PDA

View Full Version : How will Presidential Election impact job market in DC metro area

frustratingGC
07-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi
I live in Northern Virginia/DC metro, planning to switch job (full time/contract) in Sep/Oct month. One of my friend told, most of companies will freeze IT job positions after August, not sure what happened during 2008 election? also, will same trend continue in 2012 too?

I would appreciate your valuable thoughts on this issue.

redcard
07-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi
I live in Northern Virginia/DC metro, planning to switch job (full time/contract) in Sep/Oct month. One of my friend told, most of companies will freeze IT job positions after August, not sure what happened during 2008 election? also, will same trend continue in 2012 too?

I would appreciate your valuable thoughts on this issue.

I am assuming your friend is referring to government or government related contracting jobs. Yes these are expected to decline substantially in the coming months as the government prepares to implement the budget cuts that were agreed to as part of the debt ceiling agreement in 2011. These sequestration cuts are going to have a major impact to the economy unless the congress agrees to postpone them. These cuts are expected to effect only government related projects and spending. The DC area technology sector being highly dependent on government spending could see substantial job losses and slow down in technology sector.

However if you are on an work visa you should not be effected as most of these contracting jobs do require security clearance or a permanent status at least.

frustratingGC
07-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the information. I recently became permanent resident.

Congress voting to postpone the budget cuts may be considered after election, till that time, government contracting companies will keep their fingers crossed. Because of small number of job openings in October/November, salary/billing rate could decrease in that time.

I am assuming your friend is referring to government or government related contracting jobs. Yes these are expected to decline substantially in the coming months as the government prepares to implement the budget cuts that were agreed to as part of the debt ceiling agreement in 2011. These sequestration cuts are going to have a major impact to the economy unless the congress agrees to postpone them. These cuts are expected to effect only government related projects and spending. The DC area technology sector being highly dependent on government spending could see substantial job losses and slow down in technology sector.

However if you are on an work visa you should not be effected as most of these contracting jobs do require security clearance or a permanent status at least.