PDA

View Full Version : LIVE: Markup of bill S.744 at Senate Judiciary committee starting 9th May, 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3

Administrator2
05-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Starting 9:30am today, Senate Judiciary committee will undertake the markup of S.744 - Immigration Reform of 2013.

Here is a link to all 1st degree amendments filed -
S.744 Amendments (http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/immigration/amendments.cfm)

Here is the link to watch the mark-up live:
Integrated Senate Video Player (http://www.senate.gov/isvp/?comm=judiciary&type=live&filename=judiciary050913)

Bill markup is a crucial step towards passage of the bill in the Senate. There are many amendments for and against our provisions. So this process will be critical to determine which of our provisions will make into the final bill.

imh1b
05-09-2013, 10:05 AM
H1B quota to be increased by 500%

350K per year as per the bill.

imh1b
05-09-2013, 10:25 AM
How about Country Cap removal & Dependents removal?

will it be effective ASAP or FY15?

For that someone has to spend full 2-3 days to read

S.744 Amendments (http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/immigration/amendments.cfm)

Its lot of technical text.

imh1b
05-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Why is law written in an english that common man cannot understand?

Flyingcrow
05-09-2013, 11:07 AM
SEC. 2306. Still has the effective date as one year from enactment of the act, unless I am misreading it.

Administrator2
05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
SEC. 2306. Still has the effective date as one year from enactment of the act, unless I am misreading it.

Things are moving too quickly, and we do not have the bandwidth to provide summary of each amendment. Please do your on research and provide summary of the amendments you can review.

Hatch #8 amendment has the provision to clarify the effective date as 1st Oct 2014.

imh1b
05-09-2013, 11:48 AM
If they put a simple amendment of jailing and fining any employer caught employing an undocumented immigrant, it will solve most problem. It will be a huge deterrence to every employer. If license can be cancelled, can be jailed and fined........nobody will dare employ an undocumented. They will use E-Verify system before employing anyone.

But they will not do it. Why do you want to punish poor immigrants for illegal acts of employers? Close the loophole of cheap labor attraction and you will save billions of dollars and country, jobs will be secure!

Murthy
05-09-2013, 05:21 PM
For that someone has to spend full 2-3 days to read

Its lot of technical text.
Hatch's Amendment 8 proposes Country cap removal effective FY2014 ie 1st Oct 2013
I believe dependents cap removal and EB2/EB3 quota increase to each 40% is effective on bill enacting day ie ASAP only even in the original bill no amendment is necessary
If Hatch's 8 amendment is accepted pending EB3/EB2 guys are in good shape.

greyhair
05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
this was not debated yesterday.

Does this mean this amendment is dead?:confused:

Can you not read online news to learn what is going on? Why you need spoon feed for everything?

Amendments to the bill will go on for next 1 or 2 weeks. Next markup session is on Tuesday when they will take up more amendments.

jsd123
05-10-2013, 11:46 AM

Because most Law Makers are lawyers. So, mainly for Job Security in their profession :)

LglImi
05-10-2013, 12:44 PM
This is going to be a mess.....

Per The Oh Law Firm (http://www.immigration-law.com/)

"Readers are aware that the House has its own 'Gange of 8' tthat has been working on the House version of CIR 2013, but this group of legislators have been experiencing 'divide' and have yet to come up with compromises. As one can easily understand it, the House version of immigration reform is likely more 'conservative' approach than the Senate version. There is an unconfirmed report that the earliest they could come up with compromise will be not before June 2013. Interestingly, June 2013 is the Senate's timeline to complete its CIR 2013 bill. Since the CIR legislation must pass both the Senate and the House before the Congress goes into 'summer recess' at the end of August, the Congress will have a tight schedule to achieve a bill successfully as it may have to go through the Senate-House conference committee process at the best. Accordingly, unless the House members are kept pressured by the immigration advocates, the chance of passage of this bill in 2013 and for that matter within a next few years will be 50:50 at this point. Remember our reminder: 'Piecemeal' and 'Delay' will be killers of CIR in 2013 and for a next few years. There has been developing an unfortunate division within the IT business community between the Silicon Valley giants and IT staffing/consulting business groups from their assessment that the employment-based immigration reform component of the Senate CIR 2013 bill represents the Silicon Valley giants compromise at the sacrifice of IT staffing and consulting businesses in that the bill is focused on immigration benefits for high-tech talents directly recruited by the Silicon Valley businesses and harsh on foreign workers recruited and supplied by staffing and consulting businesses by imposing enhanced restrictions on their H-1B and L-1 nonimmigrant visa opprtunities. The current Senate bill will thus seriously affect the Indian consulting businesses in the United States. Unless this conflict is resolved, there is a potential fall-out of the friction leading to staffing/consulting groups again joining the piece-meal advocates and opposing comprehensive immigration reform movement. This is something to watch closely for the next two or three months."

imh1b
05-10-2013, 01:11 PM
I thought lawyers are only experts in law. Since when are they experts of politics? Why do people keep posting quotes from lawyers? Are they getting something in return to advertising them?

LglImi
05-10-2013, 01:29 PM
5 year requirement still there...

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/EAS13500toMDM13313redline.pdf

Page 133 of the amended bill so far..

earned the qualifying graduate degree within during the 5 year period immediately prior to before the initial filing date of the petition under which the nonimmigrant is a beneficiary.

gk_2000
05-10-2013, 03:18 PM

Why do you write code in Java etc and not use plain English so it is easy for someone to read

greyhair
05-10-2013, 03:35 PM
5 year requirement still there...

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/EAS13500toMDM13313redline.pdf

Page 133 of the amended bill so far..

earned the qualifying graduate degree within during the 5 year period immediately prior to before the initial filing date of the petition under which the nonimmigrant is a beneficiary.

Really???? Why is it still there? I thought you took care of this one and STEM definition was fixed to include your application. Was it not?

imh1b
05-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Why do you write code in Java etc and not use plain English so it is easy for someone to read

I want to write in plain English. Computer programming will be so easy that even a monkey can do it and create programs for himself. But we are all getting paid for the mistakes of James Gosling.

LglImi
05-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Really???? Why is it still there? I thought you took care of this one and STEM definition was fixed to include your application. Was it not?

Oh yeah, I did...what did you do apart from your pathetic comments....ever contributed or volunteered for IV??

ashshriv
05-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Folks...any further updates on what amendements have been adopted...I have tried to go thru the amended bill/doc many times but am not able to understand if the amendments are faviourable or..detrimental...for EB Visas..

--Attended San Jose rally in 2012 and donate 200+ dollars during rally..will continue to donate.

bond4u
05-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Folks...any further updates on what amendements have been adopted...I have tried to go thru the amended bill/doc many times but am not able to understand if the amendments are faviourable or..detrimental...for EB Visas..

--Attended San Jose rally in 2012 and donate 200+ dollars during rally..will continue to donate.

EB related amendments will come tomorrow's markup session for discussion and vote.

imh1b
05-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Not to sound pessimist but my law firm (very reputed one) states that House will kill this bill.

She says keep your hope alive but br prepared for worst!:mad:

This is really funny. Dude if you really want proper information, get it from the lobbyists or advocacy groups who know this topic by heart.

So is your lawyer a political expert or a law expert? If she is a law expert what kind of law expert is she? Does she fills Perm forms for you or does she write laws?

And can you explain what you mean by 'very reputed one'? If a lawyer charges you $250 for a 15 minute phone call, you think it is reputed? What is your measurement of reputation? I cannot believe you are a member since 2006 and still saying this in your posts. You gotta spend more time on forums and learn more about difference between lawyers, political pundits and advocacy experts.

jetflyer
05-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Not to sound pessimist but my law firm (very reputed one) states that House will kill this bill.

She says keep your hope alive but br prepared for worst!:mad:

Do you know the name of the law firm (very reputed one)? if yes please share the name with us and the source of the news.

pappu
05-13-2013, 03:35 PM
On the public forums and blogs we will only get general updates that is public information gathered from newspapers or on advocacy group website like IV information we can make public. To get more specific updates we invite everyone to get more involved and by working on action items, ... and you can provide updates yourself to the team members in your volunteer group because you will see things from ground zero.

Publicly you will see that some of the anti-immigrant amendments were defeated last week (as you would have seen in the live video feed.) The pathway to citizenship, the central part of reform is still intact and that is good news because our success is tied with what happens with undocumented as they are the big and most important piece of the reform in CIR. Note that this is not a piecemeal high-skill legislation so we should not be just looking at our portions in isolation. In CIR it is everything or nothing. The committee will work for the next two weeks. This week markup is happening on Tuesday, Thursday and maybe Friday.

This is what undocumented did last week: There were vigils in 15 states on the same day outside senate offices. More vigils are planned by undocumented folks on each day the bill is discussed for markup. There was also a heritage foundation report last week that has been used against the bill. There is a lot of advocacy work happening in DC by their groups and a good +ve momentum is in place.

IV has had many calls in the last few weeks, everyday with active volunteer members on action items and updates. If you wish to be more involved, please complete the action item asap at --- http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/3094944-iv-action-item-cir-bill-2013-a.html and if you wish to volunteer send an email to your state coordinator at [your state ID] at immigration voice.org. So for example, AZ state coordinator can be reached at az@immigrationvoice.org. Please provide your full name, address and contact phone number in the email and that you wish to volunteer your time for action items.

waitingnwaiting
05-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Do you know the name of the law firm (very reputed one)? if yes please share the name with us and the source of the news.

Is it this one?
U.S. Attorney: Lawyer from Staten Island admits role in 'massive' immigration fraud scheme | SILive.com (http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/lawyer_from_staten_island_admi.html)

ashshriv
05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Your transaction ID for this payment is: 9HU21276MJ1126138.
Donated to IV. Please continue the good work..and we will support in whatever way we can small/big

ronhira
05-13-2013, 11:24 PM
More than anybody I hope she is wrong!

She goes strictly by books and has not allowed my company to change my title for past 5 years although salary has gone up by 1.6 times!

Per her research and study of provisions of senate bill is too liberal for the likings of GOP who control the house!

lawyers don't like senate bill becoz if this bill passes...... they will no longer be able to give effective business advise to employers.... as to how use immigration laws to exploit immigrant employees .... this is the real reason y u'r lawyer doesn't like senate bill..... & she is blaming GOP for the bill to be too liberal......

be careful @ these lawyers & what they say @ senate bill.... take it with the grain of salt.... secretly these lawyers want senate bill to fail.... but it doesn't matter what immigration lawyers think @ senate bill....

imh1b
05-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Oh yeah, I did...what did you do apart from your pathetic comments....ever contributed or volunteered for IV??

I will take side of Greyhair on this. You are the one who worships lawyers as per your posts and so you do not have grey hairs yet. You lack wisdom, is easy to be manipulated and exploited. Have you gone and met your senator yet? You need to do that first before arguing and you will start to understand slowly what I am saying. If you do not do that you will argue with me too and use bad words like 'pathetic comments'. We are not enemies of each other. The real fight is with something else.

LglImi
05-14-2013, 07:47 AM
I will take side of Greyhair on this. You are the one who worships lawyers as per your posts and so you do not have grey hairs yet. You lack wisdom, is easy to be manipulated and exploited. Have you gone and met your senator yet? You need to do that first before arguing and you will start to understand slowly what I am saying. If you do not do that you will argue with me too and use bad words like 'pathetic comments'. We are not enemies of each other. The real fight is with something else.

You seem as pathetic as greyhair. Yes, I have met Sen Durbin staff in Chicago downtown office. He was not available as he was in DC. Anyways, again, cut the crap and you sound as ridiculous as greyhair....again how have you contributed to IV apart from, I won't hesitate, pathetic comments....

Administrator2
05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Today Senate Judiciary Committee is getting ready to debate and amend Title IV at the mark-up of S.744. Title IV has the provisions that affect skilled immigrants. It is an important day for our issues.

Here is a link to amendments filed -

Integrated Senate Video Player (http://www.senate.gov/isvp/?comm=judiciary&type=live&filename=judiciary050913)

imh1b
05-14-2013, 09:12 AM
You seem as pathetic as greyhair. Yes, I have met Sen Durbin staff in Chicago downtown office. He was not available as he was in DC. Anyways, again, cut the crap and you sound as ridiculous as greyhair....again how have you contributed to IV apart from, I won't hesitate, pathetic comments....

Did you take training from IV and did you go on behalf of IV? Because if you had taken training you will not be fighting like this. I am here since a long time and contributed in several ways including meeting many times. IV needs to train people better I think so that they understand the real problem and not fight with each other.

imh1b
05-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Today Senate Judiciary Committee is getting ready to debate and amend Title IV at the mark-up of S.744. Title IV has the provisions that affect skilled immigrants. It is an important day for our issues.

Here is a link to amendments filed -

Is there any other site where I can watch it?
Flash is dead and still some sites use it.

dhakaldoo
05-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Is there any other site where I can watch it?
Flash is dead and still some sites use it.

Try going directly to senate site

View a Hearing or Meeting (http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/hearing.cfm?id=0f3eeb468d37b2f466044eb203322959)

Administrator2
05-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Judiciary committee left for lunch. After lunch there is a vote scheduled on the Senate floor for another issue. So they will be back at the bill mark-up at 2:45pm.

First amendment after they come back is Grassley #67 - which requires annual audit on 1% of all the companies that filed for H-1B.

Vagabond
05-14-2013, 01:25 PM
How about country cap removal?

I think they are just discussing non-immigrant related amendments today..

i wonder why Lee-3 amendment was withdrawn? It had provision on giving EAD to H4 visa holders.. can anyone comment who saw it live?

waitingnwaiting
05-14-2013, 01:47 PM
I think they are just discussing non-immigrant related amendments today..

i wonder why Lee-3 amendment was withdrawn? It had provision on giving EAD to H4 visa holders.. can anyone comment who saw it live?

When we are all getting greencards due to other good amendments, there is no need for EAD for H4. Most people will fall in this category.

If H4s do not want greencards, which might be a small percentage, they can get H1 easily now. The H1 quota will be significantly increased.

Vagabond
05-14-2013, 02:04 PM
When we are all getting greencards due to other good amendments, there is no need for EAD for H4. Most people will fall in this category.

If H4s do not want greencards, which might be a small percentage, they can get H1 easily now. The H1 quota will be significantly increased.

is that your view or view of the senators? :)

for the people who just started the process, GC is still few years away and having EAD on H4 would definitely help them..

waitingnwaiting
05-14-2013, 02:23 PM
is that your view or view of the senators? :)

for the people who just started the process, GC is still few years away and having EAD on H4 would definitely help them..

If H1 quota is significantly increased, H4s can get that? I do not understand why H4s do not want H1 visa like all of us?

Vagabond
05-14-2013, 02:33 PM
If H1 quota is significantly increased, H4s can get that? I do not understand why H4s do not want H1 visa like all of us?

Try getting H1 visa in April so that you can join a company in Oct. also getting H1 is going to be even more difficult now..

waitingnwaiting
05-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Not sure what your ill conceived views are for H4 & GC aspirants, but A) Not everybody is getting GC immediately or soon. It will be a while until this CIR sees light of the day and not amendments are guaranteed. B) Not everybody on H1/H4 has applied or been approved or even started GC process and C) H4 would either way benefit from EAD irrespective and independent of spousal GC process.

So it would be foolish to assume your views on immediate GC approvals and no EAD for H4.

