PDA

View Full Version : Don Bosco online university

psaxena
05-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know or has any degree from Don Bosco online University. I am planning to enroll in MBA program for my career growth and later to apply for EB2 application. In the accreditation it says it is recognized by the UGC. Seems a legit unversity still looking if someone has any experience with it. Its is very cheap and seems the best option.
The website is dbuglobal dot com

amadhireddy
05-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Try Western Governors University (WGU). its reputed, relatively inexpensive, its run by 19 state governors, regionally accredited and has a stamp of approval from Time Magazine, NBC, LA times etc, and the reviews are great. if you are committed, the program offers flexibility to complete within 1 to 1.5 years.

WGU Online University | Online Degree Programs, Accredited Bachelor's and Master's (http://www.wgu.edu/home2)

Suva
05-30-2012, 11:25 AM
But do they accept 3 years degree?

Try Western Governors University (WGU). its reputed, relatively inexpensive, its run by 19 state governors, regionally accredited and has a stamp of approval from Time Magazine, NBC, LA times etc, and the reviews are great. if you are committed, the program offers flexibility to complete within 1 to 1.5 years.

WGU Online University | Online Degree Programs, Accredited Bachelor's and Master's (http://www.wgu.edu/home2)

amadhireddy
05-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Depends on the evaluation you get from credential evaluation agency. Try WES (world education services), they equate 3 year degree from certain Indian universities to US bachelors. you can get an evaluation preview for 25$.

World Education Services - International Education Intelligence (http://www.wes.org/)

psaxena
05-30-2012, 11:39 AM
I already applied to WGU and gone through everything, but they do not accept 3 years degree for MBA. After having issues with them I started looking at other option.

Also what is wrong with the UGC recognized university and Don Bosco's Degree. Also I get the same MBA for $2000, instead of $14000 from WGU.

Suva
05-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Where do you see the cost of the program?

I already applied to WGU and gone through everything, but they do not accept 3 years degree for MBA. After having issues with them I started looking at other option.

Also what is wrong with the UGC recognized university and Don Bosco's Degree. Also I get the same MBA for $2000, instead of $14000 from WGU.

ndbhatt
05-30-2012, 04:00 PM
I might be completely off but wouldn't a University domain be .edu.. .com domain is usually commercial. Maybe all these Universities have become commercial business centres ;)

pmpforgc
05-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Any online degree is dont worth the paper it is printed on. Never go for any completely online degree. If one/two courses are online which are not major course for that degree/program that may be OK.

Join some evening college or weekend program if you dont have time but go to online degree of any university including public university.

If you just want degree you might be able buy from some where in India paying appropriate fee.

If you are hiring manager, please dont hire any one with online education. Please go into depth of education if you are interviewing the candidates . If you find some one educated online degree/program or for profit university you will regret hiring that candidate.

pmpforgc
05-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Any online degree is dont worth the paper it is printed on. Never go for any completely online degree. If one/two courses are online which are not major course for that degree/program that may be OK.

Join some evening college or weekend program if you dont have time but DONOT go to online degree of any university including public university.

If you just want degree you might be able buy from some where in India paying appropriate fee.

If you are hiring manager, please dont hire any one with online education. Please go into depth of education if you are interviewing the candidates . If you find some one educated online degree/program or for profit university you will regret hiring that candidate.[/QUOTE]

WhyThisOnePostDi
05-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Only U.S. accredited postsecondary institutions are eligible for .edu domain.

I might be completely off but wouldn't a University domain be .edu.. .com domain is usually commercial. Maybe all these Universities have become commercial business centres ;)

psaxena
05-30-2012, 06:44 PM
I myself is a hiring manager.. LOL !! and I don't think you should go beyond making an opinion "DONOT GO TO ONLINE UNIVERSITY" ??? what was that. You can give your opinion but please don't order.

Change yourself with the latest trend forget online colleges there are online schools also. What is wrong with the online university? This is the new world of education embrace it, when I can get the same thing at the comfort of my house and time , why choose on campus courses?

All I was asking was, does anyone has any first hand experience with this university , but its quite apparent no one has. This is a legit university with all the recognition ,and had nothing less than what my university had , where I completed by graduation.

Also higher education is not going to make any difference to the professional who has 14 years of experience nor will anyone look at the credentials while hiring. I want to do it strictly for my GC and may be in the process I may learn something.

Join some evening college or weekend program if you dont have time but go to online degree of any university including public university.

If you are hiring manager, please dont hire any one with online education. Please go into depth of education if you are interviewing the candidates . If you find some one educated online degree/program or for profit university you will regret hiring that candidate.

psaxena
05-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Select course from the left menu and make the selection , after that you can download the brochure with all the details.

Where do you see the cost of the program?

