PDA

View Full Version : Mother-in-law got B2 visa in second attempt!!

India2Indy
08-10-2012, 01:43 PM
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences which definitely helped others like me. I thought I too should share my experience of getting a B2 visa for my widowed mother-in-law.

First Attempt: I sponsored her visa. The visa officer asked few questions about the family and handed her the denial letter. Even though my sister-in-law is unmarried and living with my mother-in-law, the visa officer wasn't convinced that she had strong ties back home. It is crazy to think that having an unmarried daughter is not a strong enough tie to go back, but who knows what was going through that visa officer's mind.

Second Attempt: Even thought a lot of my friends recommended trying again only after couple of months, we thought we would give it try in couple of weeks so that we can bring her over before the winter. We decided to try a bit differently the second time. She self-sponsored her visa the second time. Also, she made a specific mention about the recurring income from house rent & bank deposits. I think that did the trick and she got the visa!!

Here is my two cents - I think self-sponsoring and establishing proof of recurring income increases the chances of getting visa for single parents, who are not employed. We almost lost our hope when we read several stories of single/widowed parents getting their visas denied. Luckily, my mother-in-law got her visa!

I hope this info helps. Good luck to you all!!

MCQ
08-10-2012, 05:19 PM
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences which definitely helped others like me. I thought I too should share my experience of getting a B2 visa for my widowed mother-in-law.

First Attempt: I sponsored her visa. The visa officer asked few questions about the family and handed her the denial letter. Even though my sister-in-law is unmarried and living with my mother-in-law, the visa officer wasn't convinced that she had strong ties back home. It is crazy to think that having an unmarried daughter is not a strong enough tie to go back, but who knows what was going through that visa officer's mind.

Second Attempt: Even thought a lot of my friends recommended trying again only after couple of months, we thought we would give it try in couple of weeks so that we can bring her over before the winter. We decided to try a bit differently the second time. She self-sponsored her visa the second time. Also, she made a specific mention about the recurring income from house rent & bank deposits. I think that did the trick and she got the visa!!

Here is my two cents - I think self-sponsoring and establishing proof of recurring income increases the chances of getting visa for single parents, who are not employed. We almost lost our hope when we read several stories of single/widowed parents getting their visas denied. Luckily, my mother-in-law got her visa!

"who knows what was going through that Visa Officer's mind"...............

Sorry to tell you mate, but what was going through his mind were Probably American cultural norms, and indeed most Western cultural norms, where this is , essentially an ok practice. Especially if the daughter is of an age to take care of herself.

Do not pre-suppose that these people will take your cultural practices into account when they decide who they will let into their country. That is conceit and arrogance, I'm afraid. And I've seen to much of it from my own community being Irish, even though we share many of the same values as the Americans.

It's ok to vent at injustice as you see it, but remember, look isn't the guys on the other side's viewpoint first and their worldview before you do, and then vent constructively. This post did not

McQ

srikant9
12-10-2012, 12:37 AM

Great news...Which consulate? If I may ask how much funds were shown and for how many days was the travel? How many years of visitors visa did she get?

sunil9911
12-17-2012, 10:40 AM
How they issued B2 visa for mother-in-law? , looks like there are still loop-holes, Anyway how long can she stay in US?