If H4s are given EAD without any protection to American workers there is a risk to US workforce. America is basically getting 2-3 workers for the price of 1. Imagine how much damage it will do to wages in US. Even you yourself will not like it if you do not get pay raise or get laid off because other cheap workers are available. Even right now once a worker hits 40 or 50 he starts getting turned down in jobs because there is a cheap young immigrant available to replace. Let us not just think about ourselves but about the entire country. In H1 and greencard there is DOL process and priority is given to hire an American worker. What you are asking is to bypass this and give blanket work permit to every dependent without checking with the American market, complying with DOL wage laws and audits for the job type. It will hurt immigrants more. They will become victims of bad employers too.

bpratap
05-14-2013, 02:58 PM
I was tuning in on and off. didn't get to hear much of High Skilled category if they have discussed.

Any thing relevant to High Skilled Immigration and effective date came up so far ?

Flyingcrow
05-14-2013, 03:07 PM
I was tuning in on and off. didn't get to hear much of High Skilled category if they have discussed.

Any thing relevant to High Skilled Immigration and effective date came up so far ?

Nope, its all just about H1b so far.

Flyingcrow
05-14-2013, 03:17 PM
More STEM -> More H1bs ? They are mixing it all up. As I can understand, more H1bs would mean, more off-shoring companies.

waitingnwaiting
05-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Based on the flawed logic, then you must also imply...

H4 are worthless to economy since they are not competent to enter workforce on their own. They will depress everybody's wages as well. And do L2's fall in that category also per your opinion ? Also by taking your flawed logic forward, they should stop giving RPI to illegals.

Try explaning above to your spouse he/she is on H4. It's amazing how everybody else just thinks opposite or contrary of your views including CIR and USCIS.

You can still contribute to the country by volunteering to various non profits and local communities. It will earn you stripes when you lobby for your cause and give TV interviews. But none has been done by H4s.

Every H1 and employment green card holder came on his merit to US workforce. He went through the complex DOL process and USCIS process that checked various things. Employers petitioned a need and we were given the job when employer made a good faith effort to find an American first.

All L visas are flawed. People only talk about that L1a is fraud because of their selfish narrow minded thinking. Everyone getting greencard is fraud to them if he gets it before them. All L1 visas are unlimited in number unlike H1B. L1 visa has no strict checks to hire American first and no salary requirements. This is why many L1s are exploited. Do you want to be like them? L2 dependent work permit is also flawed. It should never have been there in law, but during Y2k days tech companies got whatever they wanted and nobody thought the will be so much fraud and abuse from loose provisions and loopholes.

You are comparing yourself to undocumented and your logic is that since they are getting it free you should get it free. Try going and telling that to any Senator. The moment you say the word illegal many will go ahead and block whatever you want. Do not be so arrogant and ignore people who are undocumented. Their problem is very different. And they have worked very hard for it. How many rallies have h4s done till now? They could have easily gone to streets of their towns every month and done rallies like undocumented.

waitingnwaiting
05-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Anti H1B amendments are being defeated thick and fast. Good for foreign consulting companies.

It is sad for America. Corporate greed and power of corporate lobbying is showing more power over what is right thing to do. The post looks anti-immigrant to some if you only see the surface, but if you think more and see good proposals for healthcare bill were defeated due to lobbying by insurance companies. Gun control laws are not winning support because of the lobbying groups that are more powerful. It is not good. We should see laws that are in the interest of common people of the nation including immigrants. Anyone can google search and see how much people write about abuse and fraud by so called foreign companies and still nobody is stopping them immediately. Why?

antri
05-14-2013, 04:15 PM
If H4s are given EAD without any protection to American workers there is a risk to US workforce. America is basically getting 2-3 workers for the price of 1. Imagine how much damage it will do to wages in US. Even you yourself will not like it if you do not get pay raise or get laid off because other cheap workers are available. Even right now once a worker hits 40 or 50 he starts getting turned down in jobs because there is a cheap young immigrant available to replace. Let us not just think about ourselves but about the entire country. In H1 and greencard there is DOL process and priority is given to hire an American worker. What you are asking is to bypass this and give blanket work permit to every dependent without checking with the American market, complying with DOL wage laws and audits for the job type. It will hurt immigrants more. They will become victims of bad employers too.

In a free economy competition will take care of wages. Just think how much money those H1 families will be spending just to survive. They will eventually plan for a kid (growth in day care business), larger apartments/ homes, cars, phone bills. People always tend to upgrade themselves.

If you don't support H4s getting EADs then you shouldn't support EAD for L2 visa holders. You cannot discriminate people just like that.

If the wages gets lowered, it may be better because there will be less jobs offshored which means more jobs here in US. If you think, you will get paid less, don't worry, just work hard and get yourself promoted to make even more. Competition is always better even if you don't like it.

waitingnwaiting
05-14-2013, 04:28 PM
In a free economy competition will take care of wages. Just think how much money those H1 families will be spending just to survive. They will eventually plan for a kid (growth in day care business), larger apartments/ homes, cars, phone bills. People always tend to upgrade themselves.

If you don't support H4s getting EADs then you shouldn't support EAD for L2 visa holders. You cannot discriminate people just like that.

If the wages gets lowered, it may be better because there will be less jobs offshored which means more jobs here in US. If you think, you will get paid less, don't worry, just work hard and get yourself promoted to make even more. Competition is always better even if you don't like it.

How about giving invitation for unlimited H1b and EAD to everyone in developing countries around the world to come and work. That would be very noble.

It may lower the wages, but hey all jobs will be in America because wages will be at par with what people get in other countries. That will be real competition. Everyone will have to work harder and harder or else their job will be given to someone willing to do it for a dollar a day right here in America. Will that not be good?

Come on. Start thinking like a person who lives in this country and cares for its well being. Stop thinking about just an EAD. Corporates have selfish greed, immigrants have selfish greed and people who gets greencard have selfish motives of closing the door behind them for others. I hope what is good for the country gets done ultimately. I want to continue to see America the best country in the world for generations to come. It does not matter if we get greencard or not, the country has given so much to us and we all love it. That is why we want to stay here and are patient about it. We have not gone back after waiting for more than 5 years. That says something about the greatness of the nation of which we want to be citizens.

antri
05-14-2013, 05:07 PM
How about giving invitation for unlimited H1b and EAD to everyone in developing countries around the world to come and work. That would be very noble.

It may lower the wages, but hey all jobs will be in America because wages will be at par with what people get in other countries. That will be real competition. Everyone will have to work harder and harder or else their job will be given to someone willing to do it for a dollar a day right here in America. Will that not be good?

Come on. Start thinking like a person who lives in this country and cares for its well being. Stop thinking about just an EAD. Corporates have selfish greed, immigrants have selfish greed and people who gets greencard have selfish motives of closing the door behind them for others. I hope what is good for the country gets done ultimately. I want to continue to see America the best country in the world for generations to come. It does not matter if we get greencard or not, the country has given so much to us and we all love it. That is why we want to stay here and are patient about it. We have not gone back after waiting for more than 5 years. That says something about the greatness of the nation of which we want to be citizens.

How about calling them on L1s and EADs? Is there a limit on L1s? No, there is no limit!

Can you come as a shop keeper on L1? oh yes, It's just a transfer visa.

Can you come as a shop keeper on H1? No

I've many qualified friends who came here and left for good. Many of them did not want to come here. Why do you think if we drive down the wages people will be interested to come here?

my point here is, even if you raise the limit of H1s (with some restrictions), there will be less people than L1s.

Don't just close the door behind you like a selfish person.

kumar700
05-14-2013, 05:08 PM
You are mixing the apples and oranges in the discussion. Of course we love this country that is why we are still pursing green card.
The conversation here is whether H1B dependent needs EAD or not. it is definitely fair to give dependents an EAD. Please note that H1B has many limitations, you got to be on job all the time, if need to take break couple of months to take care of kids or kid’s education etc.., then you lose H1B status, job and many..
With EAD they can do part-time job along with taking care of kids etc.. this type of minimum privilege H1B dependent is lacking in current law. This is a very fair proposal.

antri
05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Yeah I can be a shopkeeper & investor on H1B in a business and invest 500k in TEA and employ 10 legal US residents. So to answer our question, yes we can do that while on H1 and self petition for EAD and GC.

Nobody is going to believe your hogwash and whining about L1, H1B & H4 EAD. Again why dont you do some rallies and promote your propoganda ? How many you have done so far ?

Great, looks like being a shop keeper H1 I'll have to invest money and create jobs. Looks like we can achieve our goal of creating some jobs.

I am trying to point out the discrimination of H4 here. How many rally you have done so far to stop others from working? Its just insane.

antri
05-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Great, looks like being a shop keeper H1 I'll have to invest money and create jobs. Looks like we can achieve our goal of creating some jobs.

I am trying to point out the discrimination of H4 here. How many rally you have done so far to stop others from working? Its just insane.

I am sorry for my above comment. I did not realize it was not for me!

ashshriv
05-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Hi IV team...I wanted to know if we are partnering with some other pro immigration group..(or already have such alliance).. to further our casue and gather more support..

imh1b
05-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi IV team...I wanted to know if we are partnering with some other pro immigration group..(or already have such alliance).. to further our casue and gather more support..

Don't know much but have seen at least 2 big groups which IV associates with. Compete America is the biggest advocacy group of the country and IV is on its board. It has all top American tech companies. The other one I have seen long time ago on a post was big Jewish group IV is friends with. That was assuring for me when I came to know. Maybe there are more too. Since IV is invited to testify in Congress it means they must be doing good meetings with Congress members.

Murthy
05-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Things are moving too quickly, and we do not have the bandwidth to provide summary of each amendment. Please do your on research and provide summary of the amendments you can review.

Hatch #8 amendment has the provision to clarify the effective date as 1st Oct 2014.
Dear Admin 2
I think Hatch # 8 amendment provision clearly says effective date as 1st October 2013 not 2014
CHAPTER 3—EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANT VISAS
SEC. 4131. ELIMINATION OF PER-COUNTRY NUMERICAL LIMITATIONS.
EFFECTIVE DATE—The amendments made by this section shall take effect on October 1, 2013, and shall apply to fiscal years beginning with fiscal year 2014.

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/immigration/amendments/Hatch/Hatch8-%28MDM13489%29.pdf

Correct me if I am wrong.

bond4u
05-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Dear Admin 2
I think Hatch # 8 amendment provision clearly says effective date as 1st October 2013 not 2014
EFFECTIVE DATE—The amendments made by this section shall take effect on October 1, 2013, and shall apply to fiscal years beginning with fiscal year 2014.

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/immigration/amendments/Hatch/Hatch8-%28MDM13489%29.pdf

This Amendment not came up for discussion or vote yet. This Amendment was a separate pro employment immigration bill introduced by Senator Hatch on January 29,2013 as "I-d Act of 2013" and has good chance to pass this committee at least because some Democrats and Republican in that committee were also co Sponsors of that bill.
It does remove numerical limitation in 2013 and provide Authorization for H4 spouses. Keep your finger crossed and stay positive.

Administrator2
05-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Dear Admin 2

We did share this information earlier. Probably you may have missed it:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/3095095-live-markup-of-bill-s-744-at-senate-judiciary-committee-starting-9th-may-2013-a.html#post3572210

Senator Hatch and Schumer are working on a compromise amendment which can be supported by both sides.

The thing with Hatch #8 is - it has many other things that other Senate offices could find difficult to support. There seems to be a broad consensus on some of our provisions, including fixing effective date for per-country. So we are working through the process to make sure that final package has our provisions. But we need everyone's support for this. As you would expect with a bill of this size, there is a lot of activity and undercurrent that is not visible at the mark-up proceedings. We need everyone to step-up and do your share.

Mau
05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
We will be at senator schemers office in New York asking to support HATCH 8 -- HATCHET:) so to say.

We are planning to do it on the weekend of memorial day.

We will keep calling.

Thanks.

deepakd
05-15-2013, 02:43 PM
If you look at the bigger picture, because of globalization there is a wage equalization going on.
If American workers can't work for a competitive wage, those jobs would be shipped out..
Just look at the job scenario for the last 30 years in USA and things would become clear to anyone with an iota of common sense.
If Americans can't compete then look at EU. No company wants to open up a shop in EU for obvious reasons.

bond4u
05-15-2013, 02:50 PM
This Amendment not came up for discussion or vote yet. This Amendment was a separate pro employment immigration bill introduced by Senator Hatch on January 29,2013 as "I-d Act of 2013" and has good chance to pass this committee at least because some Democrats and Republican in that committee were also co Sponsors of that bill.
It does remove numerical limitation in 2013 and provide Authorization for H4 spouses. Keep your finger crossed and stay positive.

I would like to correct my previous comment Hatch 8 doesn't have H4 amendment but Hatch 14 has.

"Hatch14 – An amendment to encourage other countries to provide reciprocal treatment to the spouses of United States workers stationed in those countries by authorizing the Secretary of Homeland Security to suspend employment authorization for spouses of H–1B nonimmigrants coming from countries that do not permit the employment of similar situated spouses in their countries."

Currently, the bill allows spouses of H-1B workers to be employed, but only if they come from countries that provide reciprocal treatment to spouses of Americans working with analogous visas in that country. This would deny an important benefit to nationals from many countries that are crucial sources of STEM and other talent. This could limit the competitiveness of U.S. employers in the market for global talent.

The amendment encourages other countries to provide reciprocal treatment to U.S. workers stationed abroad. This revision would give the State Department significant leverage in encouraging such arrangements through the diplomatic process.

kingster
05-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Thanks, Admin 2! I'm new here, but have been eating up markup news and watching it live. Does Hatch 8 remove the 5-year recency as well as remove the job requirement to get a green card via STEM Master's? It looks that way to me, as I delved into all the sections, but am not 100%.

And to the person asking about Lee 3, I saw it live - he withdrew it in the interests of time, since they were substitute/replacement bills that would take too long to consider. Maybe he thought his issues were already dealt with by other amendments.

Hatch 8 is key. And Cruz 4's online portal would be nice as well.

For stapling green cards to advanced STEM US degree holders, they need to make it more attractive/easy otherwise for some of us overstaying and going into RPI status will sound wise since RPI allows one to travel freely and work for any employer - the two biggest benefits of a green card!

These commonsense steps would help:

(1) remove the 5-year recency requirement for US Master's degree holders (otherwise we can't lure back the tens of thousands that other countries have hired),

(2) remove any job offer requirement to get that green card (since to bring back grads that have left the US you want to make it easier, and having to get a job in the US when you're outside the US is harder),

(3) allow these well-educated immigrants to work in any STEM/non-STEM field even if unrelated to their degree (physics/math PhDs are often found in complex finance),

(4) given the unworkability of the previous system, ignore any visa overstays by advanced STEM grads, and

(5) have an online portal to submit, track and approve green card petitions quickly without the need for lawyers (unless it's a complex case) so that USCIS doesn't get swamped for a few years in mountains of paper and delays. If someone has a verifiable advanced STEM degree from a US university - then make it simple and automatic.

kingster
05-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Immigration group in the House facing make-or-break moment - The Hill - covering Congress, Politics, Political Campaigns and Capitol Hill | TheHill.com (http://thehill.com/homenews/house/299997-house-immigration-group-faces-make-or-break-moment)
I read that earlier today - we'll have to see if the House gang agrees to a bill. If not, whatever bill the Republicans put forth as a "near-compromise" will probably get on the floor and get debated and voted on. Then maybe the Senate and the House bills can be reconciled in 'conference' and then be voted on in both chambers before going to Obama later this year. Harry Reid wants to get a vote on the Senate bill by July 4th. If nothing happens in the House, it will be up to John Boehner to see if he can corral a majority of House Republicans behind the Senate version based on 'Hastert Rule' - if not, I don't see him letting it die in the House. Too much pressure. He may have to bring it to a vote in the House, and then see it pass with most Democrats and moderate Republicans.

