View Full Version : Green Card to Citizen

08-05-2009, 06:12 PM
I am Green Card Holder for 1 year now (Since July 2008). I got my green card through employment. Next year (July 2010) I plan to go and live in my home country for 4-8 years (I have to do that). I am currently employed.

I plan to get American citizenship.
My question, how can I maintain my green card while I am outside the USA and get citizenship?

Any help is highly appreciated

08-05-2009, 07:41 PM
You can apply for reentry permit which will be valid for 2 years only. You may need to come back to US and apply for another reentry permit, but it is not sure whether it will be approved.

If you stay out of US more than 6 months, you may need to explain your situation at POE regarding your absence and if the reason is valid, they may let you in.

If you stay out of US more than an year, then your GC is no longer valid. There are options for you to come back as returning resident, but I am not sure about it. You may need to consult with an attorney before making any decision.