PDA

View Full Version : I-485 for spouse with FNU in visa

shouldIwait
01-28-2012, 03:48 PM
So, I'm applying I-485 for my wife on my own without using a lawyer, while my application is company sponsored and company's lawyer is taking care of it.

My wife is currently on H-4. Her passport has her first name as "Jill Doe" and last name is blank. Her H-4 visa has last name as "Jill Doe" and first name as "FNU". But in her I-94, driver's license, bank account, form DS-160 (the one you fill while applying for visa), ITIN form all have the first name as "Jill" and last name as "Doe". She has had two stamping and about 5-6 entries in the US. Never had any problem at various PoE.

Now my question is what should I fill first name and last name in I-485, G325-A (biographic sheet) etc. This situation is certainly not unique but even after extensive searching I couldn't figure out a definitive way to deal with it. We don't have the time to her passport corrected and then file for I-485. I'm hoping if anyone who has had a similar experience could chime in.

Thanks in advance !

shouldIwait
01-30-2012, 12:40 AM
bumping for your attention. Heeeeelp !

The7zen
01-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Exact Same situation:
we (lawyer) did: First Name : Empty
Last Name (Family Name): JILL DOE

All the USCIS documents we received like AP, EAD, I-94 extensions etc will have
First Name: No Given Name
Last Name: JILL DOE

Hope it helps.

shouldIwait
01-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi The7zen,

Thanks for your response. My situation is slightly different. My wife's I-94 and driver's license, ITIN card etc all have the name split as First Name :- Jill and Last Name :- Doe.

So, the question is, the name in I-485 should match with the I-94 or match with Passport or with visa, coz all three are different as explained above.

I understand that we might get RFE but what would be the best chance of not getting one.

The7zen
01-30-2012, 12:14 PM
The I-94s with the FN and LN - we never had it that way, when we fill the I-94 while entering the US, we always used the format in the Visa/AP which is "JILL DOE", FNU.
Have you ever applied for I-94 extensions, what was the name on those...if you used the
FN: JILL and LN: DOE for those extensions then I don't see a reason why you should not apply for I-485 the same way.

shouldIwait
01-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah, that's the difference.

She has never had to apply for extension, so the only USCIS docs she has are the two H4 VISA's and I-94's obtained at PoE. In I-94's she has always split her name and the immigration officer has NEVER questioned it.

I'm planning to split the same way in I-485, especially coz I filled it that way in DS-160 without problems but if someone can say they've done it without issues, it'll give me more confidence.

shouldIwait
01-30-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm sure there are many experts here who have gone through similar circumstances. Please chime in !