LglImi
05-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Thanks, Admin 2! I'm new here, but have been eating up markup news and watching it live. Does Hatch 8 remove the 5-year recency as well as remove the job requirement to get a green card via STEM Master's? It looks that way to me, as I delved into all the sections, but am not 100%.

And to the person asking about Lee 3, I saw it live - he withdrew it in the interests of time, since they were substitute/replacement bills that would take too long to consider. Maybe he thought his issues were already dealt with by other amendments.

Hatch 8 is key. And Cruz 4's online portal would be nice as well.

For stapling green cards to advanced STEM US degree holders, they need to make it more attractive/easy otherwise for some of us overstaying and going into RPI status will sound wise since RPI allows one to travel freely and work for any employer - the two biggest benefits of a green card!

These commonsense steps would help:

(1) remove the 5-year recency requirement for US Master's degree holders (otherwise we can't lure back the tens of thousands that other countries have hired),

(2) remove any job offer requirement to get that green card (since to bring back grads that have left the US you want to make it easier, and having to get a job in the US when you're outside the US is harder),

(3) allow these well-educated immigrants to work in any STEM/non-STEM field even if unrelated to their degree (physics/math PhDs are often found in complex finance),

(4) given the unworkability of the previous system, ignore any visa overstays by advanced STEM grads, and

(5) have an online portal to submit, track and approve green card petitions quickly without the need for lawyers (unless it's a complex case) so that USCIS doesn't get swamped for a few years in mountains of paper and delays. If someone has a verifiable advanced STEM degree from a US university - then make it simple and automatic.

Nice list. Please support IV through action items/volunteer to have this done. Also contact your congressman to file these amendments. Be concise and to the point in communication to the congressman about what you want and why...

My personal feeling is Hatch 8 has minimal chances....too long of an amendment......

kingster
05-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Both Schumer and Hatch just said that they would like to deal with these amendments (the Hatch ones and Klobuchar 6) early next week. Their people are negotiating. Oh well. More delay. Hatch said these are important to the hi-tech world.

kingster
05-16-2013, 11:28 AM
True, Hatch 8 is too long - bundles in too many things, but if the centerpiece of the amendment was likely to pass, the STEM degree elements would have passed more easily than as a standalone. Now it's been imperiled by the controversy over H1B issues.

Was reading the sponsors' amendment (http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/Sponsors1-(MDM13313).pdf). Look at Pg 315. It looks like if you have a PhD from outside the US, it helps you more than if you have a PhD within the US - if you fall into the latter category, your PhD must be in STEM, you have to have a job offer in that STEM field AND your PhD must have been within the last 5 years! Makes no sense.

They must do away with at least the 5 year thing, and removal of job offer and type of job should also help.

shortduck
05-16-2013, 02:04 PM
http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/immigration/amendments/Hatch/Hatch8-(MDM13489).pdf

Page 10, Line# 23

shortduck
05-16-2013, 02:06 PM
This is for the effective date of 2014.

deepakd
05-16-2013, 03:03 PM
This is for the effective date of 2014.

The effective date is Oct-1-2013 which is start of FY-2014.

looivy
05-16-2013, 03:07 PM
The effective date is Oct-1-2013 which is start of FY-2014.

Don't count the chickens.....

Keep working in IV AIs. If we have come this far, it is because of IV.

kingster
05-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Will be interesting to see how this Hatch-Durbin battle plays out.

Hatch: Tech-backed H-1B visa measures key to his support on immigration - The Hill's Hillicon Valley (http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/300295-hatch-defends-tech-backed-visa-amendments-against-criticism)

netbacker
05-17-2013, 02:03 AM
My transaction ID for this payment is: Transaction ID: 87F65057EP9356518

looivy
05-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Canada trying to lure Silicon Valley tech workers - San Jose Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_23266862/canada-trying-lure-silicon-valley-tech-workers)

GCTorture
05-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Larger Union That Enforces Immigration Opposes Bill

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/us/politics/larger-union-enforcing-immigration-opposes-overhaul.html?hp

Wishing good luck to all of us.

pappu
05-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Any Significant Development Today?

Title 3 and once done, title 2 amendments are in the agenda today.

looivy
05-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Title 3 and once done, title 2 amendments are in the agenda today.

How are we trending on our proposals so far? Anything that we pushed forward that did not get accepted or something that is against us got accepted. Thanks IV for the hardwork.

pappu
05-20-2013, 03:03 PM
An example of what other advocacy groups are doing. Their hard work should inspire us too. Please look at your email inboxes. IV had sent some recent newsletters with an update and action item. Please contribute asap if you have not. We need it for our ongoing efforts to be successful.

-------
Immigration Policy Center releases state-by-state fact sheets with accompanying infographics, which highlight the demographic and economic impact of New Americans, Asians and Latinos in each state. Examples:

Alaska: New Americans in Alaska | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-alaska)
Indiana: New Americans in Indiana | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-indiana)
Georgia: New Americans in Georgia | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-georgia)
Maine: New Americans in Maine | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-maine)
Missouri: New Americans in Missouri | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-missouri)
Nevada: New Americans in Nevada | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-nevada)
North Dakota: New Americans in North Dakota | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-north-dakota)
Ohio: New Americans in Ohio | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-ohio)
Virginia: New Americans in Virginia | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-virginia)
West Virginia: New Americans in West Virginia | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-west-virginia)
Alabama: New Americans in Alabama | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-alabama)
Arizona: New Americans in Arizona | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-arizona)
California: New Americans in California | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-california)
Connecticut: New Americans in Connecticut | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-connecticut)
Delaware: New Americans in Delaware | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-delaware)
Florida: New Americans in Florida | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-florida)
Hawaii: New Americans in Hawaii | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-hawaii)
Illinois: New Americans in Illinois | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-illinois)
Iowa: New Americans in Iowa | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-iowa)
Kansas: New Americans in Kansas | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-kansas)
Kentucky: New Americans in Kentucky | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-kentucky)
Minnesota: New Americans in Minnesota | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-minnesota)
New York: New Americans in New York | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-new-york)
North Carolina: New Americans in North Carolina | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-north-carolina)
Rhode Island: New Americans in Rhode Island | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-rhode-island)
South Carolina: New Americans in South Carolina | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-south-carolina)
Tennessee: New Americans in Tennessee | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-tennessee)
Texas: New Americans in Texas | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-texas)
Utah: New Americans in Utah | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-utah)
Vermont: New Americans in Vermont | Immigration Policy Center (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/new-americans-vermont)

kingster
05-20-2013, 07:24 PM
No deal yet. Maybe tomorrow:
Sen. Hatch: No deal yet on tech-backed H-1B visa amendments - The Hill's Hillicon Valley (http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/300853-sen-hatch-no-deal-reached-with-schumer-yet-on-h-1b-amendments)

LglImi
05-20-2013, 09:21 PM
No deal yet. Maybe tomorrow:
Sen. Hatch: No deal yet on tech-backed H-1B visa amendments - The Hill's Hillicon Valley (http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/300853-sen-hatch-no-deal-reached-with-schumer-yet-on-h-1b-amendments)

Sen Hatch seems only concerned about H1B levels.

The top item when an amendment list was compiled on IV forums few weeks back here was elimination of 5 yr limit on STEM, but that seems to be out of agenda....

kingster
05-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Appears that we will know tomorrow: "By late Monday night, Senate aides said, Mr. Hatch was closing in on a deal with the bipartisan group, and was expected to offer his high-tech amendments on Tuesday."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/us/politics/senator-hatch-emerges-as-key-player-on-immigration-reform.html?pagewanted=all

All eyes on Hatch 8 tomorrow. That would eliminate the 5-yr limit on STEM I believe. Hoping that any changes ('second degree' amendments) to it are minor. Also look out for Cruz 4, but am not optimistic on that one.

Even if Hatch is not successful, the House will pull the final bill more to the right, which means more generous terms for high tech. So tomorrow is not the end.

I've lobbied Senators Schumer and Hatch already.

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Sen Schumer and Hatch reached a deal with the Hatch amendment. We also have Early filing of Adjustment of status when the visa number is not available in the amendment. Plus, new portability of the labor certification and carrying the dates etc.

The mark-up just started, and Hatch-Schumer amendment will come up for vote later today.

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 11:09 AM
What about effective date for country cap removal?

As you can tell, per-country has been and will always be the priority for IV. We have not yet received the confirmation for clarify with the dates for the removal for the country cap, but perhaps its worth sharing that it we will make sure that the language provides clarity before the bill passes the Senate. Of'course, we will need all the help from everyone.

bpratap
05-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Hope, effective date of October 2013 is also part of the amendment :)

Sen Schumer and Hatch reached a deal with the Hatch amendment. We also have Early filing of Adjustment of status when the visa number is not available in the amendment. Plus, new portability of the labor certification and carrying the dates etc.

The mark-up just started, and Hatch-Schumer amendment will come up for vote later today.

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 11:25 AM
thanks

is not that part of Hatch Amendment # 8?

Amendment 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 20 will be replaced by a second degree amendment which is the compromise between Hatch and Schumer

LglImi
05-21-2013, 12:04 PM

Big Thanks Admin2!!

Will removal of 5yr STEM degree limitation part of this compromise?

dkshitij
05-21-2013, 12:17 PM
IV news confirmed by NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/05/21/technology/21reuters-usa-immigration-tech.html?src=busln

WASHINGTON — Senators reached a tentative deal with tech companies to ease restrictions on hiring foreigners for high-skilled jobs in the Senate's sweeping immigration bill, sources familiar with the talks said on Tuesday.

LglImi
05-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Amendment 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 20 will be replaced by a second degree amendment which is the compromise between Hatch and Schumer

From all I get - looking at all these amendments, Hatch 8 is dead and will be withdrawn. Removal of 5yr STEM limitation is dead as well...

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Congressman Issa plans to introduce the bill in the House on Thursday. This bill is mostly skilled immigration bill. It has the following fixes -

HR3012
Last year's STEM bill
Increaing EB-2/3 GCs from 40040 to 55040/year
H1B provisions
Immigrant Visas for Entrepreneurs
Employment Creation Immigrant Visas
Repeals the siblings of U.S. citizens and adds 25,000 additional green cards to existing 87,934 green cards a year for the spouses and minor children of permanent residents
Adds physicians to STEM, other provisions for physicians
Permanent Priority Dates for EB applicants even upon change of job
STEM education funding, prevailing wages etc

ashshriv
05-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Does this mean that house bill will be mainly for legal immigrants and in it's form would be beneficial for EB categories (as it includes provision of HR3012)..:confused:

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 03:16 PM
HR 3012 does not remove country Cap ASAP!

it does it in graual manner.

Anytime the bill is introduced, that is the starting point of the discussion. Which is why we ask everyone to be more engaged so we could petition/request/advocate amending/making changes to the bill.

Yes, HR-3012 had phased in approach because it did not add green card numbers. Any bill that adds green card numbers should not require phased in approach. But we need to work to make it happen.

Flyingcrow
05-21-2013, 03:18 PM
HR 3012 does not remove country Cap ASAP!

it does it in graual manner.

Yup, HR 3012 or 633 means, another 3-4 yrs of waiting time at the minimum, and Visa Number recapture, and exclusion of Dependents from count, are not in. The House version looks less helpful.

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Yup, HR 3012 or 633 means, another 3-4 yrs of waiting time at the minimum, and Visa Number recapture, and exclusion of Dependents from count, are not in. The House version looks less helpful.

Guys, this is not House comprehensive bill. This is called - SKILLS Visa Act bill.

keyurpatel80
05-21-2013, 03:24 PM

correct. it is less effective than senate version of bill.

We should reach out to them to include additional provisions like removing dependents and EB1 qualifiers. as well as applying all the counts at worldwide level immediately.

dkshitij
05-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Sen. Hatch's amendment is on going now. Second degreed 10 thru' 20 w/ Schumer.

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Senate Judiciary committee is now discussing Hatch amendment.

dkshitij
05-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Sen Hatch as amended.

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/immigration/amendments/Hatch/Hatch-Schumer2nd-%28MDM13698%29.pdf

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Hatch amendment Passes 16-2

keyurpatel80
05-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Hatch amendment Passes 16-2

Can you tell what includes in this amendment ?
It is difficult to read the bill language.

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Can you tell what includes in this amendment ?
It is difficult to read the bill language.

On the green card side, here are the positive changes in the Hatch-Schumer amendment -

1.) Allow filing Adjustment of status when the visa number is not available per the visa bulletin meaning EB applicants can file I-485 concurrently with I-140, as soon as the labor certification is approved. 6 months after filing I-485, EB applicants can change jobs/employers.

2.) If you change the job on AC21, your petitioning employer cannot withdraw immigrant petition. People have to go through all sorts of head-ache and risk changing jobs on AC21 due to the fear of backlash of the employer.

These two changes are designed to allow people to change jobs/employers quickly.

Because employers cannot have more than 15% employees on H-1, employers will have an incentive to apply for green cards quickly, meaning getting labor certifications quickly, meaning having the ability to change jobs/employers quickly, without risking green card petition.

Hope this makes sense.

bpratap
05-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Awesome News !

Anything on the effective date yet ?

On the green card side, here are the positive changes in the Hatch-Schumer amendment -

1.) Allow filing Adjustment of status when the visa number is not available per the visa bulletin meaning EB applicants can file I-485 concurrently with I-140, as soon as the labor certification is approved. 6 months after filing I-485, EB applicants can change jobs/employers.

2.) If you change the job on AC21, your petitioning employer cannot withdraw immigrant petition. People have to go through all sorts of head-ache and risk changing jobs on AC21 due to the fear of backlash of the employer.

These two changes are designed to allow people to change jobs/employers quickly.

Because employers cannot have more than 15% employees on H-1, employers will have an incentive to apply for green cards quickly, meaning getting labor certifications quickly, meaning having the ability to change jobs/employers quickly, without risking green card petition.

Hope this makes sense.

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Awesome News !

Anything on the effective date yet ?

Hang-in there with the effective date, we are working on it and we are confident that it will be fixed before it passes the Senate. It may have to be on the Senate floor so hang-in there.

apshodh
05-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Thank you IV for all the hard work.

btw.. what about removal of country cap and not counting dependents in the cap... is it there or not yet ??

Mau
05-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Why you need effective date if the amendment is not time sensitive .?

It simply hits the ball out of the park and changes the INA once in for all . No more wait for VB . Having EAD and AP right after PERM.

We want to make sure thought its not only for the past I-140 that are already filled.

It should be for all future I-140 as well.

Thanks.

mrdeeds
05-21-2013, 04:12 PM
First, Thank you IV for all you do!

As I read this amendment, I see that the reciprocity clause for H4 has been removed with a caveat added that it can be suspended upon request of the Secretary of State.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. So to all those wondering about that, that's another feather in IVs cap.

Vagabond
05-21-2013, 04:19 PM

As I read this amendment, I see that the reciprocity clause for H4 has been removed with a caveat added that it can be suspended upon request of the Secretary of State.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. So to all those wondering about that, that's another feather in IVs cap.

