those of us who have been waiting for 5-10 years might scrape through in the next 3-5 years (maybe for EB2, still difficult for EB3). But think of how increased backlogs will make high-skilled immigrants lives even more miserable. There is no research or analysis needed, which is what you seem to indicate. The math is pretty clear...close to 195*2.2 new applicants to queue with only 50K added (with some caveats). Per-country limit will add fairness by re-adjusting the queue but that is not enough to reduce backlogs..it only means everyone will wait for several years.
What is being discussed now is a comprehensive bill...there is no next time to it..once the version agreed by the Senate and House is passed that is it.. that comprehensive bill will define the immigration system of the US for the next several decades. The time for piecemeal is gone (when the opportunity for piecemeal was there...IV tried hard with 3012 and almost succeeded...but then there was at least a slight possibility then for additional piecemeal bills to increase GC count, visa recapture, which is not the case now).
You are right about pushing Congress with more number of our ilk ...which is what the IV advocacy days are all about and which is where we convey (or remind..as this msg has been conveyed all along) that high-skilled immigration is not about H1B but GCs.. Do participate in it.

I am sorry but you are right...I am not convinced. If, as an immigrant community, we are supposed to think about us (immigrant community) then why should I not just think about myself?

My stand is that in order to have some weight to what we say, we need to add numbers to our group. Increasing the H1B visa numbers is not necessarily a bad thing as it increases the output of US economy...this is the first part of the journey. Second part is converting the H1B holders into citizens and that has even better pay offs for US economy as people then start spending money on housing/cars instead of sending it back to India. The first part is taken care of by HR2131, we need numbers to convince law makers to act on second part. Part of the problem is that we are not a big enough group to make an impact (read a considerable vote bank). Once there are enough people in this mess and law makers see that with just one stroke of a brush they can win considerable votes, they will act on the second part. Not being able to do both parts in one go does not mean that we should not even start the journey. We can start it, achieve the first milestone..give it a break and then continue onto the second leg. Like I said this is my stand as of right now unless some one comes forward with any more reasons.

imh1b
08-08-2013, 04:51 PM

So you want Congress to increase H1B quota now. And when backlog becomes as big as 300 years, we try again with all new H1bs to get more greencard. Next CIR maybe after 10 years. So we should wait until 10 years for round 2?

May I ask why do you even care to ask for reasons and be convinced. You are EB2 with 2010 PD. You will get your greencard soon. What is the latest prediction?

prince_nagi@yahoo.com
08-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Gutierrez: I’ve got 40-50 GOP votes for immigration reform (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/08/08/gutierrez-ive-got-40-50-gop-votes-for-immigration-reform/)

rupen
08-08-2013, 08:25 PM

Let me try to explain this. We are not supporting increasing or decreasing H1B. But what we are saying is if you increase H1b, increase green card by proper ratio. Dependents are not counted in H1b but when they apply for the green card, they are counted. Average dependents for person applying for green card was 2.2. So, if H1 is increased to 195k, we need at least double of green cards just to match the demand. This won't take care of existing backlog which exists. Today's backlog that we are seeing is the result of increased H1 during 1999 to 2003 when H1bs were increased without increase in green card. Just those 4 years were enough to create this backlog. Imagine what would happen if this is made permanent. Again, we are not saying that we do not want H1b increased. All we are saying is, if you are increasing H1, increase green card at least 2 times of H1B just to match demand. Now, those who are waiting for adjustment of status would be benefited shortly because of per country removal and few thousand additional green cards. But that is very short term. In medium to long run as green card backlog increases, it is going to affect those who will be coming new and those who would have green cards by that time. After 1986, for the first time, we are as close to immigration bill as we are today. Do we just accept few small things that would help us in short term but affect us all in medium to long run? I do not think so. Senate bill already has provisions that we seek and there is broad support for that. So, why should we let few small groups take that away from us?

greyhair
08-08-2013, 08:38 PM

Competition is fine if everyone is playing by the same standards/rules. And there is nothing dangerous to say the truth. Yes H1B program means cheap labor for companies if there is a long delay in green cards. Cheap labor in US will come at the expense of US workers. Reducing backlogs will not just work in favor of immigrant workers, it will work in favor of US workers too. Why is this truth so dangerous? I thought the truth was supposed to set us free.

greyhair
08-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Is this not enough?

goosetavo
08-09-2013, 02:06 AM

We cannot allow CIR to do harm to future immigrants, it's irresponsible to allow Congress to create such an imbalance in the GC backlogs. Think of the frustration of being in the endless queues, waiting for Visa Bulletins, having our souses unable to work... would you really wish this on 10X more folks? The purpose of CIR or IV for that matter is not to get more Indians into this country, it's to help employment-based immigrants have a future in this country, that means GC's.

LglImi
08-09-2013, 07:52 AM
So are you guys done fighting and BS so that you can take a look at action items by the leaders who are working hard(free of cost) to get you a GC one way or another..

Stop these "discussions" which leads to no conclusions and do something as per action items.that was the topic/1st post of this thread.

ronhira
08-09-2013, 09:29 AM
We cannot allow CIR to do harm to future immigrants, it's irresponsible to allow Congress to create such an imbalance in the GC backlogs. Think of the frustration of being in the endless queues, waiting for Visa Bulletins, having our souses unable to work... would you really wish this on 10X more folks? The purpose of CIR or IV for that matter is not to get more Indians into this country, it's to help employment-based immigrants have a future in this country, that means GC's.

totally agree with you...... high skilled immigration is not, never was, @ getting more indians to US.... its @ creating a fair system.... fair system is one where everyone is treated equal.... if immigrant workers have less ability to change jobs then employers find hiring immigrant workers more attractive.... which means immigrant workers are at advantage of landing a job....... hurting US worker.....

we r seaking a system where immigrants get their green card quickly so we have the same ability to change jobs, and we r not creating disadvantage for US workers either..... the purpose of immigration system not so that immigration employers can have a business, or, small handful of companies can thrive on the labor of immigrant workforce, or, to get more people of certain ethnicity to US...... the purpose is fair and just system for everyone...... system that increases h1 visa without propotionately increasing green cards is not helping to create a fair and just system for anyone - US workers, immigrant workers and US economy. .... more h1s and less green cards will work great for small handful to employers..... but it will screw everyone else in the system.......

imh1b
08-09-2013, 10:57 AM
I have contributed $100 to IV yesterday and I am planning to attend. I will fill the form once my schedule is confirmed.

