PDA

View Full Version : Immigration Voice invited to testify in House Hearing scheduled for 2/5 @ 10:15am

Administrator2
02-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Immigration Voice is invited to testify in the House hearing scheduled for tomorrow at 10:15 am.

Here is the link to watch the hearing tomorrow.
Subject: America's Immigration System: Opportunities for Legal Immigration and Enforcement of Laws against Illegal Immigration¬ (http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/113th/hear_02052013.html)

Dr. Puneet Arora is representing Immigration Voice at the House Hearing. Dr. Arora will be highlighting the hardships faced by high skilled immigrants along with recommendations to address green card backlogs.

chtummala
02-04-2013, 01:56 PM
good

Rb_newsletter
02-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Immigration Voice is invited to testify in the House hearing scheduled for tomorrow at 10:15 am.

Subject: America's Immigration System: Opportunities for Legal Immigration and Enforcement of Laws against Illegal Immigration¬ (http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/113th/hear_02052013.html)

Dr. Puneet Arora is representing Immigration Voice at the House Hearing. Dr. Arora will be highlighting the hardships faced by high skilled immigrants along with recommendations to address green card backlogs.

All the best Doctor.

MK1981
02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Great.. Kudoos to IV :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Make it happen buddy...

wallmiki
02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Way to go.

waitingnwaiting
02-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Proudly say you are an IV member.

waitingnwaiting
02-04-2013, 02:05 PM
So proud to be an IV member. Great news in a long time.

Go IV go.

wallmiki
02-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Here is the link to Dr. Puneet Arora's statement:
http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/113th/02052013/Arora%2002052013.pdf

eastindia
02-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Good news.

Just contributed $100. Already have monthly paypal subscription going.
S-2H548699DY118107E

sanju_dba
02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
We are proud to follow you!

pd052011
02-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Go IV

Madhuri
02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Great news. Proud to be donating member of IV.

mantagon
02-04-2013, 03:05 PM
...Puneet! :)

Suva
02-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Great...

baleraosreedhar
02-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Hard work of past years is paying off, hope fully we will see some benefit for Employment based immigration in new avatar of CIR.

bpratap
02-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Awesome :)

gc_peshwa
02-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Great going IV. Just shows that folks who matter in DC do consider IV as a just and legitimate voice of the high tech immigrant community. This invite is a the result of past several years of incessant advocacy in DC and countless hours put in by the IVians.

IV
Stand back and take a pause before the real battle begins next month!

fatboysam
02-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Awesome job !

blewstream
02-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Great work IV.

bikram_das_in
02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Let's hope this is the last. We all deserve get past this mess.

ronhira
02-04-2013, 08:07 PM
I am new to IV. Heard about it today and jumped in. I would not say I am a victim of GC Queue yet but my PD is 2009..Is your agenda simply to help US educated in STEM field ?
Saw that in your testimony

"according to the American Enterprise Institute, each of us who are U.S. educated in STEM create an average of 2.6 American jobs, and foreign-born professionals generally are 30% more likely to start a U.S. business than are our native-born counterparts."

Does that mean IV does not represent High Skilled Immigrants who are not US Educated or in non-STEM Fields ?

Can u clarify ?

Reason I am neither US educated nor I work in a STEM field....

did you not read 10 other pages of testimony? if u'r not US educated or STEM, u probably know how to read..... or not? u'r question is rhetorical & not worthy of a proper response...

madhu345
02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Very Encouraging News...Hope we can see an end by this summer.

GO IV.

mendenken
02-04-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm proud to be a contributing member.

sreenivaskk
02-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Lets hope for best

imh1b
02-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Troll alert.

ronhira
02-05-2013, 06:43 AM
If you don't have an answer don't respond. Yes I read the testimony and it seems like this is all about US educated GC applicants. and lets talk about 75% of these US educated applicants. These 75% of US educated professionals are the kids of either corrupt politicians or bureaucrats who use their ill money to educate their kids in US..Again I said 75% and I am not referring Puneet as one of them ..

But going through older posts, I thought IV was for all applicants for employment based green cards or High Skilled workers...What happened here, suddenly we lost our path ?

US educated STEM workers are being taken care by congress anyway because they want the ill gotten money from South Asia flowing and so they need the numbers. But what about people who are educated in their home countries in STEM and Non-STEM fields.

