PDA

View Full Version : Traveling on AP First Time - need advice

02-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Hi,

Once I receive my AP I am planning to go to India to visit my mom who is ill. I came here on F1 visa and then changed to H4. This is the first time traveling out of USA. My wife is the primary applicant.

What documents do I need to show in India immigration? What documents will I need to show in USA for re-entry.

ekaurgcf
02-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi,

If you hold an Indian Passport and is valid, no questions/documents needed to enter country of your birth. When you leave you will be asked
what valid document you have to enter US. You need to show your actuall approved and valid AP.

At POE here you need to declare that you are entering using AP and submit both the copies of AP along with your passport.

You need to have the whole I129 package along with IT returns for 2-3 years 6 months of paystubs, letter from your wife's employer that she is employed etc. Have copies of your approved I140 and the receipt of I485 .

Dont fret over this. Enjoy your trip take care of your loved ones and get back in fine.

Good luck.

extra_mint
02-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Also when you travel on AP at return you are send to Secondary (atleast it happened with me twice @ SFO). This is normal and the only reason you are in secondary is that they need to make some entries (i think they run a background check).
This happened to me twice @ SFO. Not sure about other port of entries.

02-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi,

If you hold an Indian Passport and is valid, no questions/documents needed to enter country of your birth. When you leave you will be asked
what valid document you have to enter US. You need to show your actuall approved and valid AP.

At POE here you need to declare that you are entering using AP and submit both the copies of AP along with your passport.

You need to have the whole I129 package along with IT returns for 2-3 years 6 months of paystubs, letter from your wife's employer that she is employed etc. Have copies of your approved I140 and the receipt of I485 .

Dont fret over this. Enjoy your trip take care of your loved ones and get back in fine.

Good luck.

I am sorry but what is the I129 package, also do I need to have IT returns for me or my wife.

sudarshana_sg
02-05-2012, 05:51 AM
Just did this Friday with an emergency AP. just your passport and the ap document is all that is required. To enter India, you just need a valid passport, to leave India, you need to show both the airline and the immigration official your ap document. To enter the us, just a valid passport and your ap document. Declare to the immigration officer at the point of entry in the us that you are traveling on ap. I was asked to go for a secondary inspection, but they did not ask to see any other documents. You may carry all supporting evidence of the 485 application, and copies of the petition as well, but unless they specifically ask for it, do not give them anything other than your passport and your AP document.

02-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Just did this Friday with an emergency AP. just your passport and the ap document is all that is required. To enter India, you just need a valid passport, to leave India, you need to show both the airline and the immigration official your ap document. To enter the us, just a valid passport and your ap document. Declare to the immigration officer at the point of entry in the us that you are traveling on ap. I was asked to go for a secondary inspection, but they did not ask to see any other documents. You may carry all supporting evidence of the 485 application, and copies of the petition as well, but unless they specifically ask for it, do not give them anything other than your passport and your AP document.

Thanks for sharing your info really appreciate it. I wanted to know what was your POE in USA.

Also in Mumbai India, is it easy to take your laptop, ipad and iphone through customs, Do you need to declare anything.

sudarshana_sg
02-05-2012, 10:56 AM
My POE in the US was Boston. Cleared my customs in India at new Delhi- had an iPad, laptop etc. went thru the green channel- no questions asked, breezed thru. As a matter of fact, guy in front of me in the green channel had a gigantic LCD TV in its original box, and even he wasn't stopped.

f16mav
02-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Used AP at Newark lat week. No questions asked at either immigration counter or secondary and no papers asked for except the passport and AP. It's always good to keep extra documents like pay stubs, employment letter etc just in case. My wife came in few months ago as well on AP via Newark, NJ, no questions to her either. Good luck.

02-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I am just thinking that since my wife is Primary and I am derivative...would they ask what am I doing in USA, Since on H4 I can't work should I just say that on H4 I cant work so I was not working.

Since I will be entering on EAD/AP should I tell them that I got the EAD and now after entering USA, I will be looking for job.

I just don't know what should I say.

gc_check
02-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Used AP at Newark lat week. No questions asked at either immigration counter or secondary and no papers asked for except the passport and AP. It's always good to keep extra documents like pay stubs, employment letter etc just in case. My wife came in few months ago as well on AP via Newark, NJ, no questions to her either. Good luck.

My wife came via JFK on Monday using AP. No questions asked, she just gave the Passport and EAD-AP combo card in immigration counter that is valid for 2 years. They asked her to go to secondary area, she had to wait about 15 mins - no question, She got paroled in.

However both IO in USA and the people in home country (Both Airline and Immigration) were not familiar with combo card. But USCIS does attach a separate sheet / letter with their logo - that explains about the combo card when they shipped this after approval. She just showed the letter to provide the details and they helped.

Overall the entry using AP seems to be streamlined.

MahaBharatGC
02-08-2012, 04:23 PM
All - Advanced Parole is for traveling purposes only hence all you need is valid AP document and valid passport.
If you can carry copy of I-485 receipt that is good but not required.

None of other documentation is required. You would receive AP because you are eligible to travel to USA. You do not need to prove that you are working and tax etc...:)