Where did you read that? I don't find that in the second degree amendment document posted on judiciary website..

mrdeeds
05-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Where did you read that? I don't find that in the second degree amendment document posted on judiciary website..

Page 5 lines 3 - 15 on http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/immigration/amendments/Hatch/Hatch-Schumer2nd-(MDM13698).pdf

bpratap
05-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Thank you Aman,

that's reassuring :)

Hang-in there with the effective date, we are working on it and we are confident that it will be fixed before it passes the Senate. It may have to be on the Senate floor so hang-in there.

manchala
05-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Please support here..

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/3094944-iv-action-item-cir-bill-2013-a-5.html

manchala
05-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Please support here..

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/3094944-iv-action-item-cir-bill-2013-a-5.html

Please support here (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/3094944-iv-action-item-cir-bill-2013-a-5.html)

ashshriv
05-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks.. to the IV team..

I know there's long way to go..and we are still working ...but whatever we have achieved is no mean feat..so aplause..

makusa70
05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Meaning we can apply EAD/AP also correct?

Ms.Chitta
05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Why you need effective date if the amendment is not time sensitive .?

It simply hits the ball out of the park and changes the INA once in for all . No more wait for VB . Having EAD and AP right after PERM.

We want to make sure thought its not only for the past I-140 that are already filled.

It should be for all future I-140 as well.

Thanks.

Does concurrent filing of I-140 and I-485 means, after 6 monts both primary H1B applicant and dependent get EAD ?

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 04:47 PM

We did share this change sometime back regarding giving the authority to DHS Secretary to determine for countries that do not offer reciprocity. This was expected change and agreed by all sides 2 weeks back. We did earlier announce this change happening.

dhirajs98
05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
I remember some discussions around reducing the wait time to citizenship for candidates waiting in line for more than 10 Yrs. Do we have this included in any proposed amendments?

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Meaning we can apply EAD/AP also correct?

Yes. Allowing applicants to be able to file EAD & AP quickly is the whole purpose of Early filing. When you file I-485, you apply for EAD and AP concurrently.

Administrator2
05-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Does concurrent filing of I-140 and I-485 means, after 6 monts both primary H1B applicant and dependent get EAD ?

Yes

dkshitij
05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Hatch amendment is not a done deal yet. Sen. Leahy had allowed Sen. Grassley to offer a Second degree to the amendment that has already passed. IV and others hold your horses.

Mau
05-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Why we are still worried about H4 . If they can apply for 495 and get EAD they already have what we are asking for.

Please focus more on long term and strategic issues.

H4 work authorization is not a core issue by itself and it results from delay in green cards.

We should play smart and avoid arguing about things that don't matter if we have EAD.

lvaka
05-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Just saw the country cap amendment defeated in C-Span. Did I understood it right? Any one concur?

imh1b
Why we are still worried about H4 . If they can apply for 495 and get EAD they already have what we are asking for.

Please focus more on long term and strategic issues.

H4 work authorization is not a core issue by itself and it results from delay in green cards.

We should play smart and avoid arguing about things that don't matter if we have EAD.

I totally agree with you.

kingster
Cruz 4 went down (as expected) 6-12.

Hatch 8 hasn't come up yet, so as someone suggested it'll either be withdrawn or go down. Withdrawn is more likely since Hatch doesn't want to see any of his amendments fail since he will be voting for the bill in the committee.

What are the odds the 5-yr STEM limit will be removed on the floor of the Senate? Will IV or Compete America push for the 5-yr STEM limit in the House?

Suva
05-21-2013, 06:20 PM
I believe this is for country cap in family based GCs. Country cap removal for employment based GCs is already in the original bill.

Just saw the country cap amendment defeated in C-Span. Did I understood it right? Any one concur?

Mau
05-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Learn from Irish. They got without arguing what we are crying for . Right for dependent to work. Its a wrong point to start with .

If there are no legs , you can't stand.

Its should be about more green card. So it opens door for more family. If we keep fighting for dependents and not the primary, guess what?

There will be no more dependents cause there will be no more primary applicants.

All fight and money wasted?

I wish we get every thing we need.

Is it ever true?

I have no rights to pick issues. But can i give reasoning?

Flyingcrow
05-21-2013, 06:32 PM
What gives you the riight to decide what is core issue and what is not ? Everybody has a right to an opinion. GC might be important to you, but that doesn't give you authority or right to discount anything else.

As a matter of fact, if it wasn't a core issue, then we wouldn't be discussing it.

He just placed request and gave the reason why he/she thinks so. He made no decision here. Either you accept it, if not give your counter argument why it should still be. Please watch these judiciary commitee sessions, can learn a lot on how to put foward opinions, counter it or negotiate it. By the by he has every right to decide for himself that it is a non core issue just as you have the right to think it has.

Suva
05-21-2013, 06:40 PM
They are discussing about LGBT amendment by Leahy. If this passes then forget about the bill. It would fall apart. Hope it gets defeated.

bond4u
05-21-2013, 06:45 PM
What gives you the riight to decide what is core issue and what is not ? Everybody has a right to an opinion. GC might be important to you, but that doesn't give you authority or right to discount anything else.

As a matter of fact, if it wasn't a core issue, then we wouldn't be discussing it.

Agreed. We should learn from other communities like lationos who are fighting for their illegal brother and sisters even for their siblings. Even LGBT communities are asking same rights for their partners. Irish community able to carve out 10k visa for their people without any skills requirement, Koreans and Caribbean able to get same for their people with LOW skills. Also new low skill visa category W has their spouse work authorization.

Still on other hand people from desi communities are not willing to lend support (even some are against too!!) to their better half May I am wrong but my perception is because our society see them as homemaker than bread winner. Or may be many h1b here are not married yet and this issue are no longer affect them.
Although My wife has gone through that rut now employed on EAD but I would like my future immigrants Indian brothers and sisters do not go through same rut.

deepakd
05-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Immigration reform bill clears key Senate hurdle

Immigration reform bill clears key Senate hurdle - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/politics/senate-immigration-bill/index.html)

Flyingcrow
05-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Immigration reform bill clears key Senate hurdle

Immigration reform bill clears key Senate hurdle - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/politics/senate-immigration-bill/index.html)

Misleading headline :)

LglImi
05-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Cruz 4 went down (as expected) 6-12.

Hatch 8 hasn't come up yet, so as someone suggested it'll either be withdrawn or go down. Withdrawn is more likely since Hatch doesn't want to see any of his amendments fail since he will be voting for the bill in the committee.

What are the odds the 5-yr STEM limit will be removed on the floor of the Senate? Will IV or Compete America push for the 5-yr STEM limit in the House?

When the list of proposed amendments was being compiled on IV forum, 5yr thing was on top request from many IVers. Unfortunately that member demand did not translate into actual amendment request from IV to Senators....good luck and try on your own now if u can...contact your area senators and congressman about this...

sg27
05-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Senate Immigration Bill Passes Out Of Judiciary Committee (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/21/senate-immigration-bill_n_3315271.html)

sage2006
05-22-2013, 02:10 AM
Why do you say that the STEM provision was not on the IV ask list? It was and still is and core team has been talking to multiple offices for sponsoring that and other amendments.
Our members have to keep contacting and talking to their lawmakers in order to get traction for all our amendment proposals...simply asking for something is not the end of the road, it is just the beginning. As it has been mentioned here, we have had a huge number of members participate in town hall meetings and meet with local lawmaker offices to push for our provisions/amendments. We need lot more participation. Contact us via facebook or @info@immigrationvoice.org if u want to volunteer. We have had lots of orientation sessions (how to attend townhalls, meet lawmaker offices) and will have many more where you can learn about advocacy and lobbying. All you have to do is step up and act. We have to keep pushing our lawmakers not only for amendments but also to support the base CIR bill S.744 (if they do not already). Remember..if CIR does not pass we lose whatever is already in the bill as well.

When the list of proposed amendments was being compiled on IV forum, 5yr thing was on top request from many IVers. Unfortunately that member demand did not translate into actual amendment request from IV to Senators....good luck and try on your own now if u can...contact your area senators and congressman about this...

whiteStallion
05-22-2013, 02:24 AM
This is a great start. Hope it crosses the Senate hurdle soon!

goosetavo
05-22-2013, 03:51 AM
Hats off to the IV Core team for keeping up the momentum and helping pass the Hatch-Schumer ammendment, let's keep up the effort! We are so close I can smell it :)

madhu345
05-22-2013, 10:18 AM
We are sniffing it for last few years :p

Hats off to the IV Core team for keeping up the momentum and helping pass the Hatch-Schumer ammendment, let's keep up the effort! We are so close I can smell it :)

Flyingcrow
05-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Admin, there is an unusual number of spam in the forum list.

kingster
05-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Why do you say that the STEM provision was not on the IV ask list? It was and still is and core team has been talking to multiple offices for sponsoring that and other amendments.
Our members have to keep contacting and talking to their lawmakers in order to get traction for all our amendment proposals...simply asking for something is not the end of the road, it is just the beginning. As it has been mentioned here, we have had a huge number of members participate in town hall meetings and meet with local lawmaker offices to push for our provisions/amendments. We need lot more participation. Contact us via facebook or @info@immigrationvoice.org if u want to volunteer. We have had lots of orientation sessions (how to attend townhalls, meet lawmaker offices) and will have many more where you can learn about advocacy and lobbying. All you have to do is step up and act. We have to keep pushing our lawmakers not only for amendments but also to support the base CIR bill S.744 (if they do not already). Remember..if CIR does not pass we lose whatever is already in the bill as well.
A handy list of influential Senators and Representatives on immigration. A good % of them are likely to end up on the eventual "conference committee" that reconciles House and Senate versions. Please lobby all of them on all the IV priorities, including removing the 5-yr STEM grad limit and allowing advanced STEM grads to self-petition without an employer. I would think lobbying Bob Goodlatte, Darrell Issa and the House Gang should be done first.

House Gang of 8:
Raul Labrador R-ID
Mario Diaz-Balart R-FL
Xavier Becerra D-IL
Zoe Lofgren D-CA
John Yarmuth D-KY
John Carter R-TX
Sam Johnson R-TX
Luis Gutierrez D-IL

Sponsor of the standalone high skills House bill:
Darrell Issa R-CA

Chair of the House Judiciary Committee:
Bob-Goodlatte R-VA

Senate Gang of 8:
Marco Rubio R-FL
Michael Bennet D-CO
Richard Durbin D-IL
Jeff Flake R-AZ
Lindsey Graham R-SC
John McCain R-AZ
Bob Menendez D-NJ
Chuck Schumer D-NY

jetflyer
05-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Starting 9:30am today, Senate Judiciary committee will undertake the markup of S.744 - Immigration Reform of 2013.

Here is a link to all 1st degree amendments filed -

Bill markup is a crucial step towards passage of the bill in the Senate. There are many amendments for and against our provisions. So this process will be critical to determine which of our provisions will make into the final bill.

Hello sir,

do you know when will be the effective dates for this if it pass's senate,

Details of the Senate immigration bill (http://news.yahoo.com/details-senate-immigration-bill-192848512.html)

Thanks

Jet

MK1981
05-22-2013, 11:48 AM
All Immigration Gurus...

Greetings...

I am a silent follower of this forum & would like to thank the IV team for all the work.. "VERY HARD & IMPRESSIVE WORK". I make sure that I am on this forum at least once a day.

I would like to ask...

I read thru the amendments but did find anywhere the Concurrent I-140 & 485 filing that yesterday everyone was talking about. With my minimum immigration knowledge can some one please tell me which line in the Bill or amendment is talking about this.

Regards... lets all of us go Green... All the best again IV for all your HARD WORK.. I have trust in you.
:):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):)

karthikforever
05-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Great to see IV's efforts bearing fruit. But I have a major concern like I am sure many other might have. My company is a small consulting firm with less than 50 employees. Most of these employees are on H1B's consulting at different client places across the country. One of the provisions (according to my understanding) that is part of CIR currently is that companies with 15% or more employees that are H1B can not send their employees to client places to work I am correct? If so wont this have a massive negative impact on scores of us H1Bs working for consulting firms. Will this effectively end consulting firms dependent on H1B's? What sort of an impact are you expecting? Shouldn't this be one of the most important issues that need to be taken up as it affects so many of us? Is it something to be worried about?

imh1b
05-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Great to see IV's efforts bearing fruit. But I have a major concern like I am sure many other might have. My company is a small consulting firm with less than 50 employees. Most of these employees are on H1B's consulting at different client places across the country. One of the provisions (according to my understanding) that is part of CIR currently is that companies with 15% or more employees that are H1B can not send their employees to client places to work I am correct? If so wont this have a massive negative impact on scores of us H1Bs working for consulting firms. Will this effectively end consulting firms dependent on H1B's? What sort of an impact are you expecting? Shouldn't this be one of the most important issues that need to be taken up as it affects so many of us? Is it something to be worried about?

We should support cleaning out of consulting firms. Many will run out of business and that is good. Too much fraud and exploitation is happening both by employers and employees. You see a bad reaction on anyone's face when you tell them you work for a consulting firm. I need not list frauds. Everyone knows. When market is clean, only bright will survive, work hard, innovate. Others will also become bright by working hard, studying and getting new skills. This is good for America and employees. We need good working environments and good employers who do not take advantage of us. Let us support such cleanup bills.

karthikforever
05-22-2013, 07:53 PM
We should support cleaning out of consulting firms. Many will run out of business and that is good. Too much fraud and exploitation is happening both by employers and employees. You see a bad reaction on anyone's face when you tell them you work for a consulting firm. I need not list frauds. Everyone knows. When market is clean, only bright will survive, work hard, innovate. Others will also become bright by working hard, studying and getting new skills. This is good for America and employees. We need good working environments and good employers who do not take advantage of us. Let us support such cleanup bills.

What about consulting companies that do not commit fraud? Agreed that employees/employers that commit fraud should be penalized. But imhib is suggesting that consulting as a business or occupation it self amounts to fraud. I feel this is highly discriminatory and unfair. As long as there is demand among clients for consultants to work on their projects I don't see where the problem is. This is a topic that I don't see enough being discussed in relation to CIR.
It would be great if IV clarifies their stand on this. Are they including the interests of H1B consultants in their efforts. Does IV support the bills that would kill jobs for H1B consultants many of whom like everyone else are honest and hard working?

imh1b
05-22-2013, 08:26 PM
What about consulting companies that do not commit fraud? Agreed that employees/employers that commit fraud should be penalized. But imhib is suggesting that consulting as a business or occupation it self amounts to fraud. I feel this is highly discriminatory and unfair. As long as there is demand among clients for consultants to work on their projects I don't see where the problem is. This is a topic that I don't see enough being discussed in relation to CIR.
It would be great if IV clarifies their stand on this. Are they including the interests of H1B consultants in their efforts. Does IV support the bills that would kill jobs for H1B consultants many of whom like everyone else are honest and hard working?

I have not seen or heard a single consulting company that is very honest and work in the interest of the employees.

The consulting business model is based on making profit on placing workers at another employer and making a % of every $ earned. H1Bs are easy prey because they are looking for a sponsor. They are scared of complaining and do not complain. This is abuse. Employees themselves commit fraud in multiple ways. Big companies who get consultants to work for them want them because they are cheaper than regular employees.