Ron- 10 pages of testimoney were all about what NIW or US Educated professionals have to go through ?

Does this mean IV does not represent non-US Educated EB3 or EB2 folks ?

the party where ur not invited..... cannot be good..... if u did not go to school here or if ur not in stem..... then something must be wrong with those who r..... that is a very healthy worldview...... u sure have long disease free life ahead of u....

Flyingcrow
02-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Admin, will is this broadcast-ed? I see a static html page with no embedded video content or yet-active player.

sdeshpan
02-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Admin, will is this broadcast-ed? I see a static html page with no embedded video content or yet-active player.
It will be on C-SPAN3

Live Video - C-SPAN3 | C-SPAN (http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN3/)

SGP
02-05-2013, 08:48 AM

Your are right. Admins please help.

SGP
02-05-2013, 08:53 AM
It will be on C-SPAN3

Thanks

The Alchemist
02-05-2013, 09:23 AM
We are here at the House Judiciary Committee with Dr. Puneet Arora & Vivek Wadhwa

Administrator2
02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Dheeraj, Sukh and I are fortunate to be in the committee room. It is jam packed and long lines outside.

Flyingcrow
02-05-2013, 09:28 AM
A video link is available now, on the page admin shared.

Administrator2
02-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Cspan 3 is covering it. Could someone please provide the link to Cspan 3

amit_sp
02-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Cspan 3 is covering it. Could someone please provide the link to Cspan 3

Here's the link Live Video - C-SPAN3 | C-SPAN (http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN3/)

Flyingcrow
02-05-2013, 09:43 AM
sdeshpan already shared it, as well the video is available on the page you had shared.

thomachan72
02-05-2013, 09:47 AM
hope somebody is recording this one. Unable to access from office.

Flyingcrow
02-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Looked like, he was not done!

SGP
02-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Well Said Dr. Arora. You make us all proud.

hx82
02-05-2013, 10:09 AM
and he is back....

pd052011
02-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Kudos to Dr. Arora. Well articulated

dhakaldoo
02-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Looked like, he was not done!

Yes. There will be a video on you tube. A link will be posted here.

amitjoey
02-05-2013, 12:37 PM

swamy
02-05-2013, 01:39 PM
The written testimony is outstanding! And glad to hear Dr.Arora went green last year.

forever_waiting
02-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Kudos to people like Dr.arora and other IV core members who continue to work on our behalf even after getting their green cards. Its no small thing..taking time off on a work day to travel across the country to make sure our voices are heard. And actually opting to do it when he can easily sit back and enjoy his freedom from the backlogs/retrogression.
Most of the other testimonies were about the low skilled workers and border enforcement...so having our (high skilled backlogged immigrants) voice heard is crucial so that our provisions ar e not forgotten when the bigger picture is discussed as part of CIR or any other bigger bill. IV is our only hope...honored to have a representative right there on Capitol Hill fighting on our behalf.

spicy_guy
02-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Kudos to people like Dr.arora and other IV core members who continue to work on our behalf even after getting their green cards. Its no small thing..taking time off on a work day to travel across the country to make sure our voices are heard. And actually opting to do it when he can easily sit back and enjoy his freedom from the backlogs/retrogression.
Most of the other testimonies were about the low skilled workers and border enforcement...so having our (high skilled backlogged immigrants) voice heard is crucial so that our provisions ar e not forgotten when the bigger picture is discussed as part of CIR or any other bigger bill. IV is our only hope...honored to have a representative right there on Capitol Hill fighting on our behalf.

I second this. Kudos to IV core including Dr Arora. Absolutely awesome! (some of the forum members that are pointing and questioning IV, just open your eyes wide).

cyrilg
02-05-2013, 02:57 PM
I watched the live video. Thank you Arora & Wadwa for taking time for this on our behalf.
I really liked the last comment the Mr. Wadwa made before the close. After hearing this I feel more confident than ever that CIR will pass and help us.

