PDA

View Full Version : New (Modified) STEM Bill for immigration?????

honest123
11-27-2012, 06:05 AM
Please read the following news about modified STEM Bill which will be voted this Friday!!

Immigration Reform News and Impact on US Homeland Security November 26, 2012 | Homeland Security Right Side News (http://www.rightsidenews.com/2012112617465/us/homeland-security/immigration-reform-news-and-impact-on-us-homeland-security-november-26-2012.html)

From the above news, personally I do believe this STEM Bill does NOT help immigration because from other online news, it was said that US does NOT have any jobs for scientists to do scientific research and so many Ph.D Science graudates cannot get a job in US. From this modified STEM visa, EB-6 visa requires Ph.D graduates get green card application via a US employer---not easy for Ph.D immigration because they need to get a job first and not so much scientific job left for green card application---so this EB-6 visa is useless for immigration.
For EB-7 visa, all master degree people need to have both master and Bachelor degree graduated in a US university and with Ph.D petiiton before granting green card via green card application from a US employer---NOT easy too.

So this STEM Bill is useless once you get laid off or once if you can't find a job in US.

Does anyone agree with me??

chtummala
11-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Please read the following news about modified STEM Bill which will be voted this Friday!!

Immigration Reform News and Impact on US Homeland Security November 26, 2012 | Homeland Security Right Side News (http://www.rightsidenews.com/2012112617465/us/homeland-security/immigration-reform-news-and-impact-on-us-homeland-security-november-26-2012.html)

From the above news, personally I do believe this STEM Bill does NOT help immigration because from other online news, it was said that US does NOT have any jobs for scientists to do scientific research and so many Ph.D Science graudates cannot get a job in US. From this modified STEM visa, EB-6 visa requires Ph.D graduates get green card application via a US employer---not easy for Ph.D immigration because they need to get a job first and not so much scientific job left for green card application---so this EB-6 visa is useless for immigration.
For EB-7 visa, all master degree people need to have both master and Bachelor degree graduated in a US university and with Ph.D petiiton before granting green card via green card application from a US employer---NOT easy too.

So this STEM Bill is useless once you get laid off or once if you can't find a job in US.

Does anyone agree with me??

what do you mean by helping immigration ..
does it mean creating a policy that could give you a visa for your qualifications .. or creating policy what is best for USA .. adding 55K visas to current EB system could help clearing EB2 backlogs ..
--
life is not easy

honest123
11-27-2012, 07:58 AM
In response to "what does it mean helping immigration"----that is to create a policy which is different from the existing broken immigration system and helping STEM graduates to get green card immediately by stapling green card to graduation diplomas without any US employer-sponsored immgration application.

But according to this news about New (Modified) STEM Visa, it looks like the new immigration system is similar to the broken immigration system---that is to go through labor certification for any Ph.D graduates and get US employer-sponsored immigration application. So once any Ph.D graduates got laid off from US employers, green card will be lost. Also, for master degree applicants via this new system, it looks like it is more difficult and more tougher than the broken (old) immigration system because master graduates need to have both bachelor and master degree in STEM field and right before green card application, a Ph.D petition must be approved before US employer-sponsored green card application.

Actually I think more new immigrants inflow to US will add more taxpayers to US and subsequently adding more income to US. Suppose those graduates cannot get a job after immigration, they will NOT sit still in US and they will start companies to create job opportunities to hire at least one to five persons----so immigration is beneficial to both graduates and US. But now this new system looks like to restrict immigration.

This is very frustrating experience!! So life is NOT easy!!!!!!!!!!

sasikiranr
11-27-2012, 08:30 AM
@honest123

You statement is wrong and misleading people, please go through the modied bill (HR 6429)

Go to page 9 and 10, read from 7th point.

