PDA

View Full Version : part time job on EAD through a different employer

h1bjava
01-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Applied for i-485. Once EAD is approved and I start to use it, can I take an additional job (part time or full time) from a different employer along with keeping the current job with the current employer? Please suggest.

neel_gump
01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Applied for i-485. Once EAD is approved and I start to use it, can I take an additional job (part time or full time) from a different employer along with keeping the current job with the current employer? Please suggest.

Part-time makes sense, but how can you do two full-time jobs at the same time?

h1bjava
01-27-2012, 10:41 AM
I am not sure how many hours I might need to work...Thats why I said parttime/fulltime. I plan to continue working for my employer. Is taking an additional employment with another employer after getting EAD legal?

shouldIwait
01-29-2012, 09:51 PM
I am not sure how many hours I might need to work...Thats why I said parttime/fulltime. I plan to continue working for my employer. Is taking an additional employment with another employer after getting EAD legal?

There is nothing mentioned in the law that makes it illegal BUT remember that you might have to maintain intent for permanent employment with sponsoring employer. Also in this case if you happen to leave the sponsoring employer soon after getting GC, your "intent" can get questioned even later, especially at the time of citizenship.

shouldIwait
01-29-2012, 09:53 PM
replace "might have to maintain intent" with "HAVE to maintain intent" above. I cannot edit a post :confused:

h1bjava
01-30-2012, 11:40 AM
I will continue to work for my sponsoring employer till I get gc and also even after that atleast for 6 months. So the question of intent should not come as I dont plan to quit the job from my sponsoring employer. I am asking about additional employments..will additional employment apart from the current employer on EAD legal?

The Alchemist
01-30-2012, 11:47 AM
...sometimes they have this as a policy that you can't work for another employer. Make sure you verify that also.

I will continue to work for my sponsoring employer till I get gc and also even after that atleast for 6 months. So the question of intent should not come as I dont plan to quit the job from my sponsoring employer. I am asking about additional employments..will additional employment apart from the current employer on EAD legal?

shouldIwait
01-30-2012, 12:18 PM
AFAIK, it IS legal but you have to ensure few things.

1. Check employers policies and ensure there is no violation, even if you don't want to inform them.

2. Make sure to do it ONLY part-time and for reasonable, justifiable hours.

3. Also, inform your full-time, GC sponsoring employer that you want to start using your EAD, because once you start using EAD to work for the other part-time job your visa status is automagically invalidated. They should have you fill a fresh I-9 form.

With EAD comes the pain of using AP. So make sure you know about it.