PDA

View Full Version : Fairness for high-skilled Immigration : We applaud Rep. Chaffetz, Lofgren & Labrador

Administrator2
02-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Immigration Voice applaud Rep. Jason Chaffetz, Rep Lofgren and Rep Labrador for introducing Fairness for High-Skilled Immigration Act - the bill to eliminate per-country limits.

We are grateful that Rep. Jason Chaffetz decided to sponsor this very important bill, and Rep Lofgren and Rep Labrador decided to be original co-sponsors, for eliminating discriminatory country caps and enabling immigrants to be processed fairly. This legislation will provide relief to immigrants stuck in decades-long backlogs and provide a real boost to U.S. competitiveness by freeing the entrepreneurial potential of high-skilled immigrants. We urge the House and the Senate to pass this important bill without delay.

Fairness for High-Skilled Immigration bill, which passed the U.S. House of Representatives in the 112th Congress with overwhelming bipartisan vote of 389 to 15, would phase out the limits on the numbers of employment-based green cards that can be given to immigrants from any one country. Current law limits any one country to 7% of employment-based permanent resident visas, causing enormous backlogs for legal immigrants from certain large countries that provide America with substantial numbers of skilled immigrants. Additionally, the bill adjusts upward the per country caps for family-based visas from 7% to 15%.

hello
02-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Immigration Voice applaud Rep. Jason Chaffetz, Rep Lofgren and Rep Labrador for introducing Fairness for High-Skilled Immigration Act - the bill to eliminate per-country limits.

We are grateful that Rep. Jason Chaffetz decided to sponsor this very important bill, and Rep Lofgren and Rep Labrador decided to be original co-sponsors, for eliminating discriminatory country caps and enabling immigrants to be processed fairly. This legislation will provide relief to immigrants stuck in decades-long backlogs and provide a real boost to U.S. competitiveness by freeing the entrepreneurial potential of high-skilled immigrants. We urge the House and the Senate to pass this important bill without delay.

Fairness for High-Skilled Immigration bill, which passed the U.S. House of Representatives in the 112th Congress with overwhelming bipartisan vote of 389 to 15, would phase out the limits on the numbers of employment-based green cards that can be given to immigrants from any one country. Current law limits any one country to 7% of employment-based permanent resident visas, causing enormous backlogs for legal immigrants from certain large countries that provide America with substantial numbers of skilled immigrants. Additionally, the bill adjusts upward the per country caps for family-based visas from 7% to 15%.
Admin,do they have H1B(Sen G) proposals in this bill?Does IV want them to vote on this?

ronhira
02-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Ofcourse , my opinion doesn't matter , it is upto to hands of US citizens , their congress and President to decide , i am just another guest worker present legally in this country since 12 years so excuse me if i am not getting it .

excused

gk_2000
02-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Admin,do they have H1B(Sen G) proposals in this bill?Does IV want them to vote on this?

Interesting qs ..

wbinewbie
02-13-2013, 07:34 PM
This will likely get past the house smooth sailing this time too, especially since the house repubs want to look like they are doing something. Its in the senate that the devils with the 'various holds' await....

Flyingcrow
02-13-2013, 07:47 PM
But without the other two: number recapture, exclusion of fly members how far will it help? Admin as
balbirbagdu pointed out, we already have the Immigration Innovation bill isn't? Now why is this separate one, and is this about removing it over the 3-4 yrs time frame? Kindly explain.

avinashchand
02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
In essence, its re-birth of HR 3012. As the voices are being echoed from multiple corners, looks like something is going to happen positively this time.;)

pappu
02-13-2013, 08:45 PM
This will likely get past the house smooth sailing this time too, especially since the house repubs want to look like they are doing something. Its in the senate that the devils with the 'various holds' await....

When they talk about undocumented some guys here were saying what about documented.

When CIR was being discussed, some guys here said CIR will fail bluntly as if they are legislation experts.

When country limit bill, the easiest of all is introduced specifically for EB, documented folks people are being negative.

Do you guys want any bill to pass?:D
What do you guys want and are willing to do for it. At least appreciate when something positive is happening. Be positive, give your best shot and hope for the best. Outcome is not in our hands but efforts are.

avinashchand
02-13-2013, 08:49 PM
When they talk about undocumented some guys here were saying what about documented.

When CIR was being discussed, some guys here said CIR will fail bluntly as if they are legislation experts.

When country limit bill, the easiest of all is introduced specifically for EB documents , documented folks people are being negative.