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20121126/CPRT-112-HPRT-RU00-HR6429_xml.pdf

http://judiciary.house.gov/issues/STEM/Fact%20Sheet%20STEM%20Bill.pdf

Requirements for eb7:

1. masters in us in a stem field (program requires 2 years of enrollment)
2. baccalaureate degree (4 year degree) in a stem filed not necessary in usa.
3. Agree to work for at least five years for the petitioning employer or in the U.S. in a STEM field

chtummala
11-27-2012, 11:44 AM
In response to "what does it mean helping immigration"----that is to create a policy which is different from the existing broken immigration system and helping STEM graduates to get green card immediately by stapling green card to graduation diplomas without any US employer-sponsored immgration application.

hmm you got 29 months of OPT if can not get a job with in this period i doubt there is some thing wrong

But according to this news about New (Modified) STEM Visa, it looks like the new immigration system is similar to the broken immigration system---that is to go through labor certification for any Ph.D graduates and get US employer-sponsored immigration application. So once any Ph.D graduates got laid off from US employers, green card will be lost. Also, for master degree applicants via this new system, it looks like it is more difficult and more tougher than the broken (old) immigration system because master graduates need to have both bachelor and master degree in STEM field and right before green card application, a Ph.D petition must be approved before US employer-sponsored green card application.

be in reality bro this is not a law .. and this is not CIR .. just a piecemeal .. and if you get your green card your employer can not revoke it ..

Actually I think more new immigrants inflow to US will add more taxpayers to US and subsequently adding more income to US. Suppose those graduates cannot get a job after immigration, they will NOT sit still in US and they will start companies to create job opportunities to hire at least one to five persons----so immigration is beneficial to both graduates and US. But now this new system looks like to restrict immigration.

This is very frustrating experience!! So life is NOT easy!!!!!!!!!!

you are expecting too much .. you can start a company any time .. i am on OPT not and i own a company

honest123
11-27-2012, 07:52 PM
In reply to member Chutumala about what he said "hmm you got 29 months of OPT if can not get a job with in this period i doubt there is some thing wrong"-----you know some Ph.D people get the job in OPT but the company does NOT sponsor green card. The reasons behind are complex----some companies said they do NOT have the money to sponsor green card. Some companies just give the Ph.D graduate for post-graduation training but don't want to sponsor them for immigration. Some supervisors in the company don't want to sponsor the green card for the new Ph.D employees because those supervisors don't want to have more Ph.D people in the company to compete for their job promotion in the future.

Right now the OPT for STEM graduates are 29 months but several years ago it is one year and the H-1B filing is very competitive and only one to two days the H-1B quota is full. Some master or Ph.D graduates leave US at that time because of getting stuck in the quota. If they want to immigrate, it will be more difficult because they are NOT physically present in US. So life is NOT easy.

I have a friend who studied Ph.D in microbiology. The US company hired him during OPT and when he asked for H-1B then the US company assign him go to China to work for his branch lab office and then his H-1B is never filed. Then he wants to search for another US company or universities for H-1B filing and wait and wait and he need to leave US because the OPT was expired soon and the companies or universities still accept the resumes sent in and will select the candidates during the next month (that is the universities reply him about selection procedures). But his OPT expired and then he need to leave US.

So life is tough!!

pappu
11-28-2012, 06:06 AM
In reply to member Chutumala about what he said "hmm you got 29 months of OPT if can not get a job with in this period i doubt there is some thing wrong"-----you know some Ph.D people get the job in OPT but the company does NOT sponsor green card. The reasons behind are complex----some companies said they do NOT have the money to sponsor green card. Some companies just give the Ph.D graduate for post-graduation training but don't want to sponsor them for immigration. Some supervisors in the company don't want to sponsor the green card for the new Ph.D employees because those supervisors don't want to have more Ph.D people in the company to compete for their job promotion in the future.

Right now the OPT for STEM graduates are 29 months but several years ago it is one year and the H-1B filing is very competitive and only one to two days the H-1B quota is full. Some master or Ph.D graduates leave US at that time because of getting stuck in the quota. If they want to immigrate, it will be more difficult because they are NOT physically present in US. So life is NOT easy.

