PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Visitor Visa approved

khasibhatla
02-01-2012, 07:01 AM
My mother's visitor visa got approved in first attempt on Feb 1st at Hyderabad Consulate. Language was TELUGU. I would like to share the experiance, as it may help some of the readers.

Background:-
1. I mentioned that I would bear all her travel expenses etc.
2. She is a pensioner and all of the properties are registered in my name for some unsaid reasons. She carried the documents for all of the properties, though they were not in her name.
3. She had an affidavit done by a local lawyer for all of the jewellry / Fixed Deposits & Bank Deposits in her name - to show the non-immigration intent. We used the sample, which is hosted on the dot com.
4. She also works at a local school in Hyderabad as a TELUGU teacher, as that's what she wanted to do all the time. So, I mentioned as "Teacher" as her profession, when I filled DS-160. When she was asked if it was a Permanant / Part-Time, she just mentioned - she could work there as long as she wanted to. And she had been working there only for the last few years, after my dad's sudden demise.

My mother wished the VO - Good Morning, and he wished her back with a smile :) She placed all of the documents, right in front of the VO, to just make sure that he knows that she carried pretty much everything that was needed for the interview.

Questions asked :-
Q: Why are you going to the US?
Visit places in US & spend time with my son & daughter-in-law.....From the recents post, I asked her, dont mention to visit my children first. She mentioned that we planned to visit places like DC, New York, Pittsburgh.

Q: Where does your son work?
It looks like the VO did not see the same company as she mentioned. She handed over the file folder (which I ensure were carried by her in a folder, provided to me by my company - with logo etc...) ; he was fine after he spent sometime digging up. I am not really sure, why she ran into this issue :). My company was recently acquired by another and my recent H1 document says - New Company / Old Company. I asked her to say "Old Company" name as that's what shows up on my Paychecks / W2 & any other official documents.

Q. When did you last meet your son/daughter-in-law?
Around a year & half ago; at the time of their marriage.

Q. Is he your only son / do you have any other children?
My mother showed a picture of herself with my sister's family - and mentioned about she being in Hyderabad.

Q. How many grand children you have ?
Just one (my sister's son). She showed the picture again.

Q. Can I see your son's Passport?
She handed over copies of both of my passports - Old & Current.

Q. Do you have any properties here?
Yes, We do. She did not go into details & even VO did not ask for any.

Q. When did you son, go to US first time?
She mentioned the year

Q. How long will you stay in the US?
Couple of months - this summer - as in summer vacation. She asked if she needed to show the letter from her school, but he mentioned it's fine.

Q. When did your husband expire? What did he do before his expiry?
She mentioned the year, and mentioned that he was a Government Employee, so she also gets Government pension, which is her primary source of income.

Q. Can you show me few bank statements & Pay slips?
She showed him the bank statements for last 6 months and payslips for last 4.5 months(around 20, as I get weekly paychecks).

Thats it....Your Visa is approved, you will receive your passport in a week's time. (He did not take any original documents / copies of any documents, other than HDFC receipt, Interview Confirmation Letter)

gcbikari
02-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience. You said language was Telugu, so was the interview in Telugu?

My mother's visitor visa got approved in first attempt on Feb 1st at Hyderabad Consulate. Language was TELUGU. I would like to share the experiance, as it may help some of the readers.

2. She is a pensioner and all of the properties are registered in my name for some unsaid reasons. She carried the documents for all of the properties, though they were not in her name.
3. She had an affidavit done by a local lawyer for all of the jewellry / Fixed Deposits & Bank Deposits in her name - to show the non-immigration intent. We used the sample, which is hosted on the dot com.
4. She also works at a local school in Hyderabad as a TELUGU teacher, as that's what she wanted to do all the time. So, I mentioned as "Teacher" as her profession, when I filled DS-160. When she was asked if it was a Permanant / Part-Time, she just mentioned - she could work there as long as she wanted to. And she had been working there only for the last few years, after my dad's sudden demise.

My mother wished the VO - Good Morning, and he wished her back with a smile :) She placed all of the documents, right in front of the VO, to just make sure that he knows that she carried pretty much everything that was needed for the interview.

Visit places in US & spend time with my son & daughter-in-law.....From the recents post, I asked her, dont mention to visit my children first. She mentioned that we planned to visit places like DC, New York, Pittsburgh.

It looks like the VO did not see the same company as she mentioned. She handed over the file folder (which I ensure were carried by her in a folder, provided to me by my company - with logo etc...) ; he was fine after he spent sometime digging up. I am not really sure, why she ran into this issue :). My company was recently acquired by another and my recent H1 document says - New Company / Old Company. I asked her to say "Old Company" name as that's what shows up on my Paychecks / W2 & any other official documents.

My mother showed a picture of herself with my sister's family - and mentioned about she being in Hyderabad.

She mentioned the year

Couple of months - this summer - as in summer vacation. She asked if she needed to show the letter from her school, but he mentioned it's fine.

She mentioned the year, and mentioned that he was a Government Employee, so she also gets Government pension, which is her primary source of income.

She showed him the bank statements for last 6 months and payslips for last 4.5 months(around 20, as I get weekly paychecks).

Thats it....Your Visa is approved, you will receive your passport in a week's time. (He did not take any original documents / copies of any documents, other than HDFC receipt, Interview Confirmation Letter)

khasibhatla
02-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Yes. I drafted the details here in English, even when the interview was in Telugu :)

mayurcreation
02-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Congratulation and thanks for sharing.

mayhemt
02-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks for sharing, khasibhatla.

One quick question: I am assuming this was in Hyderabad.. Did your mother carry your original birth certificate? if not, were the VFS folks very particular about original?

khasibhatla
02-06-2012, 11:30 AM
@mayhemt - My mother carried the "colored" copy of birth certificate, but the VO never asked her for that. They asked for the passport(both old & current copies), and that's it! Who was the VO - the lady or the mid-thirties guy? My MIL interviewed with the lady and got rejected. My mother did the interview with the mid-thirties guy & he was very very reasonable in his questions / guestures and willing to listen to the applicant.

Btw, was your parent(s)'s application rejected - 214(b) / 221(g) or something like that?

mayhemt
02-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.
I was specifically asking for VFS guys. I understand that the VO did not ask for original BC doc, and I believe there is a VFS pre-check before they send applicant to the window. So I guess they (VFS) were also not very particular either.
No, I have my parents' stamping scheduled in 2 weeks; I was hearing/reading different versions related to BC; BC is currently with me, required for GC and other reasons, and I am not very comfortable in shipping my BC (everything else I can send thru email).

nishant2200
02-06-2012, 12:22 PM
very smartly done man. your mother is a smart woman. kudos to her.

She mentioned the year

khasibhatla
02-06-2012, 01:26 PM
@mayhemt - I would probably send a soft copy of the birth certificate and ask them to take a color print-out of the same. Ask them not to mention anything about GC, and that's why you preserved the original with you. It might as well back-fire.

khasibhatla
02-06-2012, 01:30 PM
@nishant2200 - Some credit to me, with the way I helped her through the process? Naah!! I blew up my mother-in-law's interview with too much details :(

Yeah, she answered the best answers and ever she had her bit of luck, with the VO being very very reasonable in his questions / guestures and willing to listen to the applicant. I am glad she did not have to deal with the other lady VO, who was totally discourteous.