PDA

View Full Version : Physicians and CIR

bibliophile2020
04-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Where do physicians fit in the new CIR? Do they come under STEM, special immigrants? Association of Physicians of India is pushing for GC to all physicians graduating from US residency. I hope this will be included in the final bill.

abcdgc
04-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Where do physicians fit in the new CIR? Do they come under STEM, special immigrants? Association of Physicians of India is pushing for GC to all physicians graduating from US residency. I hope this will be included in the final bill.

Don't be fooled. The organization you are referring too has nothing to do with GC for physicians. IV Physicians group has worked for years to create awareness about these issue. The group you are referring has too many folks who own doctor's consultancy and small and mid size clinics etc, and they employ doctors, and those doctor consulting companies (like IT consulting companies) do not want GC process to speed up. Infact some of the people you are referring are probably asking for more numbers and not to speed up GC process. Don't be fooled by what's on the surface. Appearances are deceptive.

Because I know this first hand, I did not want to leave your thread unanswered. Therefore wanted to respond to you even at the cost of being redundant.

bibliophile2020
04-17-2013, 08:34 PM
I agree AAPI never cared about immigration issues related to Indian physicians. Its very unfair to stand in the back of the line after going through 3-5 years of residency and another 3-5 years of fellowship. The least we can expect is exemption from numerical limits. Not sure if physicians are going to be counted under STEM category. There are some provisions for physicians on J1 waiver but nothing for others.

honest123
04-19-2013, 11:24 AM
As far as I know, foreign students graduating in US medical school or Pharmacy school are very difficult to get post-doctorate degree residency because those residency only give to US green card people. Therefore, those foreign students cannot gain entry to US to do residency. Suppose they get residency, they will be granted one-year J-1 visa but NOT
H-1B visa. After J-1 visa, it does NOT guarantee that those hospitals will accept those residency foreign students to get a job under H-1B visa.

Also, most States in US only grant health professional licenses to US green card people but NOT foreign students graduating in US medical field such as Doctorate degrees in medicine and pharmacy---why? It is because they think that medicine and pharmacy are both unique academic majors which are specific to the country and therefore, those licenses are only granted to US green card people. However, foreign students are still admitted to those medical field degrees in US universities with extremely high competitive admission but without granting green cards to foreign students. So foreign students usually graduate those degrees and bring degrees back home but without US licenses to transfer back to their home countries for another home countries health professional exam (it means that US licenses are entry requirement to take those health professional exam in their home countries) and without taking those health professional exam in their home countries and they cannot get a job in medical field in their home countries. Then their US health professional degrees are totally wasted.

In Canada, all people who have medical degrees and Pharmacy degrees must have Canada permanent residency because Canada think that those medical and pharmacy degrees are their country's specialties.

Personally I do think those foreign students studying doctorate of medicine and pharmacy in US universities must be granted US green cards based on the above mentioned "health professional licenses belonged to US green card people only". Unluckily no one proposed this in the coming new CIR.

eastindia
04-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Unluckily no one proposed this in the coming new CIR.

Its too late to ask. But the question is how many if any Senators have you and people who think your issue is important have met? For me my issue of getting my greencard is important and that is why I went to advocacy days, did training and recently went to local lawmaker meeting with another IV member. I also contribute monthly. I am not bragging but telling people who complain after the fact and think that they can influence law making by writing on forums that they are making a mistake.