I have a friend who studied Ph.D in microbiology. The US company hired him during OPT and when he asked for H-1B then the US company assign him go to China to work for his branch lab office and then his H-1B is never filed. Then he wants to search for another US company or universities for H-1B filing and wait and wait and he need to leave US because the OPT was expired soon and the companies or universities still accept the resumes sent in and will select the candidates during the next month (that is the universities reply him about selection procedures). But his OPT expired and then he need to leave US.

So life is tough!!

Your premise for arguement is wrong. If you ever go to lawmakers with such arguements, it will backfire. This is why we very carefully look at an issue and it's arguements before presenting it.

It is an employment based greencard. The employer has to see merit in continuing the employment of an employee on h1b first. And then he has to see merit in sponsoring him for permanent residency. If a person has many masters and PhDs and still his skill and experience has not much value to the employer or such skills are easy to find in US citizens, why should an immigrant demand to get sponsored? The employer has to first find US citizens. Yes there is value for the country to not have people with us degrees leave the country. But it is wrong to look at the issue from a narrow perspective.

sup_eb2_2009
11-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Hi
Can someone please provide the information about this estra 55K Greencard numbers? Are they additional to current total EB2 numbers or they will be taken from the current count. If later then EB2/EB3 India will never move

sup_eb2_2009
11-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Sorry in the previous post I meant from total EB numbers. If they reserve 55K from 140k, then the remaining 85K will be distributed among other categories. 28.6% of that is around 24K. It will be a nightmare

chtummala
11-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi
Can someone please provide the information about this estra 55K Greencard numbers? Are they additional to current total EB2 numbers or they will be taken from the current count. If later then EB2/EB3 India will never move
it is extra but any way this not law yet ..
and dont hope for it until it become law ..

sup_eb2_2009
11-28-2012, 08:15 AM
if it passes in house this week, when is it expected to go to Senate ? Just hypothetically, let's say then it passes in Senate too, how long does it normally take to become a law?

chtummala
11-28-2012, 11:39 AM
if it passes in house this week, when is it expected to go to Senate ? Just hypothetically, let's say then it passes in Senate too, how long does it normally take to become a law?
if congress approves it then president need to sign it ( or not responding it for 10 days when congress is in session . or if president rejects it and congress approves it by 2/3 of votes ) then it will becomes law ..
if it becomes law i guess it will be from FY2014 ( i need to read complete text ).. any way it is not easy to get pass ..

pd052011
11-28-2012, 11:46 AM
It will not pass. Read the news items on the STEM bill. Democrats will not support it.

chtummala
11-28-2012, 12:45 PM
hmm Dems Does not support STEM jobs Act .
not visas for STEM Phd , MS
they have similar bill

longwait4gc
11-29-2012, 12:09 AM
if congress approves it then president need to sign it ( or not responding it for 10 days when congress is in session . or if president rejects it and congress approves it by 2/3 of votes ) then it will becomes law ..
if it becomes law i guess it will be from FY2014 ( i need to read complete text ).. any way it is not easy to get pass ..

This is gone
Obama opposes Silicon Valley firms on immigration reform | Politics and Law - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57556074-38/obama-opposes-silicon-valley-firms-on-immigration-reform/)

Sucks.

Does any one here knows what happened to EADs for H4 visa holders?
Is there anyway I can contribute for that effort?

sunny2007
11-29-2012, 02:29 AM
This is gone
Obama opposes Silicon Valley firms on immigration reform | Politics and Law - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57556074-38/obama-opposes-silicon-valley-firms-on-immigration-reform/)

Sucks.

Is there anyway I can contribute for that effort? If they have real intention to pass the bill, they should at least adjust 20k GC from diversity lottery to start with than remove diversity lottery altogether.

It's sheer waste of time.

pappu
11-29-2012, 05:46 AM
This is gone

Sucks.

This provision is part of our admin fixes we have been proposing for some time. Please support IV by signing up for recurring contributions. This is the first step To show commitment so that other volunteer members can continue to represent our interests in DC during meetings and our counsel can continue to advocate for us at every given opportunity. The next step for contributing members is to contact IV if they wish to volunteer on regular basis. We involve such people with various tasks based on their background and state. This fix is possible.

bibliophile2020
11-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Hey Pappu, are we giving up on HR3012. The writing is on the wall. It's not going any where. We lost when Obama won. I feel that IV did the best it can. Going forward it might be better to work on few different issues than putting all the resources in one basket. How about filing for I-485 at the same time as I-140?

go_guy123
11-29-2012, 08:36 AM
This is gone

Sucks.

