PDA

View Full Version : 485 Stuck in background check

immigrationvoice12
03-16-2012, 03:34 PM
After infopass learned that the application for me and spouse is stuck in background processing. Anyone else have any experiences with this ?
Thanks Folks

rvendra
03-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Yes My I 485 is pending for several years.
I am trying all possable options.

vbkris77
03-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Contact Senator/Rep. if you application is pending for more than the standard time under their processing times.. If no luck after that, you can file WOM against USCIS in a court.

Rb_newsletter
03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
you can file WOM

What is WOM?

krishmunn
03-16-2012, 04:33 PM
What is WOM?

Writ of Mandamus . It is a lawsuit which forces USCIS to take a decision on pending petition within a fixed time (I think 15 days or something like that)

looneytunezez
03-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Writ Of Mandamus ..... Google it

moonrah
03-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Writ of Mandamus . It is a lawsuit which forces USCIS to take a decision on pending petition within a fixed time (I think 15 days or something like that)

And I guess that decision could go either way???? Better not to make them mad...

coolpal
03-17-2012, 09:35 PM
I was told the similar thing (extended review) when I became current again in July 2011, and was asked to wait for about 6 months... and after 6, I was asked to wait 90 more days as it's being assigned to an officer, and finally last week I got the approval emails.

Not saying your's will be similar to my case, but I've read about people who got the same response and got the approval in a couple of months and I know people who had to wait like me for about 10 months, and there are others who are still waiting beyond the 10 months. WOM is the only sure way to get a decision in a finite time, but then again thats technically suing USCIS, so you better hire a good lawyer.

immigrationvoice12
03-17-2012, 10:54 PM
I was told the similar thing (extended review) when I became current again in July 2011, and was asked to wait for about 6 months... and after 6, I was asked to wait 90 more days as it's being assigned to an officer, and finally last week I got the approval emails.

Not saying your's will be similar to my case, but I've read about people who got the same response and got the approval in a couple of months and I know people who had to wait like me for about 10 months, and there are others who are still waiting beyond the 10 months. WOM is the only sure way to get a decision in a finite time, but then again thats technically suing USCIS, so you better hire a good lawyer.

That's really the info I was trying to get. Did you know about background check through lawyer. Any idea why extra check. The rfe was for birth certificate. Sigh....

mzc123
03-17-2012, 11:10 PM
That's really the info I was trying to get. Did you know about background check through lawyer. Any idea why extra check. The rfe was for birth certificate. Sigh....

when did you file your AOS? Was it during 07 fiasco or recently? If recently, how did you manage to get Infopass, can you share more details please? thanks

immigrationvoice12
03-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Updated the profile.

to InfoPass.. (http://infopass.uscis.gov/)
Choose the following option. You need information or other services

SOme folks are getting information by just going to center directly.

coolpal
03-18-2012, 08:25 AM

Firstly, I see that you have applied for 485 only recently (as apposed to 2007), so if they say it's under background check or something similar, then I guess you shouldn't worry much until after 6 months are so... that's the max time they should hold your case for FBI name check.

My case was a little different. I applied in July 2007 fiasco, and I was assured that my FBI name check was completed in 2007, and in spite of all that, they held my case up until last week, and the whole processes is as opaque as it can get.. I tried pushing them to tell me why they are holding my case using local congressman's office and yet the best answer I got was that "USCIS works with various agencies besides FBI, and at the time they were waiting to hear from some of those agencies"... Though I do not believe that, and I frankly think they might have misplaced my paperwork since they moved my case from Texas to Nebraska and had a very lengthy RFE for which I had to send literally 100s of documents.

I hope you get it sooner rather than later, and wish you the best of Luck.

pal :)

pendingi485
07-27-2012, 01:21 PM
I am in a similar situation, Filed during 2007 fiasco and still in initial review.

Multiple FPs, EADs & APs over the last few years.

I got a call from congressman (with whom i have been trying to get help) today saying that both my file is lost. They cannot find it.

Now the congressman wants to "reconstruct" the case & wants me refile I-485. But the USCIS wont send any letter, as they dont want to make it official.

Did you get any response for your reply to USCIS?

Chandini
07-27-2012, 01:45 PM
I filed my 485 in 2004 and was suppose to get my GC in 2007 cause of Background check i was stuck and i wrote to senators and Congress men BUT of no use. Finally i got clearance from my background check. After several calls to my attorney and info pass.

I am still waiting for my case to become currect.

I have multiple FP, EAD's AP's over last 8 years.

There are several people who were stuck in the background check in the 2007 GC fiasco.

I have been waiting for 9+yrs and all my friends got GC's. My attorney says that one must wait to become current.

Let me know what you are doing ??

I am in a similar situation, Filed during 2007 fiasco and still in initial review.

Multiple FPs, EADs & APs over the last few years.

I got a call from congressman (with whom i have been trying to get help) today saying that both my file is lost. They cannot find it.

Now the congressman wants to "reconstruct" the case & wants me refile I-485. But the USCIS wont send any letter, as they dont want to make it official.

Did you get any response for your reply to USCIS?

pendingi485
07-27-2012, 02:17 PM
we are in the same boat, just wanting for USCIS to let us know from their side so that we can proceed.

I will update you more by next week after the infopass

Chandini
07-27-2012, 04:45 PM
My CASE has Been cleared long LONG back.

You have to just wait for 6 to 9 months.

Good luck.

we are in the same boat, just wanting for USCIS to let us know from their side so that we can proceed.

I will update you more by next week after the infopass

2classcitizen
07-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Every one here has the same poignant question "when will I get my green card "
USCIS adjudicate 485 as per the priority , they adjudicate ( finalize ) 485 based on the current priority dates from the department of state .
Priority date is the date the LCA if filed or approved depending upon the case .
Background checks don't take too long , it the magic of the priority dates that decides your fate . for the last 10 years , priority dates in BE 2 and EB 3 having been moving back and forth .
Priority date is not the date you file your 485 , or 140 , its the date the LCA is filed or approved .
so check your priority date which can be written on your I -140 .
Also I agree with some of the people that don't make the USCIS mad by filing the writ of mandamus , not that they get mad , its in my experience that it delays the movement of your files and I think for USCIS , one day is equal to 3 months , so if you disturb them by 2 days , your 6 months are gone and they days keep on multiplying .

*** I am not an attorney and no where near it ,this is not a legal advice ***