View Full Version : Selling property in India and the process

06-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Hello all,

I am Gururaj Challa, working here in Overland Park, Kansas on H1B Visa. My Family members are selling a property which is on my Grand Father's Name. As he expired long back, as per law, all Grand Children should sign the papers to sell the property. Since I am in US now, I can't go to India for this. From the sources I came to know that following options I have got and not sure if they can be followed.

1. Get the No Objection Certificate notarized (signed by Notary Public in a Bank) that details about the Property which states that other legal-hairs can sell the property.

2. Get the Sales Deed doc on a Stamp Paper from India and Sign it and get it notarized by Public Notary as above and then send it back to India.

3. Power-Of-Attorney to an Agent who can sell/ have authority to sign the papers on behalf of me, which should get notarized by public notary, and then attested by Indian Ambassador/Consulate General of India and then send that POA to India.

Could you please tell me which one is the correct way to proceed so that my Family members should be able to sell the property without any issues?

Also, If we need attestation by Consulate general of India compulsorily, do we need to put the matter into a Stamp Paper or just on white paper works? If Stamp Papers, where can I get them?

Please do the needful and explain the procedure in detail as I am not that familiar in these matters. Your quick response is much appreciated and that relieves me a lot.

Thanks and Regards,
Gururaj Challa.

06-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Option 3. It was not notarized. Power of Attorney document giving power to my Dad was prepared in India and send to me. I send it along with Passport and fees to Indian Consulate and got it attested.