PDA

View Full Version : Follow to Join (on 485)

Svee
06-13-2012, 10:39 AM
I recently heard of this "follow to join". Seems this is like -- if a derivative abandons the 485 OR was not able to file the 485 jointly, but is married legally before 485 filing date.... ONCE the GC is approved, the derivative can file some paperwork at the foriegn embassy & then obtain the GC.

Is this true? Can someone confirm this? Does it apply for EB category? Applies for all countries?

( I plan on moving my family back & if it all i get my GC in the next 2-3-5... years, i can move them back....It is difficult to maintain the AP year over year,travelling back and forth....eAt least use the GC as a back up plan)

njverifier
06-13-2012, 12:25 PM
I recently heard of this "follow to join". Seems this is like -- if a derivative abandons the 485 OR was not able to file the 485 jointly, but is married legally before 485 filing date.... ONCE the GC is approved, the derivative can file some paperwork at the foriegn embassy & then obtain the GC.

Is this true? Can someone confirm this? Does it apply for EB category? Applies for all countries?

( I plan on moving my family back & if it all i get my GC in the next 2-3-5... years, i can move them back....It is difficult to maintain the AP year over year,travelling back and forth....eAt least use the GC as a back up plan)

I found this interesting and very valuable link after I googled the topic:

Follow to Join question: Unique case [Archive] - Immigration Voice (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-2973778.html)

looks like follow to join can be filed after GC is approved. Please read the entire thread. If you have questions you can post it on avvo.com for free, a practicing immigration attorney will answer your question.