PDA

View Full Version : I-140 approved. Job change after H1b extension?

ryaneerz
07-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi all,

I've been following the threads on IV for quite some time now; recently registered and hoping to be active. Thanks in advance for everyone's help/comments/opinions.

My PD is Aug 2010, EB-3. H1-b was extended for 3 years after I-140 approval and will expire in August, 2014. I am pursuing a Masters degree currently and will graduate before Aug 2014.

I am wondering if the following strategy is a good one: Get H1-b extended before Aug 2014 through current company; hopefully I get a 3 year extension (the company I work for is a major multinational, so this should be doable?). After I get the 3 year extension, transfer H1-b to another company who is willing to file my GC in EB2 category - since my extension is for 3 years, I have more than ample time to start the labor, I-140, etc processes.

1. I am assuming that I'll get a 3 year extension because the company is a big entity. Is this an incorrect assumption?
2. Any issues with transferring after the 3 year extension? I am fairly certain that I can retain my PD date without issues.

thanks!

ryaneerz
07-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Bump - please provide your thoughts.

imh1b
07-18-2013, 10:15 AM
You can get extension and change any number of jobs. Just don't do consulting jobs. vendor-client relationships RFE and 221G are common for consulting folks and it is a pain. Porting is a different issue. You have to find a job that is EB2 job. Find a company that will not exploit you and will not do fraud. On the internet you can find more about your company before you join.

ryaneerz
07-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks for confirming. I am just hoping that I get a 3 year extension next year.