PDA

View Full Version : H4 wife encounter with DMV

Lica
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi All

So happy that I found this forum. I am on H4 and it is very frustrating with all the obstacles that we encounter on this visa. I am in NY in Westchester county and I went to the DMV office in the Bronx to apply for my license. I took all the relevant documents because they deal only with points even before you can get to do the written test ( 6 points). I HAD THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS: 1. pp and I-94, 2. letter fron SS office stating reason why I do not have ss#, 3. debit card, 4. USCIS H4 document and still the clerk told me I cannot be granted my license.

Anyone in NY on H4 visa, please tell me your expereince and which DMV office you went to because apparently I believe some workers at those offices do not even know the rules and policies when dealing with H4 holders.

Thanks

njverifier
06-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Hi All

So happy that I found this forum. I am on H4 and it is very frustrating with all the obstacles that we encounter on this visa. I am in NY in Westchester county and I went to the DMV office in the Bronx to apply for my license. I took all the relevant documents because they deal only with points even before you can get to do the written test ( 6 points). I HAD THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS: 1. pp and I-94, 2. letter fron SS office stating reason why I do not have ss#, 3. debit card, 4. USCIS H4 document and still the clerk told me I cannot be granted my license.

Anyone in NY on H4 visa, please tell me your expereince and which DMV office you went to because apparently I believe some workers at those offices do not even know the rules and policies when dealing with H4 holders.

Thanks

We had a similar experience in NJ. They said your H1 spouse should accompany you along with his proofs for 6 points. Can you post reason for rejections and that clear up some more things...

pappu
06-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi All

Thanks

To my understanding H4 and that too without SS# cannot get Driver Licensee. H4 with SS# have issues too. I suggest checking the archives on this forum. There are many threads discussing this topic in detail.

vidyas_m
06-14-2012, 11:02 AM
To my understanding H4 and that too without SS# cannot get Driver Licensee. H4 with SS# have issues too. I suggest checking the archives on this forum. There are many threads discussing this topic in detail.

My wife has gotten Drivers License in Nevada and Oklahoma being on H-4 status without SSN.

pappu
06-14-2012, 11:07 AM
My wife has gotten Drivers License in Nevada and Oklahoma being on H-4 status without SSN.

Good to know that NV and OK do not have issues.
DL issues can vary by state.
check US Driver License - Immigration Wiki (http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/index.php/US_Driver_License)

njverifier
06-14-2012, 11:09 AM

Pappu,

When my wife went to get her learning license in NJ, first she was asked to produce the non-availability for SS# letter from SS office. Once we took that they said I have to carry all 6 point documentation along with original SS# card along with my wife's 6 point documentation. Then they said you should produce a proof that you both are living together like bank statement with joint account or 2 individual statements with same address on it. Once we produced that they noticed that my address on DL was different that the current address ( old address is just 2 miles apart from the current address). So first they asked me to correct my address which I did and then they went for I-94 verification which they came back and said cannot find my wife status so we have to contact USCIS. It was very frustrating. I insisted on re-checking the I-94 attached to the passport thats when they found her status and issued her learners license(after passing the exam). The clerk at the window was looking at the I-94 attached to the H4. Though it was frustrating I was successful in getting my wife's LL.

Lica
06-14-2012, 11:11 AM
We had a similar experience in NJ. They said your H1 spouse should accompany you along with his proofs for 6 points. Can you post reason for rejections and that clear up some more things...
Thanks Njverifier.

H4 spouses can get drivers license. I believe some offices ( well I should say the workers) are not even sure or knowledgable about this. As long as they see you do not have a ss#, they automatically blank out and refuse you. The lady told me that I do not have the 6 points. On the NY DMV documents they lined out what documents gives you how much points. The ss office told me they should not refuse me to do the test. I did my research long before I went there so I was sure that I had all the relevant documents. If anyone encountered the same, please let me know which office you went to and was granted your license (once you pass) *smile*

Lica
06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Pappu,

When my wife went to get her learning license in NJ, first she was asked to produce the non-availability for SS# letter from SS office. Once we took that they said I have to carry all 6 point documentation along with original SS# card along with my wife's 6 point documentation. Then they said you should produce a proof that you both are living together like bank statement with joint account or 2 individual statements with same address on it. Once we produced that they noticed that my address on DL was different that the current address ( old address is just 2 miles apart from the current address). So first they asked me to correct my address which I did and then they went for I-94 verification which they came back and said cannot find my wife status so we have to contact USCIS. It was very frustrating. I insisted on re-checking the I-94 attached to the passport thats when they found her status and issued her learners license(after passing the exam). The clerk at the window was looking at the I-94 attached to the H4. Though it was frustrating I was successful in getting my wife's LL.
So happy for your wife. They are just not deligent at these offices. It is very frustrating. I explained to the clerk all the documents and she asked for my I-94 which was stapled to my USCIS doc. She told me to bring a credit card !! seriously??? I just took my husbands' name off the electricity bill and put it in my name and use my tax id # so I can get a bill in my name which gives me another point.
It is a scarifice being on H4 which I get and understand but they are just making our lives more difficult and frustrating as it is already being home and cannot work !

imh1b
06-14-2012, 11:24 AM
So happy for your wife. They are just not deligent at these offices. It is very frustrating. I explained to the clerk all the documents and she asked for my I-94 which was stapled to my USCIS doc. She told me to bring a credit card !! seriously??? I just took my husbands' name off the electricity bill and put it in my name and use my tax id # so I can get a bill in my name which gives me another point.
It is a scarifice being on H4 which I get and understand but they are just making our lives more difficult and frustrating as it is already being home and cannot work !

