View Full Version : Can somebody tell me what my options are and if I have any??

05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
My husband is a Canadian citizen. He had moved to the US with his parents and lived here for about 20 years. His parents have dual citizenship for here and in Canada, along with his younger brother. My husband was only classified as a Permanent Resident because his parents didn't acquire citizenship here until after he was 18 years of age. My husband and I met in New York state in April of '02, married in NY in July of '03, and our daughter was born also in NY of September of '03. My husband got into some legal trouble in July of '03 and again in April of '04 and was sentenced to 3 1/3 to 7 years in NY state prison. He spent 3 1/2 years in prison, in which time he was notified by INS that his status was in question due to his legal problems. After spending that time in prison, he didn't want to await a trial with further incarceration until his hearing with INS. Instead of waiting he signed off his legal rights to remain in the US and was voluntarily deported back in September of 2007. Since his return to Canada, we've learned that the reasoning behind his legal troubles has all been due to the fact that he suffers from Bipolar Disorder (in which he is on medication now and living a more stable life). I was wondering if there's anything we can do to reapply for his rights to move back into the US... as his father, mother, brother, spouse (myself), daughter, and unborn child (I am now 8 weeks pregnant) all live in the US and have citizenship here. Can anybody please tell me if we have any options, and what they are. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond... with much appreciation!