Suva
05-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks

Select course from the left menu and make the selection , after that you can download the brochure with all the details.

pmpforgc
05-31-2012, 08:20 AM
I myself is a hiring manager.. LOL !! and I don't think you should go beyond making an opinion "DONOT GO TO ONLINE UNIVERSITY" ??? what was that. You can give your opinion but please don't order.

Change yourself with the latest trend forget online colleges there are online schools also. What is wrong with the online university? This is the new world of education embrace it, when I can get the same thing at the comfort of my house and time , why choose on campus courses?

All I was asking was, does anyone has any first hand experience with this university , but its quite apparent no one has. This is a legit university with all the recognition ,and had nothing less than what my university had , where I completed by graduation.

Also higher education is not going to make any difference to the professional who has 14 years of experience nor will anyone look at the credentials while hiring. I want to do it strictly for my GC and may be in the process I may learn something.

Just to add in response to your answer that I am in the field of education since last twenty yrs in India and US. I am have experiences teaching online as well as regular class room courses at public institutions. I am involved with engineering and technology education from day one after graduated with my BS. So I know what are the plus and minus in both types of educations.

I understand as long as you dont want to learn anything/gain anything from your proposed degree online degree or just a degree certificate should be fine. I am sure on intense search you will be able to find for profit accrediated universities which can provide you what you need for your GC purpose.

Still I just want to advise any one who is hiring candidates carefully evaluate the knowledge/skill/experiences of the any one who has online degree or has significant portion of major related courses done online.

bond4u
05-31-2012, 01:05 PM
All due respect to your experience. You shouldn't generalize upcoming trend in education. Online universities are no longer offered by only diploma mills but Harvard, Stanford and all other Ivy league universities are offering courses online. You are dead wrong if you say you cannot develop new skills with online training. I continuously learn new technologies offered by vendors online which I find as good as in person training and those training offered by renowned industry experts with best seller book in respective areas.

Also if you are so fond of traditional training then please look at "Bill Gates" who dropped college although not a case of online learning but Kevin Systrom is who is Instagram founder have no formal training/degree in programming or coding but he did mostly online. Would you recommend hiring managers to not to consider him?

bond4u
05-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know or has any degree from Don Bosco online University. I am planning to enroll in MBA program for my career growth and later to apply for EB2 application. In the accreditation it says it is recognized by the UGC. Seems a legit unversity still looking if someone has any experience with it. Its is very cheap and seems the best option.
The website is dbuglobal dot com

Try search geteducated.com for regionally accredited universities in US for EB2 purpose or try to complete BS degree in US with regionally accredited universities.

gk_2000
05-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Just to add in response to your answer that I am in the field of education since last twenty yrs in India and US. I am have experiences teaching online as well as regular class room courses at public institutions. I am involved with engineering and technology education from day one after graduated with my BS. So I know what are the plus and minus in both types of educations.

I understand as long as you dont want to learn anything/gain anything from your proposed degree online degree or just a degree certificate should be fine. I am sure on intense search you will be able to find for profit accrediated universities which can provide you what you need for your GC purpose.

Still I just want to advise any one who is hiring candidates carefully evaluate the knowledge/skill/experiences of the any one who has online degree or has significant portion of major related courses done online.

Most practical subjects like programming in any language can easily be self taught, and if there is a video available it is all the better.
I guess what online misses out on is the human interaction between the student and the teacher, and this could make a difference if the teacher is eminent. This would make a difference, maybe in the teaching of something like Economics or Management, which are not hard sciences but need instillation of some way of thinking

All due respect to your experience. You shouldn't generalize upcoming trend in education. Online universities are no longer offered by only diploma mills but Harvard, Stanford and all other Ivy league universities are offering courses online. You are dead wrong if you say you cannot develop new skills with online training. I continuously learn new technologies offered by vendors online which I find as good as in person training and those training offered by renowned industry experts with best seller book in respective areas.

Also if you are so fond of traditional training then please look at "Bill Gates" who dropped college although not a case of online learning but Kevin Systrom is who is Instagram founder have no formal training/degree in programming or coding but he did mostly online. Would you recommend hiring managers to not to consider him?

Harward/Stanford etc do not give out degrees or even certificates for their online stuff. You just join them to slog your mind out and in the end being nothing more than a Guinea pig for their research on how to do online

bond4u
05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Most practical subjects like programming in any language can easily be self taught, and if there is a video available it is all the better.
I guess what online misses out on is the human interaction between the student and the teacher, and this could make a difference if the teacher is eminent. This would make a difference, maybe in the teaching of something like Economics or Management, which are not hard sciences but need instillation of some way of thinking

Harward/Stanford etc do not give out degrees or even certificates for their online stuff. You just join them to slog your mind out and in the end being nothing more than a Guinea pig for their research on how to do online

Are you serious? Harvard extension provide online degree also MIT/Stanford/Berkley uploading are same classroom lectures for online courses. Recently MIT and harvard jointly started project known as edx where they will provide certificated for their course for modest fees. If you feel like guinea pig that is your thought about yourself but all I am asking do not generalize when we have success with others.