Dependent visa H4 means not allowed to work. It is clear at the time of applying. Were you kept in the dark or told a lie?
You came to the country on dependent visa that does not allow to work. If you wanted to work in USA why did you get H4? You should have come on H1 or find an H1 job. H4s should not be complaining about not being able to work. It is a big lie. If they want to work, they can find work themselves and get H1 like us on H1B.

njverifier
06-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Did your husband include your name in the lease? If yes then take it along with you and also take your husband will all the 6 point docs for him(including his SSN). If no, ask him to get the lease amended to all the names living with you in your apartment. The lease will be very handy in a lot of other situations especially when you are new in this country.

njverifier
06-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Irrelavant answer, this discussion is not about whether H4 spouse can work or not it is about getting a DL. If you don't know the answer keep away from the thread.

njverifier
06-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Irrelavant answer, this discussion is not about whether H4 spouse can work or not it is about getting a DL. If you don't know the answer keep away from the thread.

Sorry, I responded to a wrong post... My comments were meant to imh1b.

Dependent visa H4 means not allowed to work. It is clear at the time of applying. Were you kept in the dark or told a lie?
You came to the country on dependent visa that does not allow to work. If you wanted to work in USA why did you get H4? You should have come on H1 or find an H1 job. H4s should not be complaining about not being able to work. It is a big lie. If they want to work, they can find work themselves and get H1 like us on H1B.

Lica
06-14-2012, 11:42 AM
thamks for your reply but i guess you misunderstood what I am saying.
I am not complaining about the fact that I am not working, which I knew from day one and is abiding by. I was just stating the fact that with the obstacles we encounter and that means things that H4 spouses are allowed to get and apply for are frustrating to get because the very clerks or workers are not even knowledgable about the policies regarding H4 dependants.

gc_check
06-14-2012, 11:46 AM
check US Driver License - Immigration Wiki (http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/index.php/US_Driver_License)

After the RealID ACT, many states changes the rules & regulations to get a Driver's License. NC, VA all used to give license for 5 or 8 yrs regardless of the Visa Status and this had now changed completely. They issue for the validity of Visa or EAD. If you have a valid Visa, etc except B1 or Visitor they you should be able to get the DL. Try with another DMV office, you might come across someone who knows/has knowledge on these. Also see below links

NYS DMV - Driver License, Learner Permit and Non-Driver Photo ID Card (http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#driversfromothernations)
NYS DMV - Driver License, Learner Permit and Non-Driver Photo ID Card (http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#newdrivers)

You must have proof of identity. The proof must have a total value of at least six points and must prove your date of birth. If you do not have 6 points of proof of identity, your parent or your legal guardian can complete form MV-45 at a DMV office and show proof of identity.

Since you are a dependent, go with your Spouse and see if that helps to get that additional points as mentioned in below post
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum49-new-york-ny/3022011-h4-wife-encounter-with-dmv.html#post3480473

Lica
06-14-2012, 11:53 AM
yes my name is onn the lease, on the bank account. I took my pp with I-94, my lease, copy of ss office letter, debit card, copy of my USCIS document. In my previous post i stated i took my husbands' name off the electric bill and put my name on it instead. that will grant me another point so my next trip to the DMV office I should expect another result .Regarding my husbands' documnet, yes we presented it to the clerk as well and she told me, his docs has nothing to do with my points.

kiran_pathuri
06-14-2012, 12:03 PM
When we went to get a driving license for my wife in Atlanta, GA they asked us for a letter from SS office that states why she cannot get an SSN and our marriage certificate as her last name has been changed after marriage. We went with the letter from SS office, address proof (lease agreement), passport, marriage certificate and I-94. She got her driving license without any issues. And the duration is for the validity of her I-94. It costed us nothing for written test, learners license and $25 for license after road test.
Latter we moved to Iowa, and now she has an SSN as she has worked in between on H1. We went to DMV with SSN, passport, I-94, address proof (lease agreement, BTW. in Iowa any letter addressing her is good enough) and she got license for 2 years even though her I-94 is valid for only one more year as in Iowa they can give license till validity of I-94 or upto a maximum of 2 years if i-94 validity is less than 2 years. It costs only $8 for driver's license in Iowa and nothing for written test.

I guess it is much more easier and cheaper in South and Mid west than in North.

deepakd
06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
In CA, my wife has DL on H4

Lica
06-14-2012, 12:11 PM
wonderful ! I know some states have different regulations and some are much easier than others.

