PDA

View Full Version : Visitor visa - Port of Entry

itsmeusa
02-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Hello, I am on H-1B and live on east coast. I have sponsored my mom's visitor visa (10 years) in 2011. She visited in 2011 for first time.

Now my brother, UCLA grad student, would like to invite her for 2/3 weeks. After that, she would fly to east coast to stay with me.

We are going to give her letters to show to Immigration Officer at POE at LA - my brother inviting her to stay with him for couple of weeks and my letter explaining that I will be taking care of all expenses.

My question is - is it possible for my mom to fly to LA (west coast) even if I live on east coast? Do you have experience if this would create any problem at POE?

Thanks for your help.

nrmarrivada9
02-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Going by my mom-in-law's experience (she has been through the same scenario that you described), your mom shouldn't face any problem at the POE.

All the best,
Naveen

itsmeusa
02-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Awesome. Thanks Naveen.

vijay_aswani
02-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Nope. As long as you have provided letters showing that you are financing/supporting her, there will be no problems at all.

Just make sure, your mom has both your contact information handy for the officer.

itsmeusa
02-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Great. Thank you vijay_aswani

GCNeophyte
02-26-2013, 02:57 PM
My question is - is it possible for my mom to fly to LA (west coast) even if I live on east coast? Do you have experience if this would create any problem at POE?

Thanks for your help.

at POE for visitors, officers checks for following

1. If visitors have valid VISA stamped on passport.
2. If visitors are abusing VISA with frequent trips within short spans.
3. Officer may ask "How long you are planning to stay?" Desi response.. around 6 months.
4. As long as they have valid VISA, they can land anywhere in USA and travel to different places.

as far as my knowledge goes officers don't ask any extra documentation like (affidivit of support etc.,)

FYI... Don't provide any additional details than what is requested, this may cause delays as IO needs look & understand these extra documents.