Go IV.

PS. Ignore idiots. There are such people everywhere and in every activist movement. They will never have a satisfying life whichever community they will live in their life. A human being cannot live alone and so it is wrong to only think selfishly or behave like pests living off someone else hard work in IV. Each one of us has a responsibility towards our community well being. Karma catches up to each and has a way of teaching a lesson or rewarding people handsomely.

waitingnwaiting
08-09-2013, 11:26 AM
All of us working in IT consulting should expect our rates going per hour if House version of CIR is passed. It will not matter if we are EAD holders, greencard holders or citizens. If too many H1Bs are brought in this will happen to any market. Add the H4 work permit rule to the maths and now you will have double the amount of workers who are held hostage forever by their temporary status. They will do NOTHING to boost economy because they cannot start companies on H1B status or will be high earners. They will only boost the annual bonuses of top executives of companies. We workers need to fight for our interests.

TO BE OR NO TO BE
08-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Do we have to be there all three days?

I would like to be in DC for this advocacy event but can only make it on 7th or half day on 8th. I have a prior commitment in Chicago on 9th and 10th which I am working to change but if I can't change then would have to be there so curious if I enrolled for this advocacy event, is it all or none or one can participate for day or more.

Thank you,

psagarn
08-09-2013, 12:58 PM
A half baked solution is no solution at all. What we need now is to push for ALL our provisions to be included in the House version...similar to how most made it into the Senate version thanks to IVs collective efforts. Otherwise the late 1990s/early 2000s will repeat itself and the GC queue will only grow longer. Those of us who have been waiting for 5-10 years might scrape through in the next 3-5 years (maybe for EB2, still difficult for EB3). But think of how increased backlogs will make high-skilled immigrants lives even more miserable. There is no research or analysis needed, which is what you seem to indicate. The math is pretty clear...close to 195*2.2 new applicants to queue with only 50K added (with some caveats). Per-country limit will add fairness by re-adjusting the queue but that is not enough to reduce backlogs..it only means everyone will wait for several years.
What is being discussed now is a comprehensive bill...there is no next time to it..once the version agreed by the Senate and House is passed that is it.. that comprehensive bill will define the immigration system of the US for the next several decades. The time for piecemeal is gone (when the opportunity for piecemeal was there...IV tried hard with 3012 and almost succeeded...but then there was at least a slight possibility then for additional piecemeal bills to increase GC count, visa recapture, which is not the case now).
You are right about pushing Congress with more number of our ilk ...which is what the IV advocacy days are all about and which is where we convey (or remind..as this msg has been conveyed all along) that high-skilled immigration is not about H1B but GCs.. Do participate in it.
You are thinking about what you want but not at all taking into consideration how you are going to get it and that is more important. Every one is entitled to his/her opinion and is free to take actions based upon them. What you said makes sense but is it practical, I doubt it. Why did the earlier IV effort (3012) not materialize? I am not blaming any one but this is a fact that that effort did not yield what we wanted and in my opinion the reason is that we lack the required weight to pull off any great feat. A great misery to a miniscule minority is far less important to others than a minor irritation to the majority.

As you see, the final goal is same and I do not differ there...my only point of disagreement is the strategy. I am not here to convince anyone just wanted to understand the reasons to oppose 2131 before contributing any resources towards it. I think I know whatever others wanted to say and this should be the end of this discussion.

For the curious, yes I did contribute (~400 bucks)

psagarn
08-09-2013, 01:06 PM
PS. Ignore idiots. There are such people everywhere and in every activist movement. They will never have a satisfying life whichever community they will live in their life. A human being cannot live alone and so it is wrong to only think selfishly or behave like pests living off someone else hard work in IV. Each one of us has a responsibility towards our community well being. Karma catches up to each and has a way of teaching a lesson or rewarding people handsomely.
Excellent piece of advice, thanks a lot! you have done a great service to IV by standing up to (showing?) what you believe in (my way or highway!). Truly outstanding and civilized words that you used for people you have not even spent a few minutes with, leave alone knowing them (pests! Idiots!) really say a lot!

Way to go imh1b!

forever_waiting
08-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Your response is a little vague and I am not sure what you mean by the statement below. This is not a dreamt-out strategy that I or few of us have came up with. I have volunteered for IV and been to 3 past lobby days but am still learning about how Congress works. But I do know that every action item that IV core announces is strategically timed (and that is why the timing of these action items is so important). And the biggest lesson that I have learned from advocacy days is our goal as constituents is not to listen passively about what a bill should contain...but rather talk to lawmakers and tell them what it should contain (in this case..all our provisions and that its not just about increase H1B..GC has to go up proportionately AND other backlog elimination provisions have to be included). That has been the focus of IVs persistent lobbying over the past 6-7 years. Bottomline is that 2131 is not a step in the right direction due to reasons we have discussed above. You proposal of taking what we get now and hoping rest will get solved in the future is flawed. Remember 2007-CIR when, at the last minute, any pending high-skilled immigrant clauses were chucked out of the bill as part of compromise to include other provisions? Same could happen here if we try to cling on to the few high-skilled/GC clauses that you seem to be content restricting the bill to.

You are thinking about what you want but not at all taking into consideration how you are going to get it and that is more important. Every one is entitled to his/her opinion and is free to take actions based upon them. What you said makes sense but is it practical, I doubt it. Why did the earlier IV effort (3012) not materialize? I am not blaming any one but this is a fact that that effort did not yield what we wanted and in my opinion the reason is that we lack the required weight to pull off any great feat. A great misery to a miniscule minority is far less important to others than a minor irritation to the majority.

As you see, the final goal is same and I do not differ there...my only point of disagreement is the strategy. I am not here to convince anyone just wanted to understand the reasons to oppose 2131 before contributing any resources towards it. I think I know whatever others wanted to say and this should be the end of this discussion.

For the curious, yes I did contribute (~400 bucks)

BZA
08-09-2013, 10:01 PM
I am planning to attend the DC event. I cancelled my holiday in Aug and took off on Sep 9th & 10th.

