PDA

View Full Version : rental car with indian DL

sac-r-ten
08-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Hello IVians,
My brother, along with his family, would be here in California (san jose) for a long term assignment. He is trying to get a International Drivers Permit in India, but due to bureaucracy/red tape/corruption he might not get it in time before his departure.

He will be renting car initially and will take some time as well to get his state drivers license . so my question is, will the rental car companies issue you a rental on just the Indian Driver License, or is it necessary to have IDP as well. He would be in SanJose/MountainView area.

thank you.

shreekhand
08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Why does he need a International Driving Permit ? It is not required or recognized as valid in CA any most of the other states.

Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#international)

Secondly, since Indian licenses have English on it, there is zero need for a international permit.

Wonder why people plan to get it when coming to the US!

krishmunn
08-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Why does he need a International Driving Permit ? It is not required or recognized as valid in CA any most of the other states.

Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#international)

Secondly, since Indian licenses have English on it, there is zero need for a international permit.

Wonder why people plan to get it when coming to the US!

Good to see one sensible post. I wonder in this age of internet why cannot someone simply google and they will know that all the RTO touts/agents/dalals in India simply fleece people in name of IDP.
I would just make a small correction to your post --- instead of "most of the other states" it is "all states of US". Basically IDP is a translation in 8 different language which says that you have a valid license from your home country. IDP should ALWAYS be accompanied with the original license.
If your license is in English there is no need of IDP in US.

OP, as shreekhand said, IDP has ZERO value. Your brother can rent using Indian license. He will need a international credit card for most rental company. I have done that once when I returned to US after leaving permanently (well .. I thought permanetly :) )

foobar2001
08-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Will second (or third!) what the others said: the IDP is just a translation document, and unless your indian DL does not have license details mentioned in english, you don't need IDP at all to drive in any US state.

sac-r-ten
08-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I had personal experience while using IDP here in NC state back in 2005. Enterprise would rent me the vehicle on my Indian license though it was in English. When I said I have my IDP, the manager checked both my IDP n license n i got the rental. This was the case with many others whom i knew then. So was just checking if someone actually had good exp. in CA recently with only Indian license.

foobar2001
08-05-2012, 08:36 AM
I was able to rent on indian DL in NY and WA. If you want to be sure, just call up enterprise/budget/hertz to confirm - am fairly certain at least one of them will rent on indian DL.

Good luck!

Quadrucle
08-06-2012, 08:46 AM
While we are on the topic, any one knows if US driver license is valid in India?

krishmunn
08-06-2012, 11:31 AM
While we are on the topic, any one knows if US driver license is valid in India?

Legally, yes ...based on 1949 Road Traffic Convention. But I bet the traffic cops will just dump that and ask for bribe

For more information on IDP and Internatioal DL see this --- http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21317.pdf

krishmunn
08-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I had personal experience while using IDP here in NC state back in 2005. Enterprise would rent me the vehicle on my Indian license though it was in English. When I said I have my IDP, the manager checked both my IDP n license n i got the rental. This was the case with many others whom i knew then. So was just checking if someone actually had good exp. in CA recently with only Indian license.

Enterprise cannot and should not insist for IDP . From MA RMV site -- "Although some countries require a foreign motorist to possess an IDP, the United States has not done so."

I suggest send an email to Enterprise (or whichever rental you want to use) with the question and take the answer while renting. I did the same and did not have problem with Enterprise (in MA though).

Quadrucle
08-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Legally, yes ...based on 1949 Road Traffic Convention. But I bet the traffic cops will just dump that and ask for bribe

For more information on IDP and Internatioal DL see this --- http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/21317.pdf

Thanks!