What do you guys want and are willing to do for it. At least appreciate when something positive is happening. Be positive, give your best shot and hope for the best. Outcome is not in our hands but efforts are.

totally agreed...:)

wbinewbie
02-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Agree too. Let me not let my cynicism and. Negativity rub off. Let's be positive and hope for the best

When country limit bill, the easiest of all is introduced specifically for EB documents , documented folks people are being negative.

pak
02-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Mike Lee introduces comprehensive immigration reform bills | St. George News | STGnews.comSt. George News | STGnews.com (http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2013/02/13/sen-mike-lee-introduces-comprehensive-immigration-reform-bills/)

bpratap
02-13-2013, 10:31 PM

gk_2000
02-13-2013, 10:45 PM

When country limit bill, the easiest of all is introduced specifically for EB, documented folks people are being negative.

It is testing, with so many ups and downs.. certainly most of us didn't realize it would be such a long haul. It is like a marathon run of unspecified distance -- like they make the military trainees do ... have you watched "Surviving the cut" on netflix? :)

avinashchand
02-13-2013, 11:13 PM
It is testing, with so many ups and downs.. certainly most of us didn't realize it would be such a long haul. It is like a marathon run of unspecified distance -- like they make the military trainees do ... have you watched "Surviving the cut" on netflix? :)

and why on netflix??? its available on amazon too.

GC_for_All
02-13-2013, 11:27 PM

Agreed. I appreciate everything you guys are doing. Thanks a lot

gk_2000
02-14-2013, 01:13 AM
and why on netflix??? its available on amazon too.

Shhhh I bought shares of netflix thats why but done tell anyone :p

dhakaldoo
02-14-2013, 07:47 AM
shhhh i bought shares of netflix thats why but done tell anyone :p

lol!!! :d

Flyingcrow
02-14-2013, 08:14 AM
What is that which Mr.Mark Lee sponsored yesterday? Is it one more bill other than HR633?

baleraosreedhar
02-14-2013, 08:41 AM
I hope at least this bill will pass the house and senate and bring the " Change" president is talking about.

avinashchand
02-14-2013, 08:51 AM
shhhh i bought shares of netflix thats why but done tell anyone :p

एक शर्त पर ...... अगर मुझे भी उसमे से हिस्सा दो तब ..

sdeshpan
02-14-2013, 08:54 AM
What is that which Mr.Mark Lee sponsored yesterday? Is it one more bill other than HR633?
Sen. Mike Lee introduced the companion bill to HR 633 in the Senate

spicy_guy
02-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Do they realize its HR3012, which passed the house with overwhelming support? or they think its a new bill and unknowingly shoot it down?

waitingnwaiting
02-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Do they realize its HR3012, which passed the house with overwhelming support? or they think its a new bill and unknowingly shoot it down?

It is a new congress so same bill just new number. It could pass in like 5 minutes because it has already passed last year. This is what someone told me. It's just procedure and nothing to worry. HR3012 was never dead, it's just in new clothes and can pass if CIR has problems. So good times.

dhakaldoo
02-14-2013, 09:40 AM
It is a new congress so same bill just new number. It could pass in like 5 minutes because it has already passed last year. This is what someone told me. It's just procedure and nothing to worry. HR3012 was never dead, it's just in new clothes and can pass if CIR has problems. So good times.

That is correct. I think its a place holder incase CIR fails.
But I hope the CIR passes guys! we need to be ready for CIR action items if any ..

Flyingcrow
02-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Sen. Mike Lee introduced the companion bill to HR 633 in the Senate

Thanks sdeshpan. I will have to google what that means! :rolleyes:

dhakaldoo
02-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks sdeshpan. I will have to google what that means! :rolleyes:

From my limited knowledge

A companion bill is Similar or exact same bill is introduced in Senate to save time. For a bill to become a law, it needs to be passed by both House and Senate.
Usually when a bill is introduced in house (starting with HR) it needs to be passed by the house before it can move to senate for vote.
To save time sometimes a companion bill is introduced in other wing so that both wings can work on bills simultaneously and pass it faster instead of waiting one wing to pass it.

gk_2000
02-14-2013, 03:34 PM
एक शर्त पर ...... अगर मुझे भी उसमे से हिस्सा दो तब ..

Yes of course bro

quasar81
02-14-2013, 06:50 PM
We should thank Republicans more than democrats. Republicans have all supported the best skilled bill so far I.e. Immigration Innovation Act of 2013 (I2 Act).

Democrats all blocked it....and have always presented worse bills than republican I2 bills.

Thanks to Senators Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Marco Rubio (R-FL), and Chris Coons (D-DE).

gk_2000
02-14-2013, 07:16 PM
We should thank Republicans more than democrats. Republicans have all supported the best skilled bill so far I.e. Immigration Innovation Act of 2013 (I2 Act).

