PDA

View Full Version : which airlines has US-INDIA open return ticket with minimum fee?

injrav
02-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi All

I am planning to bring my in laws to USA on visiting VISA. [Bangalore to New York]
Their departure date is confirmed,, but not RETURN date.
So what are the best options available for OPEN RETURN TICKET with minimal fee?

swarnapuri
02-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Qatar charges rs 2000 for the change in date.

I also heard British Airlines also has minimal fee.

skal
02-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi,
No Airlines will allow you to buy open tickets, as they are travelling on B1/B2 they need to have a return date confirmed for them to pass through at POE. Usually everyone brings in their parents/in-laws with 6 months return date so that they will be granted 6months stay in USA.

sastrykvp
02-27-2012, 10:36 AM
I just did this last week. Singapore charged me $20.

TheNewTiger
02-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Hi,
No Airlines will allow you to buy open tickets, as they are travelling on B1/B2 they need to have a return date confirmed for them to pass through at POE. Usually everyone brings in their parents/in-laws with 6 months return date so that they will be granted 6months stay in USA.

Skal.What you say is wrong. Open tickets are possible and valid for B1/B2.

injrav
02-27-2012, 11:32 AM
As per QATAR, Kuwait, Emirates airlines websites

they are allowing open tickets with the name
SEMI FLEXIBLE -- one time change accepted with fee around 2000 rupees-- [not refundable except death of passenger or immediate family member]
FLEXIBLE--changes accepted with out any fee,,, refundable[in case trip canceled].

But I am looking input from our forum members who actually CHANGED the booking date

Assume that return date is 15th October, 2012
Now I wants to change it to 1st Novebmer, 2012..
If I call airlines around September last week for this date change then what they do
1) just charge predetermined fee and reserve the ticket for new date
2) predetermined fee + [new ticket price-old ticket price]? if this is the case how can customer find the new ticket price?
I am looking for airlines who will give first option.. i.e. who will charge only predetermined change fee and no change in airline ticket price

injrav
02-27-2012, 11:35 AM
I just did this last week. Singapore charged me $20.

Did they charged only 20$ or any price difference between old ticket and new ticket
If this is the case how can we find out new ticket price?

krishmunn
02-27-2012, 11:46 AM
As per QATAR, Kuwait, Emirates airlines websites

they are allowing open tickets with the name
SEMI FLEXIBLE -- one time change accepted with fee around 2000 rupees-- [not refundable except death of passenger or immediate family member]
FLEXIBLE--changes accepted with out any fee,,, refundable[in case trip canceled].

But I am looking input from our forum members who actually CHANGED the booking date

Assume that return date is 15th October, 2012
Now I wants to change it to 1st Novebmer, 2012..
If I call airlines around September last week for this date change then what they do
1) just charge predetermined fee and reserve the ticket for new date
2) predetermined fee + [new ticket price-old ticket price]? if this is the case how can customer find the new ticket price?
I am looking for airlines who will give first option.. i.e. who will charge only predetermined change fee and no change in airline ticket price

I did that for my MIL. She had to return sooner than planned . British Airways charged $150 change fee + fare difference. Total it came to around $450+ if I remember correct. Go for a flexi ticket if you have that in mind.

injrav
02-27-2012, 12:09 PM
I did that for my MIL. She had to return sooner than planned . British Airways charged $150 change fee + fare difference. Total it came to around $450+ if I remember correct. Go for a flexi ticket if you have that in mind.

Thanks for update

idealbrain
02-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Not sure, if Air India is still having this. I bought return OPEN TICKET for my in-laws in last year Aug (2011). Last week I called Air India reservations to book the return date for Apr 6th.. of course their stay was extended by 2 months.

I think Open ticket is little more expensive.. so it may come close to the same price as ticket with a return date.. check with your travel agent...

injrav
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Finally I checked with one of my friend who booked recently and also used the feature to pre pone the travel date.
here is his experience related to Emirates
1) any economic ticket is allowed passengers to change RETURN date [onward date change also possible,, but we donot have first hand experience]
2) 40$ is fee to change the return date
3) they wonot charge any extra fee for ticket differences.. For example if you go through their website and identify few dates in which economy tickets available... Just call them and give dates.. They will charge 40$ and book the ticket irrespective of current price of that ticket.. One can call customer service and confirm the same.

Looks like I go with Emirates only
NOTE: I am not travel agent or marketing executive of emirates... Just found this information as I am planning to book tickets for my in laws..

Thanks

sastrykvp
02-28-2012, 07:53 PM
They charged only $20. Singapore airlines classifies seats into some classes Queen, King etc, as long as tix are available in ur class it is $20. Thats what they told me...

gk_2000
02-28-2012, 08:56 PM

Really? What did you do to make her leave early? :)

krishmunn
02-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Really? What did you do to make her leave early? :)

LOL! My luck . Sister-in-law got pregnant (in India) and so pulled her

injrav
03-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Hi All

After lot of research I found that QATAR airways has some good policy of changing returning date..
While booking only it clearly shows what kind of ticket you are purchasing like
1) web-special - no changes allowed
2) semi-flexibile
3) flexibile

I used akbar travels online [indian based travel booking company].. their rates are 100$ cheaper than airlines website.
NOTE: you need Indian credit card to book through this website... I donot know whether US credit cards allowed,, but if they allowed I donot know whether credit card company charge any service fee etc.