PDA

View Full Version : Documents for I140 PD retainment

aravindanr
05-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Hello,

I know many questions have been asked about the same scenario of switching employers after I140 approval and retaining the old priority date when applying from the new employer.

What I am not certain is that what documents are needed from the current employer to port the PD?

1. My current employer doesnt give copies of I140. Is this needed to retain the PD?
2. Are there any other documents needed from the current employer for retaining the PD?

Thanks,
Aravin

Flyingcrow
05-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Aravin, As you pointed out, yes, there already so many threads on this same question. So what you can potentially do is use the search feature. Search for keywords i140, FOIA, PD Porting etc.

Here is one of the links from the search results.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum80-visa-bulletin-status-tracker-processing-times/219826-use-foia-for-i-140-and-other-immigration-records.html

Flyingcrow
05-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Dont ask me 'how to search', go figure

aravindanr
05-28-2013, 03:44 PM
I searched but i couldn't find a list of docs needed for retaining PD date.

There are various replies related to it, but none listed the docs. Maybe there are none and a copy of I140 is the only artifact needed. I posted the question to confirm my assumption.

I can use FOIA to get a copy of I140. Are there any documents that are needed?

Flyingcrow
05-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Your question was not clear, between what you already found out and what you still need to know.

Anyway, your 140 receipt or approval copy is the only doc required for PD porting. Other documents experience letter, salary slips, etc would be required as well, but not for this specific purpose. It would also be good, if you can get the PERM application using a similar FOIA to know the exact Job details/Role that was submitted. You can instead request the complete file, when you apply the FOIA to USCIS, it might take longer duration, but they might provide you with copy of the Perm application too.

Some attorney's are even okay with just the receipt number, probably they might apply the FOIA to get further details. If you are lucky you might get the doc in say 45 days. You can as well, raise the request by email, in which case you will cut short the time by 1 week.

aravindanr
05-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks! That was helpful.

I already requested I140 copy by mail and got the control number. I see my request move up every day, I hope I get it on time. Fingers crossed.

When requesting my complete file, I will do it through email to accelerate the process. But I think I will wait for it until I get the I140 copy.

I140 is the most important, so i guess I will delay the process by placing one more request in the queue.