Democrats all blocked it....and have always presented worse bills than republican I2 bills.

Thanks to Senators Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Marco Rubio (R-FL), and Chris Coons (D-DE).

In fact, none of them are looking out for us. Politicians in the entire universe, care for 1 thing and 1 thing only ---- their chair
All their actions are motivated on their calculations -- about how many votes they will capture or yield.
Just like "life is not fair" and yet we continue to live, so also "there is no politician who is a friend" and yet we must just persist and remind them that we exist and we matter -- considering nobody an ally or foe forever

quasar81
02-14-2013, 08:13 PM
In fact, none of them are looking out for us. Politicians in the entire universe, care for 1 thing and 1 thing only ---- their chair
All their actions are motivated on their calculations -- about how many votes they will capture or yield.
Just like "life is not fair" and yet we continue to live, so also "there is no politician who is a friend" and yet we must just persist and remind them that we exist and we matter -- considering nobody an ally or foe forever

None are friend, but republicans are for skilled part of CIR...democrats for illegal part....

Flyingcrow
02-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks Dhakaldoo!

imh1b
02-14-2013, 08:28 PM
None are friend, but republicans are for skilled part of CIR...democrats for illegal part....

............ and you are only for your greed of greencard. You do not care about anything else in the country. Isn't it? You are trying to be a part of this country and you have no respect for its political way of doing things democratically. What kind of assimilation will you do? In a way it is good some of us are made to wait for many years. At least they will learn their lesson and become better citizens here. USA is the best country in the world and that is why you and me want to come and settle here. Learn to respect. It is not your birthright or my birthright to get a greencard. So what if you paid taxes. You used its roads, schools, hospitals. God bless America.

avinashchand
02-14-2013, 08:48 PM
............ and you are only for your greed of greencard. You do not care about anything else in the country. Isn't it? You are trying to be a part of this country and you have no respect for its political way of doing things democratically. What kind of assimilation will you do? In a way it is good some of us are made to wait for many years. At least they will learn their lesson and become better citizens here. USA is the best country in the world and that is why you and me want to come and settle here. Learn to respect. It is not your birthright or my birthright to get a greencard. So what if you paid taxes. You used its roads, schools, hospitals. God bless America.

truly said bro..

amitskumar
02-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Here are the links :

Popvox - https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/hr633

Open Congress - H.R.633: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the per-country numerical limitation for... OpenCongress (http://www.opencongress.org/bill/113-h633/show)

SGP
02-15-2013, 05:49 AM
Here are the links :

Open Congress - H.R.633: To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to eliminate the per-country numerical limitation for... OpenCongress (http://www.opencongress.org/bill/113-h633/show)

Done.

mygc2007
02-15-2013, 07:46 AM
There is a lot of noise right now and the best thing most of us can do it to wholeheartedly support IV by contributing monetarily or volunteering. Let us give this the best we have. There is sufficient support even with all the noise. Go IV!

Suva
02-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Done.

Flyingcrow
02-15-2013, 09:12 AM
50 for, 23 against at the moment, what is the point of such online petitions, where an email is the identity, and it does not cost a cent to own one.

Flyingcrow
02-15-2013, 09:14 AM
And if you look at the negative comments, folks have no clue what the bill is about. They are talking the undocumented, border, blah blah!

pd052011
02-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Done.

iam4u4ever
02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Rubio, Norquist Push Back Against Anti-Immigration Groups - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/Politics/rubio-norquist-push-back-anti-immigration-groups/story?id=18501953)

Several prominent Republicans are trying to push immigration restrictionist groups to the fringe of the debate by challenging their conservative credentials and attacking their stance on population control, The Washington Post reports.

GOP heavyweights like Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and power broker Grover Norquist are backing an effort to inform conservatives about the history of groups like the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), NumbersUSA and the Center for Immigration Studies (CIS).

All three groups share a common link: they were incubated by John Tanton, a Michigan ophthalmologist whose commitment to the environment led him to an unlikely crusade against immigration that started three decades ago and continues today. Tanton helped found the groups under the belief that immigration threatens nature in the U.S. since it increases the population.

Those organizations are now the leading conservative voices against immigration, both legal and illegal, and have received the endorsement of Republicans like Senators Lamar Smith (R-Texas) and Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.). A representative from one of the groups, CIS, testified at recent immigration hearings in the Senate and House.

The push to discredit the groups also involves officials from the Catholic Church, the Post reported.

