PDA

View Full Version : Taking break after GC

chantu
05-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I got my GC 1 year back. I want to quit my job and go to India for 2 months for vacation.

My case:

Employer A sponsored my GC. I left that company to join Employer B invoking AC21 rule. I am working with Employer B for last 2 years. Now I want to quit my job, go to India for 2 months and come back and look for new job.

Is it OK to do this? Will it have any impact on my status? Please help.

sac-r-ten
05-11-2012, 03:30 PM
I got my GC 1 year back. I want to quit my job and go to India for 2 months for vacation.

My case:

Employer A sponsored my GC. I left that company to join Employer B invoking AC21 rule. I am working with Employer B for last 2 years. Now I want to quit my job, go to India for 2 months and come back and look for new job.

Is it OK to do this? Will it have any impact on my status? Please help.

Its pretty difficult to find a job of your liking in this economy. if i were you, i would talk to the employer and ask for a unpaid leave for 2months, if not 2 then 1 month work from remote option, but something on those lines. come back after the break and find a job, never leaving the current employer at all.

good luck.

pardesibabu
05-11-2012, 03:40 PM
You are safe, go and enjoy your vacation

permfiling
05-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Its pretty difficult to find a job of your liking in this economy. if i were you, i would talk to the employer and ask for a unpaid leave for 2months, if not 2 then 1 month work from remote option, but something on those lines. come back after the break and find a job, never leaving the current employer at all.

good luck.

that way you keep your health benefits etc....Typically mid to large companies allow this as there are other resources who can do your job

chantu
05-11-2012, 07:26 PM
I don't think I will get even unpaid leave. I am also tired of continuously working for last 8 years. Just to take some break, recharge my batteries and look for job. But I do not want to it to affect my status. So just this concern.

forgerator
05-13-2012, 10:41 PM
I don't think I will get even unpaid leave. I am also tired of continuously working for last 8 years. Just to take some break, recharge my batteries and look for job. But I do not want to it to affect my status. So just this concern.

no harm in asking. if they value your services to the company they could probably give you a temporary leave of absence. You can also mention something like family problems and that you need to be with your family to resolve them blah blah. :o

sac-r-ten
05-14-2012, 09:46 AM

if you are quitting the current job, i would also suggest applying in indian companies. rather than sitting idle, you can explore different roles in new environment/company. you can always quit and execute your return plans after a year.

on a side note. i worked for last 14years, right after my engg without a break. the longest vacation i took was in 2007 for 3weeks, that was the last time i visited my parents in india. i don't see a GC for next X years, so no break for me this life. but thats life.

bpratap
05-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Guy's

Please don't make it look more complex than it is. If you have GC, you are OFF the hook and can do what ever you wish for.

for GC holders, you cannot stay more than 180 days (continuously) out of the country. so if anyone quits job and take couple months off, outside USA. you are still GOLDEN.

gk_2000
05-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Hi natu
have a nice trip. don't worry. Buy some good knight, so you will sleep better