When there is no abuse, system will clean. Its a win win for employees.

keyurpatel80
05-22-2013, 08:29 PM

Those consulting companies are seeing what they have seed. and anyway those companies are dead since Employer-Employee memo. I was also working for small consulting company but I easily figured out they can not establish employer employee relationship if I try to extend for H1b visa or apply for re validation of my visa at abroad. They have been breaking many laws and using many loopholes. Their job is not to just run payroll.

You may be genuine hard working H1b holder but if your employer is not, you may get punished.

Better get out of this till more storm comes.

pappu
05-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Old timers already know how IV has handled issues. Those who are new and have never participated in advocacy days and meetings with lawmakers in their state chapter can search for 'Durbin Grassley' Provisions threads on IV, how IV opposed them and read through them. We urge you to participate actively on IV. Meet your state chapter leads regularly, contribute monthly, come to DC whenever we call our volunteers, attend training sessions and you will understand the depth and complexity of the issues we face. Forum is simply a door to inside but the real work is outside the forums.

bond4u
05-22-2013, 08:55 PM

If your consulting company is not fraud then there is simple way out by applying GC for all of their H1B consultants, pay them level 2 salary and get a project to work not just run monthly payroll from home like some companies I saw them doing.
You shouldn't be worried because I saw most of time hard working guys from small consulting firms generally hired by their employers clients for permanent basis. Once fraud consulting companies get closed most of jobs will be available for direct hire.
I think most of genuine consulting companies and their employees will be benefited from this bill. Please do not get disheartened with changes made favorable for foreign worker.

Also It will be hard to argue for this provision by any advocacy group which clearly meant to stop abuse and fraud by body shoppers.

jetflyer
05-23-2013, 10:55 AM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/immigration-propo...

pray to god that it becomes law

greendream26
05-23-2013, 11:29 AM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/immigration-propo...

Link doesnt work

Suva
05-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Link doesnt work

I think this is the link...

Immigration proposal running out of time in House | WashingtonExaminer.com (http://washingtonexaminer.com/immigration-proposal-running-out-of-time-in-house/article/2530353)

greyhair
05-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Here we go again. House Speaking John Boehner says House will not take up Senate Immigration bill. Does this mean the bill is dead?

Statement by House GOP Leaders on Immigration Reform & Border Security | Speaker.gov (http://www.speaker.gov/press-release/statement-house-gop-leaders-immigration-reform-border-security/?ref=permalink)

bpratap
05-23-2013, 02:31 PM
isn't that consistent with what we are hearing all along ?

House will come up with their own version of the Bill. Passing a bill in Senate with at least 70 votes will pressure House to work on a House Version of the bill sooner than later.

Here we go again. House Speaking John Boehner says House will not take up Senate Immigration bill. Does this mean the bill is dead?

Statement by House GOP Leaders on Immigration Reform & Border Security | Speaker.gov (http://www.speaker.gov/press-release/statement-house-gop-leaders-immigration-reform-border-security/?ref=permalink)

prince_nagi@yahoo.com
05-23-2013, 03:10 PM
isn't that consistent with what we are hearing all along ?

House will come up with their own version of the Bill. Passing a bill in Senate with at least 70 votes will pressure House to work on a House Version of the bill sooner than later.

I read some where that if Senate can get around 70 votes then it can be made into a law with out going to house. Looks like they did this for some other bills this year. I am not sure what this process is called for by-passing house.

sanprabhu
05-23-2013, 03:29 PM
I read some where that if Senate can get around 70 votes then it can be made into a law with out going to house. Looks like they did this for some other bills this year. I am not sure what this process is called for by-passing house.

There is no by passing the house. If the house does not pass any immigration bill then we are in tough luck.

If they pass something then there may be a chance that they will do a conference between the senate and House selected people and then do a unified bill that need to be passed by both the houses again with different rules (probably filibustering is not allowed).

It all depends on John Bohner and the leadership at House republican conference to decide whether they want to pursue immigration or not. They have the following choice:
1. Not do anything at all.
2. If Senate passes a bill then John can decide to bring that bill directly to the house floor.
3. Pass something else and then go into conference and even then if the bill is not to his liking then he can let it die.

Immigration reform is not a done deal at all

Flyingcrow
05-23-2013, 03:42 PM
I am sorry but the WhiteHouse Petitiion is pretty much not worth even the little time and effort. There was a similar petition last year, when the limit was only 25k, with all publicity, and the gravity of that issue, (it was something about clearing gc backlogs), it could not even get 20k signs, i think it died with around 17k. I am sorry to say, this one will hardly get 5% of the current limit.

Flyingcrow
05-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Boehner and Rubio would be the perfect cocktail.

pappu
05-23-2013, 03:46 PM
If someone is posting links to online petition it means they do not read posts by admins on this website meant to make them aware on advocacy. We will continue to delete posts with online petitions that are not endorsed by IV. Let us not waste time on them.

sanprabhu
05-23-2013, 03:48 PM
I am sorry but the WhiteHouse Petitiion is pretty much not worth even the little time and effort. There was a similar petition last year, when the limit was only 25k, with all publicity, and the gravity of that issue, (it was something about clearing gc backlogs), it could not even get 20k signs, i think it died with around 17k. I am sorry to say, this one will hardly get 5% of the current limit.

I was also vaguely aware of that petition but that is not under WH control but this one is. I am not holding my breadth on this one but if it gets some traction than it may be helpful for some the IV future members who will be going through same kind of hell as we are.

Flyingcrow
05-23-2013, 03:57 PM
sanprabhu, as Pappu pointed out above, it won't help. Been there, done that, that WH petitiion is at the surface of things, even if you get 100k signatures, it would be equivalent to have taken a first mini step. Please rather utilize your time and effort in IV advocacy in case you are not already doing so.

sanprabhu
05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
If someone is posting links to online petition it means they do not read posts by admins on this website meant to make them aware on advocacy. We will continue to delete posts with online petitions that are not endorsed by IV. Let us not waste time on them.

I know we at IV is trying to do lot of things but it is very frustrating to get the picture month after month trying to decipher where things are moving in the queue. Month after month the visa bulletin states the demand is high and the USCIS puts out the report with minimal numbers as demand in years past, heck, we do not even know if USCIS completes the allocation of 145,000 or so visas.

May be IV can get the info I have requested from USCIS and publish it for donor members, thanks.

ashshriv
05-23-2013, 06:01 PM
The house will act...we have to see how it helps us ..-

House GOP leaders pledge action on immigration (http://news.yahoo.com/house-gop-leaders-pledge-action-190415222.html)

Flyingcrow
05-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Issa & Goodlatte Unveil High-Skilled Immigration Reform - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_dmfmHL3mo)

prince_nagi@yahoo.com
05-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Issa & Goodlatte Unveil High-Skilled Immigration Reform - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_dmfmHL3mo)

Skill act looks like a piecemeal so Dem may not go for it as its not CIR. I think gang of 8 bill gives more GC to EB. In the skill act they are putting a cap in depends GC to 25k where as senate bill has no cap. Skill act is not talking of recapturing the unused GC that is self will clear lots of back log.

However in case some thing pass in house they may look for a compromise with senate bill.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and keep hoping that something will work out soon for us.

LglImi
05-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Alright guys - you are the kings now - amend the bill, play as you would wish.....haha....

Congressman Issa is seeking your brilliant ideas! His staff helped create the historic crowdsourcing platform and will be actively looking at your recommendations.

click on the link below and change the text of the House Skill bill as you wish...enjoy...and have all the fun..crowdsource it..

Madison (http://madison.techcrunch.com/skills-visa-act)

prince_nagi@yahoo.com
05-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Will immigration reform get killed in Republican-led House? | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/26/us-usa-immigration-republicans-idUSBRE94P01820130526)

Reminds me of the snake and ladders game!

looks like its going to be repeat of 2006 immigration reform ... even in 2006 the bill was passed in senate and failed in house. its all a smoke screen looks like. :mad::mad:

The WalL
05-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Regarding the discussion on H1-B and its effects on consulting: I don't know about others...but here's my personal story. Five of my colleagues left my former employer after it was acquired a couple years ago. They started their own consulting firm since the company that acquired us killed the consulting business after the acquisition was complete. Since they were all US Citizens, it was easy for them to get started. They're all law-abiding individuals and have their company's office in a location that's meant for innovative tech startups. They recently got in touch with me to see if I had any interest in joining them. I told them I still hadn't been any closer to resolving my immigration situation. So we set up a conference call with my lawyer and theirs. Essentially what we were told is that since I'd be the sixth employee, with this new bill, the company would have 16.66% H1-B dependency and would be heavily scrutinized!! If they add another employee who's a US citizen and then hire me, it would still be at 15% (1/7 rounded up)! So in order for them to hire me, they'd have to find two more US citizens first to get under 15% (1/8 rounded up = 13%). If small groups like this that are interested in hiring H1 employees cant do it, imagine what will happen when this bill becomes law. It is going to make H1 usage by small companies impossible. The big companies will have no incentive to hire H1 at decent wages...and it'll be offshoring all over again.

bond4u
05-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Regarding the discussion on H1-B and its effects on consulting: I don't know about others...but here's my personal story. Five of my colleagues left my former employer after it was acquired a couple years ago. They started their own consulting firm since the company that acquired us killed the consulting business after the acquisition was complete. Since they were all US Citizens, it was easy for them to get started. They're all law-abiding individuals and have their company's office in a location that's meant for innovative tech startups. They recently got in touch with me to see if I had any interest in joining them. I told them I still hadn't been any closer to resolving my immigration situation. So we set up a conference call with my lawyer and theirs. Essentially what we were told is that since I'd be the sixth employee, with this new bill, the company would have 16.66% H1-B dependency and would be heavily scrutinized!! If they add another employee who's a US citizen and then hire me, it would still be at 15% (1/7 rounded up)! So in order for them to hire me, they'd have to find two more US citizens first to get under 15% (1/8 rounded up = 13%). If small groups like this that are interested in hiring H1 employees cant do it, imagine what will happen when this bill becomes law. It is going to make H1 usage by small companies impossible. The big companies will have no incentive to hire H1 at decent wages...and it'll be offshoring all over again.

Your friends could also apply for your GC simultaneously. After your I-140 approval you will not be counted toward H1b employees percentage.
It is "intending immigrant" provision that exclude the number of H-1B and L-1 employees who have started the green card process from counting the total number of H-1B and L-1 employees for the determination of H-1B "dependent" employers.

greyhair
05-27-2013, 01:44 PM

Based on what bond4u said, you should ask your friends to fire their immigration lawyers. The math they told you is right but their legal argument (the reason they were hired) is totally wrong.

You can join the company started by your friends, and you will not be counted towards H1B count even if they have to apply for your H1B visa.

Your argument about giving special treatment to smaller companies is biased and incorrect. When you speak about equality and fairness, would it not be unfair to large companies if smaller companies are given unfair advantage?

Everyone is so focused on individual situation. Nothing wrong with that. But anytime the bill propose changes that will help everyone overall, and somehow marginally affect anyone negatively, even if it is based on faulty legal advice, people tend to attack the entire bill, which is funny and sad at the same. Instead you should fire your immigration lawyer and hire someone competent.

STOP attacking the bill that can eliminate THE ENTIRE backlog in 1.5 years

LglImi
05-27-2013, 02:25 PM

So as not to oppose your arguments outright, can I request a bit of math behind you above mentioned claim....

greyhair
05-27-2013, 04:04 PM
So as not to oppose your arguments outright, can I request a bit of math behind you above mentioned claim....

Let you show you how to add and subtract

Backlog = 1 million
Exempt dependents, so remain backlog = 500K
Exempt doctors, STEM < 5 years, so remaining backlog = 400K
After recapture of 200K green cards, remaining backlog = 200K
Yearly quota is 140K, so 200K remaining applications require visa number can be adjudicated in 1.5 years

Plus there will be 70K more visas for EB-3 for first 4 years due to section 2301

What say?

waitingnwaiting
05-27-2013, 04:10 PM
The WalL you seem to be less frequent visitor on IV. If you were frequent you will not have accepted what you were told. You would have known about people and that do not trust them blindly. If you speak to 5 different professionals you have multiple opinions. It also depends on who is paying and what is the qualification and expertise of the person. Do not get taken for a ride.

greyhair
05-27-2013, 05:50 PM
USCIS - Previous Pending Employment-Based I-485 Inventory (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=16551543455e5210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCR D&vgnextchannel=16551543455e5210VgnVCM100000082ca60a RCRD)

does this list include family too?

if yes all of us who have applied for 485 will get our GC the day this becomes law and is effective?:confused:

Clearly, you pasted the link with the subsection "Pending Employment-Based I-485 Inventory". Why are you pretending by asking a useless question if this contains "family based". Clearly, it doesn't.

Because you have filed for I-485, it doesn't mean that previous stages don't matter. And although I've filed for I-485, there are lots and lots of people who have not filed for I-485. 1 million backlog calculation contain everyone. That is more important number. Anyways this inventory bull crap data is useless. Anyone whose date is not current is not technically considered 'backlogged' for I-485 stage.

Sorry, I am not a overzealous analyst who wastes time looking at numbers all day. Your question requiring over analysis of the numbers is not important to me. There are people who get a kick out of numbers & predictions, I'm not one of them. I'm ok as long as I have an estimate of where things stand. I would rather call my Senator's office frequently (which I've been doing), than waste my time on these predictions and numbers, which is waste of time.

asaxena
05-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Can' decide ,how this will play. My priority date is March 2005 EB 3 .

mgmanoj
05-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Does this inventory number include spouse and children of primary applicant whose 485 was applied based on employment based criteria?

It includes only primary applicants

jetflyer
05-28-2013, 08:30 AM
i was discussing with one attorney this weekend. he said this bill will fail. this is all politics to show people that they want to do this.

mrdeeds
05-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Your friends could also apply for your GC simultaneously. After your I-140 approval you will not be counted toward H1b employees percentage.
It is "intending immigrant" provision that exclude the number of H-1B and L-1 employees who have started the green card process from counting the total number of H-1B and L-1 employees for the determination of H-1B "dependent" employers.

I think I-140 exemption was plugged in the Hatch-Schumer amendment. As I read it, what you said is still true. However, these exemptions are for 'covered employers'. Any employer with more than 15% H-1Bs is a dependent employer and not covered so the I-140 approved folks would be counted as well. However, there are many ifs and buts in the language. For e.g., if the employer has filed 140 for more than 90% of those H1Bs whose labor was certified, they again become covered..or something like that.

In the original bill language, the I-140 got an exemption no matter what but they added 'for a covered employer' in the the amendment hence making everything governed by the definition of the covered employer.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

All that said, there are so many other positive provisions here that this may be a non-issue. For e.g., if you can adjust status and get an EAD without a visa number being available, this may not matter for most people.

Flyingcrow
05-28-2013, 09:55 AM
i was discussing with one attorney this weekend. he said this bill will fail. this is all politics to show people that they want to do this.

With due respect to your Oracle, the attorney, we are all seeing how it is playing out in the two fields. I don't think we need special third eye. All that we need now is little hope, some madness, and your time and effort to try till the last hour.

The WalL
05-28-2013, 10:30 AM
The WalL you seem to be less frequent visitor on IV. If you were frequent you will not have accepted what you were told. You would have known about people and that do not trust them blindly. If you speak to 5 different professionals you have multiple opinions. It also depends on who is paying and what is the qualification and expertise of the person. Do not get taken for a ride.