Thank you IV.

georgian2777
02-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Here is the link for the Panel testimony today: Immigration Policy, Panel 1, Part 1 - C-SPAN Video Library (http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310814-1)

swamy
02-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks for posting the c-span link. Looks like everyone was on top of their game for the most part. Dr.Wadhwa though did miss a question about how American jobs can be protected while allowing immigrants in - thats the entire legal employment based immigration process beginning with labor certification up until adjustment of status. Seems like a class warfare might creep in over the skilled/unskilled debate with PhDs & programmers pitted againts kids of not so well educated folks - have to tread carefully!Over all though, a no-drama hearing.

greyhair
02-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Part 1:
Immigration Policy, Panel 1, Part 1 - C-SPAN Video Library (http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310814-1)

Part 2:
Immigration Policy, Panel 1, Part 2 - C-SPAN Video Library (http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310814-2)

Desertfox
02-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Why are you guys so afraid to answer my question ?

Seriously? Do you even listen to yourself? :mad:

Flyingcrow
02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Why are you guys so afraid to answer my question ?

Huh, Mr.Singh, google Immigration Innovation bill, you will find answers to your profound and earth-shattering questions :eek:

And being a newbie, you need to be a little polite if you need people to respond to you. There are lots of these folks who had invested lots of their time and effort, you can't join the group one day and start start shooting "what happened to the us, why did we lose our path" kind of B.S - without any reference to where you were all along.

I am a newbie too, joined a month or two back, I had my doubts and confusions too. Stay calm and read articles and bills more closely - what you were really looking for might be a single line in a bill of 50 pages. If you are bad at comprehension, looks like you are, ask people politely.

Desertfox
02-05-2013, 09:09 PM
This hearing made clear that the democrats only want a comprehensive immigration reform, which is unlikely to gain support from the republicans in my opinion.

Your opinion is like a breath of fresh air on this forum. We feel honored that you find us worthy enough to share it with. :D

Flyingcrow
02-05-2013, 09:09 PM
It has gained enough support to a point, that it has taken off the ground. So keep the hopes high, enough positive charge in the air, if it crashes anyway we can return to our doom.

Flyingcrow
02-05-2013, 09:25 PM
What did you expect!? agreement & diff of opinion, debates, negotiations, and compromise is how things move isn't?

Flyingcrow
02-05-2013, 10:01 PM
You are getting my point wrong, i am requesting you to keep your hopes high. we don't need dooms day predictors here, if its finally does not work out you can anyway deal with it then. There is no need to deflate your tires right away because there are thorns/nails ahead that can indeed puncture. My hopes are indeed high, nothing to lose.

Flyingcrow
02-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Mr.Singh, I gave you the answer in my previous post. Read it if you can. And as I mentioned earlier politeness will go a long way.

gk_2000
02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Dear Core

Can you give us an idea about congressional testimony? What is the purpose, meaning and significance? Why does the congress conduct this exercise?

ronhira
02-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Dear Core

Can you give us an idea about congressional testimony? What is the purpose, meaning and significance? Why does the congress conduct this exercise?

Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+the+purpose%2C+meaning+and+significance +of+congressional+testimony)

jetflyer
02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Interesting video.

However , i am not sure if these guys are really interested to reform legal immigration , they kept on asking about illegal and border security . Not sure if most of them still understand the difference between legal and illegal reform . Alabama Senator was trying to say that no one has objects to legal reform so that can be separated and pass and let's not mix it with the bigger one i.e illegal . They then said let's not call them illegals , they are citizens without papers , ok understood . We will not call them illegals .

what do you want to say my friend? only Ron Hira can answer to this post. he is the smartest guy around here.

Jet

ghost
02-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Part 1:
Immigration Policy, Panel 1, Part 1 - C-SPAN Video Library (http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310814-1)

Part 2:
Immigration Policy, Panel 1, Part 2 - C-SPAN Video Library (http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/310814-2)

Couldn't be more proud of what Puneet did for all of us - THANK YOU!

gk_2000
02-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+the+purpose%2C+meaning+and+significance +of+congressional+testimony)

It is not just for myself that I ask. I ask in everyones' interest. FYI your manner is quite condescending.

psychedelicNerd
02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+the+purpose%2c+meaning+and+significance +of+congressional+testimony)

lol

ronhira
02-06-2013, 04:30 PM
It is not just for myself that I ask. I ask in everyones' interest. FYI your manner is quite condescending.

u asked a question..... i provided u with an answer..... u mean responding to u with answer & showing how to find it in the future is condescending?......

the response was for u & everyone who have similar ques..... what's wrong with that?