You are correct about human interaction but their are many other benefits like design you own time in a day to learn things when you feel like learning most. Also universities are working on projects to increase interaction between student and faculties as well as between students.
But definitively, these degree will not help acquiring skills to those who needed "Danda" so far to study in their life. :)

psaxena
05-31-2012, 05:24 PM
So my question still remains the same, if MBA from Karnataka State open university or Don Bosco online university will make me eligible to apply for under EB2 ???

Please no one give me an advice of taking education for career growth and blah blah blah. I am over 30 years old and I know what I am doing here.

So guys help me in taking this decision with the EB2 perspective.

nosightofgc
05-31-2012, 05:40 PM
First of all let me give you my perspective about online MBA. I did mine from UMUC and graduated last year. The reason I chose UMUC at that time was flexibility and accreditation. It is not cheap and costed me around 35K. My company paid for it, so I did not care about the cost. I did not see any actual lectures, so every thing is learning by myself. So this is one big draw back I see with online degrees unless there are actual lectures and active group discussions.

I saw a few others did their MBAs in campus and their careers did not advance much. In fact they messed up their jobs due to the focus on studies. So at the end it all depends on the individual's capability.

For EB2, if you have 3 years degree for that alone Masters will be helpful. If you already have a 4 years degree, then for EB2 Masters is not required but it is preferred to have to get lower number of resumes during posting etc.

gk_2000
05-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Are you serious? Harvard extension provide online degree also MIT/Stanford/Berkley uploading are same classroom lectures for online courses. Recently MIT and harvard jointly started project known as edx where they will provide certificated for their course for modest fees. If you feel like guinea pig that is your thought about yourself but all I am asking do not generalize when we have success with others.

You are correct about human interaction but their are many other benefits like design you own time in a day to learn things when you feel like learning most. Also universities are working on projects to increase interaction between student and faculties as well as between students.
But definitively, these degree will not help acquiring skills to those who needed "Danda" so far to study in their life. :)

I have not come across a degree from these places that is available to do entirely online. At best you have a certificate. And in case of MITx/EDx the certificate won't even have MIT/Harvard stamp. If you know otherwise, you can enlighten me/us here

And regarding the Guinea pig statement, I do not quote my opinion. If you read about mitx that's what you will find THEY are saying in essence. Do your homework!

pmpforgc
05-31-2012, 07:15 PM
I am sure in this world there are peoples who will be successful without any education not even online or traditional.

The learnig experiences that you gain in traditional education can not be compared with those of online degrees. Surely you can even study books in your interest area and gain knowledge/skills your self too. But learning out come of traditional education are exceptional when compared to the those of online only degrees.

Like every village has engineering college in India these days, does not mean that those all colleges produces excellent engineers. Same way these days to reduce the cost and gain market outside there local area some of the institutions are trying hard to go all the way in online education, that does not mean that that can replace or match the skills/experiences and knowledge that students can get in traditional education setting.

If some one has so high opinon about online degrees, I will recommend him/her to remove kids from the traditional schools and just go for complete online schools or home schools. There is plenty of material in the books and on the internet to study by kids. I am sure that will result in lot of saving in terms of time and years to graduates if not money.

gk_2000
05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
I am sure in this world there are peoples who will be successful without any education not even online or traditional.

The learnig experiences that you gain in traditional education can not be compared with those of online degrees. Surely you can even study books in your interest area and gain knowledge/skills your self too. But learning out come of traditional education are exceptional when compared to the those of online only degrees.

Like every village has engineering college in India these days, does not mean that those all colleges produces excellent engineers. Same way these days to reduce the cost and gain market outside there local area some of the institutions are trying hard to go all the way in online education, that does not mean that that can replace or match the skills/experiences and knowledge that students can get in traditional education setting.

If some one has so high opinon about online degrees, I will recommend him/her to remove kids from the traditional schools and just go for complete online schools or home schools. There is plenty of material in the books and on the internet to study by kids. I am sure that will result in lot of saving in terms of time and years to graduates if not money.

I don't know if you had me in mind when writing the above, but I wish to respond anyway..

It is understandable that you, with a background of traditional schooling will have this kind of viewpoint.

I have experienced enough of traditional schoolings first-hand, just as everyone else here.. and in one sense, we are your customers as well as judge. And everyone know that the "customer is always right" :p

Just for the record, I am NOT saying that online is perfect or even better. Just that "students make the institution great". And if/when a few successful people emerge from the online ed world people will begin to look up and take notice

What you "traditional" people DON'T want to do, is go the way of the dinosaur. And this is what MIT etc are realizing, and are pushing ahead in that direction is the face of STIFF resistance internally

psaxena
05-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your inputs.