I did not attend any of the previous advocacy events.

I will be driving from New Jersey.

checkmet64
08-12-2013, 01:53 AM
Your response is a little vague and I am not sure what you mean by the statement below. This is not a dreamt-out strategy that I or few of us have came up with. I have volunteered for IV and been to 3 past lobby days but am still learning about how Congress works. But I do know that every action item that IV core announces is strategically timed (and that is why the timing of these action items is so important). And the biggest lesson that I have learned from advocacy days is our goal as constituents is not to listen passively about what a bill should contain...but rather talk to lawmakers and tell them what it should contain (in this case..all our provisions and that its not just about increase H1B..GC has to go up proportionately AND other backlog elimination provisions have to be included). That has been the focus of IVs persistent lobbying over the past 6-7 years. Bottomline is that 2131 is not a step in the right direction due to reasons we have discussed above. You proposal of taking what we get now and hoping rest will get solved in the future is flawed. Remember 2007-CIR when, at the last minute, any pending high-skilled immigrant clauses were chucked out of the bill as part of compromise to include other provisions? Same could happen here if we try to cling on to the few high-skilled/GC clauses that you seem to be content restricting the bill to.

I think this entire discussion could have been avoided if little more efforts would have been made to educate people. I have been actively participating in IV action items for last one year and I could not grasp the entire issue based on one email that was sent out. And yes, I belong to the STEM fields, so on the face 2131 DOES seems okay to me. In fact, I could not answer this question to someone who I had invited to be an IV member. If I have to have any chance of convincing other people, we need to be doing more on educating people. How difficult is it for the experts to write a two page summary and distribute to the members. Some might not even read it, but at least could have used it to answer questions, like the one I got. Sorry we are arranging this big advocacy day event even when majority of us do not grasp the whole issue completely.

Now some might say, oh this is a volunteer driven organization and people should not expect to be educated, they should educate themselves. But sorry if we are ourselves convinced by the mission and are seeking more support then its our job to convince others; else we should not ask for participation. People coming from India, like me are intrinsically skeptical because of everything that we see there, so we should not simply expect to receive attention/money/time. We have to be able to “sell” our mission, else be ready to proceed alone. And that’s perfectly fine. We cannot simply gloss over issues.

That brings me to other big question of giving "Donor" access to the members who have been donating. I have personally donated frequently and have brought in a bunch as well. As I educated here, I also contacted at least 50 universities about our missions and asked for support. But still I do not get access to what is really being done. I was promised this almost a year back, but due to HR3012 being at critical juncture, I was asked to wait. I was even willing to self-identify in any form that is suitable. Sorry, but if I am myself not aware then I can’t convince others. Other important part about donating is to know how the money was spent. A year-end summary of how all the money received was spent was not sent. I have donated to other non-profits even run by students, but they promptly send a summary at the year end. I know that people are working hard but this is super important if we are to make other aware about IVs mission.

Sorry for the long post, but it had to be said at this point. Bottom line, if we do not do a good job at convincing people then we cannot expect more support, no matter what the mission is.

eastindia
08-12-2013, 09:13 AM
@checkmet64 I know some answers to your questions. You raised a good question about flier explaining pros and cons. It maybe a good idea, but I think IV is a fully volunteer organization and for every work, there needs someone doing that. Who will write it?

There is no more donor forum. Being a donor myself, I do not see it anymore. It seems to been stopped. I think it was a maintenance issue. The CIR bill and House strategy has been explained very well to all active IV members. We have been having conference calls. There was one very big call for all IV members last weekend. You should also like the Facebook page for updates. I think one cannot just visit the site and passively check updates every few months and go back. IV has become more interactive outside forum from what I can see. It has become more one on one with people who are taking part. Forums are full of people who say anything because nobody knows them.

Those who take initiative get more is what see now. I and many others have visited our local Congressman in their meeting recently. We had a conference call with IV leaders before we went to train. About your final questions on donations, you maybe giving to other non-profits but they may not be lobbying. IV is different. I sincerely request you to come to Washington DC next month and see for yourself how these people do things. You can directly ask them if you have doubts. They are like us and will answer you.

spaceguy
08-12-2013, 10:32 AM
I want to participate in advocay event. I have to book my flight tickets
Is there any group booking for accomodation and car pooling ? Any separte thread running for these

checkmet64
08-12-2013, 06:52 PM
@checkmet64 I know some answers to your questions. You raised a good question about flier explaining pros and cons. It maybe a good idea, but I think IV is a fully volunteer organization and for every work, there needs someone doing that. Who will write it?

There is no more donor forum. Being a donor myself, I do not see it anymore. It seems to been stopped. I think it was a maintenance issue. The CIR bill and House strategy has been explained very well to all active IV members. We have been having conference calls. There was one very big call for all IV members last weekend. You should also like the Facebook page for updates. I think one cannot just visit the site and passively check updates every few months and go back. IV has become more interactive outside forum from what I can see. It has become more one on one with people who are taking part. Forums are full of people who say anything because nobody knows them.

Those who take initiative get more is what see now. I and many others have visited our local Congressman in their meeting recently. We had a conference call with IV leaders before we went to train. About your final questions on donations, you maybe giving to other non-profits but they may not be lobbying. IV is different. I sincerely request you to come to Washington DC next month and see for yourself how these people do things. You can directly ask them if you have doubts. They are like us and will answer you.

eastindia, exactly this is the kind of response I mean by "glossing over" the facts. What is required is specifics. Asking members to come to DC even without them understanding how this bill is harmful is crazy. If people have been to these conference calls then no one knows the specifics to share here or with the emails that are going out? Not everyone is going to be able to attend conference calls. Same thing applies to other things like financial statements. There might be valid reasons but they also have to be communicated.

And yes, its an incorrect assumption that people "visit the site and passively check updates every few months and go back." I personally have been doing all the action items recommended for CIR and 2131 and asking friends and family to do them as well. Even though I dint completely understand the implications, I trusted IV core's judgement. But the question about 2131 was raised a couple of times before as well and no one cared to answer with specifics, so I had to bump it up strongly.