Kind of shows how low the skilled immigrants are on the priority list...Lawmakers would rather discuss about horses and other things than talk about skilled immigration issues.

go_guy123
11-29-2012, 08:39 AM
This is gone

Sucks.

One the whole, US businesses bet big on Romney and lost it all. It is payback time now.

go_guy123
11-29-2012, 09:59 AM
One the whole, US businesses bet big on Romney and lost it all. It is payback time now.

By the way US takes about 75K or so refugess per year...and there is no country quota.
EB are way below in the priority list.

pd052011
11-29-2012, 10:04 AM
The only thing I can think of that would make sense is to provision I-140 and I-485 joint filing for EB applicants. That way there is a sense of security and a slightly lower uncertainty for the EB community.

And IV needs to reiterate in media and other public forums that the labor certification for E visas clearly establishes that "no Americans were qualified" for the job. And hence, clear the misconception that somehow E visas are the reason for high unemployment numbers in the country.

spicy_guy
11-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Bug then again...

House Poised to Pass STEM Immigration Bill (http://mashable.com/2012/11/29/stem-immigration-bill/) :rolleyes:

eastindia
11-29-2012, 11:34 AM
The only thing I can think of that would make sense is to provision I-140 and I-485 joint filing for EB applicants. That way there is a sense of security and a slightly lower uncertainty for the EB community.

And IV needs to reiterate in media and other public forums that the labor certification for E visas clearly establishes that "no Americans were qualified" for the job. And hence, clear the misconception that somehow E visas are the reason for high unemployment numbers in the country.

What about giving work permit to all H4s. For some it will be more important than yours. For those who have already filed I485 they may not support either and want something else. We keep getting divided like this and fail.

I wish July 2007 fiasco should have never happened. It divided all of us.

eastindia
11-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Bug then again...

House Poised to Pass STEM Immigration Bill (http://mashable.com/2012/11/29/stem-immigration-bill/) :rolleyes:

Problem with STEM bill is the bill language and this is why it will not pass the Senate and Democrats will not support it,

Most immigrants in backlog are already in STEM. So why not just freeze diversity visa for a few years, do not eliminate it.......and allocate those greencards to clear backlog. Call it interim relief bill or whatever.

pd052011
11-29-2012, 11:42 AM
I agree. If any of you are listening to C-SPAN now, that's the biggest objection from Dems.

chtummala
11-29-2012, 11:47 AM
This is gone

Sucks.

ufff .. always check the reality of news .. dont blindly trust what ever they say ..

EAD for H4 .. how this one came up in this situation ..

go_guy123
11-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Problem with STEM bill is the bill language and this is why it will not pass the Senate and Democrats will not support it,

Most immigrants in backlog are already in STEM. So why not just freeze diversity visa for a few years, do not eliminate it.......and allocate those greencards to clear backlog. Call it interim relief bill or whatever.

That is not how politics works. The diversity visa category people are overwhemingly democratic party voters. Reducing future solid vote bank is non-negociable
for democratic party.

Suspending it even few years will set a precident, meaning in future it can be suspended again. So why will democratic party agree to it. What do they gain in this bargain ?

spicy_guy
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
So with all the new talk of new bills now, is HR 3012 presumably dead?

I know pappu said something about in a couple posts.