The MBA from Karnataka State Open university is $1850 only. Not only its cheap it is approved and accredited by UGC and DEC (Distance Education Council governed by IGNOU
Same is with Don Bosco University.

So if I have the bachelors of Science (3years) . This MBA will help me to apply in EB2.. right??

First of all let me give you my perspective about online MBA. I did mine from UMUC and graduated last year. The reason I chose UMUC at that time was flexibility and accreditation. It is not cheap and costed me around 35K. My company paid for it, so I did not care about the cost. I did not see any actual lectures, so every thing is learning by myself. So this is one big draw back I see with online degrees unless there are actual lectures and active group discussions.

I saw a few others did their MBAs in campus and their careers did not advance much. In fact they messed up their jobs due to the focus on studies. So at the end it all depends on the individual's capability.

For EB2, if you have 3 years degree for that alone Masters will be helpful. If you already have a 4 years degree, then for EB2 Masters is not required but it is preferred to have to get lower number of resumes during posting etc.

bond4u
05-31-2012, 07:48 PM
I have not come across a degree from these places that is available to do entirely online. At best you have a certificate. And in case of MITx/EDx the certificate won't even have MIT/Harvard stamp. If you know otherwise, you can enlighten me/us here

And regarding the Guinea pig statement, I do not quote my opinion. If you read about mitx that's what you will find THEY are saying in essence. Do your homework!

Really you are not living in this real world. Harvard extension do require I week of residency for MS in IT per semester but you can refer GetEducated.com | Review, Rate, Rank & Compare Online Colleges & Degrees (http://www.geteducated.com) to refer plenty of universities with their accredition and program details and their requirements Tution fees. I did my homework but you seem to forget yours!

Edx is experiment for combine effort to impart quality education with help of technology. Look like you are very quick to interpret negative essence out of that.

pmpforgc
05-31-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't know if you had me in mind when writing the above, but I wish to respond anyway..

It is understandable that you, with a background of traditional schooling will have this kind of viewpoint.

I have experienced enough of traditional schoolings first-hand, just as everyone else here.. and in one sense, we are your customers as well as judge. And everyone know that the "customer is always right" :p

Just for the record, I am NOT saying that online is perfect or even better. Just that "students make the institution great". And if/when a few successful people emerge from the online ed world people will begin to look up and take notice

What you "traditional" people DON'T want to do, is go the way of the dinosaur. And this is what MIT etc are realizing, and are pushing ahead in that direction is the face of STIFF resistance internally

I have already mentioned that I am involved in both traditional and online education. And in fact teaching online classes if more convinient and easy for the faculty.

For regular scinces. engineering or technology type of programs online education is usless. If you are studying history education or buisness type programs that might make some worth still not as good as traditional. programing etc can be even self taught.

Most of the students who try to get online degree are those who are mostly dont need to learn new things they just need degree certificate to advance career or the orginal poster of this thread who just need for GC purpose.

If the thing make sense for the public or private university in terms of advancing online education, does not mean that it make worth for the students who are trying to get those degrees.

gk_2000
05-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Really you are not living in this real world. Harvard extension do require I week of residency for MS in IT per semester but you can refer GetEducated.com | Review, Rate, Rank & Compare Online Colleges & Degrees (http://www.geteducated.com) to refer plenty of universities with their accredition and program details and their requirements Tution fees. I did my homework but you seem to forget yours!

Edx is experiment for combine effort to impart quality education with help of technology. Look like you are very quick to interpret negative essence out of that.

I used the link and found all of 3 programs 100% online offering "regionally" accredited degree. Cost, about $ 33k

So, you "won" the argument. But in terms of practicality... I don't know! What use is a solution that doesn't really solve?

gk_2000
05-31-2012, 08:29 PM
I have already mentioned that I am involved in both traditional and online education. And in fact teaching online classes if more convinient and easy for the faculty.

For regular scinces. engineering or technology type of programs online education is usless. If you are studying history education or buisness type programs that might make some worth still not as good as traditional. programing etc can be even self taught.

Most of the students who try to get online degree are those who are mostly dont need to learn new things they just need degree certificate to advance career or the orginal poster of this thread who just need for GC purpose.

If the thing make sense for the public or private university in terms of advancing online education, does not mean that it make worth for the students who are trying to get those degrees.

I won't dispute any of your points, as you have stated your opinion, which is based on your experience.

Of course, I assume you are familiar with distinctions between fact and opinion. And no, I am not implying anything here.

husamymd
06-03-2012, 12:50 PM

you must have gotan a degree from online university based on your grammar and stupid language skill

gk_2000
06-03-2012, 04:40 PM
you must have gotan a degree from online university based on your grammar and stupid language skill

I suggest you leave him alone. He has lot more class than you. And Grammar also.