The goal here is to understand so that we can make others participate. But looks like no one really cares.

ps the tone of some of the responses on this forum is aimed at driving away people, again if we are convinced by our mission we should be more tolerant.

eastindia
08-13-2013, 10:27 AM
@checkmet64 I think the issue is IV being volunteer organization and so there has to be a few volunteers to answer questions and communicate to members. Generally it is a job of full time staff in other organizations. Since everyone has a regular job, it seems to be the main problem. I personally took half day off 2 times to meet Congressman office and go to a townhall meeting in the last couple of months. If I go to advocacy day next month I will be taking vacation for another 2 days from my limited time. That reduces my time for India vacation this year. It is a big commitment to do even the events organized by IV where we just have to go. But then I think I am doing it for myself and not doing anyone any favor by spending my money and time for going there. At least these guys in IV are spending more time than me to organize these meetings and keeping our advocacy running despite their full time jobs. This is why I donate every month and appreciate them. I asked you to come to Washington DC because when you see all volunteers in person, you will appreciate everyone and see how difficult it is. Your questions will be answered as mine were in the past.

I agree with you about more communication. More volunteers should come on the thread and post. Even I have reduced my visits to IV. There is a lot of job pressure. It is a choice for me to spend my half day going to a town hall meeting this month and getting ready for it through calls or arguing with some random persons on the forums. It is impossible to find who is serious and who is not. It is each to his own. If someone is serious they will participate and figure out I guess.

eastindia
08-13-2013, 10:50 AM
ps the tone of some of the responses on this forum is aimed at driving away people, again if we are convinced by our mission we should be more tolerant.

I spend more time visiting IV facebook page to get updates. It is much better. People behave carefully when their real name and social reputation is on the line if they were to post in wrong tone.

psaxena
08-13-2013, 11:46 AM

I agree, some wierd cooking is going on by presenting the fact in a little twisted way to make the bill look bad. Its not that bad. There is a need for more skilled immigrants and this bill does exactly to help that. Not only that there are so many checks and balances in the system now (unlike in the past any tom dick and harry can come and do whatever they want to) ,only the skilled workers who are genuinely required will only be able to come over. So with more of these visas will help and ONLY help the US economy. I believe the rest who are left and stuck in the GC backlog are one of the best that definately this country wants them to stay and help in contributing to the economy. This I am saying because if someone can survive the 2 recessions and still do better, there must be some skills that this group has.
Now if this bill is going to create a backlog is still questionable with added 55000 visa for STEM and no cap on countries. Its not that with the passage of the bill all of a sudden there will be in flux of 195000 immigrants in a day, it will happen gradually but at the same time with No country cap the line will be moving and with average wait of 5-8 years everyone will be getting their GCs ... and not to mention guys like us who are stuck will also get the relief from the backlog.
Having said that I would support the bill. Also about the responsibility for the immigrants , I will only be able the future immigrants when I am in a position to help and support which at this stage I am not.

psaxena
08-13-2013, 12:03 PM
totally agree with you...... high skilled immigration is not, never was, @ getting more indians to US.... its @ creating a fair system.... fair system is one where everyone is treated equal.... if immigrant workers have less ability to change jobs then employers find hiring immigrant workers more attractive.... which means immigrant workers are at advantage of landing a job....... hurting US worker.....

we r seaking a system where immigrants get their green card quickly so we have the same ability to change jobs, and we r not creating disadvantage for US workers either..... the purpose of immigration system not so that immigration employers can have a business, or, small handful of companies can thrive on the labor of immigrant workforce, or, to get more people of certain ethnicity to US...... the purpose is fair and just system for everyone...... system that increases h1 visa without propotionately increasing green cards is not helping to create a fair and just system for anyone - US workers, immigrant workers and US economy. .... more h1s and less green cards will work great for small handful to employers..... but it will screw everyone else in the system.......

I agree but the only problem is the perspective.. now you want a fair system deeming that the demand is permanent.. but when the workforce problem is presented to the law makers , they are told and they percieve it has the temporary requirement for companies and need someway to recycle the visas. So when they look at it , they look at the way as when the visa expires the immigrants go back and fresh boat of new ones will come over , in reality it doesn't happen.. but these visas numbers are proposed using this exact same thought process. If you want the fair process , which is totally the contrary to the belief when the temp visas numbers are increased,you may need to change the very basic idea of getting immigrants from "temporary" to "permanent". I guess this is good for the debate but unfortunately thats a fact. As far as the "Just" and "Fair" system is concerned I think there are many checks and balances in place and more were tried to put into the system, but the same immigrant (WE) group opposes them and lobby against it and beat it down. So the question arises, do we really want a "Just" and "Fair" system? or are we the pawns of "again" the employers who had been exploiting us??????

imh1b
08-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Its not that with the passage of the bill all of a sudden there will be in flux of 195000 immigrants in a day, it will happen gradually but at the same time with No country cap the line will be moving and with average wait of 5-8 years everyone will be getting their GCs ... and not to mention guys like us who are stuck will also get the relief from the backlog.

Can you explain mathematically how if this version of the bill is passed, by adding 195000 H1Bs and removing country quotas, people in EB3I can get greencard within 5-8 years?

psaxena
08-13-2013, 12:17 PM
So you want Congress to increase H1B quota now. And when backlog becomes as big as 300 years, we try again with all new H1bs to get more greencard. Next CIR maybe after 10 years. So we should wait until 10 years for round 2?

May I ask why do you even care to ask for reasons and be convinced. You are EB2 with 2010 PD. You will get your greencard soon. What is the latest prediction?

This 300 years is like a punch line , the same way obamacare was labeled as "Death panel" and what not. Do not use the scare tactics which are not going to happen. If there is a backlog that big I don't think anyone would be coming over and again demand and supply will kick in and lawmakers will be forced to do something about it.
Quite possible with the better economy and no recession the outcomes may be more positive, so I would suggest atleast something is better than nothing later. Why to oppose something for which we do not even know , whats gonna happen in the future.
Farsightedness and Planning for future is good, but its not advisable if there are many dominating variables in the equation to which you do not have any control on. At this time , what we get and which empowers to make us the dominating variable may be a better approach. A planned, phased, gated approach I think is the solution at this time,which this bill presents us.

psaxena
08-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Can you explain mathematically how if this version of the bill is passed, by adding 195000 H1Bs and removing country quotas, people in EB3I can get greencard within 5-8 years?

