PDA

View Full Version : Creditcard with no international fee

pillagandhi
03-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Just bought a ticket with etihad airlines using Bank of america and they slapped me with a $100 fee. There was no way I could have known this as etihad showed the price in dollars and I went through their US protal

BOA as usual skimming people of their money

can any of you suggest a credit card which does not do these scams.

sguntaka
03-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Capital One, Discover cards doesn't charge conversion fees.

BTW, Etihad is not good in my experience. Good luck !!!

veereddy
03-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Just bought a ticket with etihad airlines using Bank of america and they slapped me with a $100 fee. There was no way I could have known this as etihad showed the price in dollars and I went through their US protal

I recently travelled on Etihad at the time of booking the ticket my travel agent told me Etihad will charge additional amount if I use BoA credit card so I used American Express.

MahaBharatGC
03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Always use the card that does not charge Foreign Currency Conversion Charge.
Every card has some fine Card Member agreement that states it clearly.
If you are not sure, call credit card before using it.

Capital One card definitely does not charge. Discover, it varies...as it is not that popular across the world...

krishmunn
03-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Chase - IHG Priority Club --- no foreign transaction fee and if you get the right promo -- 80K points (equivalent to 5 nights in most Holiday Inn).

There are a lot of cards which do nto impose foreign transaction fee.
In your case, how did you book the ticket ? If it is through one of the US based Travel Websites (Expedia/Orbitz etc) challenge the charge and BOA will waive it. If not complaint through https://help.consumerfinance.gov/app/creditcard/ask as well as to the Attorney General of your state.

gganu
03-13-2012, 02:17 PM
I always use the Capital One card. They have no foreign transaction fees and have a very very competitive conversion rate. Make sure you inform your credit card company about your travels though.

Have a fun trip!

pillagandhi
03-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Chase - IHG Priority Club --- no foreign transaction fee and if you get the right promo -- 80K points (equivalent to 5 nights in most Holiday Inn).

There are a lot of cards which do nto impose foreign transaction fee.
In your case, how did you book the ticket ? If it is through one of the US based Travel Websites (Expedia/Orbitz etc) challenge the charge and BOA will waive it. If not complaint through https://help.consumerfinance.gov/app/creditcard/ask as well as to the Attorney General of your state.

Thank you. Called bank of america and disputed the charge. They r going to pay me back

krishmunn
03-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Thank you. Called bank of america and disputed the charge. They r going to pay me back

Glad it helped. Don't forget a 20% commission for me :)