ronhira
02-06-2013, 04:34 PM

as they say -

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

Murthy
02-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Immigration Policy HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE Feb 5,2013

Immigration Policy - C-SPAN Video Library (http://www.c-spanvideo.org/event/214127)

dear sir , where is the video .

gk_2000
02-06-2013, 06:17 PM
as they say -

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

So why dont you go get your own gc.. approach your congressman for special bill for you. Catch fish for yourself and stop bothering yourself with idiots like us who cant be taught how to fish

gk_2000
02-06-2013, 06:21 PM
u asked a question..... i provided u with an answer..... u mean responding to u with answer & showing how to find it in the future is condescending?......

the response was for u & everyone who have similar ques..... what's wrong with that?

Read more carefully.. I am asking IV "core" .. you are still VERY FAR AWAY my friend .. from being called "core"

jetflyer
02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Read more carefully.. I am asking IV "core" .. you are still VERY FAR AWAY my friend .. from being called "core"

dont worry my friend. Mr. Ron Hira has a tendency to jump in others business and show off how smart he is. now he will jump on me with some smart comment.

Jet

ronhira
02-07-2013, 10:29 AM
dont worry my friend. Mr. Ron Hira has a tendency to jump in others business and show off how smart he is. now he will jump on me with some smart comment.

Jet

can u tell me if they talked @ ead for h-4 in the hearing? if not..... what good is it?

unluckydude
02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
can u tell me if they talked @ ead for h-4 in the hearing? if not..... what good is it?

so you just want your EAD and not the Card? Look at the bigger picture.

sanju_dba
02-07-2013, 10:56 AM
It was a pride moment to see IV at the House.
Some times, I felt all of them are pro for Legal immigration, but is kept on hold as a benchmark to show/negotiate with Illegal/CIR.
San Antonio mayor mentions, Farmers picking up the fruit is a skilled worker too, according to him its a skill work that no body wants to do.
Yes, dependents of H1 were addressed distinctly, how their life is lower than Saudi women.
Supportive comment needed for the question, "Founders of Intel/Google/FB are decedents of immigrants who got education from US universities, and that they did not came here as Employment based immigrants".

kiran_pathuri
02-07-2013, 11:16 AM
It was a pride moment to see IV at the House.
Some times, I felt all of them are pro for Legal immigration, but is kept on hold as a benchmark to show/negotiate with Illegal/CIR.
San Antonio mayor mentions, Farmers picking up the fruit is a skilled worker too, according to him its a skill work that no body wants to do.
Yes, dependents of H1 were addressed distinctly, how their life is lower than Saudi women.
Supportive comment needed for the question, "Founders of Intel/Google/FB are decedents of immigrants who got education from US universities, and that they did not came here as Employment based immigrants".

I thought the same. But it is really difficult to answer such questions spontaneously. The answer could have been put all those people who has started those companies in an immigration limbo which is currently faced by us, and you see what happens. Some of the people who started these companies have done not only because of their education they have received in US universities. If that is the case we would have more percentage of americans starting companies. But if you look at the percentage, immigrants start more companies compared to their population. Also US is not the best when it comes to education, it is in 15th position. But people still come to US because of the combination of education and opportunities, the language and the freedom.

There are many high tech workers who want to start their own companies which can become another google or yahoo and they are unable to do so because of the restrictions. When you are young, you are more willing to take chances. But once you are married, have kids, your priorities will change. Because of backlogs, people who are willing to take chances are not able to do so and by the time they have green cards, the enthusiasm is no more there.

Flyingcrow
02-07-2013, 02:48 PM
I thought the same. But it is really difficult to answer such questions spontaneously. The answer could have been put all those people who has started those companies in an immigration limbo which is currently faced by us, and you see what happens. Some of the people who started these companies have done not only because of their education they have received in US universities. If that is the case we would have more percentage of americans starting companies. But if you look at the percentage, immigrants start more companies compared to their population. Also US is not the best when it comes to education, it is in 15th position. But people still come to US because of the combination of education and opportunities, the language and the freedom.

There are many high tech workers who want to start their own companies which can become another google or yahoo and they are unable to do so because of the restrictions. When you are young, you are more willing to take chances. But once you are married, have kids, your priorities will change. Because of backlogs, people who are willing to take chances are not able to do so and by the time they have green cards, the enthusiasm is no more there.

