PDA

View Full Version : Have H1B, travelling to India via JFK

gccovet
04-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Hi,
I have a valid H1B stamped on my passport, flying from Charlotte (Via Delta)-JFK(IA) -Mumbai

I have 8 hours of transit time in JFK, can I get out of the Airport and visit NY etc? Please note, I won't have a boarding pass as the domestic carrier(Delta) will not issue an international boarding pass for IA and IA counter will open only 3-4 hours before the flights departure time.

I will have only one backpack with me in my handy luggage as rest will be already checked in till Mumbai by Delta(domestic).

Any suggestions?
Thanks, in advance.

krishmunn
04-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Are you asking from Legal perspective or from timing perspective ?

Legally , as long as you have valid I-94 you are free to go anywhere in US. Hand over I-94 to AI (not Delta)

As for time, you can probably take a trip to Times . Don't go to Statue of Liberty. With Ferry timings and queues , you might get delayed

gccovet
04-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Are you asking from Legal perspective or from timing perspective ?

Legally , as long as you have valid I-94 you are free to go anywhere in US. Hand over I-94 to AI (not Delta)

As for time, you can probably take a trip to Times . Don't go to Statue of Liberty. With Ferry timings and queues , you might get delayed

I am asking from legal perspective. Would I have to enter the airport from "Departure Gate" at JFK and approach IA counter for boarding pass? Just wanted to make sure I dont get in any trouble.

Thanks for your reply.

njverifier
04-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Hi,
I have a valid H1B stamped on my passport, flying from Charlotte (Via Delta)-JFK(IA) -Mumbai

I have 8 hours of transit time in JFK, can I get out of the Airport and visit NY etc? Please note, I won't have a boarding pass as the domestic carrier(Delta) will not issue an international boarding pass for IA and IA counter will open only 3-4 hours before the flights departure time.

I will have only one backpack with me in my handy luggage as rest will be already checked in till Mumbai by Delta(domestic).

Any suggestions?
Thanks, in advance.

You anyway have to go to IA counter which I am pretty sure is out of the security check area to collect the boarding pass and go through the security check again. Be advised that JFK is far away from the city. It takes a good 1 hour in subway to get to times from JFK. Forget about taking a cab as the traffic in New York city is crazy.

njverifier
04-05-2012, 08:35 AM
I am asking from legal perspective. Would I have to enter the airport from "Departure Gate" at JFK and approach IA counter for boarding pass? Just wanted to make sure I dont get in any trouble.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't see any legal issue here and I am pretty sure your I-94 will not be collected by the domestic airlines as they are not issuing the international boarding pass... Have a safe trip and post your experiences.

gccovet
04-05-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't see any legal issue here and I am pretty sure your I-94 will not be collected by the domestic airlines as they are not issuing the international boarding pass... Have a safe trip and post your experiences.

Thank you very much, I will get out of JFK and go around, better than to sit at the airport :-).
I will post my experience later.
TC

sunny1000
04-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Thank you very much, I will get out of JFK and go around, better than to sit at the airport :-).
I will post my experience later.
TC

You can take the air train over to the Jamaica station and take the subway from there to midtown. It will take you an hour probably. It is cheaper than a cab (cabbies charge a flat fare of $55 or so to anywhere in Manhattan, can't remember the correct amount).

Just make sure you are back atleast 1.5 hours before the departure time to clear security.

Have a nice and safe trip both in NY and in India!