Catholic groups, as with other faiths, have backed immigration reform in the interests of migrant rights. But in this instance, the history that these restrictionist groups have with population control could also be a factor. Before Tanton started FAIR in 1979, he founded a local chapter of Planned Parenthood in his Michigan community and was president of a national group called Zero Population Growth, The New York Times reported in 2011. The group is now called Population Connection and advocates for access to birth control for women around the world, among other things.

FAIR, NumbersUSA and CIS told The Washington Post they have no official position on abortion and contend that they are focused on immigration, not restricting population growth. Ira Mehlman, a spokesman for FAIR, told the newspaper that his organization "is not a population group, it's an immigration policy group."

But opponents within the GOP aren't buying that.

From WaPo:

The critics, however, argue that the three groups have misled conservatives. These critics point to reports on the FAIR and Numbers USA Web sites, for instance, that warn of environmental devastation from unchecked population growth, and they are circulating a 1993 report by CIS researchers sympathetic to contraception and the RU-486 abortion pill.

Brad Bailey, the co-founder and CEO of Texas Immigration Solution, a conservative group backing immigration reform, believes that the three immigration restrictionist groups have "hijacked the issue" within the party.

Administrator2
02-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Here are the links :

We would request all IV members to please do not spend time voting in this online petition. It doesn't mean anything.

pappu
02-15-2013, 11:11 AM
50 for, 23 against at the moment, what is the point of such online petitions, where an email is the identity, and it does not cost a cent to own one.

Email address has a value. They are all useless sites in my opinion. Laws do not get passed because someone has pressed support on a website with an annonymous email address.

However the sites could be collecting the email address and turns into profit. How else can you get an email list of people who are politically inclined. Anyone wishing to send email blasts or offers for political purposes or on issues could benefit from such email lists.

I was hoping our folks are smart people and will not be spamming forums with such online petitions or voting websites. At least people on IV website are more aware of how bills a passed in the country. Despite telling this in multiple posts, people still continue to posts such links.

Amman
02-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Report: White House immigration bill in the works

Not seeing a word about legals in this report. may be complete draft includes something for legals.

Report: Bill would set an 8-year path to residency - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/report-bill-set-8-path-033430191.html)

residency.now
02-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Report: White House immigration bill in the works

Not seeing a word about legals in this report. may be complete draft includes something for legals.

Report: Bill would set an 8-year path to residency - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/report-bill-set-8-path-033430191.html)

Just a correction, Yahoo's headline is not entirely correct. They won't become residents in 8 years. They will become eligible to apply for residency in 8 years. And as we all know, there's a long wait b/w applying for and actually getting a green card.

gk_2000
02-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Just a correction, Yahoo's headline is not entirely correct. They won't become residents in 8 years. They will become eligible to apply for residency in 8 years. And as we all know, there's a long wait b/w applying for and actually getting a green card.

They will get EAD right now ..... and would die for an ead isnt it?

GC_for_All
02-17-2013, 05:22 PM
They will get EAD right now ..... and would die for an ead isnt it?

Still it is so unfiar, people on H1 will still be on H1 for a while and H4's can not get EAD until the dates are current. I guess this is how it has to be.

indigokiwi
02-19-2013, 01:43 PM
This article was published yesterday in the Washington Post:
Other countries court skilled immigrants frustrated by U.S. visa laws - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/other-countries-court-skilled-immigrants-frustrated-by-us-visa-laws/2013/02/18/73d9f7ce-7137-11e2-ac36-3d8d9dcaa2e2_story.html)
Excerpt: The contraption sits in a basement lab at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a mishmash of hoses, wires, whirring pumps and a 12-foot-high plastic tower filled with steam and dripping water, all set on plastic milk crates.

It looks like a high school science project, but it was developed by two postdoctoral mechanical engineers at MIT. And it just might be a breakthrough that creates wealth and jobs in the United States and transforms the white-hot industry of oil and natural gas hydraulic fracturing, or fracking.

That is, as long as the foreign-born inventors arenít forced to leave the country.

gk_2000
02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Still it is so unfiar, people on H1 will still be on H1 for a while and H4's can not get EAD until the dates are current. I guess this is how it has to be.

This is exactly what I meant. While we wait it out for the PD to be current, "they" will get their EAD's right now! It this happens, we should not take it lying down, and I would hope we can organize big protest rally and demand same treatment..

unluckydude
02-19-2013, 03:17 PM
This is exactly what I meant. While we wait it out for the PD to be current, "they" will get their EAD's right now! It this happens, we should not take it lying down, and I would hope we can organize big protest rally and demand same treatment..