No doubt, IV did a tremendous job of bringing everyone in a rope and conducting a rally to try to bring our issues to Lawmakers. But knowing all this effort and hard work going in vain (?), can't stop feeling bad about it. I know IV still has hopes and is still fighting for it. Hats off! :)

But reality of the current situation is not so encouraging. Though there is new talk about CIR and other bills, its miles away from being real. HR 3012 is the closest we could get to and it had a cake walk in the House voting. As pappu said, bringing a bill to the voting table is not a simple job. We need action, strength, money, people, power, etc. But we could get all these and brought HR 3012 to finish line and if it dies there, its kind of disappointing. :cool:

I am sure most of you feel the same, though we should not end the fight for justice! :D

go_guy123
11-29-2012, 01:48 PM

No doubt, IV did a tremendous job of bringing everyone in a rope and conducting a rally to try to bring our issues to Lawmakers. But knowing all this effort and hard work going in vain (?), can't stop feeling bad about it. I know IV still has hopes and is still fighting for it. Hats off! :)

But reality of the current situation is not so encouraging. Though there is new talk about CIR and other bills, its miles away from being real. HR 3012 is the closest we could get to and it had a cake walk in the House voting. As pappu said, bringing a bill to the voting table is not a simple job. We need action, strength, money, people, power, etc. But we could get all these and brought HR 3012 to finish line and if it dies there, its kind of disappointing. :cool:

I am sure most of you feel the same, though we should not end the fight for justice! :D

CIR is the new talk of town...But it wont happen. Democrats are embolden by this election cycle and now asking for CIR and not piecemeal.
CIR will eventually die under the weight of contradictions. But yes peicemeal Dream act is possible.

Come next election cycle in 2014 when voter turnout will be lower thereby favoring GOP, Democrats will lose seats. The democrats will be back to piecemeal then. That pushes piecmeal timeline to 2015.

srikant9
11-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Is'nt it would be beneficial for Phd students (having 3 years of research) to apply under EB1 since it does not require Labor certification and therefore does not make any sense for another category for Phd students requiring employer sponsorhip?

longwait4gc
11-29-2012, 03:28 PM
This provision is part of our admin fixes we have been proposing for some time. Please support IV by signing up for recurring contributions. This is the first step To show commitment so that other volunteer members can continue to represent our interests in DC during meetings and our counsel can continue to advocate for us at every given opportunity. The next step for contributing members is to contact IV if they wish to volunteer on regular basis. We involve such people with various tasks based on their background and state. This fix is possible.

Thanks Pappu for the response. Its good to hear that it is part of IV agenda. I am a recurring contributor to IV for last 5 months and made couple of one time contributions. Will increase my contribution in the next cycle.

I want to contribute to this effort. How can I start?

honest123
11-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Please see the following news link:
Immigration changes loom for Triangle, nation - Politics - NewsObserver.com (http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/11/29/2515469/immigration-changes-loom-for-triangle.html)

From the above news, I quote the statement
"In the Triangle, a number of tech companies declined to provide details on filling local vacancies with foreign workers"-----so having Ph.D may have a chance cannot fill jobs for STEM Bill.

Also, I totally agree with the administrator here said if your skills do NOT match the employer needs, so many masters and Ph.D for an individual person does NOT get employed----it is true too. So if Ph.D person cannot get hired, so STEM Bill cannot help those graduates to get green card. I think "staple green card to diplomas is easier" for STEM graudates to get green card for legal stay in US to start companies in US to uplift US economy.

forever_waiting
11-30-2012, 01:35 AM
I am not sure how you are drawing that conclusion? Just people some random people are talking about other bills...how do you presume 3012 is dead? Were those people who are discussing new bills involved with HR3012?? Of course people are looking for some legislative relief and will discuss any and every bill out there.

IV has been involved with HR3012 every step of the way and I think there is no reason to lose hope until the lame duck session is over. and by the way,as i said earlier, I strongly believe these STEM bills are dead on arrival.

pappu
11-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Check cspan for the debate on this bill now.

