PDA

View Full Version : Indian Passport Renewal

as469
02-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi all,
I apologize if this not the place to post this but am hoping that your experiences might help me. I am a student on F-1 visa. I lost my passport and I-94 on 12/05/2011. The passport had expired on 11/08/2011. Owing to this, I was unable to extend my I-20 which expired on 12/31/2011. I am working with my schools ISO to try and apply for re-instatement. I have spoken to immigration lawyers who give me a strong chance of re-instatement. But the Indian consulate (DC) requires proof of legal status for renewal of passport. I am within the 60 day grace period according to my ISO. Is there any way that I can obtain at least a short validity passport. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

The Alchemist
02-19-2012, 02:28 PM
...tried to go to the consulate in person? Don't you have copies of your pp with the visa stamp? Was your visa valid beyond the pp expiration date or is that expired too?

Hi all,
I apologize if this not the place to post this but am hoping that your experiences might help me. I am a student on F-1 visa. I lost my passport and I-94 on 12/05/2011. The passport had expired on 11/08/2011. Owing to this, I was unable to extend my I-20 which expired on 12/31/2011. I am working with my schools ISO to try and apply for re-instatement. I have spoken to immigration lawyers who give me a strong chance of re-instatement. But the Indian consulate (DC) requires proof of legal status for renewal of passport. I am within the 60 day grace period according to my ISO. Is there any way that I can obtain at least a short validity passport. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

as469
02-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks for your response.
...tried to go to the consulate in person?
Yes, I did go to the DC consulate asking for a temporary or short validity passport, but the lady at the counter said we don't offer temporary passports. However, Information on their website states that in certain cases, a short validity passport may be provided to students if they can produce a letter from the school proving this (I do have such a letter).
Information on the websites of other consulates states that if the visa has expired, a short validity passport (valid for 1 year) may be provided..

Don't you have copies of your pp with the visa stamp?
I have copies of the passport and visa.

Was your visa valid beyond the pp expiration date or is that expired too?
The Visa expired in 2008.

The Alchemist
02-20-2012, 05:40 PM
...documents mentioned here?

Embassy of India - Washington DC (official website) United States of America - Issue of a Duplicate Passport In Lieu of Lost or Damaged Original Passport (http://www.indianembassy.org/index.php?option=com_content&id=171)

If you do then there shouldn't be a problem! And if you don't, then ask them how you can get back to India so that you can get everything processed from there.

What exactly are you doing here in US on F1 visa - BS, MS, or PhD?

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I did go to the DC consulate asking for a temporary or short validity passport, but the lady at the counter said we don't offer temporary passports. However, Information on their website states that in certain cases, a short validity passport may be provided to students if they can produce a letter from the school proving this (I do have such a letter).
Information on the websites of other consulates states that if the visa has expired, a short validity passport (valid for 1 year) may be provided..

I have copies of the passport and visa.

The Visa expired in 2008.

as469
02-21-2012, 08:24 PM
I am getting my PhD. I am approximately 1 year away from completion. I have all the documents except for proof of legal status in the US (however, technically I am in legal status because I am in the 60 day grace period. I hope they accept that), and statement 4 in affidavit B which asks for an alien registration card and I have none. My Employment authorization expired with my I-20 on 12/31/2011.