PDA

View Full Version : Back Wages

kmoorjani
05-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Hi,

I worked with an employer starting in March 2009 till October 2011. From March 2009 till September 2009, I was on a student visa (OPT). From October 2009 till October 2011 I was on H1B visa.

The employer promised me to pay $68,000 per year and paid me less than 50%. Now I have transferred my H1B successfully and work with a new employer since then. I called DOL about back wages and they said they would not help me as the case is more than 12 months old.

They advised me to hire an attorney who could represent me and help me recover back wages. I have a copy of my petition and W2's. I saw this website and decided to get a view from here. Please let me know what is best.

Thanks!!

spicy_guy
05-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Hi,

I worked with an employer starting in March 2009 till October 2011. From March 2009 till September 2009, I was on a student visa (OPT). From October 2009 till October 2011 I was on H1B visa.

The employer promised me to pay $68,000 per year and paid me less than 50%. Now I have transferred my H1B successfully and work with a new employer since then. I called DOL about back wages and they said they would not help me as the case is more than 12 months old.

They advised me to hire an attorney who could represent me and help me recover back wages. I have a copy of my petition and W2's. I saw this website and decided to get a view from here. Please let me know what is best.

Thanks!!

This is kind of abuse. BTW, have you been just waiting and hoping your employer pay the remaining salary all at once? Monthly you are getting half the amount then, why were you so silent?

Do you have a proof 68K offer? You said half the salary. Thats more 20K. You need to get a lawyer.

Before that talk to your employer and ask about when he would pay the remaining salary. Keep everything in email. No phone calls.

Insist him on answer. If you get any negative answer, then tell them you will take a legal route. If no use, then you really need to get a lawyer. Its a lot of money.

But one thing that may bite back at you is, what have you been doing for so long when you were getting paid less than promised salary.

kmoorjani
05-01-2013, 07:45 PM
I was waiting for my visa to get transferred and then figure out if a case against this employer might impact my status.

If there is any lawyer here who can help me out and has been involved in cases like these, please let me know and we can proceed accordingly.

spicy_guy
05-02-2013, 03:34 PM
I was waiting for my visa to get transferred and then figure out if a case against this employer might impact my status.

If there is any lawyer here who can help me out and has been involved in cases like these, please let me know and we can proceed accordingly.

You can reach out to Murthy. Murthy.com