PDA

View Full Version : Chances of getting OPT after conversion from H4 to F1 after 2 semesters in masters..

aradhanashukla86
07-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi,

I am currently on H4 visa and planning for MS.I have few queries regarding conversion from H4 to F1 and then applying for OPT.My queries are as follows-

1. As i am planning to keep my status as H4 for first year of my studies as i will get benefits of in-state residency for reduction in fee .

2. And planning to change my status to F1 the next yr of my MS.So that while filing for OPT that is 4 months before the completion of my Masters i could be on F1 status.

But, i just wanted to confirm that do i need to be on F1 for 1 full year before i apply for OPT or just i need to be on F1 at the time i apply for OPT?? Also in one of the blogs some students were in doubt that if they change their status from H4 to F1 for the Next yr i.e after completion of two semsters, while applying for OPT i.e 4 months before the completion of Masters; they would not have completed ONE FULL YEAR as F1 status ..so will it create hindrance to get approval for OPT in that case ??????

Thanks in Advance!!

Chaiharsha
06-15-2013, 03:06 PM
I have the same predicament. However I was told at my university that I need to be a full time student (doesn't matter if on H4 or F1) for 1 year before I apply for OPT. Can any one of you please substantiate this claim?

veracruz
06-16-2013, 09:30 AM
This is what I know as both my children experienced this........

Eligibility: To be eligible to apply for OPT, you must
be in F1 status and in good academic standing at the time of application;
have been attending a SEVIS school full-time for one full academic year (nine months);
not have engaged in 12 months or more of Curricular Practical Training; and
not have completed your program nor gone beyond your I-20 end date.

Plan filing for change of status atleast 3 months before the end of H4 status.

Chaiharsha
06-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience. This is helpful.