Unfortunately, the only opinions that matter are those of the attorneys that advise my friends. While you and I can disagree with their opinions, we need to realize that its their money that's going to be put up for my case. If they have any hints of this becoming problematic, they'll not move on it. The mountain of paperwork necessary to file these immigration petitions take dedicated HR resources which they don't possess as a young company. I fully understand their predicament as well.

I think I-140 exemption was plugged in the Hatch-Schumer amendment. As I read it, what you said is still true. However, these exemptions are for 'covered employers'. Any employer with more than 15% H-1Bs is a dependent employer and not covered so the I-140 approved folks would be counted as well. However, there are many ifs and buts in the language. For e.g., if the employer has filed 140 for more than 90% of those H1Bs whose labor was certified, they again become covered..or something like that.

In the original bill language, the I-140 got an exemption no matter what but they added 'for a covered employer' in the the amendment hence making everything governed by the definition of the covered employer.

All that said, there are so many other positive provisions here that this may be a non-issue. For e.g., if you can adjust status and get an EAD without a visa number being available, this may not matter for most people.

Ah, that covered employer clause...we went round and round on our call as to what that means. In the end, we interpreted the phrase to pessimistically include the situation we faced.

The WalL
05-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Based on what bond4u said, you should ask your friends to fire their immigration lawyers. The math they told you is right but their legal argument (the reason they were hired) is totally wrong.

Easy for you to say fire them, since you're not the one paying for them. My friends and their company is paying their lawyers and their opinions are the one that counts.

You can join the company started by your friends, and you will not be counted towards H1B count even if they have to apply for your H1B visa.

Your argument about giving special treatment to smaller companies is biased and incorrect. When you speak about equality and fairness, would it not be unfair to large companies if smaller companies are given unfair advantage?

I'm not asking for unfair advantage. The H1 petition fees themselves are tiered, so why not apply those same tiers to these H1 dependency rules too? How is that unfair advantage to the smaller companies?

Everyone is so focused on individual situation. Nothing wrong with that. But anytime the bill propose changes that will help everyone overall, and somehow marginally affect anyone negatively, even if it is based on faulty legal advice, people tend to attack the entire bill, which is funny and sad at the same. Instead you should fire your immigration lawyer and hire someone competent.

I'm not attacking the bill. I wanted to share another argument, from a different perspective, on small consulting firms. There has been a lot of bashing in this thread about how consulting firms are just body shops. When I post an example of one that's trying to do the right thing, you have to call it attacking the bill. You cant have it both ways.

waitingnwaiting
05-28-2013, 10:40 AM
You maybe a troll. Have you contributed? Have someone confirm.
You still think they are experts in politics. Go read newspapers and Op-Ed if you want to know about the bill. If you want to know what is I140 you go to lawyer.

waitingnwaiting
05-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Unfortunately, the only opinions that matter are those of the attorneys that advise my friends. While you and I can disagree with their opinions, we need to realize that its their money that's going to be put up for my case. If they have any hints of this becoming problematic, they'll not move on it. The mountain of paperwork necessary to file these immigration petitions take dedicated HR resources which they don't possess as a young company. I fully understand their predicament as well.

Ah, that covered employer clause...we went round and round on our call as to what that means. In the end, we interpreted the phrase to pessimistically include the situation we faced.

Get a second opinion and pay it yourself. You might get a different opinion.

Chandini
05-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Can some post ALL amendments that have been approved or links

Thanks
Chandini

bpratap
05-28-2013, 01:54 PM
In Layman terms the new amended language says, if employer starts GC process for the employees, those employees are not counted against the 15%.

Also, the employee is allowed for file I-485, even when the PD is not current, which translates to, as soon as Labor is approved, Employee is eligible to file for I-140 + I-485 together, and receive EAD + Parole.

gc_check
05-28-2013, 03:52 PM

Is he the same attorney who saw Obamacare fail as well... The point is no one know now if CIR will fail or succeed. But most hope CIR is will pass in one form or other as the political climate appears to be ripe. What will it contain is subject to change and all the lobbying efforts from various interested parties will shape the bill.

waitingnwaiting
05-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Is he the same attorney who saw Obamacare fail as well... The point is no one know now if CIR will fail or succeed. But most hope CIR is will pass in one form or other as the political climate appears to be ripe. What will it contain is subject to change and all the lobbying efforts from various interested parties will shape the bill.

Why I am seeing a couple of negative guys/trolls everyday posting against the bill. They post many times that bill will fail , no use ....... and still come back again and again to the website and look for updates. Ha Ha

waitingnwaiting
05-28-2013, 05:18 PM
guys things will be clear in 60 days.

So what should we do for the next 60 days?

waitingnwaiting
05-28-2013, 05:21 PM

Can you inform all Senators and Congressmen as well so that they do not waste their time on the bill. Tell all newspapers, TV too by the way. Too much ink is being wasted on CIR. Also post on all websites so that we people do not waste time on CIR anymore.

gk_2000
05-28-2013, 09:02 PM
If Vote Was Today, Immigration Reform Would Fail House - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/vote-today-immigration-reform-fail-house/story?id=19252777#.UaUJxEDvu24)

If you put that code in production today, you will soon be out of a job ..

ronhira
05-28-2013, 09:59 PM
If Vote Was Today, Immigration Reform Would Fail House - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/vote-today-immigration-reform-fail-house/story?id=19252777#.UaUJxEDvu24)

Reid: 60 Votes on Immigration 'Pretty Easy' | The World's Greatest Deliberative Body (http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/reid-60-votes-on-immigration-pretty-easy/)

bond4u
05-29-2013, 12:16 PM
I just presenting some other news in the media which may not boost our appetite.

More than anybody I'm hopeful and praying this gets done or else we will be waiting forever!

I think this article is nice and very informative. Kudos to Mr Wong for using his high skills in use and providing much needed stats to immigration advocates to concentrate their focus on required house reps to support this bill.

aspiregc
05-29-2013, 02:10 PM
My first post!!

The updated bill (with text from amendments) has been posted on the Judiciary Committe website. here's the link!!

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/immigration/MDM13735.pdf

Go IV!!

ashshriv
05-29-2013, 05:04 PM
For every negative article on Immigration reform there is a positive one.. so it's up to us to see if the glass is half full or half empty....for me it's half full...fingers crossed..

Why immigration reform has a shot (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2013/05/29/why-immigration-reform-has-a-shot/)

imh1b
05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Any update guys?

greendream26
05-30-2013, 03:46 PM
I tried going through the amendments & the bill but was very difficult to understand the language.

Can someone please provide summary of the final bill in simple language?? PLEASE PLEASE

The WalL
05-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Another immigration related article...but this one talks about the grim situation that the Senate bill faces in the GOP-controlled House. For the money quote, I turn the mike over to Rep. Huelskamp:

That’s a sentiment encapsulated by Kansas GOP Rep. Tim Huelskamp, who told Reuters this month that “There is no evidence to support this idea that Republicans will pick up a lot of votes if we give amnesty to 11 million folks.”

I live in a district that's extremely conservative (Dems didn't put up a candidate in 3 out of the past 4 cycles). Our House Rep in a candid conversation echoed similar thoughts...his question to me was that if they did this, adding many voters 10-15 years from now, they need to see studies of how those new voters' preferences lean. We have a tough fight ahead in winning a lot of such skeptical congressmen.

The WalL
05-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Link to article: For promoters and foes, immigration bill's larger impact may be felt at the polls - NBC Politics (http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/30/18633666-for-promoters-and-foes-immigration-bills-larger-impact-may-be-felt-at-the-polls)

greendream26
05-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Do any of the IV have any inside news as to what is happening in the house?

In addition to above request, Can someone please provide summary of the final bill in simple language?? PLEASE PLEASE
I tried going through the amendments & the bill but was very difficult to understand the language.

eastindia
05-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Do any of the IV have any inside news as to what is happening in the house?

Are you in touch with your chapter lead? I am getting regular updates since I am helping their IV action items.

imh1b
05-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Are you in touch with your chapter lead? I am getting regular updates since I am helping their IV action items.

I like getting info in my facebook feed everyday on my mobile instead of coming to website. After you like IV page on Facebook, all action items and comments can be easily accessed.

LglImi
06-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I was reading the amended version of Senate immigration bill S744. I am surprised to see changes to the Section 2302(c)(3)(B) regarding Merit Based Track 2 immigrant system.

The original version of S.744 DID NOT require 10 year "continuous" presence, but the latest version of S744 requires continuous presence. Unfortunately, the only visa which allows 10 years of non-stop continuous presence is the one which is being proposed for illegal immigrants i.e. RPI visa. For law abiding legals, visas expire after 6 years and we have to leave country and come back after 1 year. When the EB system is gone and point based system kicks in, the skilled immigrants on H1Bs will never get 10 years continuous presence and will never be able to use Section 2302.

I have a question regarding Section 2302(c)(3)(B) for Merit based track 2. None of the Senate amendments had 10 year "continuous presence" clause and it was also NOT in original bill - so how the hell it came up in the new amended bill. Did some assistant there put his own words in there??????

panks
06-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Where do you see the "continuous" presence requirement ? Here is the text from page 273 at this link: http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/Sponsors1-%28MDM13313%29.pdf

Copied Text:

(3) L
ONG
-
TERM ALIEN WORKERS AND OTHER
MERIT
-
BASED IMMIGRANTS
.—An alien who—
(A) is not admitted pursuant to subpara-
graph (W) of section 101(a)(15) of the Immi-
gration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C.
1101(a)(15)); and
(B) has been lawfully present and author-
ized for employment in the United States for
not less than 10 years; and

---------------

I was reading the amended version of Senate immigration bill S744. I am surprised to see changes to the Section 2302(c)(3)(B) regarding Merit Based Track 2 immigrant system.

The original version of S.744 DID NOT require 10 year "continuous" presence, but the latest version of S744 requires continuous presence. Unfortunately, the only visa which allows 10 years of non-stop continuous presence is the one which is being proposed for illegal immigrants i.e. RPI visa. For law abiding legals, visas expire after 6 years and we have to leave country and come back after 1 year. When the EB system is gone and point based system kicks in, the skilled immigrants on H1Bs will never get 10 years continuous presence and will never be able to use Section 2302.

I have a question regarding Section 2302(c)(3)(B) for Merit based track 2. None of the Senate amendments had 10 year "continuous presence" clause and it was also NOT in original bill - so how the hell it came up in the new amended bill. Did some assistant there put his own words in there??????

LglImi
06-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Where do you see the "continuous" presence requirement ? Here is the text from page 273 at this link: http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/legislation/Sponsors1-%28MDM13313%29.pdf

Copied Text:

(3) L
ONG
-
TERM ALIEN WORKERS AND OTHER
MERIT
-
BASED IMMIGRANTS
.—An alien who—
(A) is not admitted pursuant to subpara-
graph (W) of section 101(a)(15) of the Immi-
gration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C.
1101(a)(15)); and
(B) has been lawfully present and author-
ized for employment in the United States for
not less than 10 years; and

---------------

Interesting.....Sen Rubio was saying a special path for illegals wont be created. Video: Marco Rubio: No 'special path' in immigration proposal - POLITICO.com (http://www.politico.com/multimedia/video/2013/04/marco-rubio-no-special-path-in-immigration-proposal.html)

When the RPI visa for illegals is only status allowing non-stop >10 years of "continuous presence", How come this is not a special path for illegals...

LglImi
06-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Interesting.....Sen Rubio was saying a special path for illegals wont be created. Video: Marco Rubio: No 'special path' in immigration proposal - POLITICO.com (http://www.politico.com/multimedia/video/2013/04/marco-rubio-no-special-path-in-immigration-proposal.html)

When the RPI visa for illegals is only status allowing non-stop >10 years of "continuous presence", How come this is not a special path for illegals...I am not against illegals at all. All I am saying is that high skilled legals are being excluded from using Section 2302...

EXAMPLE: Under the future merit based Track 1 point system a physicist, mechanical engineer, chemist and lot of other high skilled professions will never get points for "high demand occupation". It is more geared toward the IT professionals. So, these other high skilled immigrants will have to rely on Section 2302 Merit based track 2 system - but if this Track 2 system needs 10 years of continuous presence, H1B visa won't allow that. Only RPI status for illegals allows that. Please note, EB system wont exist at that time to allow any kind of H1B extensions beyond 6 years.

Since IV members not IT professionals only, IV needed to stand for other high skilled professions like physicist, mechanical engineers, electronics engineers, chemist, etc etc as well..

greyhair
06-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Interesting.....

Let me make a guess - you will not benefit from this provision, which is why you say - IV needed to stand for other high skilled professions implying that somehow IV did not do their job and somehow all others are conspiring against you, is that right?

There is no need to jump up-and-down over analyzing each and every article. Articles are work of reporters. Each article has no more than 1 or 2 lines of news. But reporters have to come up with other material to make it look like a 1-2 page story. Learn to deal with filtering our relevant information and try not to over analyze what any article says. Rubio is doing his best to sell immigration reform. Give him some credit. There is no point in over analyzing and dissecting every word. Try to see the bigger picture and not be tied down into unnecessary wordsmith of some reporter trying to sell his publication.

LglImi
06-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Try to see the bigger picture and not be tied down into unnecessary wordsmith of some reporter trying to sell his publication.

Grey, you are missing wisdom and big picture here. Stop caring about yourself only and think about future high skilled immigrants as well...Truth is, per Section 2302(c)(3)(B) , high skilled with limited 6 year H1B visa wont be able to apply as "Long term workers" which need 10yr 'continuous presence'. This is not a coming from a random publication - it is Section 2302(c)(3)(B) of a proposed bill and until amended it has potential to hurt future legal high skilled immigrants.

STOP BEING SELFISH THINKING ABOUT YOURSELF AND THINK ABOUT COMING GENERATION OF HIGH SKILLED IMMIGRANTS AS WELL...This bill has long term impacts on future high skilled immigrants, not only your green card...

Again if you didn't understood the practical implications - EXAMPLE: Under the future merit based Track 1 point system a physicists, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, chemists and lot of other high skilled professions will never get points for "high demand occupation". It is more geared toward the IT professionals. So, these other high skilled immigrants will have to rely on Section 2302 Merit based track 2 system - but if this Track 2 system needs 10 years of continuous presence, H1B visa won't allow that. Only RPI status for illegals allows that. Please note, EB system wont exist at that time to allow any kind of H1B extensions beyond 6 years.

There is no need for "continuous presence" clause in Section 2302 because continuous presence for RPIs is already covered under "RPI Eligibility"...

greyhair
06-01-2013, 07:34 PM
STOP BEING SELFISH THINKING ABOUT YOURSELF AND THINK ABOUT COMING GENERATION OF HIGH SKILLED IMMIGRANTS AS WELL...This bill has long term impacts on future high skilled immigrants, not only your green card...

Good that atleast someone is not just thinking about himself, but about future generations. You keep working for the future generations. When are you going to Washington to lobby for future generations?

If you keep asking for more and more, there comes a time when people will know that you are being unreasonable, and they will tell you to get lost. Its a debate between asking for too much to become irrelevant and getting things that are possible. Obviously, you do not know when you to stop. Say, if somehow lawmakers add what you are asking, you will come back with another one, and then another one - blaming Rubio, IV, everyone around you, as if somehow you are the savior of "FUTURE GENERATIONS" who will be slaughtered without your provision. Keep going.

sage2006
06-02-2013, 02:06 AM
You are looking at one clause in isolation and getting alarmed unnecessarily. and you are wrongly interpreting that EB system is going away somewhere. Please read the bill carefully.

the high skilled immigrants you list below can continue to apply under EB and get their GC with all the other high skilled provisions in the bill.

merit based track 1 and track 2 will continue to be just an alternative so if people want to use it they can.

creating a path way for undocumented (and track 2 provides that pathway) is one of the core reasons for CIR and so no one cares if you or me do not like it.

