PDA

View Full Version : How much pay should we aim for after green card

uma001
07-25-2012, 09:23 AM
How much pay should a hard working guy aim for after getting green card considering following scenarios
1 - Both full time and consulting positions.
2 - Short term and long term consulting positions.
3 - Both parents working or only one parent working.
4 - Work where you live or commute every week.
5 - Start a consulting company
6 - Do Executive MBA and then start a company

Thanks

kishorda
07-25-2012, 09:33 AM
My friend neither education nor green card will get you better pay if that was the case then every citizen would be rich. End of the day you have to prove you capability at interview and while at job.

MahaBharatGC
07-25-2012, 09:44 AM
How much pay should a hard working guy aim for after getting green card considering following scenarios

Thanks

Hey dude - u r asking for career counselling..go consult a career adviser....ultimately it is you, ur talents, ur situations and your negotiation skills decides your monetary worth...

There is always a saying, aim high so that you will try to get there..:)

uma001
07-25-2012, 09:50 AM
I am not talking about a person who has education, capability, knowledge, masters degree but no luck. Since no green card, he cannot go for higher position. I have seen people who do not know anything are working as managers, directors etc but they want me to work for them all the time, but I am fed up with their skills.
The question I posted is like career counselling , because nobody here to guide me becos everybody wants to gain from me but not to help me out thats why I posted here. i want to change my plans after getting green card.
I can get good position , but in a dilemma should I go for good position or pay or if wife and husband works for average salary, is that good enough?

uma001
07-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Correction:

I am talking about a person who has education, capability, knowledge, masters degree but no luck

I am not talking about a person who has education, capability, knowledge, masters degree but no luck. Since no green card, he cannot go for higher position. I have seen people who do not know anything are working as managers, directors etc but they want me to work for them all the time, but I am fed up with their skills.
The question I posted is like career counselling , because nobody here to guide me becos everybody wants to gain from me but not to help me out thats why I posted here. i want to change my plans after getting green card.
I can get good position , but in a dilemma should I go for good position or pay or if wife and husband works for average salary, is that good enough?

madras1
07-25-2012, 09:55 AM
I heard some companies give 20% hike and a promotion automatically after you get your green card. :rolleyes:

ronhira
07-25-2012, 09:58 AM

Thanks

if you ask on this forum like this.....How much pay should we aim for after green card?

i would say u don't deserve any pay..... neither do u need exec. mba to start a company

MahaBharatGC
07-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Correction:

I am talking about a person who has education, capability, knowledge, masters degree but no luck

Just my 2 cents of advice!
More responsibility when you go up the ladder..more political battles there..
So, first find out what you like to do...enjoy family time and other things or simply likes to be a boss for authority and money...
Go and read about great people about what they did and how they achieved success to find out your inner fire....and go achieve it..
There is no use of luck if you are not ready to grab it when the door opens for you...

uma001
07-25-2012, 10:00 AM
if you ask on this forum like this.....How much pay should we aim for after green card?

i would say u don't deserve any pay..... neither do u need exec. mba to start a company

LOL...If not here, where can you ask? You need to know peoples opinion. In a forum like this, friends from diff situations, diff environments , will share their opinion.

uma001
07-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Point noted

1 - first find out what you like to do...enjoy family time and other things or simply likes to be a boss for authority and money...

The door opens for us when luck is on our side.
Just my 2 cents of advice!
More responsibility when you go up the ladder..more political battles there..
So, first find out what you like to do...enjoy family time and other things or simply likes to be a boss for authority and money...
Go and read about great people about what they did and how they achieved success to find out your inner fire....and go achieve it..
There is no use of luck if you are not ready to grab it when the door opens for you...

WAIT_FOR_EVER_GC
07-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Point noted

1 - first find out what you like to do...enjoy family time and other things or simply likes to be a boss for authority and money...

The door opens for us when luck is on our side.

You are waiting a thread with these questions. I beleve an educated person will not have
such kind of questions.
Madras1 says companies give 20% after green card. Please name a few good companies not consulting companies who fear of losing a body(source of income) may give a hike.

I feel you need basic education on growth and prosperity. I do not know in what company you are in but you should seriously change this company of yours.

hpandey
07-25-2012, 01:43 PM
LOL...If not here, where can you ask? You need to know peoples opinion. In a forum like this, friends from diff situations, diff environments , will share their opinion.

What do you expect will happen after you get your GC ? I assume you are thinking next day you will go to your HR and show your GC and tell them to make you a manager and give a pay hike ...