You are absolutely right.

Flyingcrow
02-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Got the mail just now.
Immigration | The White House (http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/immigration)

waitingnwaiting
02-07-2013, 03:38 PM

You have to be careful how much you talk about opening companies theory. It is only good looking for research papers and speaking. If I was to argue with you, can you explain where in law it is written an H1B cannot start a company? Is there any research done on how many companies , inventions and patents were made from EB1 EB2 and EB3? The point to focus is the human pain more. Once you start talking a lot about opening companies it looks being too proud.

gk_2000
02-07-2013, 04:03 PM
You have to be careful how much you talk about opening companies theory. It is only good looking for research papers and speaking. If I was to argue with you, can you explain where in law it is written an H1B cannot start a company? Is there any research done on how many companies , inventions and patents were made from EB1 EB2 and EB3? The point to focus is the human pain more. Once you start talking a lot about opening companies it looks being too proud.

"where in law it is written an H1B cannot start a company"

Ha ha ha .. you are asking a fish what is water?
It is not written in law that H1B cannot start a company. It is written, however, that he cannot work in his own company, or any company in which he has 5% or more stake -- this is to rule out completely, the possibility of self-sponsorship. Again, this is like asking a prisoner in the dungeon "do you know how the chain and iron ball feels like"?

greyhair
02-07-2013, 04:16 PM
"where in law it is written an H1B cannot start a company"

Ha ha ha .. you are asking a fish what is water?
It is not written in law that H1B cannot start a company. It is written, however, that he cannot work in his own company, or any company in which he has 5% or more stake -- this is to rule out completely, the possibility of self-sponsorship. Again, this is like asking a prisoner in the dungeon "do you know how the chain and iron ball feels like"?

The real question is - Can in a practical world someone on H1 start a company? The answer is - Someone on H1 can register a company, but if he has to do another full time job to maintain his status, it makes it so god damn difficult to run a real business that for all practical purposes, someone on H1 cannot start a company. If you believe that registering a company = starting a company, then the answer is yes. But if you believe that running and growing a company = starting a company, then the answer is no.

Its similar to saying Man can go to moon any day. We went there back in 1969. But its so difficult that no one ventures it. We CAN go to moon because we did that 44 years back, but how many countries in the world has tried. Why? For the same reason - because its so god damn difficult.

Rb_newsletter
02-07-2013, 04:53 PM

Yes they did not come here as employment based immigrants, thats why they were able to act independently and that 'independence' helped them to become founders of Intel/Google/etc. If they had chose EB way for immigration they too would be stuck in backlog queue.

Rb_newsletter
02-07-2013, 05:12 PM
The real question is - Can in a practical world someone on H1 start a company?

All EB immigrants are employed in some corporate. Once he/she enters a coproration, he/she will be sucked in to the whirlpool of appraisal, performance appraisal, deliverable, cost-cutting, right sizing(previously called as down sizing), peer pressure, etc.
This-kinda-busy-work + family-in-USA + family-backhome = 24 hour not enough.

Law says you can start company on H1 but you cannot take employment. So you will have to hire managers/employees. Here comes the great budget; any company at the starting phase will not have much luxury to go on hiring spree. Now you cannot work as per law and you cannot hire as per budget, which locks you to zero.

gk_2000
02-07-2013, 05:43 PM
All EB immigrants are employed in some corporate. Once he/she enters a coproration, he/she will be sucked in to the whirlpool of appraisal, performance appraisal, deliverable, cost-cutting, right sizing(previously called as down sizing), peer pressure, etc.
This-kinda-busy-work + family-in-USA + family-backhome = 24 hour not enough.

Law says you can start company on H1 but you cannot take employment. So you will have to hire managers/employees. Here comes the great budget; any company at the starting phase will not have much luxury to go on hiring spree. Now you cannot work as per law and you cannot hire as per budget, which locks you to zero.

And they have a very STRICT definition of "work" .. it means you can't even take out the trash. So I don't know if "Hiring" will be allowed even. Maybe, you can go to India and while there you can hire someone.. but then how will you monitor the progress?

ronhira
02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
And they have a very STRICT definition of "work" .. it means you can't even take out the trash. So I don't know if "Hiring" will be allowed even. Maybe, you can go to India and while there you can hire someone.. but then how will you monitor the progress?

earlier you were saying totally the opposite of what u seem to be saying now.... is this message posting thing you do is to somehow make you feel better or does it have any real meaning?

same as this .....