When the RPI visa for illegals is only status allowing non-stop >10 years of "continuous presence", How come this is not a special path for illegals...I am not against illegals at all. All I am saying is that high skilled legals are being excluded from using Section 2302...

EXAMPLE: Under the future merit based Track 1 point system a physicist, mechanical engineer, chemist and lot of other high skilled professions will never get points for "high demand occupation". It is more geared toward the IT professionals. So, these other high skilled immigrants will have to rely on Section 2302 Merit based track 2 system - but if this Track 2 system needs 10 years of continuous presence, H1B visa won't allow that. Only RPI status for illegals allows that. Please note, EB system wont exist at that time to allow any kind of H1B extensions beyond 6 years.

Since IV members not IT professionals only, IV needed to stand for other high skilled professions like physicist, mechanical engineers, electronics engineers, chemist, etc etc as well..

LglImi
06-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Good that atleast someone is not just thinking about himself, but about future generations. You keep working for the future generations. When are you going to Washington to lobby for future generations?

Grey, you are height of meaness. If Mahatma Gandhi and Bhagat Singh would have thought about their own independence, not future generations- you could have been still part of glorious Briish Empire, and for mean people like you it might have been awesome...

And yes, I am meeting my congressman next week. I have an appointment set with him. I am taking of from work for that, my boss didn't like it but will still go. I am going with pure IV agenda. When are you going??? Oh you are so busy with your own GreenCard, why don't you print you own....haha...

And again, future generations of high skilled should be considered - not only mean GreyHair's GreenCard..Grey, letus know when you are meeting your congressman with IV agenda...

Sage,
Thanks for your input. Are your sure EB would exit in parallel with Merit based tracks? If not, 10 year continuous presence in Sction 2302 would be a key hindrance to skiled workers as no 10 year continuous visa exist. that would be determinal to other high skilled professions like physicist, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, chemists, etc. Thanks!

panks
06-02-2013, 01:14 PM
You keep repeating the "continuous" first of all it does not say the word continuous anywhere in the verbiage you are referring to. And there are plenty of people who would qualify for that. While you are backlogged and I-140 is approved can you not keep getting your H1 extended beyond six years. Besides that I believe people's time on on OPT and EAD will also be counted towards this.

eastindia
06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Grey, you are height of meaness. If Mahatma Gandhi and Bhagat Singh would have thought about their own independence, not future generations- you could have been still part of glorious Briish Empire, and for mean people like you it might have been awesome...

And yes, I am meeting my congressman next week. I have an appointment set with him. I am taking of from work for that, my boss didn't like it but will still go. I am going with pure IV agenda. When are you going??? Oh you are so busy with your own GreenCard, why don't you print you own....haha...

And again, future generations of high skilled should be considered - not only mean GreyHair's GreenCard..Grey, letus know when you are meeting your congressman with IV agenda...

Sage,
Thanks for your input. Are your sure EB would exit in parallel with Merit based tracks? If not, 10 year continuous presence in Sction 2302 would be a key hindrance to skiled workers as no 10 year continuous visa exist. that would be determinal to other high skilled professions like physicist, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, chemists, etc. Thanks!

Firstly IV is not just IT folks. You have no idea of its agenda. Learn to take IV website seriously. It is not other website, where pottymouths fight each other for entertainment. Before posting such statements, think about it first. People from government come and visit the website. Post like a mature professional.

I highly doubt you are speaking the truth about your meeting. If you were really meeting for IV agenda, the first thing that came from you is humility. Before every meeting we are all trained on how to be an advocate. You are not trained and you are just shooting a lie because nobody knows you on forum other than an ID LglImi. With this arrogance it is better not to meet any Congressman. You will end up hurting your interests and interests of everyone here. Secondly Congress is working this week in Washington DC. You absolutely cannot meet your Congressman on this week during a weekday. It is not easy getting appointment with Congressman even during recess. One only gets appointment with a petty case worker or lower ranks types. And these low rank types are hardly big guns if you are thinking you will go and get a provision in CIR edited in one meeting!

Don't just boast on this website and try to pick up fights. Learn to be humble. That is the first step of advocacy when you go and meet someone to have them listen to you. All that comes with training and going with IV members in meetings. You joined just last month. Sincerely participate. We folks have been here long. I have myself done more than 20 meetings. Traveled to Washington DC on advocacy days in the last few years. Done meetings at local level. Have been donating every month. Taken time off so many times each year. As a newbie, please spend time understanding IV first by participating actively.

somberi
06-03-2013, 02:32 PM
with all due respect to eastindia, I have been seeing this individual who goes by the name of greyhair and I can assure you, if anyone needs to be disciplined, it would be him. Given his responses to posts, both now and in the past, it is difficult not to retort in the way Lglmi did.

LglImi
06-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Firstly IV is not just IT folks. You have no idea of its agenda. Learn to take IV website seriously. It is not other website, where pottymouths fight each other for entertainment. Before posting such statements, think about it first. People from government come and visit the website. Post like a mature professional.

I highly doubt you are speaking the truth about your meeting. If you were really meeting for IV agenda, the first thing that came from you is humility. Before every meeting we are all trained on how to be an advocate. You are not trained and you are just shooting a lie because nobody knows you on forum other than an ID LglImi. With this arrogance it is better not to meet any Congressman. You will end up hurting your interests and interests of everyone here. Secondly Congress is working this week in Washington DC. You absolutely cannot meet your Congressman on this week during a weekday. It is not easy getting appointment with Congressman even during recess. One only gets appointment with a petty case worker or lower ranks types. And these low rank types are hardly big guns if you are thinking you will go and get a provision in CIR edited in one meeting!

Don't just boast on this website and try to pick up fights. Learn to be humble. That is the first step of advocacy when you go and meet someone to have them listen to you. All that comes with training and going with IV members in meetings. You joined just last month. Sincerely participate. We folks have been here long. I have myself done more than 20 meetings. Traveled to Washington DC on advocacy days in the last few years. Done meetings at local level. Have been donating every month. Taken time off so many times each year. As a newbie, please spend time understanding IV first by participating actively.

Are you going to reply to GreyHair also, or just picking me here...

If telling everybody that I am meeting Congressman is 'arrogance' - well that is very discouraging. Tell the people who have arrogance to post junk around here, without ever doing anything for high skilled cause...I am posting my concerns and no way that means I donot understand IV agenda. Stop the troll and nonsense from people like greyhair who have contributed nothing so far. I will tell everybody that I am following action items and I wont be humble in that. Infact, I will challenge others to follow action items.....

Are you sure no congressman can be available in these weeks? You might want to check the facts with IV core.

No need to teach around here to me. Teach people who just post and do nothing in action items...Again, I am concerned about the "continuous presence" clause - that is it, pure and simple. Don't mean I am propagating against S744 any way. It is very good in general and best we have got so far with IV efforts. Thanks!!

sage2006
06-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Yes we are very sure that nothing is going to happen to EB.
read pages 256-379 and it will be very clear.

by the way the portion 2302 (c) (3) (B) that you have repeated concerns about in the last few posts was there in the original bill as well so I am STILL not sure what exactly your concern is.

Let me re-state this - Merit based track 2 can be used by EB backlogged applicants who want to apply under the 1/7th quota reserved for folks stuck in EB queue. Honestly considering all the backlog removal provisions that are already in the bill, I am not sure many folks will even need this quota.
all the folks you listed can continue to gather points under merit based track 1, if they want, apart from the EB process which will still be the primary option. With per-country cap removal, visa recapture, dependent exemption, STEM exemption [5 yr for now but IV is continuing to push to relax this], all the EB backlog wil be removed. In addition, EB will get all the merit based GCs for 4 fiscal years which will further help us.

I suggest we focus on getting our amendments in rather than worrying about trivial sections and interpretations.
As indicated in Admin's newsletter large number of IV members are attending townhalls and meetings in local districts but we need many more volunteers all across the country.

In general - a reminder to everyone here - If you are interested to volunteer to reach out to lawmakers in your districts (via town halls or office meetings) email <State Abbreviation>@immigrationvoice.org (e.g TX@immigrationvoice.org if you are in texas or wa@immigrationvoice.org if you are in washington state) and one of our leads will get in touch with you with content and material and training that can actually help you influence your lawmakers and help get our amendments in (some of which all you folks here help put together). Randomly posting about attending local meetings is not going to help anyone. We have to follow the process and talking points that will help us get this bill through the senate and more importantly get the House to pass the bill with our provisions in it.
We have to look at the larger goal and push towards it. This bill is the instant solution to all our backlog worries...lets get serious about standing behind it. By walking the walk and not merely talking the talk.

Sage,

drevil08
06-04-2013, 03:43 AM
Hello ImmigrationVoice,

Could you please help or suggest what to do to tell senators to remove or adjust 5 year clause for STEM graduates? Most companies in east coast and many companies in valley start GC process for employee when they are in their 6th year which means they have spent 1 year OPT and 5 years on H1B already before their GC process starts thereby disqualifying many candidates.

apshodh
06-04-2013, 02:08 PM

by the way the portion 2302 (c) (3) (B) that you have repeated concerns about in the last few posts was there in the original bill as well so I am STILL not sure what exactly your concern is.

Let me re-state this - Merit based track 2 can be used by EB backlogged applicants who want to apply under the 1/7th quota reserved for folks stuck in EB queue. Honestly considering all the backlog removal provisions that are already in the bill, I am not sure many folks will even need this quota.
all the folks you listed can continue to gather points under merit based track 1, if they want, apart from the EB process which will still be the primary option. With per-country cap removal, visa recapture, dependent exemption, STEM exemption [5 yr for now but IV is continuing to push to relax this], all the EB backlog wil be removed. In addition, EB will get all the merit based GCs for 4 fiscal years which will further help us.

I suggest we focus on getting our amendments in rather than worrying about trivial sections and interpretations.
As indicated in Admin's newsletter large number of IV members are attending townhalls and meetings in local districts but we need many more volunteers all across the country.

In general - a reminder to everyone here - If you are interested to volunteer to reach out to lawmakers in your districts (via town halls or office meetings) email <State Abbreviation>@immigrationvoice.org (e.g TX@immigrationvoice.org if you are in texas or wa@immigrationvoice.org if you are in washington state) and one of our leads will get in touch with you with content and material and training that can actually help you influence your lawmakers and help get our amendments in (some of which all you folks here help put together). Randomly posting about attending local meetings is not going to help anyone. We have to follow the process and talking points that will help us get this bill through the senate and more importantly get the House to pass the bill with our provisions in it.
We have to look at the larger goal and push towards it. This bill is the instant solution to all our backlog worries...lets get serious about standing behind it. By walking the walk and not merely talking the talk.

I fully agree with above.
Let us not fight amongst ourselves. Let us work together for common good.

Also, I wanted to request IV to kindly let people know about the status of amendment for removal of country cap. From my understanding, it was part of Hatch amendment which was either never taken or defeated.

Thank you

bpratap
06-04-2013, 02:27 PM
I am not sure, if you are trying to fit yourself in one specific case. in whole picture,

IF immigration bill passes, it will have provisions for

recapture of wasted Visas
dependents excluded from VISA numbers
removal of country Quota.
Most of the EB1 excluded from VISA Numbers.
STEM Grads/ Phd's excluded from VISA Numbers.
Provision which will force employer to file for GC in the first year of employment, to avoid H1B dependent employer label & inviting $5k - $10k additional fees. -- as Amended
H1B Employee will get to file I-140 + I-485, as soon as labor is approved (employee mobility) -- as Amended

While it is good to have all our wish list including 5yr STEM exemption, in the bill, don't you think these existing provisions which are already in the bill will solve the most of the issues, you are trying to address ?

I believe we (IV) should be concentrating more to make sure, these provisions are not dropped off in the long legislative process. and also to dedicate our efforts to get the implementation date moved up as much as possible, instead of October, 2015.

Hello ImmigrationVoice,

Could you please help or suggest what to do to tell senators to remove or adjust 5 year clause for STEM graduates? Most companies in east coast and many companies in valley start GC process for employee when they are in their 6th year which means they have spent 1 year OPT and 5 years on H1B already before their GC process starts thereby disqualifying many candidates.

arcsivan
06-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Friends - Please check this

Letter from Sens. Cruz, Sessions, Lee, Grassley Voicing Concerns with S. 744 (http://www.scribd.com/doc/145700635/Letter-from-Sens-Cruz-Sessions-Lee-Grassley-Voicing-Concerns-with-S-744)

keyurpatel80
06-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Does anybody know WTF is happening in house. They have not revealed anything they just keep saying we are working on it.

as far as House is concerned, they are going for piecemeal approach rather than passing senate version of comprehensive bill.

and I think, in piecemeal approach, there is high chance that our EB part will be passed without much hassle.

Seniors may correct me if there is something more fuzzy can happen in piecemeal approach.

keyurpatel80
06-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Senate won't approve piecemeal approach!

do you mean senate or Democrats ?
Once it is in house, how can senate interfere ?

greyhair
06-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Does anybody know WTF is happening in house. They have not revealed anything they just keep saying we are working on it.

Why always look for things that you don't know? Maybe House leadership is not making it public or they are not being upfront because there will be backlash from anti immigrant groups. Does it make sense? Just because you do not know what's going on, doesn't mean its evil or wrong. You don't want to trust them when House says they are working. Yes, Senate will not stamp anything that the House will pass. Likewise, House has its identity, it will not rubber stamp whatever Senate will pass. Why is it so difficult to comprehend? Why is it bad or wrong? House goes to vote every 2 years. They will be careful in taking a position before Senate passes a bill. House members have more to lose if House members take a position and then Senate doesn't even pass the bill. Thinking from their point of view and it will start to make sense.

indiantexan
06-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Could you please help or suggest what to do to tell senators to remove or adjust 5 year clause for STEM graduates? Most companies start GC process for H1b employee when they are in their 6th year which means they have spent 1 year OPT and 5 years on H1B already before their GC process starts thereby disqualifying many candidates. This is not favorable to many of us who are living legally for more than 10 years.

Administrator2
06-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Could you please help or suggest what to do to tell senators to remove or adjust 5 year clause for STEM graduates? Most companies start GC process for H1b employee when they are in their 6th year which means they have spent 1 year OPT and 5 years on H1B already before their GC process starts thereby disqualifying many candidates. This is not favorable to many of us who are living legally for more than 10 years.

Get involved and actively participate in the overall effort. We are working on amendment(s) to get this and other provisions in the bill. But the success will depend on the participation of the larger community. Couple of things, (1.) we are at a critical level and we need funds, (2.) soon we will start with phone and online message campaign. Please actively participate in each of these action items. Ask others to actively participate as well. One person doing things on her/his own will not work. But collectively, we can do this.

greyhair
06-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Both senate & house need to produce an identical bill for president to sign.

House and the Senate almost never produce the identical bill in the beginning. They each pass their own bill on a subject. Then there is something called conference committee in which House and the Senate members sit together to reconcile their bill. Then they make 1 bill out of 2 separate bills. That bill goes back to the House and Senate for vote. Once the same bill is reconciled in the House and the Senate, it goes to President's desk for signature.

imh1b
06-05-2013, 10:02 AM
This is all eyewash....nothing is going to happen.