You can use the same calculation , that was used to promote the HR3012.

imh1b
08-13-2013, 12:31 PM
You can use the same calculation , that was used to promote the HR3012.
Which one? can you show me please.

And HR3012 did not have additional 195,000H1B applications. Even if 50% of these apply, total new applications will be *2.5 = 487,500 additional new applications added to the backlog. This is equal to the +- existing backlog. Now imagine this number keeps increasing each year with new 195,000 applications of H1B added to it. So please tell me with maths how adding just 55k new greencards and removing country limits you can claim EB3I backlog will come down to 5-8 years?

imh1b
08-13-2013, 12:34 PM
This 300 years is like a punch line , the same way obamacare was labeled as "Death panel" and what not. Do not use the scare tactics which are not going to happen. If there is a backlog that big I don't think anyone would be coming over and again demand and supply will kick in and lawmakers will be forced to do something about it.
Quite possible with the better economy and no recession the outcomes may be more positive, so I would suggest atleast something is better than nothing later. Why to oppose something for which we do not even know , whats gonna happen in the future.
Farsightedness and Planning for future is good, but its not advisable if there are many dominating variables in the equation to which you do not have any control on. At this time , what we get and which empowers to make us the dominating variable may be a better approach. A planned, phased, gated approach I think is the solution at this time,which this bill presents us.

Numbers and calculations please.

How can you claim EB3I backlog will come down to 5-8 years if the bill is passed?

psaxena
08-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Numbers and calculations please.

How can you claim EB3I backlog will come down to 5-8 years if the bill is passed?

Nice calculations.. but that will be the future who will get in line after 3-4 years.. thats means they will get in line in and around 2018-2020. By that time , its not that senate will close down or the government will shut down.. At that time you can lobby as prospective citizen with GC in your hand and I will join you too...

Also looking at the world the way its changing, there may be a government in place which will work to take care of the problem , taking into consideration the demand and supply pressure from the companies given that US will not be a great destination with that kind of a GC situation.

Sometimes number just donot spell the solution or problem. Here's a small story for that.

There was a river 5 feet deep. A family had to cross the river so they took the advise from a mathematician IMH1B ..
Family: Sir, is it safe to cross the river?
IMH1B: How many are you and what their heights..
Family: Sir we are 5 men of height as follows 4 ft, 5 ft, 3ft, 6ft, 5ft , 4ft
IMH1B: Okie as per my calculation the avg height is 5.4ft and the dept of the river is 5 ft.. so as per my calculation its safe to cross the river..

well the family crossed the river and lost 3 members :o

So sometimes maths do not work at all the times.. at this time we are getting something.. and may not get anything due to your mathematical backlog count. In future there may be better reforms and bills to fix the problem, which may only come up only by the dire need due to a really really jacked up situation.

Who knows about the future.. but why to screw up that can help everyone who are already in the grind. I see a friend on mine who has to pay out of state tuition fee just because he doesn't have a GC. I don't say do not worry about the future immigrants but first look at the situation in hand.
The way I see it .. opposing this bill has ulterior motive and nothing else... I am a very rational person and none of opposing argument convince me.

sanjay
08-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Sometimes number just donot spell the solution or problem. Here's a small story for that.

There was a river 5 feet deep. A family had to cross the river so they took the advise from a mathematician IMH1B ..
IMH1B: Okie as per my calculation the avg height is 5.4ft and the dept of the river is 5 ft.. so as per my calculation its safe to cross the river..

Saxena,

LOL. Story was too good.

reddymjm
08-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Eb3 india 22sep03.

imh1b
08-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Nice calculations.. but that will be the future who will get in line after 3-4 years.. thats means they will get in line in and around 2018-2020. By that time , its not that senate will close down or the government will shut down.. At that time you can lobby as prospective citizen with GC in your hand and I will join you too...

Also looking at the world the way its changing, there may be a government in place which will work to take care of the problem , taking into consideration the demand and supply pressure from the companies given that US will not be a great destination with that kind of a GC situation.

So sometimes maths do not work at all the times.. at this time we are getting something.. and may not get anything due to your mathematical backlog count. In future there may be better reforms and bills to fix the problem, which may only come up only by the dire need due to a really really jacked up situation.

Who knows about the future.. but why to screw up that can help everyone who are already in the grind. I see a friend on mine who has to pay out of state tuition fee just because he doesn't have a GC. I don't say do not worry about the future immigrants but first look at the situation in hand.
The way I see it .. opposing this bill has ulterior motive and nothing else... I am a very rational person and none of opposing argument convince me.
Here's a small story for that.

There was a river 5 feet deep. psaxena family had to cross the river so they took the advise from the head of the family psaxena ..
Family: psaxena, is it safe to cross the river?
psaxena: How many are you and what their heights..
Family: psaxena we are 5 men of height as follows 4 ft, 5 ft, 3ft, 6ft, 5ft , 4ft
psaxena: Okie as per my intelligence lets all cross the river. Once I cross I will care for those left behind.

Well only psaxena crossed the river and lost 4 members since he only thought about his own case.

psaxena
08-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Here's a small story for that.

There was a river 5 feet deep. psaxena family had to cross the river so they took the advise from the head of the family psaxena ..
Family: psaxena, is it safe to cross the river?
psaxena: How many are you and what their heights..
Family: psaxena we are 5 men of height as follows 4 ft, 5 ft, 3ft, 6ft, 5ft , 4ft
psaxena: Okie as per my intelligence lets all cross the river. Once I cross I will care for those left behind.

Well only psaxena crossed the river and lost 4 members since he only thought about his own case.

When arguments start to turn in to BS, its STRONGLY advised to just shut up...!!! Seriously..

Continuation to that story :

Psaxena went across the river threw a rope back to family and got everyone on the other side safe and sound...