E1lJ3tfQFpc

gk_2000
02-07-2013, 07:14 PM
earlier you were saying totally the opposite of what u seem to be saying now.... is this message posting thing you do is to somehow make you feel better or does it have any real meaning?

same as this .....

I don't know wth you are talking about. FYI this was my answer to a totally different question than whatever I previously talked about with you. Why are you so gunning for me

ronhira
02-08-2013, 04:14 AM
Gautam Tambhir is meeting Karak Obasa today so expect green cards for all of us very soon .

ya.... that make sense..... did not know..... thanks for sharing..... this should fix some of the backlogs.....

Flyingcrow
02-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Core or anybody who knows, would there be more judicial committee hearings with other panels? What is the process outline? From here, how does it finally go to the Senate for a vote? Any pointers to resources on the process is appreciated. Don't jump on me, to teach me how to use the google, without the right questions, grandma oracle cannot be put to use. I have read about, how a bill becomes a law, but whatever got introduced last weeks, as per my understanding or not complete bills, but more of a outline of proposals. Please feel free to correct me, without getting abusive on my ignorance on this subject matter. Thanks.

Flyingcrow
02-08-2013, 10:55 AM
I have read this one: http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/legprocessflowchart.pdf.
Where are we in this flowchart? Stage 2?

pappu
02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Core or anybody who knows, would there be more judicial committee hearings with other panels? What is the process outline? From here, how does it finally go to the Senate for a vote? Any pointers to resources on the process is appreciated. Don't jump on me, to teach me how to use the google, without the right questions, grandma oracle cannot be put to use. I have read about, how a bill becomes a law, but whatever got introduced last weeks, as per my understanding or not complete bills, but more of a outline of proposals. Please feel free to correct me, without getting abusive on my ignorance on this subject matter. Thanks.

It is difficult to create a project plan like timeline for any bill. Bill can take many years of advocacy or can pass very quickly. Immigration bill is anyways a complex issue. Introduction is easy. There are hundreds introduced every year. Only a few ultimately pass. The question is -- is there enough agreement to move forward? this is why there are meetings, advocacy efforts, events like hearings we just had etc. All these help create a direction. Hearings like the one we had gave an opportunity for us to publicly provide our inputs. It is not just one hearing that will decide, but a series of meetings where we have to constantly meet almost all key offices and present our case. Sometimes we have to even react based on the latest differences and developments and change strategy. There are compromises made and negotiations take place. The realities on the ground changes with time. This issue is a complex one. Not sure if you had been following the healthcare bill. Go back in history and see how it was done. Or see how the efforts on gun control bill has difficulties. Similarly our issue is not that easy. It involves fixing a broken system that has not been fixed for many decades. On the forum I have read people writing it is an easy fix, low hanging fruit etc. Such people are far from reality and they only are concerned about visa bulletin, tracking and predicting. They do not care to understand the process and participate in solving the problem, by looking beyond their greencard application. Or people write that they only want H4 issue solved or some rule change based on their own personal situation. This only shows their immaturity and it is shameful for our community. Dr Arora already has a greencard, but still he came and spoke for all of us. How many of us come back after getting greencard and actively contribute each month and participate in IV events or volunteer? For the immigration bill the good thing is that President is serious and is pushing for it. If that gives any relief, we had a meeting a couple of weeks ago with his office. It takes time and you will not see progress visible in media all the time. But effort goes on even when senate is not in session and the bill is not a priority. This is how we have worked all these years so that when the bill is a priority, we are there and advocate for the community. The hearing was one such example where we spoke for the entire high skill community and communicated our issues and solutions to lawmakers. It was a proud moment and a big success for the entire EB community that has worked hard since Dec 2005 to advocate our issues to lawmakers.

Flyingcrow
02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks Pappu. I had never followed how the system works in the past. The only place a commoner like me would get an update is from the media, but that one is mostly a post update and we get to have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the different closed doors. One day, I hear someone introduces a bill, and then after periods of silence, some event pops up somewhere else. Learning...