Vote will be today.

pappu
11-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Rep. Lofgren is speaking now

baangdus
11-30-2012, 10:55 AM
I watched the debate. It felt like Democrats were really talking sense to me. They wanted to take care of STEM as a separate issue not dependent of diversity. Whereas Reps were more or less following their election campaign type arguments, talking more negative of diversity visa and democrat overall than actually making STEM sound important.
One thing I really donít understand, that is when everyone knows this isnít going to go thru Senate why they are even bothered spending 3 hours in house for it? Even people republicans trying to make happy with this bill, know it is a hoax.

gvenkat
11-30-2012, 11:02 AM
I watched the debate. It felt like Democrats were really talking sense to me. They wanted to take care of STEM as a separate issue not dependent of diversity. Whereas Reps were more or less following their election campaign type arguments, talking more negative of diversity visa and democrat overall than actually making STEM sound important.
One thing I really donít understand, that is when everyone knows this isnít going to go thru Senate why they are even bothered spending 3 hours in house for it? Even people republicans trying to make happy with this bill, know it is a hoax.

So that the republicans can say that we tried it's the democrats that are stalling.. All politics..

baangdus
11-30-2012, 11:14 AM
So that the republicans can say that we tried it's the democrats that are stalling.. All politics..
Say to whom? General american public is not interested in this bill. American corporate is, and I bet they are not fool to not understand this. What is that both republicans and democrats are trying to achive by debating on bills like these?

desigun
11-30-2012, 02:09 PM
folks..
Sorry to be so pessimistic, but all this attention appears to be kneejerk reactions from politicians to score some brownie points, before they go for the next round of elections. In my opinion, CIR will be carefully reviewed next year, priortizing undocumented/illegal first before they even consider the legals and even that will be done in phases.

Phase 1 will be a group of undocumented workers who remain in the country for last 10+ years and they would be bucketed in a E7 class or something, for which any H1B/speciality based visa beneficiaries cannot apply. Goal from illegal is to get their votes and taxes without positioning them for competing high-paying jobs... It all looks messy, but the wait will continue for us, friends.. as we are the silent minority!!!

pd052011
11-30-2012, 02:12 PM
I agree. Show's over. Back to work :D

spicy_guy
11-30-2012, 02:20 PM
folks..
Sorry to be so pessimistic, but all this attention appears to be kneejerk reactions from politicians to score some brownie points, before they go for the next round of elections. In my opinion, CIR will be carefully reviewed next year, priortizing undocumented/illegal first before they even consider the legals and even that will be done in phases.

Phase 1 will be a group of undocumented workers who remain in the country for last 10+ years and they would be bucketed in a E7 class or something, for which any H1B/speciality based visa beneficiaries cannot apply. Goal from illegal is to get their votes and taxes without positioning them for competing high-paying jobs... It all looks messy, but the wait will continue for us, friends.. as we are the silent minority!!!

Couldn't agree more. But IV still has hopes on HR 3012.
Jai Ho IV!!! We'll be with you all the say.

bibliophile2020
11-30-2012, 02:33 PM
The writing is on the wall. Let's not pin our hopes on CIR. Obama has to go on hunger strike, Stayagriha, non cooperation ... etc; to get it passed. I hope they realise it and work on piece meal legislation instead.

sep_2011_PD
11-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Now what does this mean?

House passes immigration bill to keep science and technology students in U.S. – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/30/house-passes-immigration-bill-to-keep-science-and-technology-students-in-u-s/)

forever_waiting
11-30-2012, 07:25 PM
It means the republican version of "STEM" passed in the House. But frm the Dem statements it is clear it will fail in Senate if it even comes up for a vote there.

H.R.3012 is the ONLY hope for everyone of us stuck in the backlog rut. Lets keep the faith...still some time to go for lame duck session to get over.

Now what does this mean?

House passes immigration bill to keep science and technology students in U.S. Ė CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/30/house-passes-immigration-bill-to-keep-science-and-technology-students-in-u-s/)

GCkiyaGanja
11-30-2012, 09:20 PM
HR 3012 is the only hope ...we have worked and did our best for HR3012 and I am sure IV is still working to find a magic potion to solve our woes.

Commitment to work will be there ..I was a foot soldier during the SJ rally (That seems to be long time ago now) , but any further calls from IV for work I will sign up .

We can only try as much as we can , rest is upto the almighty, miracles do happen.. cheers to everyone , enjoy your weekend folks.

immigrant2007
12-01-2012, 05:55 AM

So does it mean that if republicans agree then on having another category for STEM then DEMOCRATS will pass this bill?