PDA

View Full Version : most comfortable airlines chicago-delhi

billu
07-07-2012, 10:54 AM
We will be travelling with an infant from chicago to new delhi in october. Looking for comfortable airline (now that american airlines has stopped direct flight) that allows two bags per person. dont want Air Indian.any experiences with Lufthansa, KLM, AIr france etc.Thanks in advance.

seetheavatar
07-07-2012, 12:29 PM
There is no flight service called Air Indian :D.kidding. Try one of those middle eastern airlines. They all allow 2 bags.

We will be travelling with an infant from chicago to new delhi in october. Looking for comfortable airline (now that american airlines has stopped direct flight) that allows two bags per person. dont want Air Indian.any experiences with Lufthansa, KLM, AIr france etc.Thanks in advance.

billu
07-08-2012, 09:48 AM
There is no flight service called Air Indian :D.kidding. Try one of those middle eastern airlines. They all allow 2 bags.

thanks for your reply. I am considering those- etihad and emirates but they are too costly. anyone had recent experience from chicago to delhi on british or air france/delta?

ZZboyz
07-08-2012, 03:03 PM
I'd stay away from euro companies, they are too tight.

gaz
07-09-2012, 10:56 AM
thanks for your reply. I am considering those- etihad and emirates but they are too costly. anyone had recent experience from chicago to delhi on british or air france/delta?

Wife travelled alone with child in AirFrance/KLM (first time with them): worst ever experience in 10+ years of travelling to India. From now on would rather pay another 500 bucks a seat on another flight than deal with this airline.

We've traveled to Delhi comfortably using Continental and British with our child - and have friends who've said good things about Emirates.

just our personal experience though - others may have had better/worse experiences - takes just one airline employee to screw up the whole trip for you. good luck!

rkg000
07-09-2012, 11:37 AM
takes just one airline employee to screw up the whole trip for you. good luck!

We traveled twice in Air India with infants. Air India is a nightmare starting from seat assignments to changing flights to keeping their schedule, all the way to not disclosing if the flight is taking a detour :mad:. Yep, detour, you didn't misread. All through this, one thing that stood out was the help air hostess provided. They were prompt when called upon and infact were checking on with us if we needed anything else. This happened both times. But I couldn't take on their logistical mess and never flew with them again once the Kids were little older.

On the other hand my wife travelling with our one year old had worst experience in Emirates. They wouldn't respond to calls, and plainly said they ran out of milk 5 hrs into flight from Dubai to NY. My son traveled rest of the journey empty stomach. I usually avoid direct flights from middle east or direct to India too. too long. While going to India it is fine as it is night journey. Its a problem on way back as it is day journey and too much time to keep the kids calm. I would suggest one stop through Europe (if you don't have Visa issues). I traveled British recently and had pleasant experience.

Popuser
07-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Hi,
I am planning to purchase air india tickets Chicago-Delhi. If you have any suggestion or experience with this route please respond.

Thanks

billu
07-10-2012, 07:23 AM
thanks for sharing your experiences. I would personally never fly Air India. Have heard so many bad/traumatic experiences from other people. I am also leaning toward either british or united/continental from NY to delhi. thanks again.

skpanda
07-10-2012, 09:57 AM
United/continental are pretty good. I prefer the direct flight. However, with a kid you may want to fly Lufthansa (1 stop at frankfurt). British Airways are OK.. not great.

Qatar is pretty good if you want the tickets to be cheaper and wont mind a 12 hour flight. Their service (food, etc) in economy is far better compared economy of other european/american airlines.

Good Luck!!

gk_2000
07-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Let me tell you this : on the flight nobody goes out of their way to make a passenger uncomfortable (except in rare incidents). When my wife traveled with infant do you know what troubled the MOST? A diaper rash!. So simply make sure she is able to keep child comfortable at all times. I have seen that giving a quick sponge bath helps when it is crying too much. And diapers need to be swapped often, and infant medications (rash cream/nasal spray/mylecon/etc) should be close at hand. Also, try to buy smallest possible sizes, otherwise they may give trouble in security. Last but not the least, travel light, and see if it is practicable to put child in sling so it will be comfortable for both when tugging luggage

gk_2000
07-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Let me tell you this : on the flight nobody goes out of their way to make a passenger uncomfortable (except in rare incidents). When my wife traveled with infant do you know what troubled the MOST? A diaper rash!. So simply make sure she is able to keep child comfortable at all times. I have seen that giving a quick sponge bath helps when it is crying too much. And diapers need to be swapped often, and infant medications (rash cream/nasal spray/mylecon/etc) should be close at hand. Also, try to buy smallest possible sizes, otherwise they may give trouble in security. Last but not the least, travel light, and see if it is practicable to put child in sling so it will be comfortable for both when tugging luggage

Oh, and to answer the question, I have heard good things about singapore airlines.. they are the best in infant travel

ivgclive
07-12-2012, 04:41 PM

If the kid depends on external resources (milk, diaper, food, medicine, toys, books), you get worst experience even if you rent Air Force 1 from President of US.

Have the following in your "Reserve" when the on-board crew run out of items:
* Milk powder if not feed by mother
* Food, biscuits
* 5 - 7 sets of clothes, towels, wipes, etc
* Basic cover-up medicines from your pediatric (cold, caugh, fever, diarrhea, rash cream), Dr. will give in advance for international travel, including Azithromycin
* Take few essential toys and books
* A load of diapers (!!!), fill as much you can till you meet the carry-on weight.

Till end of August, every flight takes off with at least 50 kids. Serving them milk, diaper, food, medicine, the agencies should run a Babies R Us in each filght, so expect the worst from the crew, they won't do baby-sitting up in the sky.

It is not how much money you pay makes the travel comfortable, it is the PREPARATION that gives you the cushion. Choose Emirates, Singapore Airlines or Lufthansa, few hundred bucks extra, but they make the adult travel easier.