Why same treatment? Then what is the incentive for coming into the country legally, pay taxes, follow the rules etc.. why should we demand same treatment. Don't we all need a better treatment? Why not ask for citizenship for people who are here longer legally and still did not get a permanent resident status. Is there anything wrong in asking this?

pd052011
02-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Why same treatment? Then what is the incentive for coming into the country legally, pay taxes, follow the rules etc.. why should we demand same treatment. Don't we all need a better treatment? Why not ask for citizenship for people who are here longer legally and still did not get a permanent resident status. Is there anything wrong in asking this?

Because there is strength in numbers and they have the numbers which we, unfortunately, do not. Also, the magnitude of the problem is much bigger in the case of the undocumented.

unluckydude
02-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Because there is strength in numbers and they have the numbers which we, unfortunately, do not. Also, the magnitude of the problem is much bigger in the case of the undocumented.

Obama’s backup immigration reform bill: 13-year max for citizenship | The Ticket - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-backup-immigration-reform-bill-13-max-citizenship-210341024.html)

Undocumented to get Citizenship in 13 years. Documented and 13+ years.....still no GC :mad:

waitingnwaiting
02-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Obama’s backup immigration reform bill: 13-year max for citizenship | The Ticket - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-backup-immigration-reform-bill-13-max-citizenship-210341024.html)

Undocumented to get Citizenship in 13 years. Documented and 13+ years.....still no GC :mad:

Because documented do not want citizenship. They want to know when EB2 priority date of June 2009 will get current. If it is not getting current lets ban all porters from EB3 and ban EB1C multinational managers. EB3 suffer from inferiority complex of not getting EB2 and say they are smarter. H1s like one member Jetflier only wants EAD for his wife more important than greencard.

Undocumented want citizenship. They are smarter than us because they aim high.

pd052011
02-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Call me a cynic but I have a feeling even STEM M.S. grads wont be included in a bill. It will be STEM PhDs and that's it. I hope I am wrong.

unluckydude
02-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Because documented do not want citizenship. They want to know when EB2 priority date of June 2009 will get current. If it is not getting current lets ban all porters from EB3 and ban EB1C multinational managers. EB3 suffer from inferiority complex of not getting EB2 and say they are smarter. H1s like one member Jetflier only wants EAD for his wife more important than greencard.

Undocumented want citizenship. They are smarter than us because they aim high.

stop finger pointing .....seriously.

Lets focus our attention and work with IV to achieve our common goal.

Only crying baby gets.......?

waitingnwaiting
02-19-2013, 04:54 PM
stop finger pointing .....seriously.

Lets focus our attention and work with IV to achieve our common goal.

Only crying baby gets.......?

We cannot run away from truth by taking a high pedestal. There are hundreds of threads about my claim on forums and you can see how popular they are. How can we educate those people?

India_the_BEST
02-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Call me a cynic but I have a feeling even STEM M.S. grads wont be included in a bill. It will be STEM PhDs and that's it. I hope I am wrong.
You are not a cynic! You have a power to see the future.

Save money folks and invest in few properties in India fast before it gets too late and get the hell out of here...

greyhair
02-19-2013, 09:29 PM
You are not a cynic! You have a power to see the future.

Save money folks and invest in few properties in India fast before it gets too late and get the hell out of here...

Troll alert. Anti-immigrant on the loose.

Gemini13
02-22-2013, 10:39 AM

Sorry buddy, they will get GC as soon as eligible, because CAP has been eliminated for them. Go read all past CIR bills - 2010, 2011, 2012. CAP are eliminated for them and EAD to whole family immediately when CIR passes. 2013 bill won't be different as it is same people writing it, only difference this time it will pass ... Here we are fighting about per country limits, nobody talking about EAD as soon as PERM approved etc. standards are just set low by us legals. BTW, I am not on any EB, way out of this mess. Just trying to tell legals here to set standards high... This is the moment for you guys. Don't fight among EB2, EB3, STEM, non-STEM, etc...

waitingnwaiting
02-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Dude Gemini why are you wasting time here if you are not one of us? You are just a troll from anti immigrants. Go away before being kicked out and discuss immigration with people of your own kind. You need to go to school and upgrade your skills so that you can compete.

Guys let us not feed this troll.

Gemini13
02-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Dude Gemini why are you wasting time here if you are not one of us? You are just a troll from anti immigrants. Go away before being kicked out and discuss immigration with people of your own kind. You need to go to school and upgrade your skills so that you can compete.

Guys let us not feed this troll.

Can you quote one sentence from my post which is anti immigrant. Chill dude. I have education. I have PhD and got my GC through EB1. Now you go and get some education.

Relax buddy.