The reason , I stopped visiting this site was because of the people like you..blind folded and no rational (Bhedchaal). Just the bunch of people who cannot see the ulterior motives or the otherside of the story which benefits a certain specific interest group, but NO you cannot see that. I want to write a lot , unfortunately cannot without offending a lot of people here.
So thats it ,thats all the talking I can do .. Get your views and facts straight see thru on whats going on and then support or oppose something.

imh1b
08-13-2013, 04:59 PM
When arguments start to turn in to BS, its STRONGLY advised to just shut up...!!! Seriously..

Psaxena went across the river threw a rope back to family and got everyone on the other side safe and sound...

The reason , I stopped visiting this site was because of the people like you..blind folded and no rational (Bhedchaal). Just the bunch of people who cannot see the ulterior motives or the otherside of the story which benefits a certain specific interest group, but NO you cannot see that. I want to write a lot , unfortunately cannot without offending a lot of people here.
So thats it ,thats all the talking I can do .. Get your views and facts straight see thru on whats going on and then support or oppose something.

After psaxena crossed the river since he 'can see more than others' he saw a really beautiful girl (citizenship) and forgot about his other fellows. They were anyways drowned. He ran towards that citizenship girl and pulled back the rope (closed the door behind him). He told those drowning people that "there are checks and balances in the river so you guys should be ok. And once more people start drowning, someone will come and help you guys. Bye Bye to you drowning people in EB3India. I will not visit this river (site) anymore because of you blind people. You EB3I are living blindfolded, no rational, I am a greencard holder with ulterior motives that you cannot see !!! Ha Ha. "

psaxena
08-13-2013, 07:02 PM
After psaxena crossed the river since he 'can see more than others' he saw a really beautiful girl (citizenship) and forgot about his other fellows. They were anyways drowned. He ran towards that citizenship girl and pulled back the rope (closed the door behind him). He told those drowning people that "there are checks and balances in the river so you guys should be ok. And once more people start drowning, someone will come and help you guys. Bye Bye to you drowning people in EB3India. I will not visit this river (site) anymore because of you blind people. You EB3I are living blindfolded, no rational, I am a greencard holder with ulterior motives that you cannot see !!! Ha Ha. "

your analogy doesn't make any sense.. I would suggest just stop smoking whatever you had been smoking. Logical argument is one thing.. but nothing can beat the BS you just delivered.

rupen
08-13-2013, 09:07 PM

You are right that those who are already in line won't be worst affected. Those who are applying after the bill is passed would be severely affected. We can take a approach that those who come in after will take care of themselves. But it would be naive to think that anything would happen after this bill passes though. Only reason, this bill is getting attention is because of other powerful forces at play who won't be in play after this bill passes. So, those coming here will certainly get stuck in the backlog and at that time those who have green card/citizenship would feel the pinch since they would find these H1 people being stuck with the employer willing to work at much lower salary.

It is not that every 5 to 10 years we get opportunity like this. The last major comprehensive bill was in 1986. Going by that statistics, it will be another 20-30 years after which any next immigration bill might be tried. The senate bill has many of the provisions we want. Compared to that, this bill is like peanuts. Do we just give up so easily and happily agree to whatever is thrown to us?

abcdgc
08-13-2013, 10:13 PM

Until last week I was confused that why IV is opposing this bill when it is removing per country limits. Then I decided to join the conference call and I thought I will convince others about the merits of this bill. I had an open mind and I went in to listen, learn and share what I think. After that call I wrote long emails and got even longer replies clarifying the details. So let me answer your concerns based on what I have understood until now.

What is the meaning of "Psaxena went across the river"? Does it mean Psaxena got green card which is just a paper? Or does it mean that Psaxena has the freedom to live the life that he thought he will live after getting green card?

When 195,000 people will come in every year they will add to the backlog. By the time you and I will get green card, there will be so many people and so exploitation in the industry that you will not stand a chance to land a job. A lot of people have a job because either they are H1 visa or because their green card applications is pending. When you get green card petition, if there is a large pool of you immigrant vulnerable workforce to choose from, your services will no longer be required by your employer because your employer will want to pay and screw another set of immigrants fresh off the boat. If you have problems landing a job, there will be no freedom and and there will be no independence. That is how the system works. Just because you do not know this does not mean that this is a "Bhedchaal".

You and everyone want green card because it gives us freedom and prospect of more pay. Here is the difference of pay between H1 and green card -
H-1B visa curbs: Indian IT companies may sponsor more green cards - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site (http://m.timesofindia.com/tech/careers/job-trends/H-1B-visa-curbs-Indian-IT-companies-may-sponsor-more-green-cards/articleshow/21735258.cms)

US worker groups have opposed getting more immigrants into US. They have grown negative and attacked immigrants like us. Instead if US worker groups would have advocated for better working conditions and equal rights for immigrants, that would have been more effective to make sure immigrants who come are treated properly, paid adequately, are not asked or expected to work 60-70 hours (with 40 hours pay), and have the ability to change employer with relative easy. If this was possible then exploitation of immigrants would have not been as much of an issue and none of us would have sought green cards as much either. Employers would have not sought immigrant workers as much. Then your testing qualification or basic sql knowledge or 40 hour worth pmp certificate would not have landed you a job, when a well qualified MBA US worker keeps sending resume again and again without landing a job. Now imagining swapping your position with the US worker because say now you have a green card. Now what? You demand/expect more money, you employer shows you the door, your job is given to new immigrant on H1 visa. There goes your dream of freedom and dream of making big after getting getting green card. Would you call this - "Psaxena went across the river"?

House bill increase of 195,000 H1 and only 55K green card means very very long green card lines. Meaning a lot of opportunity for exploitation and employer abuse. In an environment when a group of people are exploited and paid less, others in the same environment and company are also affected. For example, if immigrants are stuck in the backlog and employer doesn't need to give salary increase, it also depresses the wages of others working in that environment. You can talk to US workers to learn from their experience and find if this is true or not. You are not special. No one is. In the profession you seem to be, this will happen to you too if the backlog increases and there is large supply of low wage workforce available to US employer.

Now please don't respond by saying that anyone is arguing to reduce or eliminate H1 visas because no one is saying that. Based on what I heard, and I agree with this idea, IV is not seeking to decrease or reduce H1. I heard that IV is asking to increase green card numbers that is proportional to H1 visa increase. IV is saying if you bring people from outside, treat them fairly and don't treat them like animals. Because when some people are less equal than others, then no one is equal and everyone is treated unfairly. This is a difficult concept to grasp as it is mostly related to sociology and group dynamics. This concept is less related to just getting an approved paper when that paper no longer has any meaning.