Lica
06-14-2012, 12:14 PM
my goodness ! 8 bucks? seems like we will have to relocated there.. lol

giri26
06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
My wife got her DL easily in IL. She renewed the license too recently without any problems.

akred
06-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I would try a different office, since procedures and training differ slightly at each office.

Lica
06-14-2012, 12:21 PM
that is exactly what my husband and I said.

TeddyKoochu
06-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi All

Thanks

Refer to the following link from NYS DMV - http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/id44.pdf

Try making your 6 points as below.

Passport + I 94 - 3 Points
Bank Statement / Credit card - 1
Health Ins card - 1
Utility Bill or Apartment Lease - 1

Me and my wife (When on H1 and H4) have transferred our out of state license in NY we went to the DMV in White Plains Mall, the out of state license helps to get 3 points though.
For H4 holders they will fax over your details to Albany to verify your status, if you manage to reach here earlier in the day its ok they take 3-4 hours in the whole process if everything is in order. This location is accessible by both bus and Metro-North; parking is all paid in the mall area. Unfortunately in every state baring a few exceptions the first trip to the DMV is just a learning experience.

Lica
06-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Refer to the following link from NYS DMV - http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/id44.pdf

Try making your 6 points as below.

Passport + I 94 - 3 Points
Bank Statement / Credit card - 1
Health Ins card - 1
Utility Bill or Apartment Lease - 1

Me and my wife (When on H1 and H4) have transferred our out of state license in NY we went to the DMV in White Plains Mall, the out of state license helps to get 3 points though.
For H4 holders they will fax over your details to Albany to verify your status, if you manage to reach here earlier in the day its ok they take 3-4 hours in the whole process if everything is in order. This location is accessible by both bus and Metro-North; parking is all paid in the mall area. Unfortunately in every state baring a few exceptions the first trip to the DMV is just a learning experience.
thanks teddy. Am familiar with white plains so probably I might try that office instead.

sky1929
06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
My Wife went through similar issues in NY (Long Island office) 3 months ago. Looking back all the back and forth we had (3 visits to DMV) was because we didn't understand what they were looking for. All they need is H4 visa (I-94), Letter to prove you are not eligible for SS# and documents that total to 6 points

We used following for 6 points

Passport: 3 points
Debit card: 1 point
Credit card: 1 point
Health Insurance Card: 1point (Should be straightforward if your company provides health insurance for both of you)

Make sure debit and credit cards are from different banks and clearly identify which one is debit and which one is credit. They don't allow same bank for both. I had Bank of America cards for both and they didn't allow that on second visit but DMV folks were kind enough to suggest us to go nearby and open account at TD bank which gave us cards immediately and we went back same day. Didn't have to stand inline as DMV gave us pass to skip line.

All in all from experience, DMV was extremely polite and helpful but they were at the end bound by the rules.

GCHope2011
06-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Completely unrelated and ridiculous rant. Looks like you are having a bad hair day..

Lica
06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
My Wife went through similar issues in NY (Long Island office) 3 months ago. Looking back all the back and forth we had (3 visits to DMV) was because we didn't understand what they were looking for. All they need is H4 visa (I-94), Letter to prove you are not eligible for SS# and documents that total to 6 points

We used following for 6 points

Passport: 3 points
Debit card: 1 point
Credit card: 1 point
Health Insurance Card: 1point (Should be straightforward if your company provides health insurance for both of you)

Make sure debit and credit cards are from different banks and clearly identify which one is debit and which one is credit. They don't allow same bank for both. I had Bank of America cards for both and they didn't allow that on second visit but DMV folks were kind enough to suggest us to go nearby and open account at TD bank which gave us cards immediately and we went back same day. Didn't have to stand inline as DMV gave us pass to skip line.

All in all from experience, DMV was extremely polite and helpful but they were at the end bound by the rules.
thanks for your response. the credit card was in your wifes's name or was it in your name? My husbands' company does not provide insurance so he does not have an insurance card.

UKannan
06-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi All

Thanks

I also went thru same situation and we bought a bike...

sky1929
06-14-2012, 12:50 PM
thanks for your response. the credit card was in your wifes's name or was it in your name? My husbands' company does not provide insurance so he does not have an insurance card.

Both credit and debit cards were on her name.. but she got them as "authorized user" on my existing ones.

Lica
06-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Both credit and debit cards were on her name.. but she got them as "authorized user" on my existing ones.
ok. The debit card I have, but we are still trying to get an institution to give us credit which I wrote about on another forum.

LondonTown
07-03-2012, 01:33 PM

Pappu: Florida is okay too..!!

ihaveadream
07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
ok. The debit card I have, but we are still trying to get an institution to give us credit which I wrote about on another forum.

The easiest solution for credit card is to go for a secure credit card. I would recommend Bank of America for the same. After 6-8 months you can easily get a regular one.

shouldIwait
07-07-2012, 03:59 PM
In Texas we just need to carry proof-of-employment along with all the regular documentation mention above. No issues at all. I carried an employment verification letter from HR.