Anyways this country is so much in hole & debts that by the time we retire they will have no medicare, social security!

Time to say goodbye to Amrikaa!

With that I'm ready for lots of abuses and brickbats!

Then why are you hanging around here on this website looking for updates? Have you contributed? Just coming around here to post your arm chair criticism without doing anything. You do not even know how a bill is passed in this country. Geyhair showed you how little you know in his last post. Empty vessels make most noise. Ever heard of that?

When are you going back to your home country? Hopefully we will not see you again on the site and there will be one less application for greencard ahead of us. Thank you for leaving America.

Flyingcrow
06-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Then why are you hanging around here on this website looking for updates? Have you contributed? Just coming around here to post your arm chair criticism without doing anything. You do not even know how a bill is passed in this country. Geyhair showed you how little you know in his last post. Empty vessels make most noise. Ever heard of that?

When are you going back to your home country? Hopefully we will not see you again on the site and there will be one less application for greencard ahead of us. Thank you for leaving America.

Ah! He is just a poor soul, just trying to have fun poking and provoking people.
Plz leave him alone! Don't feed the monkeys!

saketkapur
06-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Admin....or any body plzz advise me how do I delete my posts.

This is manifatation of of my frustration been in this country for 14 years and no signs of getting a GC in near future.

I was told by my employer that they wont support my application after December 2014.

that is when my current H1 B expires have an EAD but there are no jobs in my industry.

Then do something about it and get involved. Dec 2014 is still 1.5 years away and you have already invested almost 10 times of your life into the process.
Call this your last attempt in trying to help getting the bill passed. At least you will have the satisfaction of having tried.

Flyingcrow
06-05-2013, 12:05 PM
They wont support your h1b extension probably, but they should be good with your EAD.

imh1b
06-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Ah! He is just a poor soul, just trying to have fun poking and provoking people.
Plz leave him alone! Don't feed the monkeys!

Moderators can delete my post and other posts. People who are coming to this website as trolls should be discouraged.

jetflyer
06-05-2013, 12:44 PM

He is hanging around to this website because he have some hopes, like me and you. but he is correct about on thing that it is just a political game. it is just near to impossible that they will pass immigration bill. some where it will stop.

Thanks to IV for doing all the hard work for all of us. now you will ask me , did you contributed? what did you do? my dear friend everyone wants to do something for this great cause, but not every person have resources like you.

no fighting please. i know you and Ron hira and some others are smarter then rest of us.

Jet

jetflyer
06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Path to citizenship ‘highly unlikely’ to pass House: Rep. Tom Price (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/path-citizenship-highly-unlikely-pass-house-rep-tom-160539373.html)

prince_nagi@yahoo.com
06-05-2013, 02:43 PM
House Talks on Immigration Reform Near Collapse - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/06/house-talks-on-immigration-reform-near-collapse/)

so what happens in case house is not able to produce any bill ? will it mean the CIR is dead even if Senate passes it ?

deepakd
06-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Although EB GC applicants fate have been intertwined with illegals, the fact is this that most of the common sense demands are infact right.
For example: Secure the border, don't be a burden on entitlements etc

ronhira
06-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Although EB GC applicants fate have been intertwined with illegals, the fact is this that most of the common sense demands are infact right.
For example: Secure the border, don't be a burden on entitlements etc

it is always common sense if it doesn't affect you or if you don't understand/agree.....

waitingnwaiting
06-05-2013, 06:35 PM
There are positive articles too. But some people only try to search negative articles on google and post here. Who are they? Who wants IV to fail? They must be people who will gain if no bill happens. Their business and immigration website will make more money if more people wait.

waitingnwaiting
06-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Post some positive articles then! :)

Why? So that you and people like you will analyze and over analyze .... And then say nothing will happen. You can sit in front of the computer all the time and puke. Nobody is your Slave to do what you tell to do. Who are you anyway?

I would rather spend my time to volunteer for IV. I am already doing it. So even if something negative is happening, I can try my best in my small way to help my cause. Got it?

jetflyer
06-05-2013, 07:40 PM
There are positive articles too. But some people only try to search negative articles on google and post here. Who are they? Who wants IV to fail? They must be people who will gain if no bill happens. Their business and immigration website will make more money if more people wait.

06/05/2013: House Gang of 8 Reportedly on the Blink of Collapse and House Republicans Stuck with Piecemeal Reform Option

What a disaster!

source : oh law

sage2006
06-05-2013, 07:40 PM
I can only re-iterate the message below and ask people to focus on the actions suggested below. Arguing among ourselves is a waste of time.
Several IV volunteers were on a very good conf call with the WH/President Obama today.

Please read the earlier message below on how you can be actively and positively involved in the advocacy process to help our cause.

Those in the Bay Area will be intersted in this event - http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum16-iv-agenda-and-legislative-updates/3094747-iv-newsletter-links.html#post3573251

asaxena
06-06-2013, 07:54 AM
US always had this ability ,to come up with innovative solutions ,for hard problems.
The whole immigration debate reflects a sad fact. The growing inability to take tough decisions and resolve difficult issues.

ronhira
06-06-2013, 09:12 AM
US always had this ability ,to come up with innovative solutions ,for hard problems.
The whole immigration debate reflects a sad fact. The growing inability to take tough decisions and resolve difficult issues.

why r u so pessimitic? already concluded that no one will tough decisions to resolve issues..... this is the beginning of the process.... large social changes take time to happen... your conclusion that people are no longer making difficult decisions is premature..... lawmakers take tough decisions everyday...

spicy_guy
06-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Just ignore all the -ve emotions here. Lets work with IV and ourselves.

Mau
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
06/10 is Monday .

Not Tuesday .

Your source is ______

just kiddin.

The Alchemist
06-06-2013, 10:28 PM

On June 7th: Senate will convene at 9:30 am to begin debate on the Motion to Proceed to S. 744. Until 1:30 pm, Sen. Sessions will get to use 3 hours, and the Majority Leader will utilize the remaining time.

On June 10th: Senate will resume consideration of the Motion to Proceed to S. 744. The time until 5:00 pm will be equally divided, with Sen. Sessions or his designee controlling 2 hours and Sen. Leahy or his designee controlling the remaining time.

On June 11th: Senate will resume consideration of the Motion to Proceed to S. 744, with the time until 12:30 pm equally divided and Senator Sessions controlling up to 1 hour. At 12:30 pm, the Senate will recess until 2:15 pm. At 2:15 pm, there will be a cloture vote on the Motion to Proceed to S. 744; and if cloture is invoked at 4:00 pm, there will be a vote on the Motion to Proceed to S. 744

A message for our Bay Area members:
If you are around Bay Area on Friday 06/07/2013 then stop by the following restaurant at 6:30 PM PST.

Dosa N Biryani
250 E Java Dr
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Phone: (408) 400-0007

Aman will be available to take questions, outline our strategy going forward and also brief you about our conference call with President Obama yesterday.

Refreshments will be served, thanks to our generous volunteers.

prince_nagi@yahoo.com
06-07-2013, 12:43 AM

On June 7th: Senate will convene at 9:30 am to begin debate on the Motion to Proceed to S. 744. Until 1:30 pm, Sen. Sessions will get to use 3 hours, and the Majority Leader will utilize the remaining time.

On June 10th: Senate will resume consideration of the Motion to Proceed to S. 744. The time until 5:00 pm will be equally divided, with Sen. Sessions or his designee controlling 2 hours and Sen. Leahy or his designee controlling the remaining time.

On June 11th: Senate will resume consideration of the Motion to Proceed to S. 744, with the time until 12:30 pm equally divided and Senator Sessions controlling up to 1 hour. At 12:30 pm, the Senate will recess until 2:15 pm. At 2:15 pm, there will be a cloture vote on the Motion to Proceed to S. 744; and if cloture is invoked at 4:00 pm, there will be a vote on the Motion to Proceed to S. 744

A message for our Bay Area members:
If you are around Bay Area on Friday 06/07/2013 then stop by the following restaurant at 6:30 PM PST.

Dosa N Biryani
250 E Java Dr
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Phone: (408) 400-0007

Aman will be available to take questions, outline our strategy going forward and also brief you about our conference call with President Obama yesterday.

Refreshments will be served, thanks to our generous volunteers.

Can some one update discussion points for people who cannot join ...

pappu
06-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Can some one update discussion points for people who cannot join ...

Updates are not posted on public forum. Volunteers get regular updates through meetings and local action items. Please check the last newsletter to participate as volunteer in your local area. There is a lot we are doing in every state these days at grassroots level instead of public website. We are getting a lot of advocacy results and member participation by focussing on grassroots level.

aswami
06-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Good summary by bpratap in the quote below of what is included in this bill. I have seen many people request for the 5-year limit on STEM graduates to be removed, but I wonder if they understand the reasons why the 5-year limit was put there in the first place. Let me see if I can offer an explanation. And people negatively affected by this limit - kindly don't flame me. I am just trying to offer an explanation. Not supporting it or opposing you. Let's consider how this 5-year limit affects several different types of STEM graduates:

For STEM graduates who passed less than 5 years ago and who think their employers will file for their green cards in the 6th year:

This is one of the biggest reasons I have been reading for removing the 5-year limit. Actually, I think the very reason to put in the 5-year limit is exactly to avoid this type of a situation. If your employer has decided to keep you as a permanent employee, they should file for your green card immediately, instead of waiting for the 6th year deadline to arrive. Filing for green card six months to 1 year after taking up the job is an ideal situation. You should push for it, or you should find a different employer who will do that. Employers who refuse to file for your green card until the very end of the 6 year period are actually being very unfair to you. They are literally holding your life back from moving forward. It is also suspicious because the H1B is supposed to be a temporary worker visa and if they keep you on it for such a long time, they are essentially conveying that for whatever reason, they want keep you quasi-temporary. Finally, with the CIR, there is a disincentive for the companies to not file for your green card because without such filing, you will be considered a H1B employee and there are a lot of provisions in the CIR that try to discourage companies from having too many H1Bs or keeping employees on H1B for too long, including financial and procedural penalties. In summary, this 5-year limit and many other provisions in the CIR are actually designed to discourage the practice of employers slowing down your immigration process. So, it is to your advantage. In spite of all this, if your employer files your green card only in the 6th year of your H1B, rest assured that all the other provisions in CIR will help you to get the green card sooner than the 6 years that your employer made you to wait. Probably much sooner, although we cannot speculate on what the wait times will be 6-10 years from now. In this case, instead of being angry at the government for making you wait 2-4 years, you should be angry at yourself and your employer for wasting 6 years in H1B limbo.

For STEM graduates who have passed the 5-year limit and are working in the US:

Most of these people would already have their green card application in process. If this law passes, they will get their green card very quickly due to all the provisions which have been listed in the quoted post below. It won't make a big difference for them even if the 5-year limit is removed.

For STEM graduates who have passed the 5-year limit and have left the US:

I saw at least one post on this forum which advocated the removal of the 5-year limit so that older US STEM graduates who are outside the country can easily immigrate back in. The first thing to remember is that if these people have been out of the country for over 5 years after graduating, either they couldn't find a suitable job in the US or they didn't want to be in the US. That being the case, if they want to return back to the US, they should go through the process of proving that there are jobs in the country that need them. That is what H1B process is designed to do, especially the latest revisions that CIR introduces. If the 5-year limit were not there, these people could short-circuit the process and take advantage of the immediate green card for STEM graduates option. All of a sudden, the US market would be flooded with these older, more experienced STEM guys at the expense of opportunities for younger people. This is not a desirable situation. Truth be told, I am afraid that this easy green card for STEM graduates provision will convert many US universities into graduate mills for those who are just seeking to immigrate to the US. But that's a topic for another day.

Are there any other groups of STEM graduates that are missed in the above explanation?

All in all, I think the 5-year limit has been included in the CIR deliberately for the above reasons. So, if an amendment to remove that limit is to be accepted, such amendment should include provisions for taking care of all the above factors I have listed. Otherwise, I don't think the lawmakers will accept an amendment to remove the 5-year limit. Once again, I am just trying to offer an explanation. Not supporting the 5-year limit or opposing you. So, please don't flame me.

I am not sure, if you are trying to fit yourself in one specific case. in whole picture,

IF immigration bill passes, it will have provisions for

recapture of wasted Visas
dependents excluded from VISA numbers
removal of country Quota.
Most of the EB1 excluded from VISA Numbers.
STEM Grads/ Phd's excluded from VISA Numbers.
Provision which will force employer to file for GC in the first year of employment, to avoid H1B dependent employer label & inviting $5k - $10k additional fees. -- as Amended
H1B Employee will get to file I-140 + I-485, as soon as labor is approved (employee mobility) -- as Amended

While it is good to have all our wish list including 5yr STEM exemption, in the bill, don't you think these existing provisions which are already in the bill will solve the most of the issues, you are trying to address ?

I believe we (IV) should be concentrating more to make sure, these provisions are not dropped off in the long legislative process. and also to dedicate our efforts to get the implementation date moved up as much as possible, instead of October, 2015.

greendream26
06-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Positive article on states doing changes in immigration laws..... Which means they know S.744 will pass

States Work To Improve Immigration Policies As Senate Immigration Bill Debate Begins » Immigration Impact (http://immigrationimpact.com/2013/06/07/states-work-to-improve-immigration-policies-as-senate-immigration-bill-debate-begins/#more-13651)

radsow
06-08-2013, 11:22 AM

IV team

Any update on this effective date as we are nearing the Senate debate next week

LglImi
06-08-2013, 05:47 PM
IV team

Any update on this effective date as we are nearing the Senate debate next week

Email your state IV team to volunteer, go meet your congressman(or staffers in his/her office), volunteer with your local IV team - you will automatically get updates from there.....

somberi
06-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Politics and Policy - Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com (http://stream.wsj.com/story/campaign-2012-continuous-coverage/SS-2-9156/)

greendream26
06-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Politics and Policy - Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com (http://stream.wsj.com/story/campaign-2012-continuous-coverage/SS-2-9156/)

Link not working!!!

The WalL
06-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Read earlier that the Senate will hold a preliminary vote at 2.15pm ET on Tuesday. That's the first sign of support the bill will enjoy on the eventual vote to pass. So far, its been easy to get 60 votes to ensure the cloture will go through. Keep an eye for anyone not part of the Gang of 8 and Kelly Ayotte that votes for the motion tomorrow. Those are the likely targets for the eventual passing of the bill. This bill will need to get over 70 votes in the Senate for the House to act on it. Anything over 77 means there will be majority support from both parties in the Senate for this bill...and that's very important because it sends out a strong message that this bill truly has bipartisan support.

dhakaldoo
06-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum to post.

$100 Donation
Your receipt number for this payment is: 4186-3033-2435-5433.

Details sent to IV core.

chakdepatte
06-11-2013, 12:10 PM
is nailing it.

MK1981
06-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Immigration is a driving force in American economy, Obama says - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Immigration-is-a-driving-force-in-American-economy-Obama-says/articleshow/20543522.cms)

sandy_anand
06-11-2013, 02:31 PM
As gabbar singh would say

Kab hein voting?

voting kab hein?

Going on right now

Live Video - C-SPAN2 | C-SPAN (http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/)

sandy_anand
06-11-2013, 02:33 PM
82 Yays

15 No's

Motion passed. Sen.Schumer speaking right now.