I agree with all this because I've lived through hell in the backlogs during the last 10 years of my life. This is not what I signed up for when I came to US. I do not want anyone else to live through the backlogs. I've waited for 10 years already. I will get green card within the first year if per country limits is removed and 55K green cards are added to the system. But I do not want a horrifying experience as mine repeat 10 million times.

Saxena, If I go with your approach, I can safely ask to abolish green card after I get mine. Think about it, what is the purpose of green card process after I've received it? I'd say, close down all immigration after I get my green card because I've waited for 10 years. But that is not my approach because that is not who I am.

Now that I can better understand the consequences of the House bill, when I read yours and some of the other posts, I do not believe that you are selfish. I think you have not well informed and you haven't thought through. From your awareness level you are probably right. But then there is more to the system than what you know which is the reason I attempted to share what I learned.

You can continue thinking "Bhedchaal" or "daal main kuch kala hai" or "daal hi kali hai".

imh1b
08-14-2013, 06:47 AM
your analogy doesn't make any sense.. I would suggest just stop smoking whatever you had been smoking. Logical argument is one thing.. but nothing can beat the BS you just delivered.

When asked to debate logically and prove your claims you ran away from it and concocted a story. Now that your farce is caught, you are calling others BS.

Dude have you ever participated in an advocacy day? Did you ever go to DC to meet a lawmaker? You say a lot about HR3012 support. How many times have you gone to DC for it? Don't tell that you contributed, because it is nothing. Everyone who wants greencard contributes. But when you are so aggressive in your posts, what is the proof that you took any action? Stop being a tool and learn to view things 360 degree.

By only thinking about your application and wanting all others to go to hell, you are only showing your class or do not really want your greencard. You only visit immigration websites once in a while when you have an urge for grand masti at the expense of others who support the good work IV is doing.

gujju
08-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Guys ,

What is everybody waiting for.This it it.We need to make the House advocacy a success -We don't want to loose this opportunity and make the Green Cards Waiting times longer than what it is now.

We need lots of miles.Request everybody to come forward and attend and contribute .Together we can do it.

Thanks,
Gujju

spicy_guy
08-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Good luck, EB3 I 2003 friends. Long way (years) to go for 2004.

mugembo
08-14-2013, 10:34 AM
I think there are too many off the track talks on this thread. I was looking for more information on IV Advocacy Event.

I do want to attend this advocacy event. Can somebody show me if there is a separate thread I can look at where members has donated miles or sponsored an attendee?

The Alchemist
08-15-2013, 10:40 AM
As shared earlier (http://www.getresponse.com/archive/ivnewsletter/Immigration-Voice-Advocacy-Event-11934064.html), Immigration Voice is hosting another Advocacy Event on September 7 - 10, 2013. Thank you all who have already stepped forward to lead and push the policy to reduce backlogs. You could register for this event here (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=132). We truly appreciate you taking the initiative to join us in the good fight for immigration reform.

Please note that we are expecting to have at least 175 participants traveling from all over the country to meet with more than 350 Congressional offices. Immigration Voice members will be spending 3 - 4 days away from families and taking time-off from work. They will not be to just represent themselves but the fixes that will provide relief to all the high-skilled immigrants stuck in green card backlogs.

In case you cannot make it to the most consequential advocacy event, you can still help to positively influence the policy by:

Contributing (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/misc.php?do=donate) towards this cause
Donating airline miles / points (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=110)
Sponsoring (http://donations.immigrationvoice.org) an attendee

And for those joining us in Washington, D.C., we look forward to seeing you on September 7 - 10.

Thank You,
Team IV

hsingh82
08-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Receipt No:0386-1394-7552-1068

I suggest that there should be options to donate amounts between 200 and 500 (200, 400) or an option to enter value yourself.

madhu345
08-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Is it ok if I can be there for 2days just 8th and 9th?

The Alchemist
08-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Receipt No:0386-1394-7552-1068

I suggest that there should be options to donate amounts between 200 and 500 (200, 400) or an option to enter value yourself.

You can always send in a check for the desired amount. Send the checks payable to 'Immigration Voice' to the following address:

Immigration Voice
1177 Branham Lane #321
San Jose, CA 95118

Please write your Immigration Voice member ID (username) on the check.

The Alchemist
08-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Is it ok if I can be there for 2days just 8th and 9th?

Since you will be spending a lot of your personal time and money to be part of this event, it's better to be there for all days.

scrooge2011
08-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Activists caravan to Bakersfield to rally, urge immigration reform | abc7.com (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=9205862)

cnag
08-16-2013, 05:33 PM
$100 one time contribution for the event
Receipt No:1601-0960-4637-7601

bugsbunny
08-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Donated $100
Your transaction ID for this payment is: 4VJ37875LY173581H.

scrooge2011
08-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Home stretch guys! Do your part. :D

Your transaction ID for this payment is: 83P89497FD772092S

hsingh82
08-17-2013, 09:29 AM
You can always send in a check for the desired amount. Send the checks payable to 'Immigration Voice' to the following address:

Immigration Voice
1177 Branham Lane #321
San Jose, CA 95118

Please write your Immigration Voice member ID (username) on the check.

Agreed but it could be easier.

ramap
08-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Transaction id: 5XX29099XC268242D

cyrilg
08-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Thank you IV for your efforts, I can't make it in person to DC :)

Transaction ID for this payment is: 2B76766592389541S

looivy
08-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Can a Dusty Legislative Gambit Revive Immigration Reform? | TIME.com (http://swampland.time.com/2013/08/19/can-a-dusty-legislative-gambit-revive-immigration-reform/)

The Alchemist
08-20-2013, 07:05 AM
During the course of our journey, we all often come to a point where we have to make an important choice. This time, the choice is between standing up for ourselves, or, abetting the status quo by keeping quiet/not participating. Yes, this is the clear choice in front of you.

The threat of unresolved long backlogs is real. The danger of the House of Representatives not adequately fixing green card backlogs is grave. As much as we value our jobs, careers and the future of our families, we all know too well that long backlogs are the most significant threat to every opportunity that will come our way.

