PDA

View Full Version : Travelling through London Heathrow

ViciousCircle
02-15-2012, 10:56 AM
My H1 (stamped visa) has expired and I will be using AP for travelling through Heathrow. I know UK requires a DATV (Direct Airside Transit Visa) in such cases.

However, I do have a valid B1/B2 visa (never used but valid till 2015). Do I still need a DATV or will the B1/B2 save me ?

sudarshana_sg
02-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I just did this two weeks back- you dont need anything other than your AP document/ card. That is as good as a visa. My H1 B had expired and I had no other valid US visas stamped on my passport. They just looked at my AP and that was that.

ViciousCircle
02-15-2012, 11:30 AM
I just did this two weeks back- you dont need anything other than your AP document/ card. That is as good as a visa. My H1 B had expired and I had no other valid US visas stamped on my passport. They just looked at my AP and that was that.

That's a great news ! You travelled through London right ? Which airlines did you use ?

blademaster
02-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Why is anyone even considering traveling through London?

The first thing I tell the travel agent is no flight through Europe. Otherwise you get into this visa mess.

Unless its super cheap, of course, I agree. Try Etihad, Qatar, Emirates etc.,

sudarshana_sg
02-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I flew British Airways thru London heathrow on my way to and from india. Keep in mind that if you plan a stopover in the UK (plan on getting out of the airport, i.e, and not just transitting thru) you need to have a UK visa.

sparky_jones
02-15-2012, 03:21 PM
I flew British Airways thru London heathrow on my way to and from india. Keep in mind that if you plan a stopover in the UK (plan on getting out of the airport, i.e, and not just transitting thru) you need to have a UK visa.

I thought they needed transit visa if the H1 stamp in passport has expired. Has that changed?

gvenkat
02-15-2012, 03:34 PM
My H1 (stamped visa) has expired and I will be using AP for travelling through Heathrow. I know UK requires a DATV (Direct Airside Transit Visa) in such cases.

However, I do have a valid B1/B2 visa (never used but valid till 2015). Do I still need a DATV or will the B1/B2 save me ?

I think you should be ok. But as a principle we should not travel these airlines that require a Transit visa. I mean what kind of arrogance is that. In effect they want you to get a visa to crap in their restroom. Unless until you plan to actually visit the UK. I don't see a reason to travel through UK or obtain a transit visa.

ViciousCircle
02-15-2012, 04:19 PM
I think you should be ok. But as a principle we should not travel these airlines that require a Transit visa. I mean what kind of arrogance is that. In effect they want you to get a visa to crap in their restroom. Unless until you plan to actually visit the UK. I don't see a reason to travel through UK or obtain a transit visa.

The only thing is, it is looking a lot cheaper to fly through LHR in summer (Virgin Atlantic + Jet) . The only other option which is cheaper than this is Gulf airways but that too takes through LHR. Emirates is directly through Dubai but more expensive

sudarshana_sg
02-15-2012, 07:57 PM
You do not need an kind of a visa for the UK unless you plan on leaving the airport. I travelled to India and back on AP. did not have a valid us visa stamped on my passport- uk authorities or airlines did not create any issues.

sanprabhu
03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
You do not need an kind of a visa for the UK unless you plan on leaving the airport. I travelled to India and back on AP. did not have a valid us visa stamped on my passport- uk authorities or airlines did not create any issues.

Thanks for your update. From DFW, American does not fly anywhere else decent for a one stop trip to Singapore for example, so I was looking for LHR stop over which is very convenient time (just 1 to 2 hours). Emirates and Qatar have atrocious connection with a stop over of 8 hours or so which is very inconvenient for me. I will take my chance this time and see what develops.

shreekhand
03-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I think you have no idea about the number of fraud asylum seekers that come from countries that require transit visa. I also wondered about ridiculousness of needing transit visa as well, but on researching a bit further, I realized the other side of the story.

They are pretty justified in requiring transit visa.

krishmunn
03-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I think you have no idea about the number of fraud asylum seekers that come from countries that require transit visa. I also wondered about ridiculousness of needing transit visa as well, but on researching a bit further, I realized the other side of the story.

They are pretty justified in requiring transit visa.

I would tend to agree with you but question is how does it help prevent that ?

The other problem I have with these countries is , they insist on a stamped Visa even though AP probably has more weight while entering US.

snathan
03-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I would tend to agree with you but question is how does it help prevent that ?

The other problem I have with these countries is , they insist on a stamped Visa even though AP probably has more weight while entering US.

Its all money honey....

PRHolder
04-27-2012, 05:05 PM
On the UK Border Agency website listed :
UK Border Agency | Do you need a visa? (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/do-you-need-a-visa) it shows I need a visa with an Indian passport and staying in the US.

I am not sure if the Travel Permit (Advance Parole) that we have to travel back would suffix instead of the UK transit visa.

GCHope2011
04-28-2012, 01:26 PM
On the UK Border Agency website listed :
UK Border Agency | Do you need a visa? (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/do-you-need-a-visa) it shows I need a visa with an Indian passport and staying in the US.

I am not sure if the Travel Permit (Advance Parole) that we have to travel back would suffix instead of the UK transit visa.
Been through LHR on AP and no US visa - it is not needed.

vichlu
05-08-2012, 02:06 PM
That is good then. My wife was on F-1 visa with a valid stamp on her passport. She has an approved EAD/AP combo card as well. We have informed her university here in the US about her EAD and pending I-485 and they duly cancelled her F-1.
My question is, on her return to the US from India through London Heathrow, can she get away with the AP or should she conceal that and instead show them the valid F-1 stamp on her passport?
Is there anyway that UK can trace her F-1 cancellation?

Green_Always
05-08-2012, 07:34 PM
If we Travel to India via London / UK with valid GC it is good right ? no need of any kind of visa right ?

Checking people.. so that there is no surprises...

thanks - GA.

Green_Always
05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
your Views ? on this please.