I have people in my company who are on H1 and full time employees and at director level (much higher than a manager ). GC or no GC. Your career growth and pay depends upon your technical skills , networking and management skills.

Btw a lot of people with GC and citizens are getting laid off too because of outsourcing. I wonder why the GC is not getting them a great pay package.

The only advantage of a GC I see are
1. You don't have to get your EAD and AP renewed every year which costs a lot of money and headache.
2. You can go anywhere you want and come back without the hassle of paperwork.
3. Your countdown to citizenship starts ..

Apart from that GC and your career have limited connection to each other .

SGP
07-25-2012, 02:38 PM

Thanks

I think a million each quarter should be ok. I can live with that ....... LOL:p;):D:D:D:D:D:D. I will be getting greened soon.......and I will approach you when you have your own company. Please don't get us wrong, but honestly it is up to the individual what he wants to do and how much he/she wants to make.

uma001
08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
You guys did not understand my post or my situation.

I am currently working as a consultant (just a consultant not manager not director)...I am working for consulting company. I cannot apply for a manger or director for contracting positions fear of not getting another project as a manger once its completed. I asked you guys for advice what should I do after I get green card.I know I am not educated. Thats why I am asking you educated people. Should I look for full time employee as team lead in a nice company so that career will progress (manager and then director) or remain as consultant....etc., etc., One need not be educated to become a manager . If he has high school education thats good enough. :) LOL

pappu
08-23-2012, 09:06 AM
You guys did not understand my post or my situation.

I am currently working as a consultant (just a consultant not manager not director)...I am working for consulting company. I cannot apply for a manger or director for contracting positions fear of not getting another project as a manger once its completed. I asked you guys for advice what should I do after I get green card.I know I am not educated. Thats why I am asking you educated people. Should I look for full time employee as team lead in a nice company so that career will progress (manager and then director) or remain as consultant....etc., etc., One need not be educated to become a manager . If he has high school education thats good enough. :) LOL

Not sure I understand your question from what is highlighted in red.

Salaries are based on your skill and employer's need. People on H1B have high salaries as well as low salaries. It is all about which company a person is in, what his skill level is, how much demand is there for him and how much he can negotiate.

Question for you- Are you coming for the rally?

ktmailserv
10-02-2012, 02:22 PM
I heard some companies give 20% hike and a promotion automatically after you get your green card. :rolleyes:

you have been mis-informed then. In general, don't believe everything you hear and read!
don't be naive!

simple.life
10-02-2012, 09:28 PM
i am with the OP on this one. If you feel like you were taken advantage off while on H1 and did not get a fair pay then now with green card you are feeling like... "ok these guys need to pay up as i am not taking their shit anymore" then yes by all means go for it. Ask for a raise and if they don't give it you then do want you want: fight or flight.

where you went wrong was putting a number like 20% in your question. we can't answer that.

anyway, don't get scared to ask for a raise. You wont be the first or the last to do so.

ivgclive
10-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Correction:

Why would one need luck if he/she has education, capability, knowledge & masters degree?

Green Card does not bring luck, opportunity or flowers etc

There are H1Bs who get more than 150K (!)
There are EADs who own their own business for more than 5 years (!!)
There are Green Card holders who get unemployment benefits (!!!)

pappu
10-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Why would one need luck if he/she has education, capability, knowledge & masters degree?

Green Card does not bring luck, opportunity or flowers etc

There are H1Bs who get more than 150K (!)
There are EADs who own their own business for more than 5 years (!!)
There are Green Card holders who get unemployment benefits (!!!)

And there are some US citizens who are homeless and beggars.

So it's all about luck, skills and the ability to take risks in life if one wants to grow. Greencard is a facilitator towards the higher goal. But it is not a guarantee for success if you do not use it properly. For example there are so many people who have filed 485 and have EADs. But they do not want to use EAD and play safe. Some who have used EADs and taken risks were able to jump jobs, start a side business and so on to move up the ladder.

simple.life
10-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Green Card does not bring opportunity

Green card does bring opportunity and lots of it. What is doesn't bring is the drive or hunger to move to the next big thing.

GC brings the opportunity to apply for any job you want without the roadblock of visa. It brings the opportunity to speak your mind at work without worrying about getting fired. GC brings the opportunity to get better home loans but most importantly GC brings the opportunity to become an US citizen.

chtummala
10-08-2012, 02:47 PM
uff you should know what a green card is ..