PDA

View Full Version : Laid off yesterday 11/14; Passport under process for renewal

sailm
11-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Hello,

I got let go from my company yesterday 11/14 and will be paid for two more months as continuance of pay as my severance package.

a) I am getting calls for a new position but my passport is with Indian embassy for renewal. It has been with them one week.

b) I quit my previous employer to move here on a H1 transfer. The previous employer may take me back. If they take me back what happens from a visa standpoint? If they have not revoked my H1B then am I good to go (long shot , I know)?

At this point I have been in the US for 6 years. 5 years on F1 and about 16 months on H1.

Any pointers or how I should proceed? Feel like my stay is coming to an end.

bpratap
11-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Don't worry, you are good.

Try to get the renewed passport ASAP. typically renewal take only 2-3 weeks.

if you have to change employers, you juz need to file for H1B within 30 days or revoking current H1B or Layoff date, (You DONT need to have an H1B approval by Dec 14).

you are only 16 months into your 6yr H1B Term, so dont start thinking of EOW. relax and find a new employer or get back to your old employer.

Hello,

I got let go from my company yesterday 11/14 and will be paid for two more months as continuance of pay as my severance package.

a) I am getting calls for a new position but my passport is with Indian embassy for renewal. It has been with them one week.

b) I quit my previous employer to move here on a H1 transfer. The previous employer may take me back. If they take me back what happens from a visa standpoint? If they have not revoked my H1B then am I good to go (long shot , I know)?

At this point I have been in the US for 6 years. 5 years on F1 and about 16 months on H1.

Any pointers or how I should proceed? Feel like my stay is coming to an end.

krishmunn
11-15-2012, 08:48 PM
You do not need original passport for H1 transfer. I am sure you have kept a copy of your passport. Use that to file H1 with the new employer