PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help- L1 to H1

Ashishmittal
04-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Dear Friends,

I am currently working in US for Company A
VISA: L1A
Visa and I-94 valid till 5th July 2013

I wanted to have H1B approved this year just in case my Company A asked to go back to India. I found a consulting company who is ready to file H1B now.

Questions:

Can you please tell me what will happen on Oct 1st 2012 ?

Am I still authorized to work for company A after Oct 1st 2012? If no, then please suggest me some way I can avoid automatic conversion from L1A to H1B on Oct 1st 2012?

I wanted to make sure that I am working on L1-A after Oct 1st 2012 and keep looking for some good opportunity on H1-B

Your quick response on this matter is highly appreciated !!!!

Rb_newsletter
04-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Can you please tell me what will happen on Oct 1st 2012 ?

Am I still authorized to work for company A after Oct 1st 2012? If no, then please suggest me some way I can avoid automatic conversion from L1A to H1B on Oct 1st 2012?

I wanted to make sure that I am working on L1-A after Oct 1st 2012 and keep looking for some good opportunity on H1-B

This is similar to "if one has h1b/I-94 valid for a year and he loose his job. How much time he has to leave the country? Or how much time he has to find a new job?". There is no clear line drawn for this. Sooner the better.

You cannot start working for company B until Oct 1st for sure. H1b is valid from Oct 1st. And you don't have to start day one. But you have to start as soon as possible.

Note: Talk to your company B attorney and see what he feels.

Another way is apply for H1B without COS (change of status). Without COS means you will H1B petition approved without I-94. So you can stay in L1. And when you get your dream project then you may go get your H1B stamping and come back.

Ashishmittal
04-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the response.

Can you please tell me if my H1B is denied. Can I still continue to work on L1-A?

GCHope2011
04-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the response.

Can you please tell me if my H1B is denied. Can I still continue to work on L1-A?
If you apply for a change of status and it is denied, your original status still remains valid as there was no change to your status.

If you applied for a new H1 without change of status, and the new H1 gets denied, then anyways your L1 remains valid.