With such a clear choice, the question is - where do you stand? Please ask this question and listen to your heart. You can make a difference. We are all potentially capable of making that difference, but only if we make the right choice.

We ask you to come to Washington, DC to speak with lawmakers and tell them in over 350 meetings that we need more green cards. And although we would very much prefer for you to be to be there, however, if for some reason you are unable to make it, you can still express yourself with your contribution. Your contributions are a form of speech which will help us to assist other willing members to come to Washington, DC for participating in the most consequential advocacy event (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=132).

In case you are unable to make it, here is how you can stand-up for yourself:

Contribute (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/misc.php?do=donate) to sponsor and assist another willing IV member to represent us at the meeting with Member of Congress
Donate (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=110) airline miles / points

We look forward to seeing you on September 7 - 10.

Thank You,
Team IV

maanj
08-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Donated $200 - Receipt No: 3103-2362-2681-3855

kash80
08-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Donated $100 in support of the DC event. don't know where I can get the receipt #/transaction ID from.

eastindia
08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Donated $100 in support of the DC event. don't know where I can get the receipt #/transaction ID from.

You can check your email. There will be a paypal email.

kash80
08-20-2013, 01:14 PM
You can check your email. There will be a paypal email.

Thank you. Here's the transaction ID: 5FC65791M0066505N

cool_scorpio
08-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Transaction Number: S-1NL86936KN656983T

Murthy
08-20-2013, 06:52 PM
:)
Paypal Transaction ID for this payment is: 5CD86387WY872650V.
This is my third $100 onetime payment.
Paid to
Immigration Voice
donations@immigrationvoice.org
850-391-4966

gjothi
08-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Receipt number:
4098-2889-8129-4487

GCTorture
08-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Your transaction ID for this payment is: 9D155232JW784921D.
Paid $100.
Attending the September rally.

optimizer
08-21-2013, 05:14 PM
No other group has done as much as ImmigrationVoice for EB based green cards, they continue to put their best efforts.

Just donated $100 for this cause.
Your transaction ID for this payment is: 3PP34342D9346721Y.

Unfortunately, I cannot make it this time.

Thanks

veereddy
08-21-2013, 11:26 PM
I cannot make it this time, thanks IV for all of your efforts.

Transaction ID for this payment is: 3HB27981CY163342H

Go IV

RNGC
08-22-2013, 09:38 AM
I can't make it ....unfortunately...

donated $100
Web Accept Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #05Y29038W5836920N)

n_2006
08-22-2013, 10:09 AM
$100. Your transaction ID for this payment is: 86B06738SK876354P

devndev
08-22-2013, 10:28 AM
I sincerely thank all the members that are travelling to the event.
$100 - Your transaction ID for this payment is: 2RB607087Y5962844

scrooge2011
08-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Keep up the good work IV, cannot thank you for all of the foot work being done at grass roots level.
To all our members who have not joined in, Aman said it very eloquently once, No one is going to come to your rescue, one has to fend for oneself. THIS is THAT moment, when the finish line is within our grasp, but everyone needs to do their part. Even if you cannot attend rallies, advocacy events, you can do quite some bit, Donate to the cause, bring in more friends and relatives under the umbrella, meet lawmakers during the August recess.

We are at the CUSP guys! Cannot make it without everyone throwing their shoulders behind this wagon and push it over the finish line. GO IV!

rksureshkumar
08-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks IV for all your Efforts. Contributed $100

Transaction ID: 9D353479E4816044G

vat69
08-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Your transaction ID for this payment is: 6DY33540U9623743S

Donated $100.00

Go IV

vinod14
09-02-2013, 07:47 PM
I will try my best to attend. In the meantime, please accept my contribution of $200 for the cause.

Paypal Transaction ID: 9HL90226K5134512L.

I could contribute Delta Skymiles 50K and Marriott 20K for those who could use. I have submitted the online form to the IV team in that regard.

Thanks for all the selfless effort by the team!

Best regards,
Vinod

sreenivaskk
09-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Donated $100 towards the Advocacy event.

Transaction Id: 0CT25887N3548282L

mattresscoil
09-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Donated $100 towards Advocacy event

Transaction Id: 12B42670NH398362N

raba
09-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Contributed $100.

Your transaction ID for this payment is: 1KS39602U7243790W.

Thanks.

ikass
09-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Thank you for the advocacy effort. I`ve made my small contribution of $200 to the effort.

8BL01362M7825231A.

sage2006
09-11-2013, 12:46 PM
THANK YOU to all our volunteers who attended. We had an intense Advocacy Event on SEPT 8,9 and 10th. We all rose to the occasion to extend the helping hand to each other and make this event an absolutely great success!! Thank you to all delegates for taking two days off from work and four days away from family to show up in 242 Legislative Meetings. Thank you for volunteering with a smile. Thank you for making an impact in the House of Representatives.

There is still some way to go but with our sustained efforts and raising of OUR voices, we will get there. There is no equivalent to a constituent meeting their lawmaker's office and we saw this impact again and again in every meeting where staffers congratulated us on our coordinated effort and it also showed how recognizable a name IV has become on Capitol Hill.

3-4 years back when I went to meetings, every staffer used to assume high-skilled immigration was only about H1B...but now, thanks to IV members efforts, there is great awareness of GC backlogs and the intricacies of our issues. Senate bill has most of our provisions but this advocacy day and the next few weeks are crucial in House efforts. We need every IV member in all 435 districts to step up and help in the follow-up efforts.
Go to the websites of your senators and House Reps in your and neighboring districts...make a call every week asking for GC backlog reduction and our other provisions to be included in the House bill and that we do not support H.R.2131 in the current form. It takes just 5 mins. Schedule a meeting and meet with your local office and once scheduled contact IV so you can get the materials you need to prepare and take to the offices. Meet with the offices regularly (a quick 20-30 min meeting prior to start of your work day) and develop a relationship with the local staffers. The groups with the most sustained and relentless efforts are going to win this..and we have to make sure we are one of them.

devndev
09-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks Sage for the update, was waiting to hear how the event went since I couldn't make it there.
My sincere thanks to all who attended the event.