PDA

View Full Version : To Start a LLC - Help please

superking
12-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Please let me know the answer for following questions.

1. I am a EAD (EB3) holder, Can I start a LLC on my wife name and is it legal to work for my wife company? Is this cause any problem for my Green card process - if they ask any queries like which company you are working now? Etc.,

2. To start LLC can I start in the apartment?

3. Do I need to contact an immigration layer or/and corporate lawyers or CPA for if I have any questions.

4. How much money I need always keep in the company account? ( if any I-485 queries from INS regarding the payroll)

5. What are all the advantage and disadvantage to start the Company?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

superking
01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Any information - please let me know

prem_goel
01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Based on what I've learnt so far.

1. I am a EAD (EB3) holder, Can I start a LLC on my wife name and is it legal to work for my wife company? Is this cause any problem for my Green card process - if they ask any queries like which company you are working now? Etc.,
Yes, you can start on your wife's name. Usually you working for your wife is more of an IRS matter. I am not sure if USCIS will be interested to see your returns as long as you have a valid W-2 from your H-1B sponsoring employer.
YES, you can.
3. Do I need to contact an immigration layer or/and corporate lawyers or CPA for if I have any questions.
You can contact a tax advisor. I am not sure why you need an immigration lawyer. As long as your a US resident with a US address, you can open a LLC, S-Corp etc.
4. How much money I need always keep in the company account? ( if any I-485 queries from INS regarding the payroll)
- Depending on the US state you are in, You'll have to pay a minimum tax. In CA, it's either 8.84% of your LLC's revenue or $800/year whichever is higher.
5. What are all the advantage and disadvantage to start the Company?
- There are lots of web pages online where you can read about this. To summarize, opening a company in general allows you to deduct the costs of operating the company. I assume you'll get 1099 from whoever your providing the service to. For example: if you were to build a website for a company/person, and they pay you $5000. That company/person will issue a 1099 for you at the end of the year for $5000 and you'll have to pay taxes on it. You can deduct the costs of doing the business such as office furniture, laptop usage, business lunches etc from this amount etc. I believe there's a subtle difference in S-Corp and LLC in terms of how you deduct these expenses. Just google it and you can read.

chtummala
01-03-2013, 06:31 PM
what kind of business is it ..
how you are getting paid ..

sanju_dba
01-03-2013, 09:42 PM

-- yes she can start a business and hire you as employee/contractor legally. You would use your ead. If they ask what company, then you would have to show the contract job that you have with the end client., yea it can go to hat extent.

Yes.

Yes, relevant questions with relevant personnel.

In good faith the company should be able to show its in profit. Kick this question to immigration attorney.

5. What are all the advantage and disadvantage to start a company
Advantage is to save money where possible , and if given a chance you can have contractors/side projects to make money. Another thing is you will break the predetermined salary ceiling.

Disadvantage is , when its small you have more things to juggle.

See my reply inline