PDA

View Full Version : What is a STEM Degree?

teyyare
05-30-2013, 05:53 PM
I really wonder what is the definition of a STEM degree according the new immigration reform.

Here is the list of STEM degrees on Department of Homeland Security web site:

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/stem-list.pdf

Here is the definition of a STEM degree in the bill S. 744, page 315-316:

"a masterís or higher degree in a field of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics included in the Department of Educationís Classification of Instructional Programs taxonomy (http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2002/2002165.pdf) within the summary groups of computer and information sciences and support services, engineering, mathematics and statistics, biological and biomedical sciences, and physical sciences, from a United States institution of higher education"

So, I guess the list "Department of Homeland Security" is not completely covered by the bill, for instance, "Agricultural Animal Breeding" :o is not a STEM degree according the bill.

Is that right?

teyyare
05-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Correction, I check the "Agricultural Animal Breeding" it is under "biological and biomedical sciences", so no problem with that. But there are some other programs like "Instructional Technology" this is a STEM degree on Department of Homeland Security but it is not under "computer and information sciences and support services, engineering, mathematics and statistics, biological and biomedical sciences, or physical sciences in the Department of Education’s Classification of Instructional Programs taxonomy.

kotivella
06-06-2013, 04:44 PM
I called WGU (Western governors univ) to inquire about whether or not MBA(IT) comes under STEM .. but interestingly they haven't heard that word in enrollment dept

Can anyone suggest univ' offering online Masters in IT program , that regionally accredited and qualified on STEM

I did in google but no good answer yet

cu.buff
06-06-2013, 05:01 PM
I called WGU (Western governors univ) to inquire about whether or not MBA(IT) comes under STEM .. but interestingly they haven't heard that word in enrollment dept

Can anyone suggest univ' offering online Masters in IT program , that regionally accredited and qualified on STEM

I did in google but no good answer yet

I know Kellogg MMM program offers a STEM degree with a 29 month OPT, you can check with them.

praskar
06-24-2013, 07:56 PM
At the very least, I would expect a MS in Engineering or science to count. Else it's JUST NOT FAIR!